View Full Version : How many miles can you jog feeling comfortable?

Uturn
09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Just interested to know how many miles you guys can jog feeling quite comfortable? I've just started jogging the last two weeks and at first was struggling with 2 miles, however i can now do 3 miles pretty comfortably already!

Joachim
09-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I can do 5, my cardio system feels fine but the muscles in my feet like my arches and stuff hurt for a little bit afterwards

c0lder
09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Usually if I run I can go like 8 miles and then my thighs start to feel quite heavy. The distance and comfortability also depends largely if I've eaten before running or if it's like 30 celcius :)

RightHooker
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Depends how fast I'm running...

I can do ~5miles no problem at a good pace. I don't ever run farther than that.

rskumm21
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
If you're an amateur going to the gym 6 days a week, and you jog everyday, you probably want to jog no more than 4 miles a day. You don't want to leave it all on the road.

sukhenkoy
09-21-2009, 04:14 PM
In terms of cardiovascular endurance, I can probably jog around 4 and I wouldn't feel tired.

After the 4 miles though, my legs would start to cramp and they'd be real sore the next couple of days. Because of this, I look at jumping rope, biking, and swimming for cardiovascular exercises.

S.W.F.C
09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
I can do about 5 miles without really getting tired, not tried to go further just yet.

Spartacus Sully
09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
10's comfortable 15's alittle soreness 20 im gonna hurt some one if i have to take another step.

mrboxer
09-21-2009, 05:30 PM
i usually jog the equivalent of a 12 round boxing match:boxing:

JudeTheObscure
09-21-2009, 06:05 PM
i jog 12 miles a day, except on Saturdays, but i had to build up to it, and i'm an extreme runner. slow and steady win the race, as they say- if it's rainy or i can't measure how far i'm running, i at least run 60 minutes.

JoeKickAss
09-22-2009, 02:14 AM
8. After 11 I'm like "**** it".

tkos
09-22-2009, 03:15 AM
i can run at least 10, having said that, i dont think anybody feels comfortable when they run, or at least they shouldnt. the fact that you struggle makes you stronger and in this case, gain more stamina.

Alexandros
09-22-2009, 03:44 AM
2 or 3 something like dat lol i dont run.

r1e2y4
09-22-2009, 05:01 AM
I run 4 a day. I hate it though because I have to stretch. I get charley horses a lot at night when I'm trying to sleep. I wake up screaming "Ah ****!!!!" and my room mates are knocking on my door thinking I'm being killed.

lanzarote
09-22-2009, 05:22 AM
I run 3 times a week with x2 10k & always a long run on Sundays.

This Sunday i ran longest run yet for me this Sunday 15 miles it took me 2hours 33 mins.Most of that was serious hill work,felt bit sick after for a short while & well spent.Legs still feel a bit tender today.Was worth it am entering a marathon November and need to build miles up.

The 20 miler is next goal in a few weeks.

Just love running!!!

VTBuc
09-24-2009, 01:41 AM
When I started school in 2006 I could do 8 miles comfortably but 3 years of good food and beer guzzling quickly destroyed that. I'm starting to get back into it and I'm back up to 3 mile runs but I pass out on my bed as soon as I get home. :P

keepthemhandsup
09-24-2009, 05:55 AM
i can do ten-15 no problem

20 im starting to kill myself

RightCross94
09-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I dont really do heaps long runs (more than 4-5 miles) as they aren't really that beneficical in the ams. But I have jogged about 10 miles a few times, and i was pretty tired at the end but it was hot also and i wore a jumper. But really there isn't much point to it, your pace slows to a crawl and it isn't specific at all to boxing.

These days I run 5-6 times per week, with about 3-4 of those running sessions being expolsive sprinting stuff like stair sprinting, 50m sprints, 200's 400's 800's etc. And with usually two 5 mile runs, at a strong balanced pace. And I do the odd 2-3 mile run where I run as hard as I can for that distance.

