View Full Version : what do u think about when sparring?

Gio
02-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Since I'm pretty new here let me give u some info about my background. I'm 22, 5'9 & 154 #'s. I've been trainning for only 8 months & loving it.

I go to my local gym 3 times a week. I also attend a boxing program @ my school; mostly for conditioning & extra sparring.

The class has a handfull of fat kid; which is cool with me, at least their trying. And a handful of punks thinking their "hard".

Today @ school we were doing very light sparring, jabs only & I was just trying to throw them off ass much as I could.

I was looking at mid torso and tagging the punks right in the face. I guess cause I was looking closer to their gut they thought I was going to him em there.

I would look down snap @ the head, and then throw a nice one back down to the gut.

This worked on almost everyone I tried it on. Now I know these guy haven't been boxing 4 more than a month, but f*#k it, some of these guys think their Billy Badass or something.

Since I've been watching everyone in class I knew if they were sluggers, aggresors, or trying to really box.

I usually just try to counter the power punches to make them realise that their gonna pay every time they let lose.

But what do u guys think about?

DrDac
02-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey now, your doing pretty good you discovered a sort of feinting on your own, with the tricking your opponent to think your going to throw where you want him to think.

Don't regret having to box the fellas that are worse than you, I used to feel this way too. As if they were just a waste of time, but then started to incorporate rounds with the less experienced boxers focusing predominantly on a specific goal: fighting on the ropes, new defensive styles, and my newest quest of turning southpaw mid-round.

For the longest time it seemed I would just counter-punch them all day and make them look foolish, but now I discovered for myself how to use the "lesser" sparring partners as a great tool.
Not to mention helping them out by giving them more ring time.

So during sparring I just think of the task at hand, whether it be: counter, body work, defense, dancing, jabbing, punches in bunches, or sometimes just to survive!

Atwa_66
02-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Since I'm pretty new here let me give u some info about my background. I'm 22, 5'9 & 154 #'s. I've been trainning for only 8 months & loving it.

I go to my local gym 3 times a week. I also attend a boxing program @ my school; mostly for conditioning & extra sparring.

The class has a handfull of fat kid; which is cool with me, at least their trying. And a handful of punks thinking their "hard".

Today @ school we were doing very light sparring, jabs only & I was just trying to throw them off ass much as I could.

I was looking at mid torso and tagging the punks right in the face. I guess cause I was looking closer to their gut they thought I was going to him em there.

I would look down snap @ the head, and then throw a nice one back down to the gut.

This worked on almost everyone I tried it on. Now I know these guy haven't been boxing 4 more than a month, but f*#k it, some of these guys think their Billy Badass or something.

Since I've been watching everyone in class I knew if they were sluggers, aggresors, or trying to really box.

I usually just try to counter the power punches to make them realise that their gonna pay every time they let lose.

When I spar, I am usually thinking about moving around, and knocking down their punches, and countering with fast jabs to the face, and hard right hooks to the body. Whenever I'm sparring, I really work on my defense, and my footwork. I don't throw too many hard punches, But I do slip in the occasional power punch. I mostly go for quick jabs, and just watching the torso of my parter and looking for cracks in their defense.

Lucky466
02-28-2005, 10:56 PM
The best thing in the world is when you are sparring and you arnt even thinking about it. When you hit that groove where its all just automatic and you can beat the guy and your thinking about the dinner your gonna eat afterwards or something like that. Thats what I like to think about when I fight when I have to actually think to be able to score against the guy then its not quite so much fun.

Gio
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I like to know what other fellow boxers are thinking because maybe i don't think about some issues as much. For instance, I think i should work on my defense very much. Is not like i get hit often , but still i would rather my opponent miss and throw them off balance.

How do u feel emotionally. I think i have a problem because i have no emotion while sparring, im just in there chilling. Is this weird?

A trainer told me i should fight with some anger and aggression, but its still kinda weird for me.

Will fighting with anger help me fight better? I was always told that emotion distracts u from thinking clearly. :boxing:

phallus
03-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I like to know what other fellow boxers are thinking because maybe i don't think about some issues as much. For instance, I think i should work on my defense very much. Is not like i get hit often , but still i would rather my opponent miss and throw them off balance.

How do u feel emotionally. I think i have a problem because i have no emotion while sparring, im just in there chilling. Is this weird?

