View Full Version : Is Prince Naseem Hamed ever coming back.

sgtheny
03-06-2005, 09:19 PM
He was probably the most fun fighter to watch. His antics and his un orthodox fighting style made him very exiting to watch. I heard rumors about him fighting some hungarian guy but nothing else since.

.::EnRiQuE::.
03-06-2005, 11:52 PM
he supposedly coming back around october or suttin like dat, but i doubt it. some say he has blown up 30 pounds above the featherweight division when he was in retirement

SuckaPunch
03-07-2005, 12:44 AM
I do hope he comes back. No matter how much you love or hate Prince Naseem, you gotta admit he's fun to watch. I don't care if becomes a contender again, I'll just watch him purely for entertainment.

adeelr
03-07-2005, 02:20 AM
people have been talkin about the return for prince forever, why doesn't anybody come up with some real news...is there any interview or press release from the prince.?

cornerman
03-07-2005, 04:10 PM
We keep hearing rumors every few months that he is coming back, last i heard he was coming back in Summer probably at Lightweight. However having seen him on the front of Boxing News a couple of years ago when he was way over weight i kinda figured he probably wouldn't be coming back.
I think a lot of his style was built on confidence that he was good enough not to get hit, when that confidence was gone after the Barrera match he just didnt see the same anymore. Mind you he has only had one fight since loosing to Barrera.

hatcheeks
03-07-2005, 04:20 PM
naz will never come back. it would take him 2 years to lose enough weight to make welterweight ! 3yrs on he will only be slower, fighting in a bigger weight division and so will not be as devestating as he was, and will have lost his supreme confidence.

oj21
03-07-2005, 08:40 PM
I think he will try to do a comeback and will want to be taken seriously but, will find out that it is alot harder than he thought. I did read an article ( I can't remember where, somewhere on the web) that read that he is training and that he is planning a comeback probably in at lightweight. It would be interesting to see if he could make it back. Just like alot of you have already said, love him or hate him, he is(was) one of the most entertaining fighters we have seen in some time.

butatista
03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
nah cant see it happening chief, cant see him stepping into the ring in anything other than a glorified exhibition match ever again. guy made a lot of money and had the sense to hold on to most of it. reflexes must be shot to pieces by now, and it was only reflexes that stopped him getting a beating (til barrera). it was great while it lasted but the guy lacked the heart of a champ and should never have left bredan ingle.

Allen_Poe
03-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Prince is my 2nd favorite boxer ever, so I'd love to see him come back, but he's pulled this "ill be back soon!" **** several times, so I won't hold me breath.

Famoso Matador
03-08-2005, 03:52 AM
I dont like Naseem, but yeah he is fun to watch. It was especially fun to see Barrera beat him. I had to say that....
With that out of the way, does anyone know why he quit in the first place? Or was it just a break from boxing that never ended?

RobbieD
03-08-2005, 01:00 PM
I hope he comes back. His name alone is good for the sport.

Crouching Tiger
03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
The old fighting flame within him may have been rekindled because of the fuss and excitement now going on in his former division, and he wants a share of the action (with EM, Pac, MAB and JMM).

But I don't think he can come back. The spirit may be willing but the body may already be weak - from rust or inactivity and weight increase. He'd be dehydrated like **** if he comes back as a feather. And he won't have the same speed and power if he fights as a welter. :boxing:

psychopath
03-08-2005, 08:00 PM
HONESTLY? Nah . . . i don't think so ;)

tommo
03-10-2005, 03:01 AM
hah i don't think so.yes he was the most fun fighter to watch but i heard frank warren say he does'nt think he could ever make even the super featherweight limit again.Hes probably walking around right now at light heavy

Sinatra.Jr
03-11-2005, 07:03 AM
I also watch Naseem's fight.I liked his acrobatic fight styles.

