View Full Version : Who's fighter style do you try to emulate? or whats your own style?

Dyl-G
11-21-2004, 06:17 PM
my personal favorite style was when roy jones fought vinny panzienza and jabbed constantly and countered with left hooks and completely sealed his eye shut. :)

julDilla
11-21-2004, 06:26 PM
winky wright his defense is what i usually do and hopkins offense i try and copy his fighting stance in a southpaw way :eek:

jack_the_rippuh
11-21-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm a southpaw as well. I like keeping my hands up at all times, like Hopkins or Mayweather, and I like leading with a right hook (like Jones with the left hook..) I also like doing multiple jabs while stepping in (like De La Hoya) I'm still developing my straight left, since I'm not left handed, but I think I can do damage, I'm very accurate with it....I want to learn how to move and counter like Whitaker..

rsl
11-21-2004, 06:46 PM
I try to emulate Mike Tyson's and Chavez's style, but people say, I remind them of Livingston Bramble. My first coach was a pressure fighter so alot of his students are what you would describe as " phone-booth" fighters so more like a Wayne McCullough and Ray Mancini. Right now I just joined this backyard boxing gym, it's this old mexican guy who's well-known throughout my area through other boxing coaches, I haven't been with him for a long time so it's hard to say what his style is similar to. It's also kinda tough cause I've been out of boxing for several years now and just trying to get the rust out of my system, I don't plan on competing anymore just trying to get back into shape and get back to sparring level. What's funny is some of the things that were taught to me by 1st ever boxing coach, this new coach of mine is in disagreeance w/ it, so I'm having a hard time adapting to his theories and approach to the game but at the same time I'm gaining new knowledge. I dread the day when I can no longer exercise the sport of boxing w/ fluidity, I would much rather lace 'em up than take a walk in the park.

rsl
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
The professional boxers I love to watch and try to learn from were and are " Finito" Lopez, Genaro Hernandez, Azumah Nelson, Hagler, Tito Trinidad, Holyfield.... I can go on and on. Boxers I like to watch' cause of amazing athletic ability are Roy Jones Jr., Mayweather Jr., Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard and Prince Naseem Hamed are some of the few

tino
11-21-2004, 07:42 PM
i try to emulate morrad's hakkar style , but i m winded after the first round

Argentina
11-21-2004, 09:52 PM
My favorite fighter is Vitali, but to have that style you have to have his physical attributes, i.e. it's just right for him. Wladimir's style is solid, but if I had to pick I'd go with Tyson. From my experience, htere's nothing like placing immense pressure properly on an opponent, that is overwhelming him with the accuracy, speed, and power which Tyson had. He was also cautious and had great slipping abilities. Plus in fighting is a must, and wiht Tyson's short arms this would be perfect.

boxer2k5
11-21-2004, 10:45 PM
i would say my style is a combination of the strengths of my faviorte fighters and a mix of my own strengths

i love roys ring work so i practice getting my movement down
as well as spinks and byrd

i hit and move hit and move
and defend while moving

mix my punches up from their speed to their power

my other fighter i love to mimmick is james toney
i love his ellusiveness and ability to be offensive and defensive at the same time

thats something im working on as well

my own strengths is that i dont fight the same way
i feel im l mimmick a cameleon more than any of my fav boxers
because i swithc my gameplan up all the time

when if i ever become pro and people study me they can never say im going to come out and fight liek i ddi in my other fights

the only way i would is if my next opponent is just liek my last

i also study animals especially cats
their reflexes is crazy

i watched a alley cat fight a dog before and loved how the cat stood gaurd and was able to nulify the dogs power with its speed and reflexes

and it wasnt a coensidence because i have 2 friends both with a cat and a dog and numerous times ive seen them scuffle
and the cats beat the dogs
using quick flurries counters

speed and movement is my game

Deejay
11-22-2004, 01:13 AM
I like many different styles. Namely Rjj's slickness, Tito's creeping death style and am trying to incorporate this into my own style. I'm more of a mover but need to work on standing in the pocket and using movement from my waist upward while staying in range to throw punches. I'm also trying to keep my hands up and chin tucked in ala Cotto. Lots of things to keep working at but practice makes perfect right?

