View Full Version : Why Boxing is so popular in UK and not in France?

LordessByron
09-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Was just wondering, about the historical reasons why boxing never were as much popular in France, like it is in UK?

Does anyone knows?

GJC
09-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Because the French are cheese eating surrender monkeys? :)

Bigchill79
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
They like **** loads of sport and good in many. But deep down the real reason is they r ***** :luvbed::luvbed:

imho

Ziggy Stardust
09-21-2009, 02:29 PM

Good enough reason for me :rofl:

Poet

LordessByron
09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Noone has a "good" historical enough answer for me? Or it's all anti-french related? Am just curious guys... and wanna know ! Please !

TheGreatA
09-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I think only someone from France could truly answer that. There have been some very popular French boxers such as Georges Carpentier and Marcel Cerdan but I imagine the sport just never caught on.

Britain's boxing roots on the other hand come all the way from the 1700's and there have been numerous great British boxers over the years.

elgaringo
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Noone has a "good" historical enough answer for me? Or it's all anti-french related? Am just curious guys... and wanna know ! Please !

have you evey watched french boxing? like on euro sport. dont know if they still play it on there cos its been years for me. fact is they always bored me to hell to watch with the exeption of Mormeck. they leave the passion in the bedroom me thinks! lol

Dynamite Kid
09-21-2009, 04:09 PM

What he said. :rofl:

Waits for MIB to create an ALT account and pretends to be a French member/poster so he can annoy people.

JudeTheObscure
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
saw Haye fight in France. was that in France? LordessByron is French, btw.

Smokin'J
09-21-2009, 04:38 PM
have you evey watched french boxing? like on euro sport. dont know if they still play it on there cos its been years for me. fact is they always bored me to hell to watch with the exeption of Mormeck. they leave the passion in the bedroom me thinks! lol

pretty much all the europeans fight like that, thats why i prefer the american side

D-MiZe
09-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Boxing is popular in Britain?

:wtf1: :rofl: :rofl:

1SILVA
09-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Was just wondering, about the historical reasons why boxing never were as much popular in France, like it is in UK?

Does anyone knows?

Name the number of ATG French fighters

Junito-Rulez
09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Name the number of ATG French fighters

Carpentier and Marcel Cerdan are definitely ATG.

Tiozzo bros, Mormeck, Boudouani and Cherifi are good fighters i can remember. Brahim Asloum 2000 gold medalist is one of the biggest failures in boxing history. This kid had mad talent but is one of the biggest ******* i've ever seen, Floyd Mayweather looks like Holyfield compared to him.

French have excellent amateur boxing but in pros they still fight like amateurs. Willy Blain who's a 2003 amateur World champ and 8 time national champ, has a poor pro career coz he doesn't try to finish fights and still try to outpoint like in the Am. At this point he only has one knockout in his resume, in more than 20 wins and 1 loss.
Watch his fight against the excellent Lamont Peterson and you'll see the difference between a great amateur and a real pro.

In the future i expect Silver Medalist Khedaffi Djelkir to do big things in his career. Wait and see...

TheGreatA
09-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Marcel Thil
Ray Famechon

Anaclet Wamba was a good cruiserweight although mostly forgotten today.

LordessByron
09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes it's what i thought kind of... but isn't it interesting to look more deeply, and find out the sociologic reasons why something is so huge here, and not at all overthere, i don't know you guys, but i think it's fascinating.
I made my research and they have the French Boxe overthere, and it's more and less connected the fencing, which is more historically related.

Even so... there is maybe no realy audience either. Wonder why?

LordessByron
09-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Carpentier and Marcel Cerdan are definitely ATG.

ATG?
Sorry man, don't understand that language !

Junito-Rulez
09-21-2009, 05:25 PM
ATG?
Sorry man, don't understand that language !

ATG = All Time Great.

