View Full Version : How come some people can do like 300 or 500 push-ups a day?

Freddy Krueger
08-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I've been working out since I was like 12 and *****23 yrs old now, and everytime I workout my muscles are sore-for like 2-3 days depending on how intense the workout was. So my question to you is how can some people do 300-500 push-ups a day? Wouldn't that added up make yourself be overtraining and trying to workout your muscles while your sore?

I was told its not good for your muscles to work them out while they're sore and in the healing process.

Chr0nic
08-29-2009, 01:51 PM
did you parents ever do any kind of competitive sports?
or maybe your overrating your ''intense'' workouts

and working out while your muscles are healing are fine aslong as you dont overdue it
fact is working out during the healing process actually speeds up the rebuilding of your muscles because your sending more blood in

Freddy Krueger
08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
did you parents ever do any kind of competitive sports?
or maybe your overrating your ''intense'' workouts

and working out while your muscles are healing are fine aslong as you dont overdue it
fact is working out during the healing process actually speeds up the rebuilding of your muscles because your sending more blood in

Working your muscles out when they're sore is safe to do? Omg, its so ****ing painful I thought I was told that it can cause overtraining and muscle loss and more injuries if you do train while sore... :werd:

Chr0nic
08-29-2009, 02:08 PM
strecthing is your best friend

fraidycat
08-29-2009, 02:23 PM

That is absolutely incorrect. Light exercise helps decrease lactic acid buildup and will make you marginally less sore the day after a brutal workout, but don't work out hard when you're still sore from a previous workout. You will overtrain and you can develop long-term problems. Do some stretching and maybe go for an easy run.

Muscle is built as an extension of the healing process, and is built during recovery and rest. This is why bodybuilders have a chest day, a leg day, an arm day, a back day, etc.

I have to be concerned, though. If you think the pain from doing pushups is "OMG so ****ing bad," boxing is probably not your sport. What happens to you in the ring is gonna hurt ten times worse.

Freddy Krueger
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I have to be concerned, though. If you think the pain from doing pushups is "OMG so ****ing bad," boxing is probably not your sport. What happens to you in the ring is gonna hurt ten times worse.

If that was directed at me, I work more then one muscle at on my workout days. I work my triceps, traps, biceps, chest, shoulders all in one day workout.

Push-ups
Bench pressing
Pull-ups
Tricep extensions
Shoulder raises
and so on

Chr0nic
08-29-2009, 02:35 PM
That is absolutely incorrect. Light exercise helps decrease lactic acid buildup and will make you marginally less sore the day after a brutal workout, but don't work out hard when you're still sore from a previous workout. You will overtrain and you can develop long-term problems. Do some stretching and maybe go for an easy run.

Muscle is built as an extension of the healing process, and is built during recovery and rest. This is why bodybuilders have a chest day, a leg day, an arm day, a back day, etc.

yep, cut out the bit where im sayin just dont overdue it

sukhenkoy
08-29-2009, 03:17 PM
You just get used to doing those kinds of numbers. When I first started out, I was doing about 100 a day. Then slowly built up to about 400-500 a day. Some days I even did over 1000.

Your body just gets used to it to the point where your muscles aren't sore the next day from doing 300+ pushups a day.

Del Coqui
08-29-2009, 04:04 PM
I used to do 500 a day in sets of 50, once I did 467 taking rests but keeping a hand on the floor and pushup position, its not that hard if you do them everyday and try to do a few more every time.

PAC-BOY
08-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Day on day of rest. Push ups one day dips the other and sit ups. You have to keep up the same program. You lay off your body will let you know. Keep the same program and you will train your muscles

fraidycat
08-29-2009, 06:18 PM
yep, cut out the bit where im sayin just dont overdue it

I was hung over this morning. I totally misread your post. Have some K, bro. Sorry.

Junito-Rulez
08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
4 x 50 pushups the morning = 200. 2 years ago i couldn't do more than 50 push ups a day, i had weak arms, now i am strong like a mofo. It's 100% mental, i became an excellent runner and a decent soccer player whereas i was obese as a kid. Now i'm like 150 pounds for 5 feet 9 and very athletic. If i came to this level you can easily do 200 pushups too.

Little Mac
08-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Your body will get there. I started by doing 4 sets of 25. Eventually got up to 6 sets of 85 with push-up bars. Increase your reps of each set by 5 every week/every other week. Keep it up! Building tricep strength will also help with your push allowing you to get those extra 2-3 at the end that you didn't think you could do.

them_apples
08-30-2009, 12:49 AM
I've been working out since I was like 12 and *****23 yrs old now, and everytime I workout my muscles are sore-for like 2-3 days depending on how intense the workout was. So my question to you is how can some people do 300-500 push-ups a day? Wouldn't that added up make yourself be overtraining and trying to workout your muscles while your sore?

I was told its not good for your muscles to work them out while they're sore and in the healing process.

I do about 400 a day, no sore muscle..you get used to it.

the_painless
08-30-2009, 01:50 AM
If your body is getting sore regularly from workouts maybe you need to look at your diet

Freddy Krueger
08-30-2009, 02:04 PM
If your body is getting sore regularly from workouts maybe you need to look at your diet

I like junk food, plus doesn't junk food like burgers, hotdogs, pizza, all have protein in it anyways?