rsl
11-22-2004, 01:23 AM
You know what 's funny I see alot of posts that has RJJ all over it and guys, I must say that I thought you guys were smarter than that, Roy is an exciting athlete to watch, but to emulate his "style" is downright stupid, y'all have seen what happened to him in his last two fights. I think he's one of the worse fighters to pick stuff up from, the reality is none of us have or is close to his Royness's athletic ability and if someone tries the stuff that Roy does like lead w/ a hook or straight punch and have our hands down, against a guy that knows what they're doing, somebody will endup picking up their tooth or more off the floor.

Dyl-G
11-22-2004, 01:35 AM
we are emulating though not copying, i incorporate Roys strategies and boxing styles into my own its like the difference between an architect and a designer. an architect will tell you this is how your house is going to be built and a designer will work with you to customize your house and give you tips. i do this even though i am no where close to any professionals athlectic ability but you learn a lot if you pay attention (i.e. : "watch and learn")

Pullcounter
11-22-2004, 01:54 AM
You should emulate the boxer who's body type and athleticism that most closely resembles your own.

IF you have fast feet, fast hands, long arms, skinny legs, and good athleticism then you can emulate RJJ's fighting style.

If you have slow feet, slow hands, average arms, thick legs, and no athleticism then you can emulate John Ruiz's fighting style.

blockburna944
11-22-2004, 02:03 AM
I think the benefit of Roy Jones's style is (or was in his prime) the psychological impact it had on opponents. He would do things that completely exposed him to open shots, but he used his athleticism to show that they were merely traps for opponents to get caught in. Leading with hooks and straights make for a very unpredictable fighter, but few people possess the athleticism to use such tactics to the advantage like he did.

Some of the fighters i try to emulate are guys like Manny Pacquiao who exhibits incredible footwork, some devastating 1-2s, and can fight pretty well from both stances (i do pretty much nothing but orthodox, though). Also some of Fernando Vargas's more recent fights showed a lot sound technical skill, but i kind of like the charge-forward streetfight style of guys like Mayorga too. I also love the footwork in the early Ali fights, theres nothing quite like it.

I try to emulate parts of the styles of a lot of guys mentioned in earlier posts as well. One thing ive really been focusing on recently is developing good counter-punching techniques.

abdiel2k3
11-22-2004, 02:04 AM
different styles for different moments
i like doing
some dlh snapping dat jab "course dont look nothin like his"
some rjj leaden left hooks
some barrera calm tactical break down of the other fighter
and ofcourse theres more too
but those are the main ones

leff
11-22-2004, 04:34 AM
Good question id say my style is a bit like marciano` , good left uppercut and overhand right, but i got a lot better reach so i do good straights and jabs as well.

I like wlad and vit style, few see the beauty in Vit`s style.
I also like tyson, frazier, LL and Foreman`s style

phallus
11-22-2004, 04:37 AM
the style i most love is James Toney's, but i'm a lot less talented of a fighter, i don't think i'll ever get that style down, but i ain't giving up just yet. when i'm in shape, which is not now, i'm a swarmer

jack_the_rippuh
11-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Anybody use Bruce Lee's style?

Mr. Untouchable
11-22-2004, 11:55 AM
I try to emulate floyd mayweather jr's style or muhammad ali....I like floyd's defense and left hook and ali's premise of floating like a butterfly and stinging like a be...But I fight like wayne braithwaite....

http://69.44.61.80/5/userfiles/41623387d3aef.gif
I took this gif from one of the members, I apologize, but this is how I like to get down...

