View Full Version : Advise please

Pretty Boy32
09-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Got good news this week,
my younger brother signed for a professional soccer team here in ireland and is also playing for our national team too! :)

His Manager tho has asked him to try bulk up and put on some weight as he is a right winger and needs to be bigger without losing his pace and speed (which is his main asset,)
He needs to stay nimble and quick,
im not sure exactly what weight he is and i dunno how much they want him to put on?

He came to me asking for advise on the matter,
he trains three days a week (two for his club and one for his country,
and one match a weekend for his club and the odd international match every weeks.)
So he does alot of cardio,
I had him down the gym the other and he was struggling lifting weights,
10kg dumbells where the highest he could go and he was swore the next day and it effected his training that evening....

I was thinking gettin him on some lean muscle mass builder,
and i know the key to getting big is eating alot as my friends have all bulked up doing so but have lost whatever pace they had with it!

What you guys think??

Rastamouse
09-05-2009, 10:06 AM
As you said eating more is the best way, but eating the right stuff (lean meats, wholegrains etc).
Whey protien is a good way of supplimenting a diet for gaining mass and drinking it straight after a work out is ideal because it can be processed and used by the body quicker.
Also the weights dont have to be too heavy just lift what you can!
Low reps and heavy weights. So say 5 sets of 8 reps (with 2 minutes rest between sets) at the highest weight you can lift.

Aslong as he continues to do his speed traning i cant see a reson why he cant stay quick, look at the size of some sprinters!

Rastamouse
09-05-2009, 10:10 AM
When I say highest weight I mean the most you can lift to get through the whole routine but be fatigued on the last rep.

RightCross94
09-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I would try and check out the weight regimens and diets of some top 100m sprinters....many of them are well muscled but still fast as hell.

Hanoncs
09-06-2009, 04:57 AM
He plays for his club and national squad? Then why doesn't he ask the trainers? World Cup teams have some of the best trainers in the world. I would not have him lift weights, Just make him do Body weight work outs, Sit ups, Push ups Pull ups, Get an ab wheel. And I don't mean 5 sets of 10, I'm talking about 7 sets of 50 pushups. When he can do those kinds of numbers get a weighs vest(40LBS) Basically don't let him move to weighs as soon as he can do ok numbers. Body weight will bulk you up nice and good. I would leave the supplements upto the trainers.

Spartacus Sully
09-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Id say go with protein shakes for alittle while while doing lots of weighted crunches or the cable crunch machine and lower back exercises. like 3 to 1 ratio.

I would also reccomend finding a local track maybe at a school. have him sprint laps or some kind of sprint training their.