View Full Version : Who is the oldest fighter to take up boxing and have a good career no heavyweights

Joey Giardello
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Included! who is it?

Benncollinsaad
09-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Dwight Braxton Qawi.

Joey Giardello
09-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Dwight Braxton Qawi.

i think there is older fighters out there than dwight, wasnt he 25?

Stoppage
09-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Nate Campbell turned pro at 28 in 2000 and is still fighting today.

Benncollinsaad
09-12-2009, 04:37 PM
i think there is older fighters out there than dwight, wasnt he 25?

Yeah, but name one who was better!

GJC
09-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Would have been interesting to see how far László Papp could have gone if the Hungarians didn't stop him. In his 30's when he turned pro after 3 gold medals in 3 different olympics.

JAB5239
09-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Would have been interesting to see how far László Papp could have gone if the Hungarians didn't stop him. In his 30's when he turned pro after 3 gold medals in 3 different olympics.

31 when he turned pro and a very solid fighter. His inclusion in the IBHOF has always bothered me though. Nothing against him, I just don't see his career as being worthy of the HOF.

Would have been interesting if he had, or could have turned pro after his first Olympics. He would have been 22 at that time and come along during one of the golden era's for middleweights.

RightCross94
09-14-2009, 03:39 AM
Jess Willard, age 29

Sure he was pretty **** skillwise, but he was tough, had a punch and was HW champ.

RightCross94
09-14-2009, 03:40 AM
oh, didnt see the no heavyweights thing

GJC
09-14-2009, 01:34 PM
31 when he turned pro and a very solid fighter. His inclusion in the IBHOF has always bothered me though. Nothing against him, I just don't see his career as being worthy of the HOF.

Would have been interesting if he had, or could have turned pro after his first Olympics. He would have been 22 at that time and come along during one of the golden era's for middleweights.
No I agree his pro career doesn't warrant inclusion as it was one of the great what might have been. Re his inclusion do they put amateurs in, I.e. Are savron and Stevenson in? If so then Papp deserves his place.

JAB5239
09-14-2009, 04:00 PM
No I agree his pro career doesn't warrant inclusion as it was one of the great what might have been. Re his inclusion do they put amateurs in, I.e. Are savron and Stevenson in? If so then Papp deserves his place.

Neither Savon nor Stevenson are in the hall.

On the amateur level I agree that Papp has earned a place. I would imagine his induction as a pro though has more to do with the injustice of having his career pulled out from under his feet and never getting to fulfill his potential though.

I know there is no set criteria for induction to the IBHOF. Its more of a popularity contest that is voted on by the the "Boxing writers of America association" than something that is based on actual accomplishments.

GJC
09-14-2009, 07:47 PM
I would imagine his induction as a pro though has more to do with the injustice of having his career pulled out from under his feet and never getting to fulfill his potential though.

I think you are probably right, with maybe a nod towards his amateur achievements. I don't really follow the hall of fame and its criteria, are there any other Olympic Gold medalists that maybe didn't have great pro careers in there?