View Full Version : Sparring without headgear

Casparrr
09-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Hey guy's

so here is the problem(not really)
At my gym we spar and train without headgear. That shouldn't be a real problem as long as people could control themselves, but obviously there are some people that can't. It's really ****ty cause sometimes i have to spar against guy's that outweigh me by 40 pounds and i leave training with a headache and a nauseous feeling. Should i just buy my own headgear and use it?

greetings.

ceibant
09-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah man...you should, just to be safe. You wouldn't want anything to happen to you during training. At my gym, we all use headgear and groin protectors. I'm about 205 pounds and I've sparred guy's that weigh 140...160...And don't let people call you a wuss or whatever for protecting yourself. When people at your gym start dying by brain hemorrhages, you'll be having the last laugh, lol.

Casparrr
09-07-2009, 03:55 PM
haha well, i dont want to be on the receiving end of one wtf.

RightHooker
09-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Pretty stupid to spar without headgear, especially if you're an amateur. You have to fight with it on, so why not get used to it? Depending on the exact model of headgear you wear, it effects how you can hold your gloves to your gym, how you can tuck your chin into your shoulder etc. No sense training without it and then putting it on for an amateur bout and feeling uncomfortable because you aren't used to it.

Then there's the obvious safety things like cuts and concussions.

Casparrr
09-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Nobody in my gym uses it actually, i think its kinda stupid but i don't have any other options besides traveling to a gym thats 30~km away. And i don't have a car yet:(

MonkeyEarMuffs
09-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, that is really silly. I am surprised your trainers even consider that okay in the slightest. As a boxer you already have a shorter than average shelf life, there is no reason whatsoever to further decrease that by compounding the amount of damage you take while training.

I understand that it is both more comfortable and financially more beneficial to not use headgear, but it is a bad decision and will ultimately hurt your ability to box at an amateur level and increase the potential for head trauma, cuts, broken noses, detached retinas, Etc.

Think about your future and the well being of your body man. You have to live in that thing.

Get some f*cking headgear.

Alexandros
09-09-2009, 01:07 PM
yeah thats what i thought too thats why i love headgear but some guys i know don't like headgear coz they not comfortable in it.

rskumm21
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
That is really irresponsible of the trainers and gym owner. What's the name of your gym and where?

mrboxer
09-09-2009, 03:05 PM
at your gym you do not need head gear[why]does everyone there hits like a flea:arabia:

Talon
09-11-2009, 06:01 AM
i too would like the name of the gym so i can prank call them mufuggas

"you dont f*cking use headgear? did your momma drop you on your head as a baby?"

RightCross94
09-11-2009, 07:28 AM
thats pretty stupid they dont spar with headgears. You fight with it on, why not spar in it?

RightCross94
09-11-2009, 07:34 AM
And as for sparring the bigger guy, move laterally, side to side, rapidly change directions. Keep your chin tucked and hands up, pick your attacks, change directions and then attack as he tries to reset himself. Don't let him line you up. Stay off the ropes, but if you find yourself there, quickly fake moving one way and then move out the other, or try the check hook or ducking under his hooks and stepping out if you are experienced enough and know how.

Sorry for the long post, but i spar and fight reguarly with bigger stronger guys, I pretty much got fighting them downpat lol

#1Assassin
09-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Yeah, that is really silly. I am surprised your trainers even consider that okay in the slightest. As a boxer you already have a shorter than average shelf life, there is no reason whatsoever to further decrease that by compounding the amount of damage you take while training.

I understand that it is both more comfortable and financially more beneficial to not use headgear, but it is a bad decision and will ultimately hurt your ability to box at an amateur level and increase the potential for head trauma, cuts, broken noses, detached retinas, Etc.

Think about your future and the well being of your body man. You have to live in that thing.