Hudson_Hawk
03-15-2005, 02:08 AM
The guy is bloated, out of condition and no longer competitive. What remains of him is just the name :D so he better not come back anymore. :boxing:

Martin (Top Knowledge)
03-15-2005, 04:28 AM
Hamed could have been a great... But he had a weak character. It takes balls to come back from a defeat like Barrera and Morales have.

puppy_dogg
03-15-2005, 04:33 AM
there's always talk of him coming back but it will more than likely never happen. the prince was great while we had him but he's gone.

Martin (Top Knowledge)
03-15-2005, 11:25 AM
I think a return for Hamed would be a mistake!

manila_assasin
03-15-2005, 02:44 PM
He was probably the most fun fighter to watch. His antics and his un orthodox fighting style made him very exiting to watch. I heard rumors about him fighting some hungarian guy but nothing else since.

Prince naseem just announced his comeback yesteraday!

Arfan1
03-15-2005, 03:59 PM
i still thinks is a lie, becuase he still hiding, but if he comes bak i doubt it he will train here but he shall train in the Middle east

bigbadbri
03-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Naz ain't coming back. We've heard it all before and it's getting boring. Yes he was fun to watch, but it was even better watching Barrera changing his nappy. :boxing:

.::EnRiQuE::.
03-15-2005, 07:31 PM
i personally dont care if he comes back. boxing does need a personality like hamed's right now, but he doesn't offer anything besides that. he's older, slower, and out of shape.

dcgun
03-16-2005, 04:49 AM
rumours have been circling for 2 years now. I was there at his last fight against Calvo and he really stunk the place out. From once being a folk hero he was booed in that fight for 8 rds of the fight. Even though he won the fight, in reality he lost by KO on popularity. He thrived on the british crowd loving him can't rely on that one anymore. He has won over 25m in his career, I can't see him coming back.

Sinatra.Jr
03-17-2005, 04:05 AM
naz coming back is true? I liked his amazing fighting styles.but he hasn't fought after he lost Barrera.That long interval is so vital like
speed star like him.If he can't back what he was,I don't want to see his fight again.

kingmo
03-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I doubt he will fight again, he has been announcing his come back every 6 months for almost 3 years now!! However in his last interview (bbc - olympics) he said he would fight again in the middle east. I wouldn't totally count this out (if he can shed the weight); a couple of easy fights for massive paydays.. he is a hero over there.

Shaolin Bushido
03-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I doubt he will fight again, he has been announcing his come back every 6 months for almost 3 years now!! However in his last interview (bbc - olympics) he said he would fight again in the middle east. I wouldn't totally count this out (if he can shed the weight); a couple of easy fights for massive paydays.. he is a hero over there.Nas is done and much as we hate to let go there's optimism in the fact that somewhere a "nobody" is about to become "somebody" and fire us all up again.

Nas was great but it's time to face the facts. If he did return he's most likely gonna disappoint everyone including himself with his performance.

loangunZ
03-27-2005, 01:04 AM
as was much of his career it's all hype so people wil start talking about him again, he is like the old highschool quarterback that still wants attention. Even if he did coemback he would totaly be outclass unless he just fought b class fighters for the rest of his time in boxing.

korea insincere
03-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Another British fighter who promised so much but ended up disappointing. I can't see him coming back to anything like his best now that so much time has passed. Hope I'm wrong!

typeone
04-03-2005, 11:41 AM
The best thing for Naz to do is stay out the ring unless he is gonna take on barrea!! As anything this guy does for me is fake...You wont to be a great fighter beat the great fighters. Naz have never beat Barrea in month of sundays and he knows it...And so do real boxing fans

gulch
04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
I think we have to face facts - Naz was simply another WBO "protected" fighter. He wouldn't stand a chance against any of todays top feather/super feather weights. What a killing I made at the bookies when Barrera took him apart.

J !
04-04-2005, 09:19 AM
**** will you guys do some research please.

im bored of saying it, he was easliy the dominant feathewrweight of the 90's.

I cant stand him but everyone judges him on his fight with Barerra a prime Naz would have ****ing kicked the **** out of pacquio.