A trainer told me i should fight with some anger and aggression, but its still kinda weird for me.

Will fighting with anger help me fight better? I was always told that emotion distracts u from thinking clearly. :boxing:

anger is bad in the ring dude, u'll take shots you wouldn't have otherwise because all u're thinkin about is layin a hurtin on the other guy. u should be cool and calm in the ring, i love fighting and sparring, it's fun

DrDac
03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Emotionless is the way to go, although sometimes I can't help but crack a little smile when I'm having a good day in the ring.

leff
03-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I think hit not get hit.

Atwa_66
03-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Yeah, never fight with emotion. When you fight with anger, the boxing match may turn into an all out fist fight, and your mind goes blank of fundamentals, and that's when you get beat. If you're angry, you will just start throwing wild punches, and leave yourself wide open. The best thing is to go into a fight focused and ready to fight, not pissed off. You can be hyped, but not mad, never go into a fight mad.

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2005, 01:55 PM
About your trainer, i don't think he meant "anger" as in "rage" but as in some more aggression. Maybe he thinks instead of just countering (not a bad thing) you SHOUlD be a little more "agressive" but not in the rage way.

For example, as soon as you see an opportunity for attack, especially time for power shots, you take it without hesitation. Remember that ONLY countering can posibly be a disadvantage against some experienced boxer (they could faint, wait for you to block or slip a coutner, then counter you counterpunch).

Anger is always bad, but aggression is necessary at higher levels of boxing.

boxer2k5
03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
I used to think about alot of things
but that was my mistake

thinking about what punch to throw
or how am i looking
or not hurting this guy

it made me a step slower and my reflexes bad

now i jsut go in there and do what ive been training
i dont think i rely on reflex and bang

i dont hit as hard as i can but i dont hold back as much

i try not to think and i try to listen to my coach behind me
and jsut adapt to my opponent
its liek playing a scrimmage basketball game
your going to play as if its any other game

Gio
03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
About your trainer, i don't think he meant "anger" as in "rage" but as in some more aggression. Maybe he thinks instead of just countering (not a bad thing) you SHOUlD be a little more "agressive" but not in the rage way.

For example, as soon as you see an opportunity for attack, especially time for power shots, you take it without hesitation. Remember that ONLY countering can posibly be a disadvantage against some experienced boxer (they could faint, wait for you to block or slip a coutner, then counter you counterpunch).

Anger is always bad, but aggression is necessary at higher levels of boxing.

Very true. I think ur right about this. i do need to become more aggressive and bring the action and not let it come to me most of the time. ;)

.::EnRiQuE::.
03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Gio hey we have the same name(mines Geo though) anyway i'm just like you when im sparring. my face looks like im spacing out. im not spacing out we're just relaxed. if ur tense ur reflexes are gonna be bad and ur speed will be less because u think before you throw. its normal to thinkabout other stuff when ur sparring and stuff. i usually think about dates wit chix and parties or whats for dinner or wat i have for homewrk. keep up the good work!!! :boxing:

Gio
03-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Gio hey we have the same name(mines Geo though) anyway i'm just like you when im sparring. my face looks like im spacing out. im not spacing out we're just relaxed. if ur tense ur reflexes are gonna be bad and ur speed will be less because u think before you throw. its normal to thinkabout other stuff when ur sparring and stuff. i usually think about dates wit chix and parties or whats for dinner or wat i have for homewrk. keep up the good work!!! :boxing:

It works pretty well huh? I guess people kinda get thrown off if u dont look them in the eyes while fighting. I dont know, i have always tried to remain real cool and relaxed in every situation, not just boxing.

I think its funny how other guys have this crazy look on their face while sparring and were just chilling like we have no concern at all. I think its my job to throw them off and frustrate them as much as possible. I like them to fight my fight.

A, good luck with ur trainnig man. :boxing:

Slipx
03-02-2005, 11:09 AM

what school do you go to that lets you guys spar? sounds like the place i need to raise my son or daughter, if i ever have one

masha
03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
I always focus oin the chest and try to stay out of range when I am not punching.

