View Full Version : What styles?

m00ks
03-01-2005, 01:34 AM
How do you find which style would work best for you? Trial and error? lol

DrDac
03-01-2005, 11:37 AM
In my opinion,

1)body attributes: I was playing around in sparring last week and was attempting to mimic tyson's peek-a-boo style. And at 6'2'' it was a failure for me alright.

2)Comfort: what style feels most comfortable to the fighter? Does he like his opponent to move first (counterpuncher), Does he like to stay on outside (box).

3)What works: Although a new style may not be comfortable when starting out, if you or your trainer sees you have potential with that style and make it work in the future. Stick with it.

There's more factor's but I am pressed for time at the moment.

So, Yea, a lot of trial and error through sparring I guess.

Mr. Ryan
03-01-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm going to give you the best piece of advice I can give anyone trying to become a boxer, just listen to your trainer. He will show you the correct style, and if it works, it works. If you don't feel comfortable, go to a different gym. Mimicking fighters you see on tv will end you up on your ass, as tv doesn't show the subtleties that make the style effective.

boxernyc
03-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Trial and error. That's what I currently am doing. My guess is that as you learn you kind of just settle into a style. Also, the style you pick may depend greatly on the type of sparrers you go up against. You will try and find a way to win against them and that will show up in your style. I'm happy that I have several different types of fighters where I train (most are way ahead of me in experience) some are agressive, some are passive, some are stick and movers. So I try to be steady against the agressive and not let them push me around, I just work on hitting with the passive and I try to cut the ring off and get in on the taller stick and mover. I guess I'm a schitzo style. I'm working on it though! I would love to be able to take the body attack of the Mexicans and the movement and accuracy of Kostya and incorporate it. Plus my right hand is like a sledge hammer so that works out well! :boxing:

boxer2k5
03-01-2005, 04:39 PM
its where you feel comfortable fighting

you get in the ring and get comfortable

most of the time your styles comes from your trainer as well

like cus teachign tyson the peek a boo

after you learn the basics
you begin to get more comfortable and
your personallties come into play

usually a showboater in the streets will showboat
in the ring

someone who is always focused and do things by the book
will do the same in the ring

its a combination of trainer, personalty, and opponents

boxer2k5
03-01-2005, 04:40 PM
i dont think you can really choose a style
the style choose you after you throw everythign into a bag

jack_the_rippuh
03-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Shadow box it, fight with it, learn from your mistakes and modify what needs to be modified..

boxernyc
03-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Shadow box it, fight with it, learn from your mistakes and modify what needs to be modified..

Jack, I like this avatar much better than the Jacko once. Damn I didn't like seing him every so often!

Pugnacious_Z
03-02-2005, 01:43 AM
yea. punch the bag and if u have hard hit becum a puncher and vice versa

Slipx
03-02-2005, 12:09 PM
yea. punch the bag and if u have hard hit becum a puncher and vice versa

.......laf