View Full Version : Usin the Speed Bag

Roy Jones Jr.
09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I was on it for an hour last night and finished the night 30 mins on the stationary bike

Speed bag is quite the work out, whats it work on anyway??

BTW im 250 lbs

Bendigo
09-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I was on it for an hour last night and finished the night 30 mins on the stationary bike

Speed bag is quite the work out, whats it work on anyway??

Not much besides endurance. Speed bag is kind of a misnomer; it could reference the action of the bag rather than actually helping a user increase his speed. It also makes *****es wet if they see you using it.

Roy Jones Jr.
09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Not much besides endurance. Speed bag is kind of a misnomer; it could reference the action of the bag rather than actually helping a user increase his speed. It also makes *****es wet if they see you using it.

I've talked to boxing trainers and they say it works on your punching speed since you make so make repetative punching patterns

Speed bag also tones muscles, I was on it and i could feel my upper body gettin a burn

rskumm21
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I've talked to boxing trainers and they say it works on your punching speed since you make so make repetative punching patterns

Speed bag also tones muscles, I was on it and i could feel my upper body gettin a burn

That's cool. Anyway, so what's up with Hopkins? When are you guys gonna throw down.

Roy Jones Jr.
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
The speed bag has many benefits (follow this link) http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/introduction#A
Physically, it mainly effects your upper body coordination and hand speed, but can have a positive effect on any other "rhythmic" based activity or ones that need good timing. (most sports, dancing, musical instruments for example all need a sense of timing and personal rhythm)
I think the speed bag helps a great deal in those areas.

I don't move my arms that much when hitting the speed bag because large arm movements aren't really needed to go fast. When I hit the bag I am focusing on "economy of movement" and reducing all wasted motions, along with relaxing. hitting "hard" is not the same as hitting "fast" and I want to eliminate any unneeded muscle tension, which will slow you down.

In the boxing ring, you can punch fast, or you can punch hard. There is a difference. The speed bag helps you to learn to punch fast, (quick jabs and combinations). These may not knock the opponent out, but most contests are won on points, or the number of landed punches, not just the ONE really hard knock out punch.

Punching fast is a key to becoming a skilled boxer and the speed bag will help you do that, as well as punch and move your arms rhythmically with smooth timing. That will also help in any other sport you play, particular "ball" sports for hitting and catching.