Sin City
08-30-2009, 04:03 PM

that's a bunch of bull****.. what does push ups have to do with boxing?
I'm willing to bet Juan Diaz hasn't done a push up in his life and he gets in the ring.
I've trained for boxing and though it's the toughest thing I've ever done.. it isn't in
anyway as bad as you make it seem.

Sin City
08-30-2009, 04:06 PM
to Joseph: the first month is the hardest.. your body needs to get used to activities it isn't accustomed to. once you get in the groove of things it makes things a lot easier and you don't get as sore from doing the same reps because your body develops indurance.

shyboirank#1
08-30-2009, 09:19 PM
the reason is your not mentally strong ....

Unknown Champ
08-31-2009, 01:44 AM
i disagree with all yall mofos, one day in one day off(sometimes 2 days off). you need to rest because when you do, you are way more stronger. i did 180 perfect push ups and 80 pullups in about 15-20 minutes, thats after i rested for 2 days. Rest is key and a mind intense workout. Why dont i believe most of you guys 1000 pushups a day without rest? cut it out!

oniham
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
I've talked to my friend who is a bodybuilder and idealy what you want to do is to get 2 days of rest in the week of not working out so your body can rest and start to build muscle.

sukhenkoy
09-01-2009, 12:34 PM
i disagree with all yall mofos, one day in one day off(sometimes 2 days off). you need to rest because when you do, you are way more stronger. i did 180 perfect push ups and 80 pullups in about 15-20 minutes, thats after i rested for 2 days. Rest is key and a mind intense workout. Why dont i believe most of you guys 1000 pushups a day without rest? cut it out!

I only did 1000+ pushups in a day once, or at most, two times a week. The next day I would go down to 300 or a little more as my rest. I have been doing pushups for a while so I do not feel sore from not doing my 300+ a day. In fact, if I didn't do them, I started to feel like **** mentally and fatigued physically.

I'm not one of those posters that does 1000 pushups a day, because I don't. But pushups have always been a staple of my workouts and therefore it might seem like I do a lot compared to someone who barely does them, or is just starting to do them.

Dynamite Glove
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM

What is pain?

Dynamite Glove
09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Even if you can do 1000 pushups a day, it really doesn't correlate to punch power. Punches come from the toes...not the chest. Now if you wanna get right up on someone and wing hooks, even here, the chest might play 15-20 percent of the 'punch pie' .... Foot placement/legs are easily 60% of your punch power, back/midsection 20%, upper body 20% ...all those pushups is only gonna make it harder for you to cover up and easier for your opponent to give you a Ricky Hatton coup-de-grace, and no, that doesn't mean 4 pints...

Ricky Hatton coup de grace- clinch, step out to the right or left and have a big looping body shot coming right up the middle, low, as you exit the clinch, ricky liked to step out to his right and then delve in that liver shot

MKultra
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Even if you can do 1000 pushups a day, it really doesn't correlate to punch power. Punches come from the toes...not the chest. Now if you wanna get right up on someone and wing hooks, even here, the chest might play 15-20 percent of the 'punch pie' .... Foot placement/legs are easily 60% of your punch power, back/midsection 20%, upper body 20% ...all those pushups is only gonna make it harder for you to cover up and easier for your opponent to give you a Ricky Hatton coup-de-grace, and no, that doesn't mean 4 pints...

Ricky Hatton coup de grace- clinch, step out to the right or left and have a big looping body shot coming right up the middle, low, as you exit the clinch, ricky liked to step out to his right and then delve in that liver shot

Why must you try to sound like you know what your talking about in every post who said anything about power? Pushups are for conditioning your shoulders so you can throw more than 20 punches a round without dying. Are you really discouraging someone from doing pushups????!!! Pushups are essential, name a boxer that doesn't do pushups. Conditioned shoulders will make it harder for you to cover it up omg please stop. By your videos you obviously dont know what pushups or any form of conditioning/cardio are.

Chip2006uk
09-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Pushups are a bit of a ballache for me, I seem to progress really really slowly with them whereas with pullups I progress really fast, somedays I even seem to do worse with the pushups compared to the last time.

Unknown Champ
09-04-2009, 02:23 AM
I did 400 perfect pushups with total ease today, i have been doin the P90x ab ripper x every other day, and my overall strength has boosted ridiculously. i feel super fast too.

RightCross94
09-04-2009, 03:19 AM
I don't do many push ups these days tbh.....In fact i dont do much strength work at all, just lots of fitness such as sprints, running etc and all my boxing stuff like sparring bagwork

RightCross94
09-04-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm going to need to do more strength work in the future though, im only 15 now but all the top olympic guys do strength training so i'm going to need to do more, but where i'm at now i haven't been doing much at all and i've been going alright.

Spartacus Sully
09-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Push ups are good but worthless if you know that you can do other things. they really only play an importance when your a gym trainer and you have 20 people and you need to give them something to do for the next 10 mins.

but really if your not being forced into doing them by some lazy trainer, id reccomend pull ups, and shrugs to cover almost all the same muscles as push ups. I would also recommend some back bends for increased strength in your intercostals but its not really necessary.

Hanoncs
09-04-2009, 04:35 AM
I feel push ups are very important, They can help maintain speed of jab and other punches. Just a little tip, Go to the store and buy my favorite drink, EAS MYOPLEX. Drink it 30 minutes after and 2 days later you will definitely notice stronger arms.