boxer2k5
11-22-2004, 08:30 PM
You know what 's funny I see alot of posts that has RJJ all over it and guys, I must say that I thought you guys were smarter than that, Roy is an exciting athlete to watch, but to emulate his "style" is downright stupid, y'all have seen what happened to him in his last two fights. I think he's one of the worse fighters to pick stuff up from, the reality is none of us have or is close to his Royness's athletic ability and if someone tries the stuff that Roy does like lead w/ a hook or straight punch and have our hands down, against a guy that knows what they're doing, somebody will endup picking up their tooth or more off the floor.

we seen what happen to him in his last fights but to forget about what happen in his 48 other fights is whats really stupid

and we know roy at his best was unbeatable
and the roy style we like is not him on the ropes taking punches and taking his opponent unlikely

we liek and emulate the way roy was able to punch with tremdous speed and power at any angle and land and move before his opponent was able to launch a counter attack

thats what i like and love about hsi style and he showed he can do that from middle to heavyweight

and it took 15 years before someone could beat him

and everytime roy lsot(2 times) it was because he wasnt doing what made him great and lookign past his opponent

i thought you was smarter than that

boxer2k5
11-22-2004, 08:34 PM
we are emulating though not copying, i incorporate Roys strategies and boxing styles into my own its like the difference between an architect and a designer. an architect will tell you this is how your house is going to be built and a designer will work with you to customize your house and give you tips. i do this even though i am no where close to any professionals athlectic ability but you learn a lot if you pay attention (i.e. : "watch and learn")

i agree
i knwo i said i try and use his strengths not his weakness
i dont copy roy but i encorporate some of his tactics

Dyl-G
11-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Anybody use Bruce Lee's style?

thatd be coo but you cant kick no one in boxing but his footwork would be a nice thing to take note of

boxer2k5
11-23-2004, 12:47 AM
bruce used his hands more than his footwork

and he would have been a great boxer

its stories of him sparring with joe louis and joe not being able to touch him at all
and bruce countering everything the man threw at him

bruce wasnt limited to his feet his whole pholosphy was to be fluid and not limited

so his hands were as deadly as his feet

i would love ot master the 1 inch punch and do it in boxing
people would think everyone was taking dives for me because they jsut fell out of nowhere

BoxingPromoter
11-23-2004, 04:48 PM
I don't box anymore, but when I daydream I emmulate Ali, tyson,
and foreman. :mad:

Dyl-G
11-23-2004, 06:24 PM
why dont you box no more?

Argentina
11-23-2004, 10:17 PM
those stories are wrong. Joe Louis would rip Bruce Lee apart. I'm tired of these stupid Bruce Lee myths. Does anyone think a 130 lb super featherweight woudl beat up a heavyweight? No! and those featherweights Fight for A LIVING. they've fought infinitely more times than Bruce has. Bruce has barely fought in comparison. And i'm done even talking about this. Trust me, a world class boxer rips apart a martial artist. i'm a second degree black belt, and I also like boxing. I have some experience in this.

realtim
11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Im a fan of Bruce Lee and boxing so i am not going to start coming out with nonsense like Bruce lee would have beat the crap out of this guy and all that crap.
Bruce said it himself the big guy will always beat the little guy but he said as long as the small guy shows courage and heart then the big guy will always respect him for it. Thats not an exact quote. Bruce used to watch boxing alot. Sandy Saddler, Willy Pep. He liked Gene Tunney and also Marciano. Then there was the fantasy fight between him and Ali. Bruce was qouted as saying Ali would have killed him. Bruce new his limitations maybe thats why he didnt fight competively.

Eken
11-29-2004, 05:04 AM
Muhammad Ali and Roy Jones Jr.

