View Full Version : Montell "Ice" Griffin

Stoppage
09-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Montell Griffin was the former WBC light heavyweight champion. He holds victories over pound-for-pound greats Roy Jones Jr. and James Toney.

He also holds victories over contenders Ka-Dy King, Ray Lathon, Randall Yonker, Derrick Harmon and George Khalid Jones.

Some may argue about how the first Jones fight would have went had he not been disqualified. But you have to admit that Griffin gave Jones all he could handle and it was a pretty even fight up to the disqualification. And this was a prime Jones we're talking about.

He didn't win any other titles after the second Jones fight but he was still a good contender.

He was also only 5'7 which is very small for a light heavyweight.

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/f/f1/Griffin.jpg

Obama
09-26-2009, 09:57 PM
You forgot to add the fact that he didn't deserve to beat Toney in either fight. And the second fight was a robbery of epic proportion.

That said, he was a semi-elite fighter in his prime. That's giving him as much credit as possible for the record.

Dynamite Kid
09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Montell Griffin was the former WBC light heavyweight champion. He holds victories over pound-for-pound greats Roy Jones Jr. and James Toney.

He also holds victories over contenders Ka-Dy King, Ray Lathon, Randall Yonker, Derrick Harmon and George Khalid Jones.

Some may argue about how the first Jones fight would have went had he not been disqualified. But you have to admit that Griffin gave Jones all he could handle and it was a pretty even fight up to the disqualification. And this was a prime Jones we're talking about.

He didn't win any other titles after the second Jones fight but he was still a good contender.

I always like Griffin, he was very skilled awkward counter puncher, he was making Jones look average before Roy got DQ'd although Roy was starting to come on a bit. I thought he beat Toney 1st time no question, he ring generaled Toney, im not sure he won the second though.

Obama
09-26-2009, 10:21 PM
I always like Griffin, he was very skilled awkward counter puncher, he was making Jones look average before Roy got DQ'd although Roy was starting to come on a bit. I thought he beat Toney 1st time no question, he ring generaled Toney, im not sure he won the second though.

Did you really just turn that into a verb? :rofl:

All he did in that fight was out work Toney, who was content on rolling punches and landing the clean effective blows. Toney was also weight drained for the fight.

Dynamite Kid
09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Did you really just turn that into a verb? :rofl:

All he did in that fight was out work Toney, who was content on rolling punches and landing the clean effective blows. Toney was also weight drained for the fight.

Are you now saying that you think Griffin won the first fight then? Griffin Boxed very well imo, Toney might have not been in top shape but he should of had enough to beat Griffin, i mean its not like a Tiberi scenario where he was tired after 3 rounds and blowing out his ass and it was not exactly a hot pace.

Obama
09-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Are you now saying that you think Griffin won the first fight then? Griffin Boxed very well imo, Toney might have not been in top shape but he should of had enough to beat Griffin, i mean its not like a Tiberi scenario where he was tired after 3 rounds and blowing out his ass and it was not exactly a hot pace.

No..Toney won both fights. The first fight was just close. Griffin won maybe 5 rounds on sheer work rate. He never once made Toney look bad however.

Dynamite Kid
09-26-2009, 10:55 PM
No..Toney won both fights. The first fight was just close. Griffin won maybe 5 rounds on sheer work rate. He never once made Toney look bad however.

I thought he made Toney fight his fight, i thought Toney looked out of ideas to, it seemed to me that although they are not identical in style they do mirror each other somewhat and i think thats why Toney struggled against Griffin.

The second fight was also close though, even if you think Toney won the second it was a close fight because neither guy was winning rounds to decisively, so that always leaves room for interpretation.

1SILVA
09-26-2009, 10:57 PM

His three biggest wins were all robberies. A boring fighter with absolutely no power

JC Warrior
09-27-2009, 02:46 AM
The first Toney fight maybe you can make a case for Griffin doing something but the 2nd one, no way. His fights vs. Jones Jr., same thing. Though I was of the mind that that had as much to do with Griffin having Eddie Futch in his camp (Vs Jones #1 and a majority of Toney #1) and not having Eddie in camp for the sequels. It may not be giving Montell enough credit or too much, but I think Eddie Futch was the make it break it factor for this guy in his key bouts.

I mentioned in another thread that I got to see Ice Griffin prior to his bout versus Jones the first time around and he looked unusually good. I don't mean to derail this thread, but having seen with my own eyes Ice Griffin beating up the local favorites (some chi-mo named Frank Vassuer) I can't help but think that Griffin's successes were less to do with his talent and more to do with fortuitous coaching.

BEEHOP
09-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Montell Griffin VS Sven Ottke for the P4P title, and the G.O.A.T. award.

Spray_resistant
09-27-2009, 04:51 AM
You could have given Griffin the 1st fight, I wouldn't have but it was close. The 2nd fight was a robbery and Toney should have won. As far as the 1st Jones fight, Griffin challenged Jones in a way that he had not been challenged again until he fought Tarver the 1st time. You could actually argue that Griffin was up on the cards until the DQ. Imagine what could have happened if the DQ shot didn't happen and Griffin recovered? That would have been a 10-8 round for Jones and since it was so close it may have cost him the fight if he made it to the final bell, but I believe those shots while he was down damaged him as a fighter. Who knows what he may have accomplished had that not taken place.

Coonhound13
09-27-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm a Griffin fan. I liked his unique style and he had a very good defense. The first Toney fight was debatable but there's no way Griffin deserved the second one.

Benncollinsaad
09-27-2009, 08:25 AM
You forgot to add the fact that he didn't deserve to beat Toney in either fight. And the second fight was a robbery of epic proportion.

That said, he was a semi-elite fighter in his prime. That's giving him as much credit as possible for the record.

Untrue! He DEF beat Toney the second time. Haven't seen the first fight yet. And he was really putting pressure on Jones in that fight, it was the first time I've seen Roy fighting for his life. That alone is an achievement!:boxing:

BTW, I'm a big fan of both Toney and Jones as fighters.

TheGreatA
09-27-2009, 10:09 AM
He did well despite his physical limitations. In the amateurs he defeated John Ruiz and Jeremy Williams.

Benncollinsaad
09-27-2009, 10:48 AM
He did well despite his physical limitations. In the amateurs he defeated John Ruiz and Jeremy Williams.

Yup. I always admired Ice. I've also seen an interview with him, he's for real, no poser. He says he's doing it all for love of the game. Which I respect enormously. You have to.

1SILVA
09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Montell Griffin VS Sven Ottke for the P4P title, and the G.O.A.T. award.

Yes, the winner can fight the winner of John Ruiz vs Macho camacho. Should be two of the great fights in the history of boxing.

Benncollinsaad
09-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes, the winner can fight the winner of John Ruiz vs Macho camacho. Should be two of the great fights in the history of boxing.

You are talking crap. Griffin doesn't deserve to be put in the same booth as that German tosser!:damnit:

Stoppage
09-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I didn't think this thread would get as many replies as it did.

Anyways, Griffin's 39 now and he hasn't fought since last August. I guess age took it's toll.