View Full Version : for those who box

boxer2k5
03-01-2005, 04:43 PM
what style of boxing do you use in the ring

this is for those who sparred or had fights

Im a boxer puncher similar to a cotto or trinidad.
My defense is a little bit different from theirs though.
Im not as straight foward as a trinidad, I have more
latteral movement with rolling with the shoulders and swaying
dipping similar to james toney.

im still novice and homing my skills
but im getting much more comfortable and learnign alot

so my style is like a combination of cotto offense and james toney defense

Mick Hucknall
03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
When sparring with my buddies at boxing i like to take what they've got. I'll often wind them up and see what they throw at me. If they aint got much i like to play about with them get them tired then pounce. If the guy hits like a bull then i go into a more defensive style bobing ,weaving and jabbing.

tino
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
when sparring i would try not getting hit , mainly with lateral movement , test the guy power and speed and then mix it up or not .

when fighting that would be 3 punches combo then move jab jab jab when the jab connects 3 punch combo , move side to side and on and on , cause thats the best way to score points , which is the main goal in amateur fights.

in my first ten fights i was a brawler and scored mainly stoppages or badly shook the guys , cause i m a sharp shooter and i was huge for the weight. but after taking a pounding from a guy who didnt cared about my power , i understood that building a victory with movement and legs is the best way to win , and do it healthy.

i hope this help boxing 2K5.

.::EnRiQuE::.
03-01-2005, 06:23 PM
i typically use my footwork with lost of lateral movement and stuff like dat. i like to let my opponents come after me as a circle then when i see that they are not sitting down to throw a punch i come in with fast hard combos. i've only got 10 fights. right now im 6 wins and 4 losses. no ko's seeing how im in the 106 division. still growin(LoL). but yea i have to fight this weekend in Meriden. wish me good luck :boxing:

Gattz187
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
good luck 2ndrnd and try to make it a ko :)

boxernyc
03-01-2005, 06:57 PM
i typically use my footwork with lost of lateral movement and stuff like dat. i like to let my opponents come after me as a circle then when i see that they are not sitting down to throw a punch i come in with fast hard combos. i've only got 10 fights. right now im 6 wins and 4 losses. no ko's seeing how im in the 106 division. still growin(LoL). but yea i have to fight this weekend in Meriden. wish me good luck :boxing:

Good luck! Keep them hands up!

Gio
03-01-2005, 07:00 PM
I like to use me speed to frustrate my opponent. I aim for at least a 3 hit combo and try to mix it up with body and head shots.

I sometime like the opponent to think that they got me tired or stuned and wait for a power shot and counter it as hard as i can.

For some reason i just love body shots, it really discourages and flurries from the other guy if u hit him with a few solid shots. :beerchug:

03-01-2005, 07:02 PM
ahh i love to hit ppl wit body shots. especially the left hook to da body and then follow with one up top. body shots are fun as long as ur not the one getting hit with one.

DrDac
03-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Honestly, I am trying to still find myself. I don't like to compare my style with any pro, because simple it would be a disgrace to their unbelievable talents.

But, I like to Box from the outside, and that is exactly what I do.

When I am forced into a defensive mode I seem to naturally gravitate towards a toney/mayweather type stance (arm positions) and am progressing daily using it.

I really hesitate to say Ali's offense, because my work in comparison is such an ugly mess. But, that is what I do, Jab Jab Jab. Jump in with a combo, and get out of range. Moving all around the ring.

I also seem to counterpunch of opponent's first moves with parry's quite often...Infact so often I bet its predictable.

03-01-2005, 11:02 PM
LoL i do the same thing with the parrying someone punches its predictable. i keep slappin down someones jab and coming with a power jab. it works and gives ppl bloody noses often :) also i tend to put my arms the way toeny/PBF do. idk it just seems so comfortable. only prob with that defense is that u basically have to throw an uppercut or a let hook. the right hand comes to loopy for me when my defense is like dat :mad:

boxer2k5
03-01-2005, 11:41 PM

with good training you dont need luck
train hard and punch harder homey

thansk for the feedback guys
i was jsut curious to how you guys fight

Rockin'
03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
my advice to anyone wanting to compete is learn the basics first. Jab, right, basic defense, movement and such. Emphasize the work and need for a good jab most. After they have learned the basics, having taught him to control a fight with a jab and slight moves it comes to this. Learn not to be hit and then to hit. ala counterpunching. The art is dieing with most of the old trainers. I was trained well in counterpunching except I would force my opponent to throw with constant pressure. They react to me, but I have a plan to work off of them. If you want insight I will offer it to you. But try this, you will progress in the amatuers much faster..........Rockin'

