View Full Version : How to box a taller opponent

manila_assasin
03-11-2005, 03:02 PM
I have posted this question on the other sites Just want to get as much advice as I can.

I sparred with a 6'0 guy and I am only 5'6 (154)lbs. I can't hit him. Any technique that you can advise me?

Rick Reeno
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
You need to get inside and go to the body and then to the head. You make it harder on yourself by trying to slug a tall fighter in the face from a distance, you need to close the gap and get close to him. If you break down the body, the head will be there.

{BrownBomber}
03-11-2005, 04:50 PM
I have posted this question on the other sites Just want to get as much advice as I can.

I sparred with a 6'0 guy and I am only 5'6 (154)lbs. I can't hit him. Any technique that you can advise me?
You ever heard of a guy called Mike Tyson. I recomend u watch some of his fights,not the Lewis one though.

XionComrade
03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Kinda weird actually, normally when I see a smaller huskier fighter go up a gains a huge 7 foot tall fighter, the 7 foot one is KOed easily, is this because taller people are easier to take down?

boxer2k5
03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
jab when he steps
jab before him

keep jabbign and move inside when you jab

dont worry about gettign hit because you might have to take some to get in

keep jabbing it will slow him down and not let him set up

move ou head and dip his jabs and go to his body

keep moving but get inside anyway possble

Dyl-G
03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
i have a similarr question i juss sparred the other day and the guy is taller than me and has a longer reach and he let me get close then counter punched everything i threw, i had to use jabs a lot to get close to him and try to side step, do any of yall have any more advice on how to beat a taller counter puncher?

m00ks
03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
i have a similarr question i juss sparred the other day and the guy is taller than me and has a longer reach and he let me get close then counter punched everything i threw, i had to use jabs a lot to get close to him and try to side step, do any of yall have any more advice on how to beat a taller counter puncher?

counter punchers usually eat up fakes. You don't always have to initiate. Fight fire with fire, counterpunch his ass.

buff_mike10
03-11-2005, 10:04 PM
If your shorter you have an advantage, you get to use your legs to punch. The taller guy has to punch down and cannot. Watch Mike Tyson in the late 80's, then you'll have no problem

joeboxer
03-11-2005, 10:11 PM
counter punchers usually eat up fakes. You don't always have to initiate. Fight fire with fire, counterpunch his ass.

if you don't have Mike Tyson power you need to get good at d-fence.

Or if you just want to hit him hard look to trade blows. When you know he is about to throw the jab, you throw your right hook, you can win in that trade every time.

manila_assasin
03-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions amigos!

jack_the_rippuh
03-11-2005, 11:11 PM
The key is to bring him down to your level. Jab to the pit of the stomach. Don't let him stay in that lay back position where can he counter you all day with straight punches, make him come to you. Besides jabbing to the pit of the stomach throw lead hooks to the head, and when you hit him get out of there make him come to you, make him desperate to hit back, when he does come to you, destory the body on the inside and catch him with short uppercuts. WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T LET HIM STAY IN THAT COUNTER-PUNCHING COMFORT ZONE WHERE HE CAN REACH YOU EVERYTIME YOU COME IN AND YOU CAN'T REACH HIM!

Dyl-G
03-12-2005, 01:41 AM
thanks guys, yeah he keeps his hands down low thats the onlyproblem he guards his body and makes me go for his head so i have to reach more

patto1984
03-12-2005, 02:19 AM

I have the same problem with a sparring partner, so i just feint and make him throw first then counter with rights to the body when he throws his jab then come up with the left uppercut or hook. Also when you throw all your jabs at the taller boxers chest you can start feinting at the chest at go for the head shots. I like to go feint jab to the chest- jab to the head bring in the powerfull right uppercut(powerfull becuz you bringing it up from a crouched position) then left hook. the taller guys hate it.

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 06:11 AM
I'm 6'3 and I would knock you out with a mean upper cut. But since you 5"6 I doubt you a heavyweight. But if we was to spar I doubt your power would faze me.

