09-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Whose was better. Both amazing.

1SILVA
09-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Tough call. They were the best defensive fighters of the last 25 years

Junito-Rulez
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Both were great, Pernell relied more on athleticism, Floyd more on pure technique and reaction punches. It's 50/50.

Stoppage
09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm going with Whitaker but Mayweather is still a great defensive fighter.

Obama
09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Whitaker..by a fair bit. Floyd's top notch defense will last longer tho, as he's more fundamental in his approach.

This is no knock on Floyd tho being inferior to Whitaker in this department. Floyd's offense is clearly better than Whitaker's, much more so than Whitaker's defense is better than Floyd's.

Dynamite Kid
09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Difference between Mayweather and Whitaker's defence is.............Whitaker was more aggressive and had more heart and beat better fighters.

sonnyboyx2
09-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Whitaker..by a fair bit. Floyd's top notch defense will last longer tho, as he's more fundamental in his approach.

This is no knock on Floyd tho being inferior to Whitaker in this department. Floyd's offense is clearly better than Whitaker's, much more so than Whitaker's defense is better than Floyd's.
i am sitting on the fence as far as who had the better defence goes But i cannot agree with you that Mayweathers offense was better than Whitakers, Floyd has virtually `no-offense` where as Sweet-Pea had an excellent offense

Benncollinsaad
09-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Difference between Mayweather and Whitaker's defence is.............Whitaker was more aggressive and had more heart and beat better fighters.

But the 140 and 147 divisions were not as strong in Whitaker's time as in Mayweather's, arguably.

Stoppage
09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
But the 140 and 147 divisions were not as strong in Whitaker's time as in Mayweather's, arguably.

While you can make an arguement for that, Whitaker beat the better opposition.

Floyd hasn't fought the best while Whitaker did.

Dynamite Kid
09-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Even if that is the case, which im not saying it is, it does not really hold much water because Floyd wont fight the 147 pounders and he did not fight Tszyu either.

TheGreatA
09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Zab Judah is probably the most accomplished welterweight Mayweather ever beat (and not very accomplished at that) and Judah struggled to win a split decision over a near 40 year old Rafael Pineda.

illmatickid
09-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Both were great, Pernell relied more on athleticism, Floyd more on pure technique and reaction punches. It's 50/50.

he prett much covered everything

talip bin osman
09-24-2009, 05:59 PM
having better this & better that is almost immaterial..

u assess a certain technique a fighter has by measuring the quality of their opposition...

it all comes down to it...

RightCross94
09-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Floyd's defence is more economical and more effective, Whitaker's is more athletic and cool to watch

The_Demon
09-24-2009, 07:27 PM
floyds defence relies on his boxing brain a lot more

Mugwump
09-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I agree with the assertion that Floyd's defence is based on flawless technique first and foremost, whilst Pea's was more a case of athleticism and reaction.

Obama
09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
i am sitting on the fence as far as who had the better defence goes But i cannot agree with you that Mayweathers offense was better than Whitakers, Floyd has virtually `no-offense` where as Sweet-Pea had an excellent offense

Man, do you even watch fights? I seriously wonder. Pernell had a jab. That's honestly about it. Mayweather can throw any punch well, when he chooses to. Pernell used his jab a hell of a lot more than Floyd, it won him fights, but it was far from "great offense". He got by with it due to his superb defensive skills.

Even if that is the case, which im not saying it is, it does not really hold much water because Floyd wont fight the 147 pounders and he did not fight Tszyu either.

The only reason he didn't fight Tszyu is because Hatton retired his ass. Floyd was going to be Tszyu's next fight after Ricky.

mathed
09-24-2009, 09:43 PM

Whitaker's was better, he had much more movement and elusiveness while Floyd uses elbows and pushes people and holds at times. Nothing against Floyd, 2nd to Pernell of the last 25 yrs, I agree but he borderline cheats when in close with the elbows.

Obama
09-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Whitaker's was better, he had much more movement and elusiveness while Floyd uses elbows and pushes people and holds at times. Nothing against Floyd, 2nd to Pernell of the last 25 yrs, I agree but he borderline cheats when in close with the elbows.

Lowering your head below the waist is also "cheating". Pernell is more guilty of that than Floyd.

mathed
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Lowering your head below the waist is also "cheating". Pernell is more guilty of that than Floyd.

You may be right but this looks pretty close to what you are saying here:

http://i38.tinypic.com/23vl4iv.jpg

Pernell was a crafty weird moving guy, Floyd is more reactive but I have seen him basically elbow people while moving from side to side avoiding punches on the inside.

Slimey Limey
09-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Perny was probably used to doing that outside the ring as well. just like he spend more time on his knees past his prime, just like he did outside the ring.

Doctor_Tenma
09-24-2009, 10:27 PM
I believe their defense is even but will give the edge to Pernell Whitaker, due to the opposition Whitaker didn't get hit against.

illmatickid
09-25-2009, 03:39 AM
wow...i cant believe mayweather is winning this poll

if anythin i thot it be all whitaker and some ties

thats interesting

RightCross94
09-25-2009, 05:28 AM
Slimey Limey is banned!!! yay! :friday::popcorn::grouphug:

BigMacFoster
09-25-2009, 09:28 AM

He commited the great crime of disagreeing with the majority.What kind of a person has his own opinion right?

