View Full Version : When doing Chin ups is using weights very effetcive?

Spray_resistant
09-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I really want to maximize my chin up routine and I am wondering if incorporating ankle weights and other weights on my person is really that beneficial. Right now I start off with a 1st set of 12reps, 2nd set of 11reps, 3rd set/w 10lb ankle weights on of 10reps, 4th set with the 10lb ankle weights and 2.5lb plates in the pockets of 8 reps, and 5th with no weights of whatever I can do after that which is usually 8 reps.

Would it be better if I didn't use weights and increased the reps or keep trying to add on more weight as time goes on?

Left2body
09-07-2009, 12:22 AM
I use to use weight's for my bar work and for my dips. The reason for me being was that at a certain point of working out you know your body and when your muscles get a good workout or pump.

At a certain point I use to get winded before actually feeling the pump when I just upped my reps. So I used a belt that has a chain to which you attach a plate (most gyms have these). I use to put just enough weight so that I would feel the workout with 12-15 reps.

I would use more weight with my dips than my bar work though.

Hanoncs
09-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Depends on what weight class for big guys no but for small guys maybe(After they can do 100 pretty easy). Remember big muscles slow you down

Phenomkidd
09-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Depends on what weight class for big guys no but for small guys maybe(After they can do 100 pretty easy). Remember big muscles slow you down

Stop posting BS you know nothing about. You can train for strength rather than size.

Spartacus Sully
09-07-2009, 09:47 AM
well if you want to try more variety it would improve your routine.
say
10 wide grip
10 close grip

10 staggered with your left
10 staggered with your right
if you have a pull up bar hang a towel over it. grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other then switch up.

10 pull ups let go with one hand and slowly drop
10 let go with the other
make sure you can touch the bar and the ground at the same time
you can try this with the staggered pull ups letting go of the towel and dropping

10 hanging serratus crunches
6 weighted hanging serratus crunches
get a wide grip and do like a crunch to the left and a crunch to the right while your hanging their. try to keep your shoulders flexed

10 wide
10 close

if your going to do normal pull ups weighted i would reccomend that you hang for say 10 seconds with weights on shoulders flexed, allways try to keep your shoulders flexed its better for the form and its better for your shoulders,do a pull up as explosively as possiable then take 5 seconds to drop rest stretch now hang for 15 seconds keep increasing it by 5 till you hit 30 then drop back to hanging for 10 or 5 even. after that i would do a few non weighted wide/narrow grip.

Spray_resistant
09-07-2009, 05:03 PM
well if you want to try more variety it would improve your routine.
say
10 wide grip
10 close grip

10 staggered with your left
10 staggered with your right
if you have a pull up bar hang a towel over it. grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other then switch up.

10 pull ups let go with one hand and slowly drop
10 let go with the other
make sure you can touch the bar and the ground at the same time
you can try this with the staggered pull ups letting go of the towel and dropping

10 hanging serratus crunches
6 weighted hanging serratus crunches
get a wide grip and do like a crunch to the left and a crunch to the right while your hanging their. try to keep your shoulders flexed

10 wide
10 close

if your going to do normal pull ups weighted i would reccomend that you hang for say 10 seconds with weights on shoulders flexed, allways try to keep your shoulders flexed its better for the form and its better for your shoulders,do a pull up as explosively as possiable then take 5 seconds to drop rest stretch now hang for 15 seconds keep increasing it by 5 till you hit 30 then drop back to hanging for 10 or 5 even. after that i would do a few non weighted wide/narrow grip.

Thanks for the advice, hadn't thought about redistributing my weight to one side or another. Green K sent.

Hanoncs
09-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Stop posting BS you know nothing about. You can train for strength rather than size.

So where the **** is your advice? Your probably a couch boxer. Have fun getting your slow ass countered. :thanks:

Equilibrium
09-09-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't know man, i'm 230 and i think thats heavy enough, i do 4 series of 8.

But if you're a smaller guy you could probably do it.

Spartacus Sully
09-09-2009, 08:06 AM
So where the **** is your advice? Your probably a couch boxer. Have fun getting your slow ass countered. :thanks:

Big muscles dont mean slow muscles.......spongey muscles are slow muscles. and your size dosnt matter its how you incorporate the weights into your work out that gives you certain results

Hanoncs
09-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Exactly like I said big guys don't need more weight

sammiza567
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Exactly like I said big guys don't need more weight

there is no shame in not being well informed about strength and conditioning but please dont go around giving out false info.

