View Full Version : Best heavyweight of the 90's??

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I say it's Holyfield. He is the only one to beat Bowe, Moorer, Mercer, Foreman and Tyson. And did very well against Lewis the second time, when he was past his prime.

Bowe coulda and shoulda been the best, but he threw it away.

mrboxer
09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
its a toss up between holyfield and foreman,i think foreman beat holyfield in their bout but holyfield got the decision,but besides these two the rest are second rate:boxing:

sonnyboyx2
09-10-2009, 12:17 PM
i go with Holyfield

BigMacFoster
09-10-2009, 12:20 PM
He also lost four times during that decade,Him giving a slightly better effort in the rematch doesn't change the fact that he lost

mrboxer
09-10-2009, 12:20 PM
that is a good pick,but did you see the holyfield foreman fight it was a war:boxing:

BigMacFoster
09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I saw a prime Holyfield batter a fat old Geirge foreman,Win all but two rounds realistically and still fail to knock him out despite landing what looked like twenty-twenty five unanswered clean shots.

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I saw a prime Holyfield batter a fat old Geirge foreman,Win all but two rounds realistically and still fail to knock him out despite landing what looked like twenty-twenty five unanswered clean shots.

Hey, Holyfield was a natural cruiser then and Foreman has only been knocked out once as we know-not in the manner that Holy did it. But he silenced the sceptics that said Foreman would knock him out and that he was just a paper champion and beat an overweight Buster Douglas etc. He put on a splendid performance over an aging, but still bearlike and fierce Foreman.

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Here's my top 5 90's list:
Holyfield
Bowe
Lewis
Moorer
McCall

Thats strictly unbiased, facts-based. If I were making a strictly favorite list then ofc Lewis would be gone.;) Tommy Morrison would take his place. Or Ray Mercer. They were both the great unfulfilled potentials.

BigMacFoster
09-10-2009, 02:39 PM
But he silenced the sceptics that said Foreman would knock him out.

Where did you get this from? The only scepticism surrounding Holyfield and this fight was the fact that it involved a 42 year old George foreman,Holyfield was expected to win this fight and nobody gave oreman a chance

All this fight did was give the skeptics who claimed Holyfield was a blown up cruiserweight who didn't have power at this division more ammunition

Holyfield
Bowe
Lewis
Moorer
McCall

Thats strictly unbiased, facts-based. If I were making a strictly favorite list then ofc Lewis would be gone.;) Tommy Morrison would take his place. Or Ray Mercer. They were both the great unfulfilled potentials.

If it were fact based then Lewis would be at the top of that list and McCall wouldn't be on it.

Tyson and even Hide and Akinwande have greater arguments than McCall does

Stoppage
09-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Evander Holyfield.

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Where did you get this from? The only scepticism surrounding Holyfield and this fight was the fact that it involved a 42 year old George foreman,Holyfield was expected to win this fight and nobody gave oreman a chance

All this fight did was give the skeptics who claimed Holyfield was a blown up cruiserweight who didn't have power at this division more ammunition

If it were fact based then Lewis would be at the top of that list and McCall wouldn't be on it.

Tyson and even Hide and Akinwande have greater arguments than McCall does

But they didn't knock Lewis out.;)

Davros?
09-10-2009, 02:48 PM
its a toss up between holyfield and foreman,i think foreman beat holyfield in their bout but holyfield got the decision,but besides these two the rest are second rate:boxing:

Really? Holyfield won almost every round imo.

BigMacFoster
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
But they didn't knock Lewis out.;)

No heavyweight beat Ali as convincingly as Leon Spinks did,Where is Neon Leon's high ranking amongst the best heavyweights of the 1970's?

I don't think he even gets ranked in the top ten of that decade

As for knocking Lewis out,If you ask sonnyboyx2 then Hide would have knocked Lewis out in two rounds had Lewis had the balls to fight him and Akinwande was well on his way to stopping Lewis before the unfair call to DQ him

MANGLER
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Holyfield 4 sho.

- v e t -
09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
riddick bowe was the beast of the 90s... just a little too short lived

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
No heavyweight beat Ali as convincingly as Leon Spinks did,Where is Neon Leon's high ranking amongst the best heavyweights of the 1970's?

I don't think he even gets ranked in the top ten of that decade

As for knocking Lewis out,If you ask sonnyboyx2 then Hide would have knocked Lewis out in two rounds had Lewis had the balls to fight him and Akinwande was well on his way to stopping Lewis before the unfair call to DQ him

McCall didn't just beat Lewis, he beat Maskaev by 1st round KO and also beat Holmes (aged, but still not easy to fight), Seldon, Akinwande (by KTFO) and Francesco Damiani. All accept Holmes by stoppage. Had he stayed away from the drugs I believe he would be nr.1 for a long time. Lewis obviously had problems with his style and speed, even in the 2nd fight for the first couple rounds. He had ko power, speed and great defense.

1SILVA
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I say it's Holyfield. He is the only one to beat Bowe, Moorer, Mercer, Foreman and Tyson. And did very well against Lewis the second time, when he was past his prime.

Bowe coulda and shoulda been the best, but he threw it away.