So you go figure. So ignorant at least checkj his record before calling him a protected fighter.....

if protected is ruling the division for five years then i guess he must be protected, jeez some people on here talk some ****.

kingmo
04-04-2005, 01:11 PM
I think we have to face facts - Naz was simply another WBO "protected" fighter. He wouldn't stand a chance against any of todays top feather/super feather weights. What a killing I made at the bookies when Barrera took him apart.

Have you ever seen Naseem Hamed fight?? 15 defenses of his WBO world title, picking up the WBC and IBF titles along the way, and he's "simply another WBO protected fighter". hahahaha your funny. I take it Manuel Medina, Tom Johnson, Kevin Kelly, Cesar Soto and Augie Sanchez are all bums in your opinion than?? Go watch the fights and the way in which he took these fighters apart. Other than the Barrera fight.. what do you base your "facts" upon?

Shaolin Bushido
04-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Have you ever seen Naseem Hamed fight?? 15 defenses of his WBO world title, picking up the WBC and IBF titles along the way, and he's "simply another WBO protected fighter". hahahaha your funny. I take it Manuel Medina, Tom Johnson, Kevin Kelly, Cesar Soto and Augie Sanchez are all bums in your opinion than?? Go watch the fights and the way in which he took these fighters apart. Other than the Barrera fight.. what do you base your "facts" upon?Nas is an all timer. He's done entertaining us though. Unfortunately he couldn't bring it home like he tore down the front stretch.

typeone
04-04-2005, 05:00 PM
J.P.W. and Kingmo Thanks again for your views!! I dont think that anyone was taking anything away from Naz, But the bottom line is that Naz was calling for Berrea from the start, from day one "I want BARREA" this and that..He went the whole 9 yards asking for that fight.. And the point is yes he was a good fighter not great but Barrea and the others are in a diffrent legue to him. And what really pist me off, is that it was plain to see that although Naz was good he never was or never would be good enough for the big boy's. I Knew he was gonna lose that fight. If you guys are Honest then i would have thought you had an idea too.

barryboy
04-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Remember Naz was at ringside when Barrera got beaten by Junior Jones the first time in 1996 & they were talking about making Hamed/Barrera after Barrera 'beat' Jones but Jones messed that one up so I have no doubt Hamed wanted the fight from the start and before their fight in 2001 Naz had been knocking everybody out in the Featherweight divison barring a couple of guys & Barrera was coming up from super bantamweight where he had been hurt & knocked down by McKinney and Jones so surely it wasn't hard to imagine Naz doing something similar!
However I don't like the way he left things, it isn't the way you want to end your career with your home crowd booing you out of the ring & people only remembering you for one loss. Shame.

PopA
04-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeh the way he left was pretty poor and I can't see him coming back anymore. I still loved watching him KTFO of so many guys. :D

PopA
04-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeh the way he left was pretty poor and I can't see him coming back anymore. I still loved watching him KTFO of so many guys. :D Also His Flip into the ring was awesome.

Merly Moreira
04-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Dont You Mean Princess Hamed

kingmo
04-04-2005, 08:01 PM
J.P.W. and Kingmo Thanks again for your views!! I dont think that anyone was taking anything away from Naz, But the bottom line is that Naz was calling for Berrea from the start, from day one "I want BARREA" this and that..He went the whole 9 yards asking for that fight.. And the point is yes he was a good fighter not great but Barrea and the others are in a diffrent legue to him. And what really pist me off, is that it was plain to see that although Naz was good he never was or never would be good enough for the big boy's. I Knew he was gonna lose that fight. If you guys are Honest then i would have thought you had an idea too.

Thankyou for your view! No one said he was GREAT... I never have.. however to call him simply a "WBO protected fighter" like somone on here did, is a joke. And never mind Barrera, Naz was on the slide a number of fights before that. I'm not saying he's a great fighter, but to say he was overrated and protected is just not true.