Rockin'
03-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Thats a pretty bold statement Cre_Ace, considering the fact that you are wearing play gloves in your picture. Just because you are a heavyweight do not assume that you will crush the world and everybody in it. Heavyweights fall harder than anybody else, and you are no exception. The first thing they will teach you in boxing is to never underestimate your opponent. Have you got to that part in the training or did they just laugh at you when you walked in with toy gloves.......Rockin'

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 12:13 PM
They ain't toy gloves you idiot, you can't tell what they're from that picture. But who cares what gloves I have on my hands, what's the difference? I would knock you out in a heart beat. I would have you looking like that old lady in that pic after

Dyl-G
03-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Thats a pretty bold statement Cre_Ace, considering the fact that you are wearing play gloves in your picture. Just because you are a heavyweight do not assume that you will crush the world and everybody in it. Heavyweights fall harder than anybody else, and you are no exception. The first thing they will teach you in boxing is to never underestimate your opponent. Have you got to that part in the training or did they just laugh at you when you walked in with toy gloves.......Rockin'

HAHAHAHHAAH oh damn, yeah cre you gotta calm down bro, unless your like roy jones or muhammad ali you cant get away with being ****y like that dude, so calm down

Rockin'
03-12-2005, 02:15 PM
They ain't toy gloves you idiot, you can't tell what they're from that picture. But who cares what gloves I have on my hands, what's the difference? I would knock you out in a heart beat. I would have you looking like that old lady in that pic after

Please do not knock me out. LoL And those are toy gloves, you can plainly see in the picture that they have no laces. Found them at k-mart next to the how to be a big bad boxer book, didnt ya. You just let me know what state you are in and then I could see what I could do about you showing me this knock out in a heart beat, fatboy..........Rockin' :*******:

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Brooklyn, You could find me at GYMU. (http://getyourmoneyup.com/) For more details on how to get there visit the link. I'll be waiting for you chumpzilla.

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 02:26 PM

HAHAHAHAH you crack me up man. Rockin1 would knock you out with one hand tied behind his back. I don't think you would wanna box him, he might knock you into retirement :boxing: and i'm for real

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm 6'3 and I would knock you out with a mean upper cut. But since you 5"6 I doubt you a heavyweight. But if we was to spar I doubt your power would faze me.
That's why theres something called "weight classes" but that dont mean a lil guy wont knock you out.

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Lol sure buddy. I'm a monster my friend, 6'3 240 pounds of pure power and speed. Come test and I will send you home stretch'd out!

Rockin'
03-12-2005, 02:32 PM
I was impressed with the site, yet I was unable to find you in there anywhere. You've had how many fights? (not counting the ones with your little sister) And have been fighting for how many years?(Not counting the fight to read above the 5th grade level.) So help me find you in this site would ya......Rockin'

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 02:40 PM
cre_ace, where ya from?

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 02:48 PM
We have about 20 fighters training there, and not everybody is up on the site. One of the reasons for that is that the main guys have been there since GYMU started like 3 to 4 years ago. I asked kelly if they going to make a profile for me, he told me around next year, he wants to make sure I stay there long, cause alot of fighters change gyms. So no big deal. But my record is 14 - 2. the 2 loses came in my first 2 fights. I quit Boxing because I wasn't taking it seriously, it felt like a job doing all that training, plus I work and was going to school, so I had to drop one, but I finish school so I'm back on the horn. But there u have it.

m00ks
03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Lol sure buddy. I'm a monster my friend, 6'3 240 pounds of pure power and speed. Come test and I will send you home stretch'd out!

LOLOLOL Talks cheap. Post back after you get knocked the **** out and tell me all abaout it :D

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Brooklyn Ny in Bushwick Greatest.

Rockin'
03-12-2005, 02:51 PM
We have about 20 fighters training there, and not everybody is up on the site. One of the reasons for that is that the main guys have been there since GYMU started like 3 to 4 years ago. I asked kelly if they going to make a profile for me, he told me around next year, he wants to make sure I stay there long, cause alot of fighters change gyms. So no big deal. But my record is 14 - 2. the 2 loses came in my first 2 fights. I quit Boxing because I wasn't taking it seriously, it felt like a job doing all that training, plus I work and was going to school, so I had to drop one, but I finish school so I'm back on the horn. But there u have it.

Whats your USA/ABF registration number.........Rockin'

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Brooklyn Ny in Bushwick Greatest.

whats GYMU
can u give me the site?
Is that Gleasons?

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 02:53 PM
how is talk cheap? That's what every boxer does before they fight. That's what makes the fight great, seing if the boxer backs up what he says. Like Vargas vs Hoya, and Trinidad and Hopkins. Once Hopkins wuped trinidad, I was livid cause he beat my boy and trashed talked it and back it up at the sametime. So trash talking ain't cheap, is great!

jack_the_rippuh
03-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Well to get back on subject if he protects the body, hit what he gives you...bang the chest, the side of the body, bang his arms...wear him down...he'll open up.

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 02:57 PM
is not gleason, but it will be has big has gleason. But it will take a couple of year and Future champions must come out the gym to get recognize. check it out (http://getyourmoneyup.com/ ) where you live at?