Get some f*cking headgear.

headgear doesnt decrease the chance of headtrauma at all. brain damage is from the whiplash effect when u get hit, and putting padding around your head doesnt take that away. its scientificly proven headgear doesnt prevent braindamage. few if any headguards protect your eyes, and the nose protecters cant be worn when fighting so why use them in training? when u take stiff jabs in a fight it wil bother you much more since you arent used to it.

for the same reason you should use headgear though, so dont get me wrong. like someone said you do get uncomftorable if youre not used to it. i personally only spar without headgear if im in against a much bigger guy. its much easier to spin of punches and prevent head trauma. it works too, with headgear i take much more impact then without. i find it smart to avoid taking clean shots from big guys, but other than that i use headgear so i dont get uncomftorable when fighting.

mrboxer
09-11-2009, 10:42 AM
And as for sparring the bigger guy, move laterally, side to side, rapidly change directions. Keep your chin tucked and hands up, pick your attacks, change directions and then attack as he tries to reset himself. Don't let him line you up. Stay off the ropes, but if you find yourself there, quickly fake moving one way and then move out the other, or try the check hook or ducking under his hooks and stepping out if you are experienced enough and know how.

Sorry for the long post, but i spar and fight reguarly with bigger stronger guys, I pretty much got fighting them downpat lolthis strategy only works on tv,i saw rocky doing these same moves against drago,first of all a bigger guy will mangle you with out a head gear,if you do not have a head gear at least were a hockey helmet,when fighting a bigger guy use you jab always do not miss a beat,slip and move,slip and move,you will be able to this for about 30 seconds then the big guy will knock you into oblivion:boxing:

RightHooker
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
headgear doesnt decrease the chance of headtrauma at all.
It doesn't prevent head trauma, but you're crazy if you think it doesn't reduce the risk (perhaps you've taken too many shots to the head yourself hmm...).

The more padding you have around your head/brain the more force can be absorbed instead of being transfered to your skull.

There's no reason for amateur boxers to be sparring without headgear.

mrboxer
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
i agree:boxing:

Nick Fury
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I've actually sparred quite a bit without headgear. We take it easy though. We don't go in there with a kill mentallity, so it's not really a big deal.

mrboxer
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
I've actually sparred quite a bit without headgear. We take it easy though. We don't go in there with a kill mentallity, so it's not really a big deal.ya but who are you are you a flyweight that hits like a flea:boxing:

Nick Fury
09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
ya but who are you are you a flyweight that hits like a flea:boxing:

Yeah I hit like a flea...a SUPER flea!!!

Nick Fury
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
And when I do spar without headgear instead of making a fist in the glove I'll open my hands instead. i don't think it's a big if you do it right.

mrboxer
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah I hit like a flea...a SUPER flea!!!you are a super flea so you do not have any power to hurt any one thus you do not need any head gear:boxing:

mrboxer
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
A[U]nd when I do spar without headgear instead of making a fist in the glove I'll open my hands instead. i don't think it's a big if you do it right.that is what amateurs usually do,are you intersted in learning how to punch properly and be a boxer or are you just fly swatting:boxing:

Nick Fury
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Purely fly swatting.

HughJass
09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
mr boxer what weight are you?:boxing:

oniham
09-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Just spring the money for some headgear, sparring without it seems pretty dumb IMO

RightCross94
09-11-2009, 10:54 PM
this strategy only works on tv,i saw rocky doing these same moves against drago,first of all a bigger guy will mangle you with out a head gear,if you do not have a head gear at least were a hockey helmet,when fighting a bigger guy use you jab always do not miss a beat,slip and move,slip and move,you will be able to this for about 30 seconds then the big guy will knock you into oblivion:boxing:

:wtf1: If you box properly against a larger guy, theres no reason why you can't hang in there and do well. Especially if they arent as skilled as you.

JoHnNyBoXeR
09-11-2009, 11:33 PM
lemme guess this gym you go to that no one spars with headgear is a MMA/boxing gym

mrboxer
09-12-2009, 09:37 AM
:wtf1: If you box properly against a larger guy, theres no reason why you can't hang in there and do well. Especially if they arent as skilled as you.what is the use of sparring with someone if they are not as good as you,what are you going to learn,how are you going to get better,when i spar i want someone who is bigger but just as good and as fast as me,this way i can work on my slipping and moving,work body shots all the necessary tactics,so when i fight someone my own weight i will feel a lot stronger:boxing:

drh
09-14-2009, 02:22 AM
wear the headgear. might save you from damage if you clash heads, or from breaking your hand on someones skull.