View Full Version : Where does power come from?

cms
02-27-2005, 11:32 PM
when you throw a punch where does the power come from i know it matters wich punch but in general where does the power come from , back? , shoulder? , bicep?, tricep?,

buff_mike10
02-27-2005, 11:56 PM
It comes from muscle, speed, power, punching techinque, alot of things. Alot of muscles are used to throw a proper punch, even the leg muscles. Set on a swing with your legs off the ground and punch, you'll see that your legs play a huge part. Mike Tyson having 28" legs really gave him an edge.

cms
02-27-2005, 11:58 PM
thanx, but i stated my question wrong , what i ment was wat muscle groups?

Kid Achilles
02-28-2005, 02:50 AM
He answered your question: nearly all of them. Legs, hips, abs, back, tricep, even the forearm/wrist for that extra wrenching turnover at the end. Nearly the entire body, from the toes up, is involved in a good punch. That's where the expression "power comes from the ground up" originates.

DrDac
02-28-2005, 11:38 AM
The arms just deliver the punch, most of the power comes from the trunk of the body and weight transfer between legs.

If you are looking for what exercises to perform in order to increase punching power, try: squats, deadlifts, neider press, cleans, overhead squats, straight leg deadlifts, full-contact twists, push presses, and dumbbell swings. (As you can see they are almost all "full-body" exercises. Strong biceps/triceps dont accomplish much for punching power.

And if you weren't looking for exercises to improve power, just wanted to know where it comes from; ignore my 2nd paragraph, and my answer is "whole body"

leff
02-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Tehnic is very important getting your whole weight in too it.

The upper body strech muscles are most important for punching but also legs are a must.

m00ks
02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
The arms just deliver the punch, most of the power comes from the trunk of the body and weight transfer between legs.

If you are looking for what exercises to perform in order to increase punching power, try: squats, deadlifts, neider press, cleans, overhead squats, straight leg deadlifts, full-contact twists, push presses, and dumbbell swings. (As you can see they are almost all "full-body" exercises. Strong biceps/triceps dont accomplish much for punching power.

And if you weren't looking for exercises to improve power, just wanted to know where it comes from; ignore my 2nd paragraph, and my answer is "whole body"

I thought too much weight training ain't good.

.::EnRiQuE::.
02-28-2005, 08:17 PM
I thought too much weight training ain't good.
depends. if u dont stretch enough or you begin to get stiff you should lift less but more reps. lifting is only bad when you get stiff and robotic as long as ur still fluent with ur moves and ur hand speed isn't effected ur aight.

DrDac
02-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Oh no, no, no...do not get me wrong, I do not preach to lift weights in order to take place of sport specific training, rather one can supplement his training week with a session or 2 of powertraining (weights).

I personally do a hour workout of the exercises I mentioned earlier on wendsdays only, and a 45 minute pure bodyweight exercise session on saturdays...that is ALL I include in my training week for weight training.

So mOOks, you are indeed correct, too much weight training (when it takes place of sport specific boxing activities) is not good.

m00ks
02-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Oh no, no, no...do not get me wrong, I do not preach to lift weights in order to take place of sport specific training, rather one can supplement his training week with a session or 2 of powertraining (weights).

I personally do a hour workout of the exercises I mentioned earlier on wendsdays only, and a 45 minute pure bodyweight exercise session on saturdays...that is ALL I include in my training week for weight training.

So mOOks, you are indeed correct, too much weight training (when it takes place of sport specific boxing activities) is not good.

Hey DrDac, got a question.

I'm trying to get used to 16oz gloves but my arms are still pretty weak. When I shadow box with them, I feel like I'm hyperextending my arm. I feel a stretch at the elbow joint (the inner part where the bicep meets the forearm). Is my form wrong? Should I get used to lighter gloves first (I have 10oz gloves as well) should I strectch more? Is my bicep underdevelopped (lol)? Anyweyz WASAMATTER WITH ME lol!?!?

DrDac
02-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Good News! Nothing is wrong with you at all, a couple friends of mine had the same problem that it sounds like you are describing.
A boxer should definetly not feel any pain when he punches, or else something the boxer is doing is incorrect. Your own suggestions that you made were all right on. Is it your jabbing arm your hyperextending?