I have to go with the great Lennox Lewis

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I have to go with the great Lennox Lewis

Lewis achieved his greatest success at the tail end of the 90's, so I dunno...

mrboxer
09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Holyfield
Bowe
Lewis
Moorer
McCall

Thats strictly unbiased, facts-based. If I were making a strictly favorite list then ofc Lewis would be gone.;) Tommy Morrison would take his place. Or Ray Mercer. They were both the great unfulfilled potentials.bowe is not even in my top 100,lewis is not even in my top 50,and moorer,mccall are not even in my top 500:boxing:

BigMacFoster
09-10-2009, 04:03 PM
McCall didn't just beat Lewis, he beat Maskaev by 1st round KO and also beat Holmes (aged, but still not easy to fight), Seldon, Akinwande (by KTFO) and Francesco Damiani. All accept Holmes by stoppage. Had he stayed away from the drugs I believe he would be nr.1 for a long time. Lewis obviously had problems with his style and speed, even in the 2nd fight for the first couple rounds. He had ko power, speed and great defense.

Oliver McCall's fight with Oleg Maskaev was a joke,Maskaev shouldn't have been in the ring with him in the first place and Maskaev was nowhere near the rankings in the first place so the win doesn't mean anything

And he beat Akinwande in 2001,And considering this thread is related to the 1990's no such argument can be made

bowe is not even in my top 100,lewis is not even in my top 50,and moorer,mccall are not even in my top 500:boxing:

Your lists are interesting,Can we see them? Or are they as stale and crusty as your attempts at humor?

Lewis achieved his greatest success at the tail end of the 90's, so I dunno...

Which was the 1990's was it not? And he achieved notable victories and title wins throughout the decade

mrboxer
09-10-2009, 04:06 PM
what are you saying you are confusing yourself:boxing:

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Oliver McCall's fight with Oleg Maskaev was a joke,Maskaev shouldn't have been in the ring with him in the first place and Maskaev was nowhere near the rankings in the first place so the win doesn't mean anything

And he beat Akinwande in 2001,And considering this thread is related to the 1990's no such argument can be made

Which was the 1990's was it not? And he achieved notable victories and title wins throughout the decade

Only a few. His fight with Mercer can't really be called a believable victory. And he didn't fight a prime Holyfield. Or Tyson, but that happened in 2002. He was given the WBC title twice, first by Bowe then by Tyson. He did make many defences the second time, but mainly against second rate opposition. Golota was sedated with lydocaine when Lewis ko'd him. Thats why I don't like or respect Lewis, he was so damn LUCKY!

Lets take a look at the men he fought in his longest title reign. First of all, a mentally wrecked McCall. Then Akinwande, who was disqualified as you already mentioned and managed to put him down in the third round. Lewis did catch him with many good shots however. Then came the aforementioned Golota incident. Then Shannon Briggs. We all know Briggs was nothing but a big puncher. He had very little skill and no defence. And yet he had Lewis in big trouble in the first round, but didn't know how to finish him. Then came Mavrovic, who was on a macrobiotic diet (!) before the bout and fought at his lowest weight. He had a few good rounds in that fight, but was ultimately too weakened to make a real impact on Lewis.

And then the two Holyfield fights, the first one erroneously declared a draw and the second one erroneously declared a Lewis victory. So came Michael Grant, one of the most overhyped fighters ever. Then Botha, better boxer than Grant but too small and with terrible movement. And then Tua, who had a 8 inch height disadvantage but still managed to shake Lewis a couple times.

Tmb04
09-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Thats easy
Real Deal Holyfield

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Btw BigMac, can you explain why you think McCall's fight with Maskaev was a joke? Was it because Maskaev wasn't experienced enough?

mrboxer
09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
or was it because it just should not have happened in the first place:boxing:

Infern0
09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
1. Holyfield
2. Lewis
3. I dunno, danny williams

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
or was it because it just should not have happened in the first place:boxing:

Who asked you? The failed student. Biff Loman of boxingscene.

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
1. Holyfield
2. Lewis
3. I dunno, danny williams

Whew...I'm relieved. And surprised. Thought u were gonna put Lewis first for sure.

mrboxer
09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Who asked you? The failed student. Biff Loman of boxingscene.a few members and guest emailed me and asked:boxing:

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 06:46 PM
a few members and guest emailed me and asked:boxing:

Ahem. Thats alright then.

mrboxer
09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
i am glad:boxing:

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
i am glad:boxing:

:boxing::FlagCanad You arent Canadian by any chance? I just loove this flag!

RightCross94
09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Definitely Holyfield.

Infern0
09-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Nah man i have big time respect for Holyfield

Benncollinsaad
09-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Nah man i have big time respect for Holyfield

As should anybody.:)

Ziggy Stardust
09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Evander Holyfield

Poet

Danster0507
09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
It's a toss up between Holyfield and Lewis for me, Holyfield's opposition was better although I think Lewis dominated more as well as beating Holyfield himself. It's a tricky one for me.

Benncollinsaad
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
It's a toss up between Holyfield and Lewis for me, Holyfield's opposition was better although I think Lewis dominated more as well as beating Holyfield himself. It's a tricky one for me.

Well, Lewis was a larger man and a more natural heavyweight. And he had a bigger punch. But Holyfield beat more HOF names while they were still in their prime, or not far past it.