View Full Version : Amir Khan

barryboy
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
IT SEEMS KHAN BELIEVES THE HYPE

Amir Khan is set to leave amateur boxing with less goodwill than he might have expected after his exploits at the Olympics. But it's his own fault.

Last week he pulled out of the ABA Championships on the grounds that he had not been given enough tickets for his entourage.

There is now talk that he will quit the amateur ranks to join Frank Warren's pro stable and strike for glory from there.

He has already reportedly spoken of winning a world title by the age of 21 and retiring as a legend by 25.

His father justified his withdrawal from the ABA's by stating there was nothing for the 18-year-old to prove at the championship.

Really? Khan's senior light-welterweight debut saw him given a bloody nose and dumped on his backside by a journeyman opponent.

He has talent, of that there is no doubt, but he does not have enough experience and my guess is he could pay a price if he moves to the pro ranks too soon.

In his short career so far, hehas had to temporarily move up a division, a worrying sign casting doubt on whether he has the iron discipline every boxing champion needs to put himself through gruelling training schedules.

Had he entered the ABA championships he might have come unstuck and damaged his worth to professional promoters like Warren.

He just seems to be becoming too big for his tasselled boots.

And when that happens in boxing, there's trouble ahead.

"He has already reportedly spoken of winning a world title by the age of 21 and retiring as a legend by 25"

Sounds like something Naz would have said.

J !
03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
exactly and did you see him on superstars? IUm gonna break the record then came last.

i dont like the little **** already.

Kevin mitchell will eat him alive. :cool:

delaboxeo
03-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Something about him reminds me of Prince Naseem.

J !
03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
exaclty and look waht a waste the end of his career became.
i dont like the way khan is shaping up at all.
arroganyt and he has done nothing yet compared to others and he seems to think all he has to do to win a world belt is turn up.
he will find out alright. :boxing:

barryboy
03-03-2005, 12:33 PM
exactly and did you see him on superstars? IUm gonna break the record then came last.

i dont like the little **** already.

Kevin mitchell will eat him alive. :cool:

My mates saw him on it and said he done **** :rolleyes: :D
I saw Frank saying a good match down the road would be Mitchell/Khan but that really would be down the road coz Khan's a lot bigger is he not? anyway he got put on his arse by that youngster and he was really rocking when he got hit, quite a bad knockdown then struggled with another guy so I think he could be in for a big shock in the pro game.

markosg19
03-03-2005, 12:39 PM
In khan's defence, the ABA offered him a massive salary to stay amatuer and yet only offered him 10 tickets for his next aba fight. He is supposed to be the poster boy of the amateurs. They should have met his ticket expectations becasue having him as an amatuer is very good for the current miserble amatuer scene.

With regards to his comments, DelaHoya said something similar and not only was it not true, but hehas had an OK (!) career. He is still just a kid and nowhere near arrogant as Naz.

He is much more talented than naz if you put his olympic effort into context!

markosg19
03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
And that superstars thing is bull****! Lennox was on the US superstars and did crap in 2000, yet he was the best heavyweight in the world by a mile. Boxers generally done do well on superstars.

barryboy
03-03-2005, 01:20 PM
I heard McGuigan was on it as well but I don't know how he got on, the stuff that I saw when Lewis was on it was loads of weights, squats etc. and sprints so I wouldn't expect a heavyweight boxer to beat an NFL player in a sprint coz they don't concentrate on those type of things so I don't think it means anything really just a laugh.

Lol999
03-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Khan was reportedly offered £70k per year to stay amateur, this in itself contravenes the true status of amateur. He should have been bloody grateful to get that money and just kept his head down, there's a long time ahead for glory if he turns out as good as he believes. As the ABA show promoter put it" this is about 22 lads, not the Amir Khan show"

Lol

barryboy
03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah Khan, his dad and manager or whoever he was even managed to get a press conference they were having about this matter broadcast live on sky news :rolleyes: ain't that important is it?

delroy02
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't think Khan is arrogant at all, in the interviews ive seen him in, he seems like an ok down to earth bloke.

The bad thing with Khan at the moment is too many people are trying to dictate his career. I think he should stay in the amateuers until after the world championships and then turn pro.