Phenomkidd
09-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Lol nice you made a complete fool of yourself. Shawn Crawford*sp, american sprinter jacked as ****. Most sprinters, well built. Plenty of boxers are well built, Floyd is very fast and well built :bottle:. Your dumbass seems to believe that muscle gained from pushups are 1000x better than from lifting. Couch boxer, hardly, I'm more active then you probably will ever be. Boxing, Cross Country, Track and Field (sprinting and long jump), Football, Basketball, other martial arts, not even mentioning what I do for recreational purposes. I can tell you right now from your narrow minded view of weightlifting you don't know **** about it and you are spreading false information. Go run a Google or search or look it up on THIS board. Just because your in an old mindset and are too stupid to get with whats going on doesn't mean you know about lifting.

Have fun getting ****ed up by a guy with better technique and better strength. Lol @ your ass being technically even with a guy and you losing because he had more power/strength.

Spray_resistant
09-09-2009, 10:58 PM

180-185 but when in the boxing gym I keep myself at the low 170s so i could compete at 165.....not really looking to put on mass here just increase my overall power.

TheNegation
09-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Get your ****ing head out of the gutter and get with the times. You can lift heavy weight and be strong without being "muscular"

And you can be well built and still be fast, explosive and strong

Don't spread ignorance

Here is Georges St. Pierre doing a set 3 Pull-Ups w/ 90lbs attached and 110lbs DB Presses.

And you tell me if the guy is slow when he fights
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPDVEWWP4KU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPDVEWWP4KU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Spray_resistant
09-10-2009, 03:55 AM
Get your ****ing head out of the gutter and get with the times. You can lift heavy weight and be strong without being "muscular"

And you can be well built and still be fast, explosive and strong

Don't spread ignorance

Here is Georges St. Pierre doing a set 3 Pull-Ups w/ 90lbs attached and 110lbs DB Presses.

And you tell me if the guy is slow when he fights
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPDVEWWP4KU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPDVEWWP4KU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GSP= beast 110lb DB press is plenty for his size, we are the same size and I can only do 85lb DB press.

Steak
09-11-2009, 07:38 PM
lol ah dammit, Im only a little behind St Pierre. I can do 3 chins ups with 80lbs on my back(before the bag I was using ripped, ha) and 100 lb dumbbells about 4 times.

ah well, Ill get there eventually, right? Im lighter than him anyway...although that would probably make the chin ups easier, come to think of it...

TheNegation
09-11-2009, 07:42 PM
lol ah dammit, Im only a little behind St Pierre. I can do 3 chins ups with 80lbs on my back(before the bag I was using ripped, ha) and 100 lb dumbbells about 4 times.

ah well, Ill get there eventually, right? Im lighter than him anyway...although that would probably make the chin ups easier, come to think of it...

Good ****, man. I won't hazard to guess he's doing a lot more than that now, that video was before his 3rd fight with Hughes.

Either way 80lbs chins are nothing to scoff at.

Steak
09-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Good ****, man. I won't hazard to guess he's doing a lot more than that now, that video was before his 3rd fight with Hughes.

Either way 80lbs chins are nothing to scoff at.

come to think of it, I might have seen a training video of Yuriorkis Gamboa doing chin ups with 70lbs attatched, or something like that, I dont know. It was around that range.

anyone who has seen his fights would not say hes slow at all.

so I would agree with you, although doing just the heavy lifts would probably catch up to you if you dont do any explosiveish type of workouts as well.

Ive always liked a lot of variety, and it seems to work out ok for me, so I just stick with it. Im pretty strong for my size, 150lbish, so Im happy.

Phenomkidd
09-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Heavy lifts are for strength and explosiveness. So you building power and explosivness when you're going heavy as well.

TheNegation
09-11-2009, 08:02 PM
come to think of it, I might have seen a training video of Yuriorkis Gamboa doing chin ups with 70lbs attatched, or something like that, I dont know. It was around that range.

anyone who has seen his fights would not say hes slow at all.

so I would agree with you, although doing just the heavy lifts would probably catch up to you if you dont do any explosiveish type of workouts as well.

Ive always liked a lot of variety, and it seems to work out ok for me, so I just stick with it. Im pretty strong for my size, 150lbish, so Im happy.

Gamboa is tiny. That's amazing for his weight if true.

I agree. Too much of one thing is never a good thing (strength) in this case.

537Bwouaye
09-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Gamboa is tiny. That's amazing for his weight if true.

I agree. Too much of one thing is never a good thing (strength) in this case.

Yup it's true... and it wasn't even 70lb, it was 90lb!!! He had two plates attached...

So yeah, keep raising your weights, you'll just have a stronger back and you'll throw stronger hooks.