Gio
03-03-2005, 11:17 PM
what school do you go to that lets you guys spar? sounds like the place i need to raise my son or daughter, if i ever have one

Well its a jr college. Sacramento City College :D

03-04-2005, 12:02 AM
A, good luck with ur trainnig man. :boxing:
thanx, you too! :boxing:

evosbm
03-04-2005, 12:40 AM

Will fighting with anger help me fight better? I was always told that emotion distracts u from thinking clearly.

your technique is nice but it i think it can be effective for a while or to a lesser experienced fighters. it can be easily worked out with head and body movement while concentrating on the shoulders. the head and body movement goes with or without an attack from an opponent so that fighters like your style will realy have a hard time when to fake coz the head and body movement can be more unpredictable than an opponent who just stands in front of you and reacts only when you make your move or just ansticipates.

one thing i consider better aside from head and body movement is counter punching as soon as you opponent throws his firs punch or faking a lead by a jab or double jab so you could catch your opponent's moves and at the same time keeping your self safely from getting taged hard. its very important to know you opponent early by doing this coz it'll be very useful in the next suceeding rounds.

And with regards to anger, i think it meant "hunger" not anger. the desire, the spirit and determination to realy hurt and finish your opponent. this feelings have certain level of intensity that is usually the source of power. the higher the level the greater the power that will be unleashed. this is why it is important. but it should be done without losing your concentration. this is also greatly affected by attitude and personality of an individual.

nawfal
03-04-2005, 04:35 AM
i just think about everything,

hands up
double up the jab
pump out the jab
stay light on your feet

but that stuff is coming more naturally, so now i think of tricks, like feints and stuff.

Super_Lightweight
03-05-2005, 07:00 PM
What I always think about is just relaxing, and looking for openings instead of just punhcing to punch.

Also, perhaps above all else, I just remind myself to throw combos. Throw 3 punches consecutively...something's gonna land.

Tha Greatest
03-10-2005, 02:01 AM

hahah whats up man, also from sacramento
u still goin to elk grove boxing?
and ya sacramentos got lot of brawlers lol

boxer2k5
03-10-2005, 02:32 PM
i think about blood death rape suicide end of the world
deathrow hell on earth

i think that this is whats going to happen to me if i dont unleash it first

Gio
03-10-2005, 10:43 PM
hahah whats up man, also from sacramento
u still goin to elk grove boxing?
and ya sacramentos got lot of brawlers lol

You from Sac too?
Where do you train?

Weight?

Hell yeah lot of people trying to brawl over here.

Tha Greatest
03-11-2005, 12:44 AM
You from Sac too?
Where do you train?

Weight?

Hell yeah lot of people trying to brawl over here.

ya im from sac
Prime Time is where i go
i'm only 16 so im gonna fight at the 132 pound weight class

ya it gets annoyin everyone wanna be hard

Gio
03-11-2005, 02:52 AM
ya im from sac
Prime Time is where i go

ya it gets annoyin everyone wanna be hard

How's Prime Time treating you?
Im getting tired of my Gym over here, i need to start sparring more.
Im thinking i might be going to ur gym in the spring. I have to go to camp though huh?
How often do you spar over there? How are the trainers? Whats the daily routine like?

****, im having trouble losing weight, i would be very lucky to get down to 140 Lbs.

Gio
03-11-2005, 02:56 AM

There are a couple of guys here at my gym at that weight class, maybe u could spar them sometime. Just let me know. :D

Tha Greatest
03-11-2005, 03:17 AM
There are a couple of guys here at my gym at that weight class, maybe u could spar them sometime. Just let me know. :D

really, ur gyms in elk grove rite?
maybe in july when i get my car cuz i live in Roseville
but if i have a car im gonna go to work everyday in summer and it's by elk grove, i'll tell u then, they good? brawlers?
thx man
well in the camps, u just learn the basics first and u do lot of jump rope and heavybag and that stuff but it's VERY pricy, and u dont sparr a lot..

How often u sparr in ur gym, i just wanna see what a lot is to u man..

msg back bro
take care

just to let u know there's another gym in downtown on 16th called Washington neighbourhood Center, if u wanna sparr, they do lots there, just ask me n i'll give u info man..

take care man

Sweat
03-12-2005, 05:26 PM
When i spar, I think about what to eat for dinner and i also think about my girlfriend. Cant stop thingking about her... Damn, thats why i always loose in sparring.. :p

Natty Dread
03-14-2005, 04:08 AM
nothing all i do is smile and dance and some time do the ali shuffle

Prospekt
03-15-2005, 10:58 PM
whenever i spar and think of a reason to hate my partner i seem to punch harder and fight smarter. I kno most people say you can only fight smart when emotionless but when i create emotions i spar way better.

manila_assasin
03-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I think about getting my range perfectly

Tha Greatest
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Well its a jr college. Sacramento City College :D

Me and Gio gonna start boxing at the same gym next week

It's gonna be cool to sparr someone from the boards lol

:D

Dr.Pugilist
05-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I oscillate between completely deadpan and emotionless and grinning-almost laughing.