Rockin'
03-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Talk is cheap Cre_Ace, what is your registration # for the usa/abf. I want to see if your even a fighter or just full of ****.........Rockin'

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 02:58 PM
how is talk cheap? That's what every boxer does before they fight. That's what makes the fight great, seing if the boxer backs up what he says. Like Vargas vs Hoya, and Trinidad and Hopkins. Once Hopkins wuped trinidad, I was livid cause he beat my boy and trashed talked it and back it up at the sametime. So trash talking ain't cheap, is great!

Not when you end up getting knocked out....
and have u accomplished as much as Hopkins? No...
Go pro then talk ****, not over the net...theres a price to trash talk, usually when people trash talk then they lose they disappear...Vargas,Hamed,Mayorga....

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 03:03 PM
You twisting things around greatest, I was just making a example of trash talking being good for the sport, did I say I was hopkins? Oh I thought so. And wus up with you Rockin, I have a USA BOXING PassBook.

Rockin'
03-12-2005, 03:05 PM
whats your registration number?.....Rockin'

m00ks
03-12-2005, 03:06 PM

Bro my lil sister can talk trash but that don't mean ****. And unless your headlining any pay per views, yeah your talk is cheap.

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 03:10 PM
I'll get you some proof be easy.

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 03:11 PM
is not gleason, but it will be has big has gleason. But it will take a couple of year and Future champions must come out the gym to get recognize. check it out (http://getyourmoneyup.com/ ) where you live at?
im from california but gone be detroit soon

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 03:25 PM
what E-mail address you want me to send you the proof?

Rockin'
03-12-2005, 03:28 PM
send me a private message...........Rockin'

Do you even know who, as you put it, "that old lady" is that was in my avatar picture?

Cre_Ace
03-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Where you at?

Tha Greatest
03-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Where you at?

we here.....

buff_mike10
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
This guy is so dumb. He already has 2 losses he says, and he wears toy gloves, he probably isn't even really a fighter. This guy probably won some fight in a bar and now he thinks he's gonna be a pro. I'd love to see a decent middleweight fight this bum, just to show him what its all about.

Cre_Ace
03-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Okay champ, how bout you fight me? Oh I thought so.

Rockin'
03-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Okay champ, how bout you fight me? Oh I thought so.

Im not sure who you are calling champ but I am more than game to throw fists with you. I will state that you talk way too much **** for being a rather green amatuer fighter. And the funny thing about you is that you pick on the people who are kind in here and bother nobody. If you dont like us pokin' at you then quit starting the **** up with your tough guy bull****. You know that if you walked into a gym talking that **** that you do that you will get KNOCKED THE **** OUT. I did promise my mother just last week that I would quit slapping retards, but if you would like to throw, I will certainly make an exception.......Rockin'

Cre_Ace
03-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Any time you ready. I fight for fun.

Rockin'
03-13-2005, 12:54 AM
And I fight for money.........Rockin'

Cre_Ace
03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Throw a pick of yourself up, since you talking about mines so much, was that ugly guy with that old lady you? Why you took that one down? lol

Rockin'
03-13-2005, 01:07 AM
Yes the guy was me and the woman was Jackie Kallen, she was my manager. I took it down because I knew that some **** was going to be thrown and I didnt want her image tarnished by the stench that your bull**** emminates..........Rockin'

Cre_Ace
03-13-2005, 01:11 AM
That wasn't your manager, that was the opponent you beat that day, shame on you buddy. And you a bag of bones. Lol, now you really make me laugh, you beat me? hahahahahaha, and you a pro also, well a scrub, cause I never heard of you.

Rockin'
03-13-2005, 01:20 AM
this is the last post on this forum responding to your ****. The rest will be private message. If you want to throw with me, i say lets record it, up and down load it and then let everybody watch it on the site. I'll give you the 60-80 lb weight advantage....... It'll be like playing with a beginning amatuer, which is exactly what you are.........Rockin'

Tha Greatest
03-13-2005, 01:23 AM
this guys a idiot
Cre_Ace, not any person can be managed by Jackie Kallen
She's a hall of fame manager.....

leff
03-13-2005, 07:19 AM
OKAY back to topic than.

Im just to sparring people 2-4 inches taller than me, the trick is make your self small so you easily cover your head and body, keep pumping the jab ( not that you useally will out jabb a lot taller guy but so its in the way for his jabb).

Move on your feet and than bam go straight in and thro 3-4 punch comb and out again.

The best combo against tall guys is head body head.

like headjab right bodyhook and straight ore left hook to the head.

