View Full Version : Now I know why the EA curse, totally skipped Hopkins...Something to stir the pot.

spinksjinx
03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Video game and Boxing related, I know its in the arcade forum but this fits.

Usually the cover star of an EA game is stricken with negatives in their athletic career. I assumed Hopkins would have suffered due to Eastman. But after seeing this, I totally realize it now...This is where the real deal curse will kick in....Check out whos on the cover.

http://images.play.com/covers/556435m.jpg

Ricky Hatton.... :p

Gattz187
03-03-2005, 09:48 PM
thats for the uk version right

spinksjinx
03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
thats for the uk version right

Indeed it is.

PacME
03-04-2005, 12:48 AM
thats crazy they put hatton instead of hopkins just beacuse it for uk!!!!

RwK
03-04-2005, 01:31 AM
I dread the day:

"Joe Calzage" is on the cover of the welsh version of Fight Night. :rolleyes:

xrhythmxnxbluesx
03-04-2005, 01:42 AM
and pacquiao is on the philippines cover... har har...

julDilla
03-04-2005, 05:23 AM

are you serious?

spinksjinx
03-04-2005, 06:54 AM
are you serious?

No, but it wouldnt be a bad idea. Im sure Hopkins is hated by the brits, it is a good idea for EA to put top stars of their country on the cover.

PacME
03-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Are you serious xrhythmxnxbluesx.......if u are thats sick with it!!!!! :boxing:

OliverNo1
03-04-2005, 01:03 PM
No, but it wouldnt be a bad idea. Im sure Hopkins is hated by the brits, it is a good idea for EA to put top stars of their country on the cover.

Nard aint hated by the us brits mate - he is admired. The fact that i wouldnt pay good money to watch him dont mean that i hate on him.

Great Champion Yes - Great Entertainer NO..........

And before i get flamed im not a fan of SRL type "entertainment" either - just balls out warrior's such as the Hitman, MMH, etc etc.

spinksjinx
03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Nard aint hated by the us brits mate - he is admired. The fact that i wouldnt pay good money to watch him dont mean that i hate on him.

Great Champion Yes - Great Entertainer NO..........

And before i get flamed im not a fan of SRL type "entertainment" either - just balls out warrior's such as the Hitman, MMH, etc etc.

Noone will flame you, I didnt think Hopkins was a favorite in any country including his own. Usually countries turn sour on him once they destroy one of their guys.

You guys do own Eastman right? :)

Boxhead2012
03-10-2005, 10:21 PM
The curse hasn't skipped Hopkins yet...He could still fight before the next installment comes out.

joeboxer
03-10-2005, 10:32 PM
the curse is bull****. Michael Vick has been on the box and he had maybe his best year last year.
Carmelo is on the box for basketball and he is doing fantastic.

Besides Roy Jones who even suffered from the ea curse?

spinksjinx
03-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Woods has been done pretty ****ty, I could say De la hoya suffered by the first knockout kings by getting robbed against tito. Mosley/DLH was on 2001 and boy did their careers suck after that.....Roy got it worst, Hatton hasnt had anything to lose anyhow. Woods went down the ****hole but his career is a rollercoaster, his worst day is someones greatest days....The curse is fun to speculate.

joeboxer
03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
The corolations are just weak. There are a lot weirder connections out there. Like the team that loses the coin flip has won the superbowl every time except two. And the two times that the rule broke were against the Oakland Raiders.

motiv
03-13-2005, 12:05 AM
the curse is bull****. Michael Vick has been on the box and he had maybe his best year last year.

If anyone watches hockey (I'm from Canada, we love it), every person on the cover of the EA NHL series has gotten hit by the curse.

joeboxer
03-13-2005, 12:21 AM
If anyone watches hockey (I'm from Canada, we love it), every person on the cover of the EA NHL series has gotten hit by the curse.

I would say no one watches hockey right now. That means pretty much every player in the league got hit with the curse this year. hahahahhahahah

Arfan1
03-19-2005, 06:21 AM
that aint rite man

Ranger2408
03-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Joeboxer, Lewis fell Victim to the curse too, Remember Rahman Knocking him senseless?

+= El Jefe=+
03-24-2005, 11:32 PM

ok when Vick was in the cover in 2004 he broke his leg
this year's cover was ray lewis.
when Coulpeper was in the cover he got record int's
when Fault was in the cover he got injured.
its been alot of them.
i dont really believe it but idk
its more than one.

masterdirector
05-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Hopkins hasn't fought since Fight Night Round 2 was released. Remember, the game came out after Hopkins' last fight. Who is to say the EA coverboy curse won't get both Hopkins and Hatton?