Davros?
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Did anyone see that program a while back about Paris some of the districts out there looked well rough there were running gun battles, riots almost every night with murderes etc. The camera crew had there car smashed in and John Travolta had to abonded a film he was going to do there because the gangs tourched the stunt cars and forced them out lol.

RightCross94
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Some people are just soft.

I'm sure the tough arab and african kids in the french ghettos would be good boxers if they had access to it. But all they do over there is play soccer.

LordessByron
09-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes it's very true and it's easier for them to get together too i guess, ... and where to find a boxing gym ... overthere? I heard that some guys open a boxing gym in the ghetto somewhere around Paris, to help kids learn discipline and sports spirit... maybe with time ...

bojangles1987
09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
This is where most Americans like myself make some French are scared to fight joke, right?

I would assume it's mostly because boxing has gone downhill pretty much everywhere except the Phillipines, where it will stay popular until Pacquiao retires. Also, football is where most people put their attention around the world( and I mean soccer, not American football).

pacmanis1
09-22-2009, 01:41 AM
because throwing in a towel is more of a pass time than a sport to them

Spartacus Sully
09-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Tunney was french too right?

i dont think its declined as much as youd think. i just think their more interested in that free style running now a days

historically though french boxing (boxe savate) was not desinged to go up against people with an opposing stance like a righty vs a lefty. perhaps due to judo, karate and such's more versatile nature and ease of switching stances and not having to match the opponets stance more people chose to learn those arts and slowly they took over for the sport of boxing

mickey malone
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
As an observation, if you mix a Frenchman with someone else, it normally produces a half decent fighter.. IE: French/Canadian, French/Morocan, French/ Algerian.. The likes of Jean Pascal, Fabrice Tiozzo, Marcel Cerdan, Gratien Tonna & Louis Acares fall into these categories.. With regard to the thoroughbred Frogs, I have to agree with GJC on this one as I can't recall too many good'uns.. Georges Carpentier, Laurent Boudiani, Renee Jacquot & Lucien Rodriguez to name a few.. Featherweight, Fabrice Benachou was quite entertaining & often doubled up as a trapeze artist as part of a travelling circus.. And who was that mutant Gypsy that fought Lennox Lewis & Derek Williams?.. Was it Claude Jeanet or someone.. Had to be seen to be believed!.. Tough SOB though..
Johnny Famechan, a garlic cruncher who fought for Australia was a fine fighter though, & often ends up on my lists of underrated fighters.. Perhaps if the French were interested in fighting, they'd have produced more like him..

BigMacFoster
09-23-2009, 12:03 PM
because throwing in a towel is more of a pass time than a sport to them

I suppose you think your disgusting country had a great factor in the outcome of World War 2 right?

While the real fighting was going on in Europe,America was out in south east asia commiting war crimes and commiting acts of terrorism.

America's war with Japan was like a prime heavyweight fighting a past it's prime welterweight,And struggling with that past it's prime welterweight for eleven rounds until commiting fouls which were permitted and ignored by the referee until stopping that faded welterweight in the very last round.

by the way,It was because of the Soviet Unions invasion that Japan surrendered,So not only did America not win on the western front,They never officially did the job on the eastern front either.

America is very much the Corrie Sanders of the world.

GJC
09-23-2009, 12:09 PM
This is where most Americans like myself make some French are scared to fight joke, right?

Nooo you should leave it to us English we have a far longer and more glorious history at it than you Johnny come latelys :)

I think they could encourage more Frenchman into boxing by introducing easy to remove and drop gloves and maybe leaving one side of the ring without ropes. More than likely after round 2 they would join up with the other fighter and start hitting the referee. :)
That said they have produced some pretty fierce rugby players down the years and 2 of my favourite footballers (proper football :) )

GJC
09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I suppose you think your disgusting country had a great factor in the outcome of World War 2 right?

While the real fighting was going on in Europe,America was out in south east asia commiting war crimes and commiting acts of terrorism.

