View Full Version : Sven Ottke - A true legend?

BigMacFoster
09-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I was about to post this as a response in another thread,but just like my Marvin Hagler question

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300533

I felt this question really needed a thread of it's own.

Sven Ottke was a decorated amatuer fighter -

Amateur Record: 256-47-5
East Germany Middleweight Champion (1985-1989)
German National Middleweight Champion (1990-1991, 1995-1996)
German National Light Heavyweight Champion (1992-1993)
Three time Olympian

Holds wins over Antonio Tarver, Chris Byrd, Michael Moorer, Zsolt Erdei and Juan Carlos Gomez - All future champions.

Most importantly he was a success as a professional boxer -

Proessional Record: 34-0-0
IBF Super Middleweight Champion (1998-2004)
WBA Super Middleweight Champion(2003-2004)

Retired on top of his game.

In a sport where men are criticised for continuing on with their hopeless careers,A level headed individual who doesn't crave to see the sight of another broken down,broken up fighter may say Ottke should be saluted for leaving when he did,that he simply had nothing more to prove to the fans and the boxing world.

21 successful title defences - nine more than Marvin Hagler would make,Just four less than Joe Louis would make(Louis had a far longer pro career)

So in a fair and unbiased,non-xenophobic kind of way,Please do rate this champions legacy

BEEHOP
09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
He is right up there with Sugar Ray Robinson and Ali.

Sick/
09-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Sven "The Joke" Ottke

Benncollinsaad
09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Is he east german too?? Damn, all the best German boxers are from East Germany! Maske, Schulz, Schmelling and Ottke.

JAB5239
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
21 successful title defences - nine more than Marvin Hagler would make,Just four less than Joe Louis would make(Louis had a far longer pro career)

So in a fair and unbiased,non-xenophobic kind of way,Please do rate this champions legacy

A garbage thread by a garbage poster. Ottke was a titlist, Hagler and Louis were the champions in their respective divisions. If you don't know the difference you're a bigger moron than we all previously thought.

End thread.

Whats next, Joe Mesi was the greatest heavyweight since Marciano?

catalinul
09-09-2009, 08:27 PM
A garbage thread by a garbage poster. Ottke was a titlist, Hagler and Louis were the champions in their respective divisions. If you don't know the difference you're a bigger moron than we all previously thought.

End thread.

Whats next, Joe Mesi was the greatest heavyweight since Marciano?

Agreed.

Words cannot describe how garbage Ottke was.

JAB5239
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Agreed.

Words cannot describe how garbage Ottke was.

Ottke did what he had to do and wasn't that bad. But to compare him to Hagler and Louis? I've been to the zoo before and have seen retarded chimps with more common sense.

catalinul
09-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Ottke did what he had to do and wasn't that bad. But to compare him to Hagler and Louis? I've been to the zoo before and have seen retarded chimps with more common sense.

Again agreed.It hurts me on the inside when I have to say Ottke was skilled.

But the corrut business puts a black eye on his career and boxing in Germany anyway.

JAB5239
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Again agreed.It hurts me on the inside when I have to say Ottke was skilled.

But the corrut business puts a black eye on his career and boxing in Germany anyway.

Very true!

Piggu
09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Ottke was ****.

BEEHOP
09-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Ottke was the ****.

fixed .

Infern0
09-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Ottke was pretty much the G.O.A.T imo

Shadows
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
When you take all the great fighters from 160-175 over the past twenty years, compile a list, and rate them--it's pretty clear who is at the top.

Sven ****in Ottke.

VintageBoxing_1
09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
There is no taking away Ottke's amature's accomplishments, in the amatures he defeated the likes of Michael Moorer, Juan Carlos Gomez, Chris Byrd, Antonio Tarver, Zsolt Erdei, Steven Bendall, Timur Ibragimov, and Thomas Ulrich. Went to 3 Olympic Games games (88, 92, 96). And won a Bronze Medal for Germany at the 1989 World Championships.

He turned Pro at a late age. He won the IBF Title after only 12 fights. Alot of very capable fighters were brought over to fight him, including the likes of Glen Johnson, Robin Reid, Silvio Branco, Anthony Mundine, Rudy Markussen, Byron Mitchell, David Starie, and Mads Larsen.

Altough 85% of his wins are deemed with controversy, although he did hold some legit wins over the likes of a green Anthony Mundine, and Gabriel Hernandez. But hardly great wins by no means

His wins over the likes of Robin Reid, Glen Johnson, Charles Brewer, Bryon Mitchell, and others were deemded gift decisions or terrible scores.

Reid was treated terrible and denied a victory, Reid was denied a legitimate knockdown when the bizarre Tillerman declared it a slip by Ottke and was then deducted a point for use of his head when Ottke was clearly more at fault.

I find it hard to call him a Legend and even dare mention him alongside the likes of Louis and Hagler. He made 21 defences of a title and every single defence was in Germany and 85% of them were gifts decisions. He never made no attempt to fight out of Germany either.

Here's some quotes from Robin Reid after the fight..........
"You don't expect any favours fighting in Germany but at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people," fumed Reid afterwards.