Naz must have stole your girlfriend or summat Typeone!!! for you to hate him so much!!

typeone
04-05-2005, 05:52 AM
"Naz must have stole your girlfriend or summat Typeone!!! for you to hate him so much!!" I dont dislike the guy at all..He was enjoyable to watch every fight I thought even the one rounders.But for me he mouthed off so much about hes the greatest and how is number one.I Don't want hear all that if you can't back it up. And lets be honest he didn't.As for him stealing my wife! There's some things in life you just don't mess with one's a man food the other is his woman.

I was thinking, That maybe Naz will come back and go for Barrea now, It would make sense. Since they last thought its been what 3 years? Barrea has lost a few since then. Prob not at his best, And Naz kicking back and all MMM could take some advantage if he gets back into shape.. You never know..If he can't beat Barrea at the top get him on the way down?

J !
04-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Naz is morelikley to fight Joe calzaghe these days mate :D , he would never make the weight.

I hated Naz, couldnt stand him but he was and remains the best featherweight of the 1990's. People forget his performances when he was with Ingle. He was a different fighter to the pot shotter that took on MAB.

hitterwitter
04-05-2005, 07:17 AM
typeone who was the the number 1 featherweight in the 90's then?

In the 90's he beat the best featherweights out there.

typeone
04-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Hitter I'm not saying he was not the best featherweight in the 90's. the deal is you get knocked down you get up again not go and hide in shefield somewhere. If he would have had re-match and lost again I would have more respect for the guy! I aint saying I',m right just telling you guy's how I see it...

J !
04-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Hitter I'm not saying he was not the best featherweight in the 90's. the deal is you get knocked down you get up again not go and hide in shefield somewhere. If he would have had re-match and lost again I would have more respect for the guy! I aint saying I',m right just telling you guy's how I see it...

fair comment. ;)

czars_salad
04-05-2005, 10:27 AM
he was probably one of the most arrogant boxer in modern times. can he still make it to the top? i don't think so... ;)

Palma
04-05-2005, 10:41 AM
If he did return at what weight would you guys like to see him compete in? I had heard he was way above the 130 mark.

Gerald
04-06-2005, 05:04 PM
If Naz returns it will be nothing below 135. Reports are that he has blown up big since leaving the ring, which makes sense given how long he's been away. To keep any of his speed and power he's got to get down to 135 at least - even then I question whether he'll be anything other shadow of the figher he was.

Ricomania77
04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
How much has he blown up?
Surely he won't have the punching power he once had when he comes back (whatever that weight might be).

Gerald
04-06-2005, 05:57 PM
How much has he blown up?
Surely he won't have the punching power he once had at 135s

I don't think anyone's got anything concrete - it's just from the few photos people have of Naz now he's effectively retired make him look quite fat.
I agree - no way is he going to carry the same kind of devastating power to 135. Worse for him is that he won't carry the same speed either

Ark
04-06-2005, 06:27 PM
i doubt he'll be coming back but who knows

J !
04-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't think anyone's got anything concrete - it's just from the few photos people have of Naz now he's effectively retired make him look quite fat.
I agree - no way is he going to carry the same kind of devastating power to 135. Worse for him is that he won't carry the same speed either

cobblers he has been at a few boxing functions over the past years and is a little fat bloke. :D

so have we heard anymore about his alleged comeback to fight in june somewhere in Arabia, no, cos he aint coming back cos he aint got the desire nor can he shiift the weight.

Komandos
04-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Hamed come back 2005,sayed Naseem Hamed. . .