rsl
11-29-2004, 01:22 PM
we seen what happen to him in his last fights but to forget about what happen in his 48 other fights is whats really stupid

and we know roy at his best was unbeatable
and the roy style we like is not him on the ropes taking punches and taking his opponent unlikely

we liek and emulate the way roy was able to punch with tremdous speed and power at any angle and land and move before his opponent was able to launch a counter attack

thats what i like and love about hsi style and he showed he can do that from middle to heavyweight

and it took 15 years before someone could beat him

and everytime roy lsot(2 times) it was because he wasnt doing what made him great and lookign past his opponent

i thought you was smarter than that
I shouldn't even respond to this 'cause it's just downright dumb.... Obviously you did not read my posts carefully or understood it correctly. Roy's tenure as being a top P4P fighter had nothing to do w/ his fighting "style".... Sh*t Roy could've had any style and still would've had the same type of career. How the f*ck does someone emulate's Roy's athletic prowess, as you stated? Now the few things that I do like about Jones Jr. did and can realistically apply in our own training and some of you have mentioned is how he would hardly back into the ropes, not being a stationary target and punching from angles but everything else that Roy does is total B.S. That is why he has gotten cold****ed in his last two losses and not because his " head" wasn't in the game. I dare any of you guys to actually step up the quality of your sparring partners that don't f**k around, instead of fighting inexperience kids or trying to practice on mannequins and try to do the b.s. that Roy, Hamed, and Ali would do. Every single one of us will get taken apart.

simeraksou
11-29-2004, 06:19 PM
You should emulate the boxer who's body type and athleticism that most closely resembles your own.

IF you have fast feet, fast hands, long arms, skinny legs, and good athleticism then you can emulate RJJ's fighting style.

If you have slow feet, slow hands, average arms, thick legs, and no athleticism then you can emulate John Ruiz's fighting style.
LMAO! i think john ruiz learned his style from watching WWE, so if you want to emulate that style watch a lot of wrestling

simeraksou
11-29-2004, 06:23 PM
those stories are wrong. Joe Louis would rip Bruce Lee apart. I'm tired of these stupid Bruce Lee myths. Does anyone think a 130 lb super featherweight woudl beat up a heavyweight? No! and those featherweights Fight for A LIVING. they've fought infinitely more times than Bruce has. Bruce has barely fought in comparison. And i'm done even talking about this. Trust me, a world class boxer rips apart a martial artist. i'm a second degree black belt, and I also like boxing. I have some experience in this.
it's not beyond reason to imagine that a 130 lb guy can defeat a heavyweight. i mean, suppose the 130 lb guy was just so much faster and the heavyweight tired out by trying to catch him that he collapsed (like wladimir klit)

simeraksou
11-29-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm a southpaw as well. I like keeping my hands up at all times, like Hopkins or Mayweather, and I like leading with a right hook (like Jones with the left hook..) I also like doing multiple jabs while stepping in (like De La Hoya) I'm still developing my straight left, since I'm not left handed, but I think I can do damage, I'm very accurate with it....I want to learn how to move and counter like Whitaker..
question: if you're not left-handed, why do you fight south paw?

paulmmv
11-30-2004, 01:35 AM
when i box/spar i like to use eiter de la hoya's style or holyfields

alberto_villa
11-30-2004, 03:54 PM
my favorite boxer is Kosta Tsyu. I think he is good all around. The thunder from down under has shown his power and boxing skills when he fought Zab Judat.

simeraksou
12-04-2004, 12:45 PM
my personal favorite style was when roy jones fought vinny panzienza and jabbed constantly and countered with left hooks and completely sealed his eye shut. :)
I like mayweather jr.'s defense. I think it's one of the best, maybe along with james toney.

simeraksou
12-04-2004, 12:47 PM
How do you know that none of us have athletic ability that is close to roy jones'? maybe some of us do but we haven't showed it to the world yet

cms
12-06-2004, 09:31 PM
well guys here is my style: im orthodox so i keep my hands just under my eyes close to my head, i like to jab and i usually through 2-7 punches in flurrys. you could say i use Hopkin's style of stance but prob like ali's style of throwing punches

BoxingPromoter
12-07-2004, 11:40 AM
why dont you box no more?

Read the thread "worst boxing experiance" by me and you will know.

jack_the_rippuh
12-07-2004, 12:15 PM
question: if you're not left-handed, why do you fight south paw?

It may sound funny to you, but I just can't move as effective with my left foot in front (orthodox stance)..
It's not because I'm a one-armed wonder or something, I use both hands, it's just the whole movement thing.