03-01-2005, 11:58 PM
with good training you dont need luck
train hard and punch harder homey

thansk for the feedback guys
i was jsut curious to how you guys fight
thanx for the advice. i'll leave an update in this thread after i get home from the fights

buff_mike10
03-02-2005, 12:51 AM
When i'm sparring i like to use a hard fast jab from the outside to see how my opponents reflexes are and what style he uses. I am 6' tall but i do use the Cus D'amato peek a boo style. I cover my face with my gloves just below my eyes and move in quick at a low crouch. I like to plant one foot between my opponents legs and come across with hooks for Knockout punches, not in sparring of course. I try to work on three punch combo's when sparring, see which punch opens up so i can decide which punch to throw next in a real fight. This style works better with a shorter guy like Mike Tyson but its actually working pretty good for me against heavier opponents. Head movement is very important to me, between that and the jab are my top priorities.

Pugnacious_Z
03-02-2005, 01:38 AM
yeah but tyson is tall too. 5"11"

buff_mike10
03-02-2005, 02:07 AM
5'11 1/2" on all of the records, but eveyone that has seen him in person says he is really 5'9".

rsl
03-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Nothin' but some good ole' throwback phonebooth fightin' ala Ray Mancini , Wayne Mcullough, Danny "Kid Dynamite" Romero.... Don't mistake it for that B.S. I hit you-you hit me crap, we love to shoot from all types of angles and give lots of lateral movement, never stayin' in front of the opponent. Sad to say though my jab is crap, 'cause I knew and believed in my speed and power. Man just talkin' about it makes me reminisce the good times. Counterpunching didn't come naturally to me, something that I had to work on and I got pretty decent with it.

leff
03-02-2005, 08:42 AM

He is actually 5.10.

But no matter if he is that ore 5.11 ore 5.9 he is short for a heavy

Slipx
03-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I stand conventional, with my right hand by my ear and my left hand just below my chin

i get aggressive when my instinct takes over, but in round one when the bell rings, I get in the middle and get respect with my left jab, moving in a circle while moving my head side to side, keeping a good couple of ft between me and my guy. i keep an eye on my opponents midsection, since all punches come from the feet first, i never miss a beat. If a guy lunges at me with a left hook, I'll see it coming a mile away..I always back up in time to be able to counter with a left jab at the least. If he jabs at me, I look to leap in with a left hook, unless it's a southpaw, then I duck and throw a right hook to the body then a left hook upstairs. The best chance a southpaw has at getting over on me is that straght left hand, thats why I always keep my right hand by my ear so if that punch gets thrown I can block it or catch it easily. If someone tries to close in and stalk me down, when I get near a corner I just pop the jab and right hand (if I see an opening for the right hand) and it backs up the guy every time, or at least allows me to get outta the danger zone..gotta get that jab respect early for him to back up on demand like this, getting jab respect early is so important for me.

when im sparring i dont throw hooks at all unless someone tries to hit me with a hook, normally i keep my guy at a distance and smack em with my left jab, and adapt to what he does. if he tries to hurt me (hooks,full power shots in general) I focus on circling and keeping my head in motion, setup with the left jab and 9 times out of 10 I'll land a right hook to the body after that jab lands. this is normally how I always go into any kind of boxing match because i have respect for myself, consider myself somewhat intelligent and don't go in there looking to lose brain cells. I don't wanna be the guy making threads on here about having headaches after taking a large shot while sparring, so I always stay cautious in there...

you gotta take care of yourself in that ring if you wanna be the same person 20 years from now, that's the way i see it,hence my counterpunch style.

Dyl-G
03-02-2005, 07:23 PM
how do you counter a pressure fighter? and where do you guys look at your opponets to see the punches?

jack_the_rippuh
03-02-2005, 07:47 PM
how do you counter a pressure fighter? and where do you guys look at your opponets to see the punches?

I would say tire him out before looking for counter opportunities by moving laterally, jabbing, and blocking when on the inside, another word of advice is to never let him close the distance, keep him back with straight punches. Look at the shoulder, chest, and/or hips..

boxer2k5
03-02-2005, 09:24 PM

keep your hands up
KEEP IN YOUR HANDS UP

work his body and exploit his pressure with hooks and uppercuts

Dyl-G
03-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I would say tire him out before looking for counter opportunities by moving laterally, jabbing, and blocking when on the inside, another word of advice is to never let him close the distance, keep him back with straight punches. Look at the shoulder, chest, and/or hips..

thanks bros, ima try that too, I got another question though, i dont wanna start a new thread. have you guys used that underarmor workout clothing? you guys think thats worth buyin cuz wearin a cotton t shirt full of sweat isnt exactly the most comfortable thing to wear when training... whta you guys think about that stuff.. thanks

Slipx
03-03-2005, 12:06 PM
thanks bros, ima try that too, I got another question though, i dont wanna start a new thread. have you guys used that underarmor workout clothing? you guys think thats worth buyin cuz wearin a cotton t shirt full of sweat isnt exactly the most comfortable thing to wear when training... whta you guys think about that stuff.. thanks

buy one of those nike/reebok/adidas muscle shirts that are like nylon have tons of little holes in em.they breathe well,(see warrior spirits avatar.)