Komandos
04-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I want Naseem back

joffo
04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
i have never seen the hamed barerra fight

i have always thought that the right fighter would be able to knock naz out but did barerra dominate him that bad to effectively finish his career? (he didn't lose on KO)

i would like to see him comeback
he wouldnt be as fast at lightweight and after all this time his reflexes wont be as good
i think he would probably have to change his style dramaticly or he wouldnt stand a chance

M26
04-11-2005, 10:59 AM
i have never seen the hamed barerra fight

i have always thought that the right fighter would be able to knock naz out but did barerra dominate him that bad to effectively finish his career? (he didn't lose on KO)

i would like to see him comeback
he wouldnt be as fast at lightweight and after all this time his reflexes wont be as good
i think he would probably have to change his style dramaticly or he wouldnt stand a chance

Good point! If he does come back and still fights the way he used to, he could easily find himself in alot of trouble. He would most likely be slower and his arrogant style would spell disaster. It seems like an awful lot of work has to be done for the prince, so Im guessing he wont be back at all. Maybe that is for the best.

joffo
04-12-2005, 04:52 AM
i think your probably right about that

he would have a hell of a time just getting into shape for it, and then even a short path to a shot at the title will take him at least 2 years

THRILLAinmanila
04-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Hamed will have a tough time against the biggies : MAB,Erik,Pac,JMM. I don't see him beating any of these guys
after that long lay-off

tysonortiz
04-15-2005, 12:02 PM
After a few refresher fight I think he could do some damage. Great power.

JOM'S
04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
like what I said on the other thread, even if its a long shot, I would love to see PAC with another southpaw and with NAZ caliber, it would be something different ...

ArabicPrince
04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
first i would like to say something about naz He was a great fighter and one of the best there was and u heard him for 3 years sayin hes comin bak right guess wat those 3 years hes practicing hes hardest to get bak and i think he will if he really wants to he can and i think he will mess barrera up for revenge the only think that pisses me off that naz talks to much i was readin on yahoo that hes comin bak summer 2005 and hes gonna be fightin in the middle east and i think first hes gonna have a couple of fights warming up and getting in shape then hes gonna go straight to barrera and send him to the floor let me tell u something naz is my favorite boxer and let me tell u this hes coming bak and hes gonna go to the top slowly but he will and barrera is gonna go down and u guys gon change ur mind about naz and hell come bak wit the same style and i think he will be even better now cuz hes practicing hes weaknesses 3 years is a long period of time.

jatt the ripper
04-26-2005, 04:07 PM
the 'prince' aint coming back. he's got the money and the beutiful wife. He lost his love for boxing and as a professional thats one thing you cant aford to lose, in my opionion.

ArabicPrince
04-26-2005, 09:16 PM
and let me ask u something how u know r u the prince my dad knows the guy u gon tell me everytime he calls his house the guy is practicing so wat he practicing for ****in around no hes gon come bak and show u guys that dont know wat tha **** r u talkin about how its done of and im sure he got the style and barrera is going down down down :boxing: :boxing:

xrhythmxnxbluesx
04-27-2005, 03:00 AM
erik or manny and barrera again will handle him...

ArabicPrince
04-27-2005, 04:08 AM
watch im tellin u hes gon come bak and hes gon be the champion and there is no doubt about that

J !
04-28-2005, 06:06 AM
first i would like to say something about naz He was a great fighter and one of the best there was and u heard him for 3 years sayin hes comin bak right guess wat those 3 years hes practicing hes hardest to get bak and i think he will if he really wants to he can and i think he will mess barrera up for revenge the only think that pisses me off that naz talks to much i was readin on yahoo that hes comin bak summer 2005 and hes gonna be fightin in the middle east and i think first hes gonna have a couple of fights warming up and getting in shape then hes gonna go straight to barrera and send him to the floor let me tell u something naz is my favorite boxer and let me tell u this hes coming bak and hes gonna go to the top slowly but he will and barrera is gonna go down and u guys gon change ur mind about naz and hell come bak wit the same style and i think he will be even better now cuz hes practicing hes weaknesses 3 years is a long period of time.

you my friend are talking out of your arsole.

i speak to his ex promoter occasionally he has not been doing anything of the sort..perfecting his weaknesses, what he didnt get neough burgers when he was a kid?

he is a little fat asian guy now who is enjoying life.

he will not be back at world level if at all so stop deluding yourself.