Mr. Violence
12-08-2004, 03:25 AM
its best to learn the basics first before you try to emulate Ali or sugar ray leonard, both those guys had amazing athletic ability that let them get away with bad habits like keeping their hands down. Not everyone is blessed with their amazing quickness. so learn the basics first then if you find you have the same gifts as your idols then throw in some if their traits.

Hunna
12-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Hopkins style is a almost copybook. Hes style is a great example for up and coming fighters wanting to adopt a good boxing technique. An individuals speed, build, strength and athletic background, helps make their style. A short stocky guy, may adopt a more bob and weave style like iron Mike. But a tall fast athletic guy , may adopt a technique similar to Mundineor Hopkins.

TysonForeman
12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
It seems like the all around best style to use would be a Joe Louis style, unless you're short.

jack_the_rippuh
12-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Anybody use Whitaker's style?

{BrownBomber}
12-10-2004, 05:13 PM
EVER SEEN THAT CROUCHING TIGER MOVIE AND A LOT OF OTHER ASIAN MOVIES WHERE THEY TEND TO EXAGERATE SKILLS AND HUMAN ABILITIES.THEY R WORST THAN ROCKY MOVIES :D

leff
12-10-2004, 05:22 PM
It seems like the all around best style to use would be a Joe Louis style, unless you're short.

Hmmmm, how is Louis style???

rsl
12-11-2004, 06:50 PM
How do you know that none of us have athletic ability that is close to roy jones'? maybe some of us do but we haven't showed it to the world yetLMFAO, Dreaming is not against the law is it?

TysonForeman
12-11-2004, 10:33 PM
LMFAO, Dreaming is not against the law is it?
LOL!! I have to agree, most people have nowhere near the Athletic talent of Roy Jones, Ali, Ray Robinson, Jim Jeffries.

Hunna
12-11-2004, 11:50 PM
You need a mix of styles you know, use all of your tools.
Tyson agression, Hopkins neat boxing, RJJ speed, Hagler's tenacity would be a great mix to base your styles on.

Dyl-G
12-12-2004, 12:16 AM
wow this is a really great thread

jack_the_rippuh
12-12-2004, 10:35 AM
You need a mix of styles you know, use all of your tools.
Tyson agression, Hopkins neat boxing, RJJ speed, Hagler's tenacity would be a great mix to base your styles on.

RJJ's stance had a lot to do with his speed..

Floydmayweather
01-18-2005, 05:57 AM
I guess i kind of fight like floyd i fight in a turtle style defense and im a southpaw so that irritate the hell out of my oppenents. Also i like to use the shoulder roll now it took me alot of practice and its still needs work but when im in trouble in a corner it usually gets me out and allows me to get some shots in on my oppenent.

Mr. Ryan
01-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I fight similar to De La Hoya, on my toes moving and stopping once in awhile to get my punches in. I seem to be more effective when I'm the aggressor because then I can make the fight better. I just come in, move my head a little, and get inside to work the body. Very simple I guess.

Mr. Ryan
01-18-2005, 12:43 PM
My best advice is to stop emulating these fighters, and just listen to what your trainer is telling you. If you get caught up in watching these fighters and doing what they do ithout the proper training, you'll find yourself in real trouble when you step in there with a skilled, disciplined fighter (Think Hamed-Barrera). I've seen a million of these ****y kids in the gym, doing their best Roy Jones impersonation. It's a good thing they're there, I need sparring partners. Just do what your trainer tells you to do. If your trainer tells you to keep your hands up, do it. They know what they're doing.

tillman78
01-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Even Though Im A Heavyweight I Try To Emulate Kostya. Not Many Punches But Very Accurate

Fistecles
01-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Tyson and Cotto are 2 boxers I'd like to mimic. I know COtoo is new, but I like his technique, very sharp

Floydmayweather
01-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I agree about listening to your trainer but a good trainer usually helps u improve of off the style u already have. I nevered paid attention to who i fought like but i guess now i fight kinda like PBF and Toney.