View Full Version : advice needed please - jogging then sprints

mrbigshot
09-03-2009, 06:04 AM
hi i am jogging 4 kilos, trying to lose a bit of weight but i heard if you incorporate sprints at the end then it pumps your heart rate up

quick list of what should i do

sprint up a gradient or should i just do sprinting on a flat surface
should i do sprint before i after my jog

any help would be cool

YoungJab
09-03-2009, 07:28 AM
hi i am jogging 4 kilos, trying to lose a bit of weight but i heard if you incorporate sprints at the end then it pumps your heart rate up

quick list of what should i do

sprint up a gradient or should i just do sprinting on a flat surface
should i do sprint before i after my jog

any help would be cool

after run, is ok

tkos
09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
after your jog is ideal. also remember to work on your breathing to work on your recovery time.

mrboxer
09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
when you finish your jog breathe through your nose with deep breathes,this will calm you down and give you a feeling of a complete good workout ala yoga:boxing:

Joachim
09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
if you get better at running you could incorporate sprints into your jogging

mrboxer
09-03-2009, 03:30 PM
jogging is for endurance and sprints is for speed,so see what you want to do,and have a good pair of running shoes and always wear sweat socks:boxing:

Joachim
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
ew?? sweat socks?

mrboxer
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
they will give your feet comfort and protect your ankles from taking a pounding on the running suface:boxing:

RightHooker
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Mix it up one day jog, one day sprints. Or do sprints and jogging in the same day. Go along a stretch of road that has telephone poles all along it. Jog to the first pole, the sprint to the next, then jog then sprint...til you puke.

Hanoncs
09-04-2009, 04:07 AM
I would do them on separate days, Jog one day then do Intervals once you recovered, You should not be able to do iintervals after jogging, If you can, then you need to jog further or faster. Buy a subscription to Runners World Magazine it has great stuff

RightHooker
09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Today I did:

Jog 5 laps of a small soccer field to warm up. I'm not sure the exact length around it, but it's smaller than a regulation track. Maybe 250-300 meters?

Stretch

Start at one goal line, and sprint the length of the field (75 yards?) then jog back, and repeat 9 more times.

Tomorrow I will jog 4.5 miles.

Mix it up. I was way more tired after the sprints which only took a couple minutes than I will be after the jog which will take longer, but they both have their benefits.

mrbigshot
09-04-2009, 04:48 PM
cheers for the advice

the sprints are really tiring i noticed that!!!!!