View Full Version : want to start boxing

josh-hill
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
well im not sure if this is the right place but here goes. i want to start boxing but cant afford a membership yet. i realy need to get into shape before i start as well. i have a gym membership and things. i dont want to compete but willi need a membership to a boxing gym? between now and when i can afford it what should i do to get in shape? my punch is shockingly weak, what should i do to increase explosive power? and will running and bodyweight excercises be enough to increase my stamina? thanks

rockymarciano1
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
do h.i.i.t and plyometric pushups
also do sprints

josh-hill
09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
cheers, correct me if im wrong but is hiit high intensity internal training? do you do that with all excercises or just caardio or even just running/ jogging? and are ushups the only stregnth building excercise i need to do? thanks

mrboxer
09-16-2009, 10:45 AM
well im not sure if this is the right place but here goes. i want to start boxing but cant afford a membership yet. i realy need to get into shape before i start as well. i have a gym membership and things. i dont want to compete but willi need a membership to a boxing gym? between now and when i can afford it what should i do to get in shape? my punch is shockingly weak, what should i do to increase explosive power? and will running and bodyweight excercises be enough to increase my stamina? thanksno on all counts,you are not fit or ready to join a gym,stay at home and do sit ups,push ups,and stand in front of a mirror and throw punches,start of with jab,jab,right and repeat after a couple of days change your punches around and start to throw your punches at a faster speed,after 3 months of this you will be fit,confident,and will be readty to join a boxing gym and start hitting the bags,heavy and speed bags,good luck:boxing:

Equilibrium
09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
well im not sure if this is the right place but here goes. i want to start boxing but cant afford a membership yet. i realy need to get into shape before i start as well. i have a gym membership and things. i dont want to compete but willi need a membership to a boxing gym? between now and when i can afford it what should i do to get in shape? my punch is shockingly weak, what should i do to increase explosive power? and will running and bodyweight excercises be enough to increase my stamina? thanks

Welcome, before i say anything i'll just warn you to not listen to anything that mrboxer says, he is a troll, knows nothing about boxing and should not be taken seriously.

First off, if you want to start boxing you will need to go to a gym simply to learn the actual sport, i mean, you have to start somewhere and learn technique in order to be able to put it in practice.

That being said there are tons of things you can do at home to get you in better boxing shape. Like you said the body weight exercises are a great place to start, push ups, sit ups, dips, pull ups, chin ups, and running are all great.

To increase explosive power there are a ton of things you can do, a lot of them will require a medicine ball, so if you have the budget i would suggest getting one.

You can do plyometric push ups, also know as clap push ups. The clapping part isn't important, it's basically just a push up in which you put enough force to lift your hands of the ground.

With a medecine ball there are tons of stuff you can do, throws, slams, overhead throws, ect.

And don't worry about not having a hard punch, i'm not saying you will be a knock out artist tommorow, but once you learn the technique and start training you will see a lot of improvement in that area.

mrboxer
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
you must be mad what are you trying to say,get with the program and stop copying my posts,if you want to know any thing about boxing ask me and i will tell you:boxing:

josh-hill
09-16-2009, 02:59 PM
thanks guys. can i just ask why people sugest BW excercises rather than doing a gym workout?

mrboxer
09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
what are you going to gain from curls,your arms will get bigger but curls do not make you a good boxer,jab,jab,right,dance,bob and weave,jab,jab,fight,do these for a couple of weeks and you will see good punch improvement for starters:boxing:

josh-hill
09-16-2009, 03:54 PM
ok then. i still dont understand how pushups hp with that either but thanks for the help. ill get jabbing. p.s. i dont meen just curls and bench press, i did meen a proper workout.

mrboxer
09-16-2009, 03:59 PM
good for you,jab,jab,right,this is the way i started and last week in the bar i kayoed the mouthy bouncer with this easy but effective combo:boxing:

josh-hill
09-16-2009, 04:54 PM
thanks. is the right a right hook?

mrboxer
09-16-2009, 05:09 PM
you are not ready for right hooks yet,you need the basics down pat first,you are a newbie,be patient:boxing:

josh-hill
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
so what do you meen by right?

RightCross94
09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
oh man

DONT listen to mrboxer kid, DONT listen to him!!

Just get to a boxing gym and start training, if you want to, you can do a few weeks of bodyweight exercises (push ups, sit ups etc) and running to build a base fitness.

RightCross94
09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
you are not ready for fight hooks yet,you need the basics down pat first,you are a newbie,be patient:boxing:

Shut the **** up. I really hate people like you who mislead beginners. I know it's only the net but this kid is probably taking what you say seriously because he knows no better.

mrboxer
09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
what i mean by right is an over hand right,make sure after you throw your second jab you bring your left hand to your jaw level and keep your chin tucked in,i think you are already making progress,i am not a trainer but i will gladly help you when you have a question,:boxing:

Dynamite Glove
09-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Alot of tough guys didn't wanna compete on day one, they just went for other reasons and got hooked. Once you develop and begin recognizing and building on your strengths, you'll have a strong desire to test it against another boxer. Don't worry about power, focus on technique and keeping your hands up and the power will come, just keep practicing the basics. Get a nice strong jab keep working the jab..

Magician
09-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Power comes from punching technique and muscle (alongside fat, but mostly muscle).

I do agree NOT to listen to mrbroxer, I tried to do it all on my own, thinking I was Mr.Right and could go pro in my livingroom, guess what, I wasn't even doing it right!!
There could be 20 different mistakes you're making that you're not even aware of when boxing. A trainer is the answer (plus your own learning can benefit)!

But I do agree on trying to improve your stamina before you go there. Stamina with arms (just keep punching random punches, so you have enough stamina to go on for hours in the GYM). Small runs, a few push ups, chin ups (try not to overdue it or your muscle will be torn when you go to the GYM).
The reason for this is, you should try your hardest in the GYM. They do treat us like animals in the GYM I go to, it's full on professional type training they offer us. Our trainer even trained some previous professional fighters who had big name fights.