EDIT: after looking through some of your posts, i mean if you are training to box (especially am) wtf is the point of a 11 or 15 mile run?? Even for a 12 round pro that would just be stupid, since their fights go for 48 minutes in total (including breaks) and A run of more than 8 or so miles generally takes over an hour. Im of the opinion now you have to alter your running to what you are fighting, I fight 3x2 min rounds so for a sprint workout i might do 4x2 min rounds of stair sprints, plus 10x50m sprints with a 10 sec break in between each one, then some 400's or 800's. (the extra stuff is just to know you can give everything in the 3 rds, like you know you could fight 4 or 5 hard rounds instead of just 3)

Sprints and short intense runs really are the way to go in am boxing. Long runs are pretty much good for only generally getting into shape, and losing weight for fights.

Spartacus Sully
09-24-2009, 08:56 AM
How long you can run is a major factor in how fast you recover between rounds where as the sprinting keeps you going during the round.....kinda pointless to be able to go all out for a round but hardly recover for the next one

mannyman
09-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I can do 5 miles comfortably at a good pace

keepthemhandsup
09-24-2009, 07:19 PM
endurance.....if you run more miles i gannntuee you'll last longer than an opponet who only run 5 miles in sprints. plus it helps with weight loss

and pro's need to run 10 miles anyway, they're fighting for 36 mintues straight minus the breaks, if they gotta fight for 12 rounds the need the engry or they'll be gassed

keepthemhandsup
09-24-2009, 07:21 PM
How long you can run is a major factor in how fast you recover between rounds where as the sprinting keeps you going during the round.....kinda pointless to be able to go all out for a round but hardly recover for the next one

good post i competly aggre with you :boxing:

fraidycat
09-26-2009, 01:12 AM
good post i competly aggre with you :boxing:

THE measure of cardiovascular fitness is how quickly your heart rate drops once you stop exercising. Long runs help with this. I can do 4 miles in 45 minutes or so before my feet start to hurt (high arches) -- I can do 6 miles in an hour but my feet are sore as hell the next day.

lanzarote
09-26-2009, 05:25 AM
Sounds like your running style sucks.

I recommend anyone interested in running better,more efficient,with less stress on your knees etc to download and watch a training vid called "CHI RUNNING"

It will transform your running.Well did for me. I have watched it a few times and the tips are great.

Also sore feet ? Maybe your trainers are to small?

shogunn
09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
about 4 a day, 3-5 times a week, on a treadmill at the gym. The last 2 minutes Im going my fastest, usually speed 7.5 - 11

By the end of the week my thigh's are kinda sore and I get shin splints

mathed
09-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I usually do 2 and 3 miles on monday/wed/fri and tues/thurs, respectively but I am gonna run an 8K in a month and have been training. I'm gonna do 2 mile and 4 miles on the days above and then 5 to 6 on sat.

I can go about 7 or 8 before my feet start to blister. I have gone 13 before at a steady pace my legs ached the next day.

fraidycat
09-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Sounds like your running style sucks.

I recommend anyone interested in running better,more efficient,with less stress on your knees etc to download and watch a training vid called "CHI RUNNING"

It will transform your running.Well did for me. I have watched it a few times and the tips are great.

Also sore feet ? Maybe your trainers are to small?

I appreciate the info but I'm good. I had a running coach about ten years ago, when I was doing sprint-distance triathlons. I was big for a triathlete (came to it from bodybuilding), and had to learn to run efficiently. I use diaphragmatic breathing and a rolling midfoot strike, with very little wasted motion.

The main problem is that I'm 38, with high arches, and as a boat builder, I work on my feet all day at a job that many guys can't hack for even a week. I've had a physical day job of one sort or the other for the past ten years. On top of that, I lift weights, run, and train for boxing.

Over the past 20 years I've done soccer, bodybuilding, triathlons, 10K's, fencing, boxing, mountaineering, rock climbing, bowhunting, skydiving, and last spring I ran 69 flights of stairs (1,300 steps) in 18 minutes for a charity run. My feet are beaten to hell, as anyone's should be at my age if they're not some cubicle-dwelling lardass with no scars. A four-mile run is about my limit unless I can take a day off.

Sgt. Pain
09-27-2009, 03:56 AM
i run a liil bit more then 3 miles every second day, i think its enough, because there is also boxing workout in the gym3 times a week and i go 2 times in the week to the lifting room

Del Coqui
09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
I dont really do heaps long runs (more than 4-5 miles) as they aren't really that beneficical in the ams. But I have jogged about 10 miles a few times, and i was pretty tired at the end but it was hot also and i wore a jumper. But really there isn't much point to it, your pace slows to a crawl and it isn't specific at all to boxing.