J !
03-04-2005, 11:45 AM
if kahn was trhat ****ing bothered he could have paid the 20 quid entrance fee out of his ****ing grant.
cheeky little c*nt. :bottle:

Cletus Funk
03-04-2005, 01:45 PM
if kahn was trhat ****ing bothered he could have paid the 20 quid entrance fee out of his ****ing grant.
cheeky little c*nt. :bottle:

I'm with you mate. I'm starting to dislike the ****y little ****er but you never know, it could be his family/friends being dicks behind the scene.

elveiel
03-04-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm with you mate. I'm starting to dislike the ****y little ****er but you never know, it could be his family/friends being dicks behind the scene.

These guys win a gold medal and think there supreme boxers, Harrison was exactly the same.

I dont understand the Naz thing too, the only thing Naz and Kahn have in common is their skin colour!!

I think Kahn has talent, he's overated at the moment but could do things in the pro's if he keep his floating feet on the ground long enough.

Cletus Funk
03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
These guys win a gold medal and think there supreme boxers, Harrison was exactly the same.

I dont understand the Naz thing too, the only thing Naz and Kahn have in common is their skin colour!!

I think Kahn has talent, he's overated at the moment but could do things in the pro's if he keep his floating feet on the ground long enough.

I couldn't stand it if he turned out to be another Harrison, I hate that bloke.

He could/should do well mate coz he does have alot of talent but I'd be surprised if he turned out to be anywhere near as good as Naz was at his best.

delaboxeo
03-06-2005, 12:49 PM
arroganyt and he has done nothing yet compared to others and he seems to think all he has to do to win a world belt is turn up.
he will find out alright. :boxing:

Hey, take it easy on Prince Naseem -- i loved watching him fight bc he was such a ****ey bastard.

Now, does boxing need another naseem -- of course not. I just hope that Khan learns to develop his own gimmick.

barryboy
03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Here's the latest on Khan:

Warren deal ends Khan speculation
By Ron Lewis

AMIR KHAN has settled any continuing arguments over his future by signing an agreement to turn professional with Frank Warren, The Times can reveal. However, Khan, the Olympic silver medal-winner, may have time for one last hurrah as an amateur by facing Mario Kindelán, his Athens conqueror.

After winning the lightweight silver medal at last summer’s Games, the chances of Khan resisting the lure of the professional game for four years to go to Beijing in 2008 always seemed slim. After the shock of seeing Khan dropped on his backside against Craig Watson in the opening round of the ABA Championships, a trip to China for the World Championships this year and next year’s Commonwealth Games in Melbourne have now also been excluded.

The deal with Warren, which could see Khan earn £500,000 in his first year, was verbally agreed ten days ago, at the time Khan was withdrawn from his ABA Championships quarterfinal against Johnny Martin in Norfolk, saying that he had not been given enough tickets.

Since then the contracts have been with Khan’s lawyer, who approved them at the end of last week. The deal is unlikely to be announced until next month, though, when Khan will have his next and final amateur bout on April 16 at the Reebok Stadium, Bolton, which will be a fundraising event for his club, Bury ABC.

Khan’s withdrawal from the ABAs quickly became a public relations disaster for him and his close group of family and advisers. In their haste to find an exit route, not only was the ticket row exposed as a farce but comments were made against hard-working and unpaid ABA officials that bordered on the disgraceful.

Keen to avoid any more controversy, the family has asked Warren to help to promote the Bolton show, where Khan could have faced Kindelán, the 34-year-old Cuban double Olympic and triple world champion. Khan will not box in the Four Nations versus Cuba international match in Liverpool on April 8.

Kindelán retired after his Athens success, then decided to continue. He has a sister living in Carlisle and is keen to visit England. He has offered to face Khan at either lightweight or light-welterweight — where Khan boxed in the ABA Championships — and has also offered his services to the ABA to coach youngsters here.

Clinton Woods, the new IBF light-heavyweight champion, is unlikely to rush into a defence against Joe Calzaghe, the WBO super-middleweight champion. Woods produced a brilliant display to stop Rico Hoye, of the United States, in five rounds for the vacant title in Rotherham on Friday night.