I can not imagine that wearing the 16 ounce gloves are your problem, but I would (getting off topic) make sure you progress up through the glove weights for shadowboxing (10<12<16) in order to avoid over-taxing yourself. Mix it up too sometimes, just shadowbox in your wraps.

Make sure you warm up before shadowboxing, light jogging or jumprope. Then stretch gently and fully, make sure you stretch your arm/shoulder/back muscles well.

Now, I don't want to say "your form is wrong," because I am not an expert, nor a trainer, nor can I see your form through a post. But, I think your problem is: you are just locking the punch out TOO far. It's shadowboxing, there will be no negative side effect from stopping your straight punches just short of lockout. Try this and see if it helps the problem.

Just focus on Technique, form, and blazing speed. There is no need to try to KO the shadow opponent with hard locked out punches, because for me atleast, it hast happened yet. ;)

Hope this helps.

DrDac
02-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Damn I forgot to mention, if you think that you possibly have torn or aggravated a ligament or tendon in your elbow region. Please take some time off, let your injury heal. You'll be digging your own grave trying to proceed with an injury of that nature.

But if not, Happy Punching.

Konstantin
02-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Alright I realize that most of the punching power comes from the lower body but if you were to exercise one muscle group on your arm which would it be?

m00ks
02-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Ah man thanx a lot Dr. Preciate it.

buff_mike10
02-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Alright I realize that most of the punching power comes from the lower body but if you were to exercise one muscle group on your arm which would it be?
I'd say do some curls and bench press, get your bicep and chest a little stronger. Make sure you stretch good after each set of curls, hand off a pull up bar, or you'll lose speed from being stiff.

DrDac
02-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Well, Konstantin, to answer your question. If I was forced to only train ONE muscle in my arm for punching, I would train the triceps.

All the muscles in the arm are important, just as all the sections of the body are important for punching.

But back on topic. If I had weak wrists that always got hurt, I would train forarms. If I desired to pull my punches back quick as possible, I would train biceps, and if I wanted to extend my punches quick and hard I would train triceps.

If you can only pick one muscle in arm, look at it in the sense of priorities I mentioned above.

Tha Greatest
03-01-2005, 12:02 AM

im guessing u went to www.rossboxing.com
Ross is the most intelligent guy about training i ever met!!
and he can sure pass it on to thers

Tha Greatest
03-01-2005, 12:07 AM

IF i was u

the best excercises like dr named
dumbell snatches/swings, pushpress, squats, pullups/chinups, bench press, neider press, twisting snatch,lunges, step ups, and power clean, BEST excercises. and u dont wanna work ur biceps much, chinups and pullups are the best bicep excercises, so stick with those and u can use weights for them to if you want. Forget the lat pull down or the vertical chest press.

DrDac
03-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Lol, Yes Sir.

I have been to rossboxing countless hours. He is a very brilliant guy. I even have a couple of his ebooks (Boxer enhancement and Punching with power) I recommend them both.

In this sport, one has to try to absorb all the help and information he can get through gym time, trainers, fellow boxers, films, books, even instructionals. And of course Ross's website is right up there with the rest.

Slipx
03-02-2005, 12:15 PM
a great routine to increase the power of every punch you throw is a simple one.

get yourself a large axe, and find a healthy tree. bring some water with ya, because you will get tired and thirsty between sets

chop away , I start off my first set with my normal stance and then switch my feet to southpaw and practice that swing, and it will also help coordinate your swinging motion for throwing the straight left hand...

what this exercise does is strengthen the muscles that turn your hips, do 5 sets on each side until muscular failure (switch trees if you are about to chop one down, like 12 trees in my backyard are rdy to fall down..lol) I guarantee your hooks will be harder, your straight right/left will be harder, it benefits every punch in your arsenal except the jab.

really lay into each swing, i mean full power.you will need a good pair of leather gloves and safety glasses.

Tha Greatest
03-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Lol, Yes Sir.

I have been to rossboxing countless hours. He is a very brilliant guy. I even have a couple of his ebooks (Boxer enhancement and Punching with power) I recommend them both.

In this sport, one has to try to absorb all the help and information he can get through gym time, trainers, fellow boxers, films, books, even instructionals. And of course Ross's website is right up there with the rest.
definately man
GREAT BOOKS!!
i got the boxer book, the bodyweight one, and PUNCHING WITH POWER!!