These days I run 5-6 times per week, with about 3-4 of those running sessions being expolsive sprinting stuff like stair sprinting, 50m sprints, 200's 400's 800's etc. And with usually two 5 mile runs, at a strong balanced pace. And I do the odd 2-3 mile run where I run as hard as I can for that distance.

EDIT: after looking through some of your posts, i mean if you are training to box (especially am) wtf is the point of a 11 or 15 mile run?? Even for a 12 round pro that would just be stupid, since their fights go for 48 minutes in total (including breaks) and A run of more than 8 or so miles generally takes over an hour. Im of the opinion now you have to alter your running to what you are fighting, I fight 3x2 min rounds so for a sprint workout i might do 4x2 min rounds of stair sprints, plus 10x50m sprints with a 10 sec break in between each one, then some 400's or 800's. (the extra stuff is just to know you can give everything in the 3 rds, like you know you could fight 4 or 5 hard rounds instead of just 3)

Sprints and short intense runs really are the way to go in am boxing. Long runs are pretty much good for only generally getting into shape, and losing weight for fights.

totally agree with this guy. ON long slow runs that's exactly what your teaching your muscles to be, slow, all those miles could also lead to ankle, knee and back problems. Amateurs are at most 4 rds, you have to be quick and explosive, if you're not recuperating in time you're either going too easy on sparring or having weight problems, going pro is a different story. It depends how hard you work on your sprints, one of Trinidad's work outs was running 20x200, w/200 fast and 200 jog, he could fight 12 rds with his mouth closed. Not saying a timed 3 mile run a week or so is not beneficial either, but some of you who fight ams need to rethink your work road.

JayCoe
09-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I usually run between 3-5 miles. The general rule is you should NEVER get back from a run and feel fine to do whatever. You run faster at 2 mile than you do at 5, equalling out the levels of tiredness and ensuring you're not just wasting your time on a pointless run. Running a 2 miles at a much faster pace builds a different stamina so distance isn't always important. But I get what you mean by 'comfortable', that kind of distance where you don't actually start thinking "jesus, am I going to be able to finish this one?". I'd say 5 miles is a good limit for me, i'm comfortable with that being my long distance run and 3 miles being my much faster run.

I have friends of mine who go on about how they've been running for an hour straight, and I think that's pretty good for someone who doesn't do a sport like boxing. I think **** i've had to work for my fitness, how have they got it so easy?! Then I find out that they practically walk, they go on a very gentle jog and talk. No real point in doing that in my opinion.

lanzarote
09-27-2009, 01:43 PM
You appreciate the info but wont look at it because you are 38 years of age and have done it all?

CHI RUNNING!!!

Have a look dude.

I am 41 years old and its never too old to learn a new trick.

If your way is so then why does the elite golfer Tiger Woods employa a coach? He knows it all so why bother?

Get it yet old school!?

Junito-Rulez
09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Between one hour and one hour and a half.

keepthemhandsup
09-27-2009, 02:42 PM
You appreciate the info but wont look at it because you are 38 years of age and have done it all?

CHI RUNNING!!!

Have a look dude.

If your way is so then why does the elite golfer Tiger Woods employa a coach? He knows it all so why bother?

Get it yet old school!?

the hell is chi running :lol1:

Leakbeak
09-27-2009, 03:37 PM
What do you mean by comfortable? After 1 mile I'm uncomfortable but can put up with that **** for 5 or 6 more

fraidycat
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM

CHI RUNNING!!!

Have a look dude.

Get it yet old school!?

The problem's not my running style; the problem is the amount of wear I've put on my feet in the last 38 years, and the amount of abuse they still take week after week. Miles are miles, chi or no chi.

Del Coqui
09-28-2009, 09:37 AM
The problem's not my running style; the problem is the amount of wear I've put on my feet in the last 38 years, and the amount of abuse they still take week after week. Miles are miles, chi or no chi.

fraidy have you considered other form of cardio? your feet and knee wont get any better with time.

fraidycat
09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
fraidy have you considered other form of cardio? your feet and knee wont get any better with time.

When they get really bad I switch to elliptical for a few weeks.