Though I mean Tszyu is overly favored against Hatton, so is it really the EA curse if Hatton loses? I don't think so. Which yeah, there really is no curse, just coincidence, but yeah.

spinksjinx
05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Hopkins hasn't fought since Fight Night Round 2 was released. Remember, the game came out after Hopkins' last fight. Who is to say the EA coverboy curse won't get both Hopkins and Hatton?

Though I mean Tszyu is overly favored against Hatton, so is it really the EA curse if Hatton loses? I don't think so. Which yeah, there really is no curse, just coincidence, but yeah.

Hatton gets KTFO

Bernard receives a beating from the quicker Jermain.

:)

EXIGE
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
the fact ricky is on front is marketin. Its not any statement against hopkins its just to relate to the people more. More buyers and all that ****e

cornerman
05-27-2005, 10:09 AM
To be honest id be surprised if many non boxing fans will have even heard of Bernard Hopkins in the UK (posibly a few due to his fight against Eastman, but he is hardly well know either). Where as a lot more will have heard of Hatton especially since he is fighting Kosta soon. It just makes more sense to put Hatton on the front as they look to a wider market for the game. I don't belive in that kind of stuff but the idea of the curse is quite interseting and there appears to be quite a few occasions where it has happened, perhaps no one will want to be on the front of the box next year.

Manny_P
05-28-2005, 09:34 PM

he totally was not foo!

Fight Night 2 hint EXCLUSIVES:

When you playin a friend two playa at yo house, yo apartment whereva, wheneva, you should try to grab that shiznite 2 playa controlla. Why? Becuz when it comes to decision o fights, the judge #1 ALWAYS is biased and fava the 2nd playa. ALWAYS. The 2 otha judges are OK. ]

Any you guys notice this o what's poppin?!

joeboxer
05-28-2005, 09:39 PM
he totally was not foo!

Fight Night 2 hint EXCLUSIVES:

When you playin a friend two playa at yo house, yo apartment whereva, wheneva, you should try to grab that shiznite 2 playa controlla. Why? Becuz when it comes to decision o fights, the judge #1 ALWAYS is biased and fava the 2nd playa. ALWAYS. The 2 otha judges are OK. ]

Any you guys notice this o what's poppin?!

you fight the whole 12 rounds???

My fights go 2-4.

Manny_P
05-28-2005, 09:44 PM

My fights go 2-4.

yea. LOL,. I always try to make it very competitive. I had this crazy streak befo ova my 2 brothas............ 2 MONTHS undefeated, playin everyday too! I aint even frontin man.

boxstarr
05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
that explains why exig3 beat me when it went to points at lightweight

but at heavyweight.....he got KTFO'd in round 1 :D

im obviously far better

also at middleweighti beat him in mid rounds

the judges in boxing games always annoy me though as i win every round and lose on points sometimes. thats why i choose the most powerful boxers with the strongest chin like marciano and win with ease

boxstarr
05-30-2005, 04:24 PM
as for the curse.... im not so sure. the fifa series has various footballers appear and their careers continue to prosper.

dennis bergkamp was on the cover in 97 and hes still playing now dammit..he should have retired years ago

jack_the_rippuh
06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
My fighter is like 50 years old now, still undefeated.

He's just a shadow of his old self, but I'm still knocking *****es out.

TheBrownBomber22
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
My fighter is like 50 years old now, still undefeated.

He's just a shadow of his old self, but I'm still knocking *****es out.

Yep me too. :boxing:

Memorex
06-09-2005, 07:34 PM

My fights go 2-4.
LOL I GO 12 ROUNDS WITH RUNNERS SOMETIMES I WOULD CATCH THEM IN THE 11TH OR 12TH BUT IF I DONT I ALWAYS PULL OUT A DECISION :D

masterdirector
06-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Well damn, Hatton beat the EA Curse for sure, LOL!

Can Hopkins beat it against Taylor?

If you recall, Jones didn't fall victim to the curse until Fight Night was actually released. Hopkins' fight against Eastman was prior to Fight Night Round 2 being released. Maybe Taylor will be Hopkins' end. Or maybe Wright. Though I don't really believe in the curse, it's fun to talk about I guess.

masterdirector
06-24-2005, 01:40 AM
hmm...now thinking about it, maybe the EA Curse had the reverse effect on Hatton because Hatton was the underdog. Quite a complex curse.

...or just a bunch of bull****...