Remeber to counter too the ribbs one the taller guys straight punches.

puppy_dogg
03-13-2005, 07:26 AM
make yourself lower than normal(spread legs farther helps) so he has to come down some to get you, that will give you better chances to land.

looping some of your punches can be very effective as well

leff
03-13-2005, 07:36 AM
make yourself lower than normal(spread legs farther helps) so he has to come down some to get you, that will give you better chances to land.

looping some of your punches can be very effective as well

whats looping your punches???

puppy_dogg
03-13-2005, 07:41 AM
never seen a loop shot?
its basicly for an overhand punch, it helps with the height difference. i cant really put it in to words any better

puppy_dogg
03-13-2005, 07:47 AM
http://www.boxingscene.com/media/data/504/8918Wolfe_vs_Ward_CLIP_.mpg

perfect example of hitting the taller opponent with loop shot

czars_salad
03-13-2005, 07:48 AM
never seen a loop shot?
its basicly for an overhand punch, it helps with the height difference. i cant really put it in to words any better
i believe it's the same signature punch of mayorga, am i correct?

puppy_dogg
03-13-2005, 07:52 AM
i believe it's the same signature punch of mayorga, am i correct?

yes, somewhat. ive never seen him have to throw it very high though.

hopkins knocked down allen with it in the 3rd fight

czars_salad
03-13-2005, 08:06 AM
yes, somewhat. ive never seen him have to throw it very high though.

hopkins knocked down allen with it in the 3rd fight
well, probably he has not gone out with much taller fighter

but this punch is, although very awkward, quite effective for really small guys. it can really reach a taller guys head while the smaller dude's shoulder protects his head.

i hope i made a point there :o

leff
03-13-2005, 10:27 AM
http://www.boxingscene.com/media/data/504/8918Wolfe_vs_Ward_CLIP_.mpg

perfect example of hitting the taller opponent with loop shot

aaah i see, its like a overhand.

yeah overhands, uppercuts and hooks are good against tall guys.

czars_salad
03-13-2005, 07:49 PM
aaah i see, its like a overhand.

yeah overhands, uppercuts and hooks are good against tall guys.
i guess uppercuts are best thrown by taller guys against smaller opponents, because the latter duck more and uppercuts, on a good hit, will lift the opponent's head and eventually, easier to follow with a straight punch :boxing:

leff
03-13-2005, 08:18 PM
your probably thinking of LL he was an exeption, tall guys should use jabs and straights.

Short punces are for the shorter guys, im just 6 and my uppercuts to the ribbs are very efficent.

czars_salad
03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
your probably thinking of LL he was an exeption, tall guys should use jabs and straights.

Short punces are for the shorter guys, im just 6 and my uppercuts to the ribbs are very efficent.
i get what you mean, so uppercuts may also be good for short boxers when thrown to the body. i must admit any punch thrown at the body is very damaging.

but what i was thinking of was an uppercut thrown to the chin. lewis was good at it, and also margarito

Mr. Ryan
03-15-2005, 01:59 PM
I run out of answers sometimes against taller opponents, but have had more success of late with frenetic head movement and reckless abandon.

Rockin'
03-15-2005, 02:15 PM
just get under their jab and shoot the straight right to the body, moving your way in. Then bring up the hook and dig hard from there. Always worked for me. OH yeah, and always keep that head moving...................Rockin'

leff
03-15-2005, 04:31 PM
i get what you mean, so uppercuts may also be good for short boxers when thrown to the body. i must admit any punch thrown at the body is very damaging.

but what i was thinking of was an uppercut thrown to the chin. lewis was good at it, and also margarito

my uppercuts goes mainly to the body yes, but som god ones to the body will make em bend over so i can uppercut their chin to.

boxerman
03-23-2005, 12:37 AM
this is always my problem too. i am 5'9 and 165 when i weigh in. every fn person i fight seems like they are 6'0. sometimes i wish i was in mma and could just take them down to the ground with power and strength.

you also need a little more stamina than the taller guy. at least at first until you land a couple of hard shots. it seems like it takes more wind to get inside than to just sit outside and throw long jabs.

chubb5000
05-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Does anyone purposely try to punch like long armed people in the arm joints to hurt their arms?

meeny
05-03-2005, 02:16 PM
if he is one of those tall guys that just keep jabbing you to keep you away and you find urself being impossible to go inside on him then jab to his ribs when hes jabbing ..take away his body and trust me he doesn't want to extend that punch out because its painful..once you know you got him like that..just go inside and just wreck him

abdiel2k3
05-03-2005, 02:20 PM

chopem down
that means hitem with as many low blows as possible
eventually he wont be able to stand strait
also get in as many elbows n heatbutts as possible