War Crimes and acts of terrorism? Namely?
I think you could possibly make a case for not dropping the second atom bomb and every country does things in war that they are not proud of but the Japanese and Nazi conduct in the second world war was far worse than anything the allies did.
America fought in Europe and the Pacific and many brave men died in both theatres and we should be grateful for their sacrifice. You should be ashamed of not acknowledging the American dead in Europe. America could have concentrated all their efforts in the Pacific as there was zero danger of Germany attacking them but they didn't.

by the way,It was because of the Soviet Unions invasion that Japan surrendered,So not only did America not win on the western front,They never officially did the job on the eastern front either.

I would agree that Russia were the biggest factor in deciding the European war but they declared war 2 days after the Hiroshima bomb purely to try and get some political influence in the Pacific and had zero effect on the Japanese surrender.

LordessByron
09-25-2009, 04:57 AM
I see that the topic switched into more History than History of Boxing... well thanks though for all these information ! I appreciate

hayazaki
09-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Why we don't like boxing... To be honest i'm not sure to know but i'll try to explain you.

First of all, you have to know that most of french people only like team sports like football (soccer for americans) and rugby. Individual sports aren't very popular in here except tennis, especially during Roland Garros...

On a second hand in France we're very... how to say... patriotic, i mean, if we don't have top champion(s) in a sport there is absolutely no way the sport can be popular, we don't have top ranked pound for pound so...
For example before Alain Bernard, Laure Manaudou, we didn't give a damn about swimming, now it's very popular and this sport is able to get media attention, which is my third point.

On a third hand Media. Boxing isn't popular, because there is no coverage of the boxing events (15 secs on a sport channel and the end of the news for Mayweather Marquez for example). We can watch the fights on Pay per view channel like Canal+, but you have to realize that this kind of fight are broadcasted at 3.30-4 am. Most of the people don't wanna wake up that early for boxing, I personnaly don't miss a big fight!!!! But trust me if the French football team is playing at 4am the people will wake up for sure.

And last but not least A lot of people don't like boxing because they consider boxing as a violent, dirty, brutal, bad, for ex prisoners (not a joke), and the list goes on and on, sport. They don't understand it, they don't see the beauty of the sport, the dedication fighters have, they'd rather see *******s playing with a ball on the grass, crying like babies everytime someone touch them, acting, cheating etc...

To sum up Boxing can't be popular because it's not a team sport, we don't have huge champion, and there is absolutely no converage from the media. And it won't change and the only reason is because as the sport is not popular no one wanna start training in boxing so...

Hope you'll understand my thought and my english.

Hayazaki, a french boxing fan.

Sgt. Pain
09-25-2009, 08:15 AM
they have not so many great boxers as uk and the whole thing is about media, i don't know how the marketing in boxing is in france

BigMacFoster
09-25-2009, 08:39 AM
War Crimes and acts of terrorism? Namely?

There were many atrocities commited by U.S personnel during World War 2
One case example during the Allied invasion of Sicily,Where unarmed civilians were killed on the orders of General George Patton.

I think you could possibly make a case for not dropping the second atom bomb and every country does things in war that they are not proud of but the Japanese and Nazi conduct in the second world war was far worse than anything the allies did.

You could make an argument for not dropping either bomb,They didn't have the sack to go on with a planned invasion so they took,What was a supposed to a response to a threat and used that threat against unarmed civilians.

The act that they commited is terrorism,by every definition of the term.The effects of the nuclear attacks are still felt to this day,With all the talk of terrorism in this modern day,The united states is responsible for the single greatest act of terrorism in modern history.

We know of the crimes that the japanese and Nazi's commited because we told of them,We were the victors and as history shows,The victor always tells the story,There are no dout countless war crimes that have still not been told,That were commited by U.S military personnel,They have the history of commiting these great war crimes in every war they participate in.

America fought in Europe and the Pacific and many brave men died in both theatres and we should be grateful for their sacrifice. You should be ashamed of not acknowledging the American dead in Europe. America could have concentrated all their efforts in the Pacific as there was zero danger of Germany attacking them but they didn't.