I just stay relaxed and try to have a good time. A few times I let anger come through for whatever reason...I slower and got hit more, but I didn't gain any noticeable power from it.

05-05-2005, 08:14 PM
i think about blood death rape suicide end of the world
deathrow hell on earth

i think that this is whats going to happen to me if i dont unleash it first
u need sum serious psychiatric help :eek:

TheBrownBomber22
05-06-2005, 07:37 AM
When i spar, I think about what to eat for dinner and i also think about my girlfriend. Cant stop thingking about her... Damn, thats why i always loose in sparring.. :p

lol, you got it bad.

dionysusolympus
05-06-2005, 09:58 AM
kicking the other person's behind...

.:UK RuPtUrE:.
05-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Loads of ppl have mentioned it but i think the best way is to just relax. Ive been told always by trainers to do this as it makes punch power a tad harder. Untested of course but i try to do it neway.

You have got to have an edge about it tho if u wanna actually learn and have a chance of making the most out of the sessions.

I only do 3 rounds sparring :( how bout every1 else??

Im english as u mite b able to tell, is ne1 else here english.

dionysusolympus
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Loads of ppl have mentioned it but i think the best way is to just relax. Ive been told always by trainers to do this as it makes punch power a tad harder. Untested of course but i try to do it neway.

I only do 3 rounds sparring :( how bout every1 else??

Im english as u mite b able to tell, is ne1 else here english.

I'm partially English - Hong Kong born. Anyhow, resting does generate a faster punch. My trainer showed me, and it works out pretty damn well. I still haven't gotten to spar yet in boxing (I'm still training and getting the rhythm and conditioning down), but in martial arts prior, I sparred more than 3 rounds usually. Usually 5 or six...

cms
05-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Whoa I am the exact same way EXACT i dont even think about the sparring session when im doing it lol

Tha Greatest
05-11-2005, 12:26 AM
LoL

Me and Gio sparred today

he hit me so hard, my head fell out of the ring...

lol jk

but we did meet, we go to the same gym now lol

Cant wait till we start sparring which should be later this week or early next week..

I would really like to sparr with Gio, cuz his not one of those guys who comes to the gym to show his better than u...

It'll be fun and we can work together in sparring, like workin on what we work on

Dio2
05-11-2005, 05:28 PM

Get rid of the trainer that told you to fight with anger. Just being relaxed helps a lot. Most boxers know that you have to be relaxed to avoid fatigue and fight well. But you still want to have "bad intentions" when you throw a punch though. I use to fight very angry, tense and pumped up until I was taught to relax. Its not like a football game.

Tha Greatest
05-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Get rid of the trainer that told you to fight with anger. Just being relaxed helps a lot. Most boxers know that you have to be relaxed to avoid fatigue and fight well. But you still want to have "bad intentions" when you throw a punch though. I use to fight very angry, tense and pumped up until I was taught to relax. Its not like a football game.

He did leave that trainer

His at my gym with a world class trainer whos trained two national champions and both only boxed for 1 year..

RedLight_Traitor
05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
mainly what i think about is countering and slipping:

if he swipes at my jabs, I fake a jab and swing a fast left hook.

i run in close and duck real fast and i see if he likes to fight over-aggressively as his punches will go over my head

i like to strafe side to side changing directions and then swinging jabs and hooks from different angles

i wait for him to use the power right hand and i step in and push a strong jab in his face

i make sure i'm not running too much and that i keep my body is good position and not leaning too far back when i am being hit so that when i punch back, they will be strong

i make sure not to lunge and i make sure to stay relaxed and to swing my shoulders when i punch.

i always keep my head or body moving sideways left or right constantly as to make it hard for them to get a clean shot on me

i move alot so that they only throw 1 punch at a time so that i can slip them easily.