Super_Lightweight
03-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I've only been boxing for 2.5 years and have had limited sparring in that time (perhaps 35-40 rounds) and only 4 real fights.

When I am fighting, I just try to be aware, very calm, and look for opening. My main objective is to throw combos, instead of thinking to much, just release 2-4 punches at once.

I would say I feel more comfortable on the inside than the outside, and I usually am able to land some crucial body shots when I am settled on the inside with my opponent.

In my opinion, the main thing I need to work on is coming at my opponent in something other than a striaght line. Many times I don't offer much in terms of foot movement when I come for the attack.

Defensively, I am pretty decent. When I am thinking defense, my footwork is good and I am fairly calm and clear-headed, but I need to be better at interlacing my defense and offense.

Lastly, I would say that my best asset is my ability to take a punch. I've only been down once, by choice, when I was being heavily assaulted by a military fighter with 50 fights and I only had 2 fights.

Floydmayweather
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
My style is real odd. I am a southpaw and like to move in and out and lateraly to throw my oppenent off. I also roll my hands and use alot of faints to keep my oppenent guessing when i will throw. I love counterpunching and dont really like to move foward unless i have worn down my oppenent. My handspeed is really good but i need more footwork. (Golden Gloves 05 ;) )

Rockin'
03-07-2005, 07:18 PM
look your opponent straight in the middle of the chest when fighting. You will see his gloves, his shoulder, waist and feet. Seeing these things will alert you to what he is intending to do. You dont need to look at his eyes or face, you already know that his head is, right on top of his shoulders.

Try this next time your at the gym. Get a guy to stand there with his hands up. Look him in the eyes. Then ask him to very slowly lift the toes of one of his feet off of the ground. You will not see the movement. Then look him in the middle of the chest and have him do the same. You will see the movement. Remember that if a man is going to come in and shoot at you his feet have to move to get him there, thats your que....Rockin'

Gattz187
03-07-2005, 08:17 PM
a counter puncher with accuracy and i have above average power for a mid weight but my speed could use some work and i stay low

RUDDY
03-09-2005, 05:50 AM
I only spar, not had any fights yet, but when i'm in the ring i try to be as slick as possible, cos the idea is to hit and not be hit. I dont really throw alot of combinations im more of a take your time sort of person. My defense is quite tight, and try to mimic winky wright in that area.

tommo
03-10-2005, 02:48 AM
does anyone know the best way to strengthen your neck if you have'nt got weights ?

phallus
03-10-2005, 03:18 AM

AND NEVER GO STRAIGHT BACK KIDS. i sparred on saturday ( first time in a few months, i'm coming back from an injury ) and it felt pretty good...one thing i noticed though, i used to be more of a brawler like JL Castillo, now i'm more like a boxer - puncher, getting comfortable using the jab to set up the big right hand , but i sure got nailed with right hooks going straight back ( note to self, don't go straight back ). i'm still basically a puncher, though, my favorite punches are still downstairs - although i gotta admit, popping the jab in a guys' face over and over is getting to be more and more fun

Cre_Ace
03-10-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm a fast Heavy Weight who likes to move alot. I look like I weight 180 pounds, but I weight 235 pounds. So when I'm about to step into the ring, the big heavy weights look at me liek I'm about to be their lunch, then they find out that in order to eat something, you've to catch it. GYMU coming at you.

boxer2k5
03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
where are you from

im a HW but im 188 look like 188

Arfan
03-10-2005, 06:05 PM
the best thing is to let the oppienment punch you until they get tired and you combo lol

BrooklynBomber
03-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I am a welter and i am boxer/puncher who relies more on his offensive arsenal than defense/counterpunching. So im more of a puncher. I like to throw combinations while moving with putting all of my strength in last punches of a combination. I sort of set up mu powerpunshes with combination of a weaker punches before.

Super_Lightweight
03-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey, Tommo, stengthen your neck by jerking it to the left 10-20 times, to the right 10-20 times, then to the back 10-20 times. After that, roll your head/neck in slow circles so that you're stretching your neck. Do it clockwise and counter-clockwise.

boxer2k5
03-11-2005, 06:54 PM
i do those during my warm up