"You expect no favours in Germany, but it is making a mockery of world title fights when all he has to do is survive to the end of the 12 rounds. It's beyond a joke and it is doing boxing a lot of harm."

There is no point in a rematch unless they hold it in England and have my mum and my two best mates as judges - and even then I wouldn't be certain of getting the verdict!" said 32-year-old Reid.

"I have been in with Henry Wharton and Joe Calzaghe and Ottke wasn't a patch on either of them.

"But now I can see why he has had 20 defences. He is a bit cagey but if you look at scoring blows, you would have to say I won the fight.

"I was deducted points for illegal use of the head, but what about his illegal use of the shoulder and his constant whingeing? He hit me more with his shoulder than he did with his hands."

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
I only watched him once and hated him from then on.:D His style was IMMENSELY dull and cowardly. His pitty pat hitting technique. He was fighting a young and exciting fighter called Rudy Markussen who bust him up pretty good in the first round. But thanks to his chin, Ottke endured that beating and tortured him and the rest of us watching with his awkwardness for another 11 rounds.:rolleyes:

The worst thing is when a boxer is dull, but has the chin to endure and go twelwe rounds. Then its a torture to watch the match. And the other boxer is not experienced enough to figure him out. I hate that. Its like watching a boring and really long chess match!

BigMacFoster
09-10-2009, 03:35 PM

End thread.

Spoken like a true xenophobe,Where is it you are from again? North Carolina? Have you people learned to wash yet?

Anyways,Try another argument,Ottke defended his title twenty one times,That is a champion,Not a titlist

Did he or did he not defend his title more times than Marvin Hagler?

He also defended his title on average four times a year,Did Hagler ever manage that many title defences a year?

He retired undefeated,Did Hagler retire undefeated,Or did lose to a washed up inactive blown up welterweight?

BigMacFoster
09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I've been to the zoo before and have seen retarded chimps with more common sense.

Is that were your sister works now?

Benncollinsaad
09-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Spoken like a true xenophobe,Where is it you are from again? North Carolina? Have you people learned to wash yet?

Anyways,Try another argument,Ottke defended his title twenty one times,That is a champion,Not a titlist

Did he or did he not defend his title more times than Marvin Hagler?

He also defended his title on average four times a year,Did Hagler ever manage that many title defences a year?

He retired undefeated,Did Hagler retire undefeated,Or did lose to a washed up inactive blown up welterweight?

But he never held more than one title at a time. He never tried to unify, after that many defenses...isn't that peculiar? Calzaghe unified before he reached 20.

BEEHOP
09-11-2009, 01:36 AM
But he never held more than one title at a time. He never tried to unify, after that many defenses...isn't that peculiar? Calzaghe unified before he reached 20.
Calzaghe's a bum who ducked the GREAT Sven Ottke, everyone knows that. Once he saw what Sven did to Mundine, he wanted no part. :boxing:

BigMacFoster
09-11-2009, 02:11 AM
That short right that knocked Mundine the f*ck out would have knocked anybody out,That's for sure.

Quite possibly the most devestating knockout ever seen in boxing.And the best part is,Sven Ottke didn't need HBO to produce their crappy little 24/7 to build up to that knockout like Pacquiao did

JAB5239
09-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Is that were your sister works now?

:haha: Is this really your best shot? Your best comeback? A sister joke, are you kidding? Lmao.......your boxing knowledge sucks and so far your repertoire of jokes is right on par with that......poor you.

Bright-Eyes
09-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Is the whole corrupt judging with Ottke overblown or a legitimate criticism? I've never watched Ottke fight only what I've heard of him and it usually isn't praise worthy.

Why does everyone hate this guy?

HeartAttack
09-11-2009, 04:54 AM
Is the whole corrupt judging with Ottke overblown or a legitimate criticism? I've never watched Ottke fight only what I've heard of him and it usually isn't praise worthy.

Why does everyone hate this guy? www.boxen.com and hit the videos and archives and you can catch some of his "highlights". Ottke was a good fighter, think Cory Spinks minus the power. No that's not a typo. Problem with Ottke is that he and Calzaghe were the top two dogs in the division and they never squared off. Hence why Ottke was a titlist but never a champion. He also was given some absolute gift decisions. I'm talking Joel Casamayor-Jose Armando Santa Cruz type ripoffs. Robin Reid and Glen Johnson were travesties. His one-punch KO of Anthony Mundine stands as his lone career highlight and greatest victory. Also it is unequivocally the lowest point in Mundine's career. Ottke was a good fighter, but he was beaten in the ring several times in his career only to have the judges do what he couldn't.

Benncollinsaad
09-11-2009, 06:47 AM
That short right that knocked Mundine the f*ck out would have knocked anybody out,That's for sure.

Quite possibly the most devestating knockout ever seen in boxing.And the best part is,Sven Ottke didn't need HBO to produce their crappy little 24/7 to build up to that knockout like Pacquiao did

You forgetting Mundine was making him look silly before that lucky shot. I don't exactly like Mundine as a person but after I saw him fighting Kessler and a few others I gained respect for his boxing skills.

Kut
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
The funniest Thread I ever read in 3 years of general boxing-forumactivity.