View Full Version : What Gloves?

trevez
09-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the site im Trev im 23yrs from the UK.
Im looking for advice on what gloves??

i.e what weight size?
what brands are best?
do i need wraps aswell?

I will be using them for light sparring, bag and pad work. I have read that it may depend on myself so my stats are 5ft6' and approx 88kgs. I am looking to lose quite some weight and then tone up i have taken up these boxing sessions to help me lose it!

Any help gratefully recieved!
Cheers
Trev

JayCoe
09-27-2009, 04:24 PM
what weight size?

General rule of thumb is 10 oz. fighting, 14 oz. bag work, 16 oz. sparring.

So you'll probably be looking at 14 oz. although sometimes the bigger guys go for 16 oz. Don't overstretch yourself and do bag work on 16 oz. for the sake of having bigger gloves in the belief it'll make you even faster. You can balls up your style and i'm assuming you're new to boxing, owed to the nature of your question. In which case, it was traditionally recommended that beginners go for 4 oz. "Mitts" because of their light weight, affordability, and supposed comfort. Having the lighter mitt enables you to learn the correct style and then grade up to bigger gloves in order to then build speed and stamina. It wasn't that long ago that professionals would wear mitts too. However, it does seem they've died out a little and people just tend to go for gloves.

So, in my opinion go for 14 oz. gloves.

what brands are best?

I'd go with;
Everlast (good make but to be honest I don't see many people wearing them around me, I think you have to spend a good few to get a decent pair.)

Lonsdale (Spend about 50 and you'll get a decent pair, below that you'll get ****. Traditional british make, i've got a pair of Lonsdale Super Pro Sparring and i'm very happy with them).

BBE - (A few people I know have these, supposedly they're a surprisingly good make)

Addidas, (Tend to be good for roughly 12 oz. gloves, I think you need to spend a little more to get a good set though).

Cleto Reyes. (Amazing but really expensive).

That's a few, they'll do for now.

do i need wraps aswell? [quote]

You ALWAYS need wraps, don't underestimate them. A good pair will cost you 4 or so, a **** pair will cost you 2.50-3, buy a good stretchy pair because when I first started I bought the basic Lonsdale ones for about 2. They were literally just thick bandages, no stretch in them. I hurt my knuckle and my wrist in about 3 weeks. Most decent boxing stores wont sell **** like that anyway. Do NOT go to places like JJB sports or SportsWorld for ANYTHING to do with boxing except maybe bags or whatever. I don't know if they sell them and if they do, which ones they do. Either way, for gloves, wraps, anything get it from a boxing store (most likely online).

[quote] I will be using them for light sparring, bag and pad work.

14 oz. will be fine for bag and pad work. Sparring tends to be 16 oz. your gym will probably supply you with some clean unbroken 16s just to be on the side of caution. If they don't, they're a little strange because one pair of 16 oz. may be a lot better than 16 oz. etc. I wouldn't have thought they'd get you in there with the same gloves you use for bag work as the padding in these breaks down. If you're on about gentle sparring with a partner outside of the ring, to home down some skills, 14 oz. will be fine for that.

Remember for sparring buy a decent gum-shield. Those 2 one are ****. If you want a boil-and-bite one spend about 15 or so. Look at ShockDoctor and Opro. I recommend getting one from the Dentist which is about 60 but free if you have dental insurance.

Hope this helps.

trevez
09-28-2009, 03:42 AM
Thanks, thats a great help and very informative!

I can now start my search to find a decent pair,

Cheers

mrboxer
09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the site im Trev im 23yrs from the UK.
Im looking for advice on what gloves??

i.e what weight size?
what brands are best?
do i need wraps aswell?

I will be using them for light sparring, bag and pad work. I have read that it may depend on myself so my stats are 5ft6' and approx 88kgs. I am looking to lose quite some weight and then tone up i have taken up these boxing sessions to help me lose it!

Any help gratefully recieved!
Cheers
Trevdo not worry about what gloves you are new to the sport so a trainer that has any knowledge about boxing would not fit you with a pair of gloves till at least 3 months of mirror work,so dont worry about the gloves,stand in front of a mirror and throw a jab,jab,right,after 3 months you will be fitted with the gloves,you are a novice and you are trying to get right to the top,in boxing it does not work that way you have to learn:boxing: