View Full Version : Shin Splints Help

sammyishere1
09-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I've been having pains from my left shin/calf in training recently, especially when I skipping and run.
I have been icing it and avoiding running on hard surfaces, however I still have some pain.
Anyone have good recommendations for treating it?

Del Coqui
09-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Rest it out, try do some other form of cardio.

austinlarg
09-27-2009, 03:17 AM
I've been having pains from my left shin/calf in training recently, especially when I skipping and run.
I have been icing it and avoiding running on hard surfaces, however I still have some pain.

Yeah I get a lot of people that come into work asking about this. There's a few things you can do.

1 - Consider the shoes you use to run. You get what you pay for with running shoes. Understand what brand it is and what they specialize in. This is probly the biggest thing.

2 - Try changing your footstrike when you run. A lot of heel-toe runners get shin splints. Change it one day and try running just on your toes. I've switched to this about 6 months ago and haven't had shin splints since.

3 - If you run outside, run on asphalt rather than the sidewalk.

4 - Keep your steps light when you run. The harder you step, the more shock you send up your leg.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Zhaakal
09-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Yeah I get a lot of people that come into work asking about this. There's a few things you can do.

1 - Consider the shoes you use to run. You get what you pay for with running shoes. Understand what brand it is and what they specialize in. This is probly the biggest thing.

2 - Try changing your footstrike when you run. A lot of heel-toe runners get shin splints. Change it one day and try running just on your toes. I've switched to this about 6 months ago and haven't had shin splints since.

3 - If you run outside, run on asphalt rather than the sidewalk.

4 - Keep your steps light when you run. The harder you step, the more shock you send up your leg.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Good post dude. (Y)

JayCoe
09-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Austinlarg pretty much nailed it.

One more thing though, aside from running you are very prone to getting it from skipping, especially since we tend to skip for about 20, 25, 30 minutes a night and in our boxing boots which are flat soled with practically no shock absorbing cushioning, unlike our running shoes. Skipping also promotes light footed movements which tension in our shins, alongside the repetitive impacts. So don't count out skipping.

To help avoid it from skipping

1) Nail your technique, don't do it on your toes it's more on the balls of your feet
2) Try and avoid staying on one spot, move a little. I'm not saying dance around the gym skipping, but move an inch or two each way every so often.
3) If you feel the onset of acute shin splints, skip in your running trainers. It's a little harder, they're chunkier and clumsier but you'll get used to it within 1 round. Their cushioning will prevent the shin splints properly developing.

Jab101
09-27-2009, 01:55 PM
The pain is occuring because the muscle in your lower leg is not flexible enugh to with stand your muscle, so the muscle there is too big and your body is over compensating for the lack of flexability, therefore it is ripping off your leg (hence the pain). I suggest finding some stretches to do each day, it will take about a week or two of stretching then you will be all good!

Leakbeak
09-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Consult your physician, not a bunch of laymen on a forum. Seriously! Ask alot of questions when you do and give them all the info they need

IcedBlood
09-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Consult your physician, not a bunch of laymen on a forum. Seriously! Ask alot of questions when you do and give them all the info they need

Most posters in the training section are am. fighters who will probably have suffered from shin splints in the past and know how to stop the pain + give advice on not getting shin splints again. Why waste time going to a physician when he can get all the info he needs from here?

Del Coqui
09-27-2009, 09:03 PM
The pain is occuring because the muscle in your lower leg is not flexible enugh to with stand your muscle, so the muscle there is too big and your body is over compensating for the lack of flexability, therefore it is ripping off your leg (hence the pain). I suggest finding some stretches to do each day, it will take about a week or two of stretching then you will be all good!

There you go, that makes a lot more sense than working thru the healing process.:biggthump

Derranged
09-27-2009, 11:33 PM
I get it all the time. You gotta take time off. I got shin splints real bad one time. It was to the point where I couldn't even put weight on my right leg and foot to throw a power punch.

One thing that helps a little bit is rotating your foot, that strecthes your shins a bit.

Del Coqui
09-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I get it all the time. You gotta take time off. I got shin splints real bad one time. It was to the point where I couldn't even put weight on my right leg and foot to throw a power punch.

One thing that helps a little bit is rotating your foot, that strecthes your shins a bit.

Its a painful injury, I've had it and tried different shoes, stepping lightly while running and so on and it only gets worse, taking time off, maybe two weeks, stretching with icy hot and pacing your work seems to be the answer.

lecommie
10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
hey i had trouble with shin splits and i found this helped me a lot to get rid of them. When doing some leg exercises, sit and pull your leg towards you by grabbing from the thigh. With the rest of the leg in the air, move your foot in a circular motion, as if your toe was a pencil and you were drawing circles. See how many you can do, and eventually work your way up. this will strengthen your leg and reduce the splits

Domey
10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Try walking on your heals after doing any kind of impact training on your legs. It helps a ton!

oc9979
10-07-2009, 08:19 AM

I've been having the same problem for about 2 wks. I rest it out and start again.

Phenomkidd
10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't think I've ever had shin splints. A decent amount of people on my track team complain about it a lot but I doubt they have it. I've heard shin splints are like getting your shin sawed into with tiny saws. So if I do have lower leg pain I work through it and it goes away in a day or so.