The United States only declared war on Germany once Germany declared war on them,Two years it took and it wasn't even under the act of which to stop this great emerging power that was Nazi Germany,They sat back knowing of what was occuring and did nothing until they got bitten on the backside.

You should discuss discrediting of those who had fallen fighting for our freedom with your good friend Poet.

Ask him what he thinks of the red army's efforts.And they call me a troll

I would agree that Russia were the biggest factor in deciding the European war but they declared war 2 days after the Hiroshima bomb purely to try and get some political influence in the Pacific and had zero effect on the Japanese surrender.

The Soviet invasion of Manchuria took the Japanese by great suprise,They had violated a treaty that had been signed between the two nations,Even when Germany invaded the Soviet Union,Japan held to the pact,They never in a million years expected the Soviet Union to break the pact believe it or not.

Japan had survived the Tokyo firebombings,They survived the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.The Soviet Union's declaration of war was the final act.

Tunney was french too right?

Not all Irish people are alcoholics and thick as ****..........well their not all thick as ****

hayazaki
09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
they have not so many great boxers as uk and the whole thing is about media, i don't know how the marketing in boxing is in france
Ricky Hatton, Amir Khan for example.

As far as marketing concern, there is no marketing for boxing in France, no ads for big events, absolutely nothing!!!!! I don't know perhaps they're afraid that promoting boxing will bring more brutality and violence in our life, i know it's deeply stupid but i try to find some reasons...

GJC
09-26-2009, 03:54 PM
There were many atrocities commited by U.S personnel during World War 2
One case example during the Allied invasion of Sicily,Where unarmed civilians were killed on the orders of General George Patton.

In war atrocities happen America commited them as did Britain and Russia but we fell way behind the Nazis and Japan in my view.

You could make an argument for not dropping either bomb,They didn't have the sack to go on with a planned invasion so they took,What was a supposed to a response to a threat and used that threat against unarmed civilians.

The estimate of casualties for the U.S. was a minimum of 50,000 and up to 250,000 for a mainland invasion of Japan. You are the President, you have a weapon that can end the war immediately or you can write letters to 50,000 mothers explaining how their sons died because you decided not to get your hands dirty. What would you do?

We know of the crimes that the japanese and Nazi's commited because we told of them,We were the victors and as history shows,The victor always tells the story,There are no dout countless war crimes that have still not been told,That were commited by U.S military personnel,They have the history of commiting these great war crimes in every war they participate in.

But they also have a free press which takes them to task for doing so as in Vietnam. This was absent in Germany and Japan.

The United States only declared war on Germany once Germany declared war on them,Two years it took and it wasn't even under the act of which to stop this great emerging power that was Nazi Germany,They sat back knowing of what was occuring and did nothing until they got bitten on the backside.

True but having done so they fought in the European theatre whereas they could easily have concentrated solely on the Pacific theatre as there was ZERO danger from the Germans to America.

Ask him what he thinks of the red army's efforts.And they call me a troll

I know Poet is very anti communist but I would hope that he would acknowledge their losses in both World Wars and that they were the main factor in the defeat of Germany.

The Soviet invasion of Manchuria took the Japanese by great suprise,They had violated a treaty that had been signed between the two nations,Even when Germany invaded the Soviet Union,Japan held to the pact,They never in a million years expected the Soviet Union to break the pact believe it or not.

Yes it was a suprise as there was still the Japan-Soviet Neutrality Pact which was never revoked and the Japanese were also trying to broker a peace deal through the Russians.
The timetable was:
August 6th Hiroshima bomb dropped
August 8th The Japanese cabinet and Emperor decide to end the war and decide to announce it to their military on the 9th.
The Russians invade Manchuria
August 9th. The Nagasaki bomb was dropped whilst the Japanese cabinet and Emperor were discussing what conditions to accept re the surrender.

I think the Soviet invasion of Machuria was opportunistic rather than important and I believe that most historians regard it as a footnote rather than pivitol.