View Full Version : Fury just didn't look like the real deal to me!?

Special K
09-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Let's be honest, McD was walking through that jab, landing shots relatively easily - not enough movement of head or body from Fury. I was a Fury fan, but a reappraisal is needed - Fury isn't ready to challenge any real contenders. McD won that fight, and Fury looked like a guy out of ideas. He is only 21, so if he's got brains he'll go away and rethink, get in better shape and learn to make use of his assets...jab and move! Definitely needs a controlled diet and weights program - lacked the power or speed to trouble McDermott near enough.

Sick/
09-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Let's be honest, McD was walking through that jab, landing shots relatively easily - not enough movement of head or body from Fury. I was a Fury fan, but a reappraisal is needed - Fury isn't ready to challenge any real contenders. McD won that fight, and Fury looked like a guy out of ideas. He is only 21, so if he's got brains he'll go away and rethink, get in better shape and learn to make use of his assets...jab and move! Definitely needs a controlled diet and weights program - lacked the power or speed to trouble McDermott near enough.

Good post.

Rocky...
09-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Fury lost that fight, he should been a defetaed fighter right now, but cause he was the big prospect he got the decison, its happened many times before and will happen again.

Boxing is a ****ing dying sport, because of **** like this, no wonder mma is taking over.

Tyson fury was 10/1 to win the fight going into the last round with bet365, imagine if you lobbed a 100 on him eh.

Gorgeous George
09-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I would of put the foot through the tv if i had money on mcdermott....

Special K
09-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I would of put the foot through the tv if i had money on mcdermott....

Yeah, me too! Was a bent decision, but keeps Fury on course. TBH, we've seen it all before: I still remember Bruno vs Jumbo Cummings when Lawless had the bell rung early with Bruno badly rocked. Fury is the golden boy just like Bruno was then. That said, Fury was never in real danger of being stopped by McDermott, but it's obvious he's short on the skills, and KO power, needed to go toe to toe with the guys a level above McD.

Infern0
09-11-2009, 08:12 PM
DSOnt be too hard on fury, i am going to do a long post of my thoughts on this fight

Special K
09-11-2009, 08:26 PM
DSOnt be too hard on fury, i am going to do a long post of my thoughts on this fight

Not being hard on him, just realistic. Would you put him in with the winner of Sexton Rogan? Because in some quarters that is his next logical fight. After McDermott, I'd seriously worry for Fury against the winner of that bout. But as I said, he's only 21 and can go away and work hard on his shortcomings. I don't know how disciplined and dedicated he is, but he learned a big lesson about the fight game tonight for sure.

The RealDeal
09-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Tyson Fury = a White Audley Harrison.

NigelBenn
09-12-2009, 12:30 PM
a scandelous decision, I still can't believe it.

McDermott deserves a rematch, and Fury had better take it, because he needs all the practise he can get. Last night proved he is nowhere near ready for serious contenders.

*2TOUGH*
09-12-2009, 12:52 PM

good post, agree with EVERYTHING here, Fury if your reading this? GET IN SHAPE, and watch a few WLAD fights.

Smokin' Caesar
09-12-2009, 01:18 PM
really good post, i saw the fight yesterday and it was really a joke that fury won it, i don't see in him the next good boxer, just a solid fighter. it is a shame for the whole heavyweightboxing assocation that mcdermott lose it.

D-MiZe
09-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Fury is not the real deal under his Uncle Huey.

Freedom2014
09-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I finally got around to watching the fight. I thought the score of 98-92 by O'Connor was too wide, but it was a close fight and no way did McDermott clearly win it. Watt was nuthugging McDermott and making him out to be doing better than he actually was, and his scoring was was just as bad as O'Conner's.

There were rounds that Fury won that Watt gave to McDermott. Sometimes Fury would land five to McDermott's one, but Watt kept talking about the punches McDermott landed.

McDermott did a lot of illegal stuff, such as repeatedly holding Fury's arm. Either time when he turned his back after being hurt by a Fury punch, O'Connor could have stopped the fight and called it a TKO for Fury.

Cadillac Man
09-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Fury is GARBAGE! PERIOD!

gingeralbino
09-13-2009, 05:39 AM
I finally got around to watching the fight. I thought the score of 98-92 by O'Connor was too wide, but it was a close fight and no way did McDermott clearly win it. Watt was nuthugging McDermott and making him out to be doing better than he actually was, and his scoring was was just as bad as O'Conner's.

There were rounds that Fury won that Watt gave to McDermott. Sometimes Fury would land five to McDermott's one, but Watt kept talking about the punches McDermott landed.