“I think it’s just about sunk in now,” Woods said yesterday. “My dream would be a match with Glen Johnson (who outpointed him last year) or Bernard Hopkins, if he is moving up to lightheavyweight. I signed to face Joe eight months ago, but two weeks into training camp they pulled out.

“I’m a fan of Joe. I love the way he fights, but he hasn’t been operating at a high enough level. If he is as good as Frank Warren says, he should have gone to the US and taken his chances there by now.”

adeelr
03-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Something about him reminds me of Prince Naseem.
Is it the fact that he is brown and from U.K

barryboy
03-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Nah mate it was when he said he'd be world champion by 21 and retire a legend by 25, if that doesn't sound like Naz then I don't know what does :D Can't speak for anybody else but it was just that one comment that reminded me of Naz, not saying his whole personality or anything :cool:

Lol999
03-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Listening to the commentators Richie Woodall et al after the haye/Kelly fight Khan is after a farewell hurrah in Bolton but has absolutely no intention of facing his Athens conqueror again, even at the Bolton event which has been offered. This smacks of fear, defeatism, call it what you will. The guy should accept the challenge and if he's as good as he says turn it round this time. If he's running scared in the amateurs what's he gonna do in the pro's when he gets called out?

Lol :D

butatista
03-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Now hes signed with Frank you non-believers are gonna look reeeeeeeeeeal dumb when Amir fulfils the prophecy and, by age 21, becomes the Universally Recognized, Linear, Undisputed and Undefeated WBU Champion Of The World!!!

kapersky
03-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Now hes signed with Frank you non-believers are gonna look reeeeeeeeeeal dumb when Amir fulfils the prophecy and, by age 21, becomes the Universally Recognized, Linear, Undisputed and Undefeated WBU Champion Of The World!!!

lol caps ;)

Arfan
03-10-2005, 05:11 PM
amir khan is a good boxer, needs to get experience though, i think he should stay amatuer and get experience there, but i think he dont want to go 2008 olypics becuase his brother haroon may go?

Silverfox
03-10-2005, 07:43 PM
He's not worth feeding. He'll fight like an amateur always! One good crack from the men and he's gone.....KO!

phallus
03-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Here's the latest on Khan:

Warren deal ends Khan speculation
By Ron Lewis

AMIR KHAN has settled any continuing arguments over his future by signing an agreement to turn professional with Frank Warren, The Times can reveal. However, Khan, the Olympic silver medal-winner, may have time for one last hurrah as an amateur by facing Mario Kindelán, his Athens conqueror.

After winning the lightweight silver medal at last summer’s Games, the chances of Khan resisting the lure of the professional game for four years to go to Beijing in 2008 always seemed slim. After the shock of seeing Khan dropped on his backside against Craig Watson in the opening round of the ABA Championships, a trip to China for the World Championships this year and next year’s Commonwealth Games in Melbourne have now also been excluded.

The deal with Warren, which could see Khan earn £500,000 in his first year, was verbally agreed ten days ago, at the time Khan was withdrawn from his ABA Championships quarterfinal against Johnny Martin in Norfolk, saying that he had not been given enough tickets.

Since then the contracts have been with Khan’s lawyer, who approved them at the end of last week. The deal is unlikely to be announced until next month, though, when Khan will have his next and final amateur bout on April 16 at the Reebok Stadium, Bolton, which will be a fundraising event for his club, Bury ABC.

Khan’s withdrawal from the ABAs quickly became a public relations disaster for him and his close group of family and advisers. In their haste to find an exit route, not only was the ticket row exposed as a farce but comments were made against hard-working and unpaid ABA officials that bordered on the disgraceful.

Keen to avoid any more controversy, the family has asked Warren to help to promote the Bolton show, where Khan could have faced Kindelán, the 34-year-old Cuban double Olympic and triple world champion. Khan will not box in the Four Nations versus Cuba international match in Liverpool on April 8.