Ziggy Stardust
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM

BOLO for yet another alt :ugh:

Poet

mickey malone
09-27-2009, 05:19 AM
He commited the great crime of disagreeing with the majority.What kind of a person has his own opinion right?
Nah.... Slime was banned for being a rude cunt.. Plain & simple..

With regard to the poll.. Of course it's Mayweather.. He only gets hit about once every other round..

JC Warrior
09-28-2009, 12:32 AM
I think Floyd's much faster punches off his rocking / rolling type defensive moves give him an edge is observable defense, where he counters with such great effect that it seems like *wow Floyd's defense is so great it sets up his offense* kind of factor that Whitaker never had. In Whitaker's favor he faced one of the best ever (Chavez) at the height of JC's powers and made him look like a tool. Whitaker's defensive subtlety was brilliant though and were he a step or too quicker I'd have given him the edge. As it was I thought them close enough to be even.

Obama
09-28-2009, 01:13 AM
I think Floyd's much faster punches off his rocking / rolling type defensive moves give him an edge is observable defense, where he counters with such great effect that it seems like *wow Floyd's defense is so great it sets up his offense* kind of factor that Whitaker never had. In Whitaker's favor he faced one of the best ever (Chavez) at the height of JC's powers and made him look like a tool. Whitaker's defensive subtlety was brilliant though and were he a step or too quicker I'd have given him the edge. As it was I thought them close enough to be even.

A slight exaggeration.

Mr. President
09-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Mayweathers all day.

bojangles1987
09-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I guess it would depend on what you look for in great defense. Mayweather has a technical, fundamental great defense, Sweet Pea was just unbelievably elusive. I would go with Whitaker slightly just because of the caliber of opponent he made look absolutely foolish.

Jiddu Dali
09-28-2009, 02:13 PM

I dont think its 50/50 at all. Mayweather by far is the better defender onthe inside, outside, on the ropes, going forward, backing up, and he is a better counter puncher while defending. Pernell IMO was just elusive and ducked and turned but then hey always had to reset.

Jiddu Dali
09-28-2009, 02:14 PM

How is Whitakers defense better though? :dunno:

Jiddu Dali
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM

:banghead:

Mitchell 147lbs

Judah 147lbs

Baldomir 147lbs

De La Hoya 154lbs

Hatton 147lbs

:bottle:

Jiddu Dali
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I guess it would depend on what you look for in great defense. Mayweather has a technical, fundamental great defense, Sweet Pea was just unbelievably elusive. I would go with Whitaker slightly just because of the caliber of opponent he made look absolutely foolish.

he made them look foolish yes by moving like a snake...but he didnt land punches in return while doing all that jumping around. Mayweathers defense allows him to be effectively offensive @ the same time. I mean Whitaker and Naseem Hamed had a similar defensive styles....just clowning, flashy stuff.

The Noose
09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
he made them look foolish yes by moving like a snake...but he didnt land punches in return while doing all that jumping around. Mayweathers defense allows him to be effectively offensive @ the same time. I mean Whitaker and Naseem Hamed had a similar defensive styles....just clowning, flashy stuff.

Hamed and Whitaker had very different defensive styles.
Hamed was open all the time, and relied 100% of his reflexes. He leaned back, thats it.
Whitaker could slip, block, duck, roll with punches, he could almost run backwards at times like he did against a prime Oscar.

The only similarity is that they were both showman, and clowned around.

I think thats the main difference between Floyds effective defence, and Whitakers flashy defence....Floyd is 100% focused on not getting hit. Whereas Whitaker would gamble and clown around, and sometimes that would lead him to getting caught, even dropped.

Whitaker took more risks, and therefore got hit more. Floyd just wants the win, and locks up on the inside, and stays out of range on the outside.

I believe if Whitaker didnt want to be hit at all, he would be just as effective as Floyd.

Steak
09-28-2009, 09:15 PM
people always talk about how Whitaker's defense was flashier, but thats not entirely true. thats what people remember him for, but he did very subtle defensive manuevers in there, especially on the inside.

Whitaker also threw about twice as many punches as Mayweather did, which matters a little.

its hard to say who had the 'better' defense, because it depended on the situation.

Ziggy Stardust
09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Whitaker also threw about twice as many punches as Mayweather did, which matters a little.

It counts more than a little. Don't know how someone clan claim to generate any offense when they don't let their hands go. That's also how fighters get labled as "boring": A non-existant work rate.

Poet

them_apples
09-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Mayweather has better defense because he's defense first.

Whitaker actually boxed and used great defense at the same time.

Hopkins also has a great defense.

Overall though, Mayweather has the best defense only because he puts that above everything else. One day this will be his down fall if he fights someone who doesn't sit in the middle of the ring and let him pot shot. Oscar almost made this a reality.