McDermott did a lot of illegal stuff, such as repeatedly holding Fury's arm. Either time when he turned his back after being hurt by a Fury punch, O'Connor could have stopped the fight and called it a TKO for Fury.
I agree with that. I scored it 6-4 to Mcdermott though, with one round (i gave to Mcdermott) that i struggled to see a winner in. A draw would've been acceptable to me. But I really, REALLY hate it when a fighter turns his back, and big bad John turned his back a few times. Thought he should've been ducked a point for it (Concidering the joke of a score the ref gave i'm surprised he didnt tbh) in the last round. Jim Watt was annoying me, i usually like the him but he was on McDermotts nuts in that fight. He made it seem more one sided than it was.

Tyson is still young, it was only his 8th fight, and even if he probably should've lost, he didnt look out of place in the ring against a solid fighter. Concidering his age and experiance he's doing well. He knows he got a bit of a gift, and he said he'd give him a rematch, so i'd expect him to work twice as hard for it. I dont think he thought McDermott had a chance going into the fight, he wont make that mistake again. If he trains like **** he should be able to beat him (legit) next time. I thought he was gonna get KOd late, as he was gassing badly in rounds 7 and 8. He's never gone past 4 (i think) before so stamina was a bit of an issue. When he got his 2nd wind (and desperation kicked in) he won the last 2 rounds, but his punches had nothing on them at that stage. I reckon i could've taken most of them without flinching.

But he needs some decent training. He wasnt able to use his size to his advantage at all. Manny Stewert is ideal for him. Also, he needs to stay at that level, or maybe even a touch lower for a year until he develops more as a fighter. I like the way he's been rushing himself, but he's doing it a bit too much (still needs to keep busy though)

to sum up - he got a bit lucky (not as lucky as some are suggesting imo), but hopefully it'll act as the kick in the ass he needs to get in tip-top shape, never take an opponent lightly again.

Edit - forgot to mention his chin. It looks solid enough. He only looked wobbly briefly when he was knackered. I suspected it would be pretty good, hes of irish gypo decent, and they can usually take a hell of a beating before they go down.

HARRY KNUCKLES
09-13-2009, 05:52 PM
i like this scribes take on the fury/mcderm fight.
he tends to go too soft on the britts for my liking
but is the most insightful. and is one of the few
scribes who actualy knows how to write.
TYSON FURY W10 JOHN McDERMOTT

<!-- begin content --> Brentwood, Essex, Sept. 11

<label>Archive:</label>
No

<label>Setting:</label>
Brentwood, Essex, Sept. 11

<label>Main Body:</label>
There has been quite a fuss over the points verdict that unbeaten heavyweight Tyson Fury received over John McDermott in their earnest and entertaining 10-rounder on Friday night.
In Britain, the referee is often also the sole judge, depending on the status of a bout — this was one was for the English (not British) title and therefore did not qualify for the three judges system.
Perhaps three judges would not have seen the bout the same way as Mr. O’Connor. It is something for the British Boxing Board of Control to consider.
McDermott’s promoter, Frank Maloney, was understandably outraged over the verdict. The Sky TV commentary team of Jim Watt and Adam Smith felt that McDermott had won and the verdict was booed. Boxing Monthly editor Glyn Leach told me he’d canvassed opinion within the British fight trade and couldn’t find anyone who thought Fury won, although he had yet to speak to anyone in the Fury camp.
This seemed to me to be a highly competitive fight and I think the main problem was the referee’s 98-92 scoring. There seemed no way that Fury had won eight of the 10 rounds.
McDermott fought one of his best fights. He pressed forward and landed the heavier, more eye-catching blows. The towering, 6ft 8in Fury did some good work with the jab, sometimes jolting back McDermott’s head, and he put in some fast bursts of punches to the body. McDermott seemed to be forging ahead but Fury rallied in the last two rounds and finally seemed to hurt his more experienced opponent when he fought off fatigue to land right uppercuts in an exciting last round.
I came up with a 95-95 draw but I had the sense that McDermott had done enough. Jim Watt’s score of 96-94 in favour of McDermott was just one round away from a draw. The fight was close. The debate here, in my opinion, should be focused on the referee’s outlandish interpretation of what had happened, not on the fight itself.

Last Updated: September 13, 2009 10:14am

<!-- end content -->

Copyright 2006 Graham Houston. | an IMAGEXMEDIA site (http://www.imagexmedia.com/) | Login (http://www.fightwriter.com/login)

Infern0
09-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Like i keep saying, he is a kid who came in in terrible shape with no experience and he held his own against a solid top 10 british heavyweight. think of it thus, if there was no hype around fury, and he was just a 7-0 guy brought in to fight mcdermott and he fought like that we would all be saying "this kids got potential"