View Full Version : Paul Briggs

Benncollinsaad
09-06-2009, 03:03 PM
If you ask me which particular boxer I'd like to see make a comeback, then my answer would be: PAUL BRIGGS! He was probably the most exciting fighter of the 21st century. And the best Australian fighter, as far as I'm concerned. He beat Stipe Drews, a man with a very awkward and tough to beat style. And not just that, he kicked his arse! He is the only one to knock down Drews three times and I am not sure wether he has ever been knocked down in any other fights.

Then he had those two fights with Adamek, which Lampley called the best 24 rounds of the year or something like that. He was a diehard warrior and a no-quitter. You gotta appreciate such a fighter. I'd really LOVE to see him fight again. As I understand, he has had a tough life and had become a criminal at some point after his career as kickboxer ended. That was before he turned to boxing. Incredible fellow. He has even written a book about it.

catalinul
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I really enjoyed watching him fight but he ain't coming back.

He still trains but only to keep in shape,saw him in a article a few months ago.Looks good but he ain't comin back.

Benncollinsaad
09-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I really enjoyed watching him fight but he ain't coming back.

He still trains but only to keep in shape,saw him in a article a few months ago.Looks good but he ain't comin back.

Never say never!;)

catalinul
09-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Never say never!;)

He said it not me.

He said and I quote:''I tried and failed.I always wanted to be the best and I saw that I ain't so it's better if I stop.I can't obtain my goal so I will never be satisfied with mysellf.It's better I stop.''

Benncollinsaad
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
He said it not me.

He said and I quote:''I tried and failed.I always wanted to be the best and I saw that I ain't so it's better if I stop.I can't obtain my goal so I will never be satisfied with mysellf.It's better I stop.''

This guy is intense.:lol1: He's taking it all too seriously. He only really lost once and that was in the start of his career! Those two Adamek fights, the first one was a draw and the other one shoulda been a Briggs victory.

Benncollinsaad
09-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Last I heard several months ago was Briggs hintin a return and a drop down to 168. But he later rescinded. I ain't seen any of his fights but the 2 Adamek ones, but that was enuf for me to say it's a shame he retired. The Briggs I saw in those 2 fights could mos def grab some belts at 168 or 175 right now.

Definitely and without a shadow of a doubt! Today's 175 div looks pretty mellow. To use that word,hehe.

Greatwhitehope
09-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure he had some problems with his nervous system or something? Couldn't train for an extended period of time or something.

It's ashame, if only something could've struck Mundine and/or Green down instead, that way Australia would speak about Katsidis and Briggs when boxing came up. Instead the Mundine/Green circus continues.

Benncollinsaad
09-07-2009, 06:48 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure he had some problems with his nervous system or something? Couldn't train for an extended period of time or something.

It's ashame, if only something could've struck Mundine and/or Green down instead, that way Australia would speak about Katsidis and Briggs when boxing came up. Instead the Mundine/Green circus continues.

Who's Katsidis?? Never heard of the man. But I know what you mean.

- v e t -
09-07-2009, 06:49 AM
all i saw of briggs was his two Adamek fights... and they were hella fights, great ****...

but if you dont got it anymore, no sense puttin yourself at risk... its for him to decide

- v e t -
09-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Who's Katsidis?? Never heard of the man. But I know what you mean.

michael katsidis...

action packed guy... his fight with Amonsot on the hopkins v winky undercard was great!

had two losses more recently to Casamayor and Juan Diaz, but has since rebounded... last i saw him fight was on the Lightweight Lightning card i think and he won that one for sure

Benncollinsaad
09-07-2009, 08:21 AM
You know Paul's brother Nathan is a heavyweight? Thats odd, they are twins (altho clearly not identical ones,lol) and Nathan is 6'4 while Paul is only 5'11! But both are very strong, no doubt. And Paul is a better fighter.

Benncollinsaad
09-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Take a look at this! It's his ko of Glen Kelly, who at the time had only been defeated by Roy Jones, in 7 rounds. This happened in the 4th. Tell me he doesn't deserve to be called Australian Tyson!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO6O3lJfzls&feature=related

mgkirkpatrick
09-07-2009, 09:14 AM
If you ask me which particular boxer I'd like to see make a comeback, then my answer would be: PAUL BRIGGS! He was probably the most exciting fighter of the 21st century. And the best Australian fighter, as far as I'm concerned. He beat Stipe Drews, a man with a very awkward and tough to beat style. And not just that, he kicked his arse! He is the only one to knock down Drews three times and I am not sure wether he has ever been knocked down in any other fights.

Then he had those two fights with Adamek, which Lampley called the best 24 rounds of the year or something like that. He was a diehard warrior and a no-quitter. You gotta appreciate such a fighter. I'd really LOVE to see him fight again. As I understand, he has had a tough life and had become a criminal at some point after his career as kickboxer ended. That was before he turned to boxing. Incredible fellow. He has even written a book about it.

first up i recommend reading his autobiography. best non fiction book i've ever read. amazing story. pro kick boxer at 14.. won an australia wide hardman comp at 16, world kick boxing champ at 19.. spent a decade as a standover man/drug dealer/ drug addict/dj.. then came back and fought for the boxing world title twice.. definitely did enough to win the second one and arguably the second against adamek that dirty juicer.

This is right.. he started on a come back last year.. was looking the goods hitting pads and getting fit.. but when it came time to start sparring again he wasn't reacting.. they did some tests and apparently his nervous system is shot..

You know Paul's brother Nathan is a heavyweight? Thats odd, they are twins (altho clearly not identical ones,lol) and Nathan is 6'4 while Paul is only 5'11! But both are very strong, no doubt. And Paul is a better fighter.

Nathan is HUGE. Paul reckons he'd have made a devastating rugby league player.. but his old man wouldnt let him go that way. looked pretty good when paul was training him.. quite a good skill set for a big guy.. but not much of a chin.

Benncollinsaad
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I'll look for his autobiography, but I doubt I'll find it here. I didn't know he was trained by Jack Mosley, Shane's father.