Kindelán retired after his Athens success, then decided to continue. He has a sister living in Carlisle and is keen to visit England. He has offered to face Khan at either lightweight or light-welterweight — where Khan boxed in the ABA Championships — and has also offered his services to the ABA to coach youngsters here.

this is bad, Khan should stay amatuer until after the 2008 Olympics. what the **** does an 18 year old kid need with more than 70,000 year???? he needs to gain more experience as an amateur, win a gold medal at the 2008 games to match his silver from athens and then turn pro at around 135 - 140 at the age of 22. giving this kid a ****load of money now is a bad idea, he's gonna stop training and start wasting his time partyying with hollywood sluts and waste his potential

Sinatra.Jr
03-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Amir Khan is so talented boxer. But "He has already reportedly spoken of winning a world title by the age of 21 and retiring as a legend by 25"
is doutful in this stage.

barryboy
03-14-2005, 07:16 AM
KHAN SET FOR 'AMATEUR SWANSONG' AGAINST KINDELAN

Amir Khan is set to end his amateur career next month against the man who denied him Olympic gold.

Khan is hopeful of landing a rematch against Cuban Mario Kindelan in his last amateur fight, which has been confirmed for April 16 at the Reebok Stadium.

The 18-year-old will soon sign professional terms with Frank Warren - who will promote the show in conjunction with Bury Amateur Boxing Club.

Kindelan - who has reversed a decision to retire after the Athens Games - has indicated he will be part of a Cuban team to meet a Four Nations line-up in Liverpool on April 8.

And Warren hopes to persuade the Amateur Boxing Association to sanction Kindelan staying on to face Khan for a second time.

Warren told PA Sport: "Amir wants to give something back to his team-mates and the aim is to raise as much money as possible for his club.

"It will be Amir's swansong as an amateur and he has specifically asked to fight Kindelan again.

"There could be no better opponent and I am working hard to lobby the ABA to help make this great match happen."

Khan would be leaving the amateur game on a bit of a sour note if Kindelan kicked his arse wouldn't he!

MlLkMan
03-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Never seen him fight, anyone got any videos?

RUDDY
03-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Khan should stay amature for another year so his body can develop more. At the moment he doesn't have the strength or power to turn pro. He should also rematch Craig Watson the lad who put him on his backside, and prove to everyone that is was just an off night for him.

jeffmills
03-23-2005, 06:22 AM
He does seem to be acting like some kind of primadonna.

Pulling out of the championships because he was only given 10 tickets?

That's just hissy IMO.

And his dad is in the news saying "they don't respect us enough". blah blah.

smokeyjackson
04-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Amir is a good lad and isn`t up his own arse at all, i think he is getting some bad advice, he train`s at my gym in Bolton, you can`t blame the lad for turning pro, you got to make your money while you can in this game, he needs a lot of training before he can make an impact in the paid ranks though, and he needs to sort his diet out

J !
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
there is a growing theory that Amir is far too influenced by his family hence the bad press. If this is the case then going pro may be a good thing as the powoer will be taken away form thoise who perhaps have started to believe the hype.

amir DID get cuaght up in it for a while though and needs to keep a level head.

The alleged prima donna behaviour will get spanked out of him otherwise.

smokeyjackson
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
he is influenced a lot by his family, it reminds me of Hamed a little how his family had a big say in his career, but Amir is a good lad and i cant see Frank Warren letting Amir`s family mess up his career, i`ve watched him on the mitt`s in training and his hand speed is unbeleivable and he has a dig on him as well

J !
04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
we will find out, personally i dont think he is gonna make the big splash in the pro's thats being made out.

tho i would love to be proved wrong, personally i think Kevin mitchell will go much further in world terms.

smokeyjackson
04-19-2005, 11:53 AM
not seen much of Kevin Mitchell so i cant`t comment heard good things though

Shaolin Bushido
04-19-2005, 11:58 AM
he will find out alright. :boxing:I want to take this moment to point out that Naseem Hamed has had more success at featherweight than any other in the past 30 years including the ones currently campaigning. It's all there if you look at his record.

Not the most popular but he accomplished a lot while he was fighting.

smokeyjackson
04-19-2005, 12:11 PM
yes he did he was a good fighter, i wouldnt like to fight him he was a tricky little bugger

J !
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
feaky im just having this discussio on aonther thread.

6 years unbeaten with a world title if Amir can do that he will be a great yes.

prbolem with naz is everyone remembers his performance against MAB, not the better years that came b4 it when he was with Ingle.