View Full Version : where can i learn more about Tysons' peak a boo style?

Gio
03-05-2005, 01:19 AM
I want to learn more of Tysons peak a boo style. i tried it today and it seemed very affective. I mostly did lot of head and body movement.

I was wondering what else is envolved with this style. Help me out guys.

Im a short guy too, 5'9, so i think this style can really work for me.

thanks

BOKSukraine
03-05-2005, 03:58 AM
You shouldn't try to be exactly like him because it probably won't work for you. Just take the effective basics such as head movement, hands kept up, and double/triple jabs to get inside, and THEN WORK.

buff_mike10
03-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Best thing you can do is just watch videos of Floyd Patterson and Mike Tyson. Watch and learn

zip
03-05-2005, 12:26 PM
hands up all the time never let them down. When tyson was learning the guard he bite the thumbs of the gloves to keep them up. always head movement so you can slip punches and counter.

I use peek a boo too btw and it's really good for us shorties.

Mr.Talent
03-05-2005, 04:06 PM
yea i use the peek a boo style 2...just keep ur hands held up at all times, use alotta head movement, bend ur knees a little so u can duck out of punches easy if u need to and work on a good strong jab so u can stun the person enough for u 2 get inside quicker...try 2 develop urself a good side-side rythm.

lordfaust
03-05-2005, 04:21 PM
hum, little question: in centimeters, what is 5,9? i'm french and we use cm, that's why i don't know what size i am (172 cm) but i also use peek-a-boo, and it's quite effective if you like to step in, mostly against tall opponents...

Gio
03-05-2005, 07:58 PM
hum, little question: in centimeters, what is 5,9? i'm french and we use cm, that's why i don't know what size i am (172 cm) but i also use peek-a-boo, and it's quite effective if you like to step in, mostly against tall opponents...

5'9 is about 179.8 cm :boxing:

Sara
03-05-2005, 08:12 PM
What makes this style particularly effective for short fighters? Allows them to get in closer with less risk?

Mr.Talent
03-05-2005, 08:24 PM
yea...the shorter the fighter the easier it is for him/her 2 get in and start 2 work...they can duck punches easier...and i guess its harder a target 2 hit since u gotta throw the punches a little lower than normal

czars_salad
03-05-2005, 10:01 PM
What makes this style particularly effective for short fighters? Allows them to get in closer with less risk?
he should have a very strong formidable defense (peak-a-boo) otherwise, it's all useless. I wonder who else is doing this style...

Slipx
03-06-2005, 08:28 PM
only bad thing about peek a boo is 75% of the people who use it effectively gas out in 2 rounds

Mr.Talent
03-06-2005, 10:53 PM
only bad thing about peek a boo is 75% of the people who use it effectively gas out in 2 rounds

well, that's only becuz those people don't have enough stamina

Gio
03-07-2005, 12:13 AM

:lol1: So true.

Pugnacious_Z
03-07-2005, 03:58 AM
5ft 9 is 175.2cm. not 179.8cm like one of youse suggested. and its not really for ppl dat short, tysons 5ft 11.5, dats 181.6cm which is taller then average. he might look small compared to lewis whos 6ft 5. and sum ppl say theyve seen him and hes 5ft 9, dats bull****, i seen him so he can sign my autograph, and i asked him how tall are u and he said around 6ft and i stood next to him and he stood tall, hes 5ft 11.5 4 sure, coz he usually walks with abit of slant

buff_mike10
03-07-2005, 11:30 AM
5ft 9 is 175.2cm. not 179.8cm like one of youse suggested. and its not really for ppl dat short, tysons 5ft 11.5, dats 181.6cm which is taller then average. he might look small compared to lewis whos 6ft 5. and sum ppl say theyve seen him and hes 5ft 9, dats bull****, i seen him so he can sign my autograph, and i asked him how tall are u and he said around 6ft and i stood next to him and he stood tall, hes 5ft 11.5 4 sure, coz he usually walks with abit of slant
Thats good to know, i've always wondered exactly how tall he was. Like you said alot of people say he is 5'9''. I always thought he looked taller than that. My uncle has a picture of Tyson standing beside Sylvester Stallone, makes Sly look like a Welterweight.

Gio
03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
what are some effective combo's with this style?
I know theres alot of hooks involved and some uppercuts.

Gio
03-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Mystyal i kno u got some combos down.

Heckler
03-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Tysons style is hard to execute. Watch someone like roberto duran, he is very effective... possibly a better fighter to mimic unless you are pretty gifted.

Verstyle
03-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Mystyal i kno u got some combos down.

why yes i do. :D hmmmmmm theres the jab then straight to the left hook the the hooking right, there the left hook then the right hook the body then the left hook to the head,there the right hook to the body then the uppercut right after(better in south paw stance to execute)theres the jab then right the followed by another jab(must have a pretty hard jab to execute)theres the jab then the right hook then to the right upper cut,theres the left hook to the body followed by the right hook,there the right hook to the body followed by the left hook to the body follwed by the left hook,left jab followed by the left uppercut follwed by the right uppercut. there ya go :)

JDizzle79
03-08-2006, 07:58 AM
you can see his peek a boo style from the fights he got knocked the **** out in against Douglas, Holyfield, Lewis, Williams, McBride <<HAHAHAH...McBride :D that style proved really effective

Verstyle
03-08-2006, 02:55 PM
you can see his peek a boo style from the fights he got knocked the **** out in against Douglas, Holyfield, Lewis, Williams, McBride <<HAHAHAH...McBride :D that style proved really effective

its really effective when he really didnt do the style gio is talkin about. every1 knows he's talkin about the 80s tyson. he really didnt do it in the 90s.so if u knew ne thing about boxing or tyson u would have known after 88 he was a different boxer ;)

Southpaw Stinger
03-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Doesn't Tyson wear lifters?

ferocity
03-08-2006, 09:22 PM
You guys remember Larry Barnes? He used the Tyson style too, but he didn't have the power, but it did lead him to a title shot. He fought simlar to Tyson. Check out his fight with Felix Trinidad and you'll see what I mean, but in that fight you also see a priime Trinidad slowly take apart Barnes.

Trying to immulate a boxers style, is ok as long as you understand to complimint that style to your own style, within Tysons or other style. Cause you wont be able to get away with moves Tyson got away with, and you may be able to get away withh some moves that Tyson coudln't get away with.

If you want to get some insight to Tyson and his trainer Cus Da'matos pick up the book by Jose Tores. I remember that book had a lot of good info.

Verstyle
03-08-2006, 09:40 PM
You guys remember Larry Barnes? He used the Tyson style too, but he didn't have the power, but it did lead him to a title shot. He fought simlar to Tyson. Check out his fight with Felix Trinidad and you'll see what I mean, but in that fight you also see a priime Trinidad slowly take apart Barnes.

Trying to immulate a boxers style, is ok as long as you understand to complimint that style to your own style, within Tysons or other style. Cause you wont be able to get away with moves Tyson got away with, and you may be able to get away withh some moves that Tyson coudln't get away with.

If you want to get some insight to Tyson and his trainer Cus Da'matos pick up the book by Jose Tores. I remember that book had a lot of good info.

the funny thing is that i can get away with everything tyson did going to south paw and fighting. squaring up and fighting, doing lynging hooks like he did. but i tend to do alittle bit different like if the guys trying to run to his right i'll switch to south paw and pop him. i got power if both hands i jus dont know which 1 is better. but u r correct about the tyson style not being for every1. but since i have short arms and compact i said oh **** it :D

moondog0
03-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Mystyal, you almost always know what you are talking about. The early tyson is the film you want to watch, I taped every fight he had when he was young and the young Tyson could knock out the old Tyson in three rounds!! There is no comparison as Mystyal has said.....

Verstyle
03-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Mystyal, you almost always know what you are talking about. The early tyson is the film you want to watch, I taped every fight he had when he was young and the young Tyson could knock out the old Tyson in three rounds!! There is no comparison as Mystyal has said.....

thats all i watch is his 85-88 fights and also the two ruddock fighs cause he actually used combos