View Full Version : Thrilla Or Rumble

czars_salad
02-27-2005, 09:32 PM
last night our local channel RPN 9 featured a 2 hour special on Muhammad Ali from childhood to what he is at present. it was a great presentation...

after watching the show my friends and I debated as to what is Ali's greatest fight, thrilla in manila or rumble in the jungle

i argued that Thrilla in Manila is probably the best of the best. It was probably one of the most devastating ali fight, both ali and fraziers faces ballooned due to devastating blows and both stayed in the hospital for days after the fight. Plus they were fighting in a very harsh (since they are not used to it) environmental condition -- very high humidity and I read something like, there were mosquitos biting frazier in his corner :D . given these details, i'd say Thrilla is the best.

However one of my friend say that Rumble in the Jungle is the best since it featured the best of Ali, defense and instant offense. The rope-a-dope trick was a marvel! Foreman threw his devastating punches and were wild, it only took Ali 4 combo to knock out Foreman...

How about you?

Kid Achilles
02-27-2005, 09:41 PM
In my eyes his first fight with Frazier will always stand out as the best.

scottie
02-27-2005, 10:18 PM
The rope a dope trick. What he did was like taming a wild beast. Its a defining moment for Ali. Even now, that trick is used not only in boxing.

wmute
02-28-2005, 12:51 AM
thrilla in manila

czars_salad
02-28-2005, 04:48 AM
The rope a dope trick. What he did was like taming a wild beast. Its a defining moment for Ali. Even now, that trick is used not only in boxing.
where? :confused:

JOM'S
02-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Thrilla in Manila, for Ali-Fraizer 1 could not count as Ali's greatest fight cuz he lost that one ...

Ali has a lot of great fights and I am sure his greatest fight was not a loossing fight ...

Kid Achilles
02-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Whether he lost it or not, it was his most exciting fight. Great heart and a fierce desire to win from both fighters. Ali also proved the toughness that would characterize him for the rest of his career for the first time, getting up off the deck from a monster hook by an all time great puncher. In hindsight we knew Ali had a great chin but back then many believed he couldn't take a punch.

JOM'S
02-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Whether he lost it or not, it was his most exciting fight. Great heart and a fierce desire to win from both fighters. Ali also proved the toughness that would characterize him for the rest of his career for the first time, getting up off the deck from a monster hook by an all time great puncher. In hindsight we knew Ali had a great chin but back then many believed he couldn't take a punch.

you got that buddy, most exciting is much better to describe that fight ...

Kid Achilles
02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
In terms of the absolute crowning achievement, then I would have to say that beating Foreman was his greatest moment. Nearly all the boxing writers and insiders who had seen both men train thought Ali's time had passed and that Foreman was the future of the division. They were keeping their fingers crossed that Foreman would only knock him out and not kill him. What Ali pulled on that night is nothing short of magic and one of the great moments not only in boxing but sports history as a whole.

I think the Thrilla was exciting but Frazier by that time had less in him than Ali did. He took so much punishment against Foreman and all the other wars he had been in since the first fight against Ali that it is hard to compare him to the guy who beat Muhammad in their first fight. True, Ali had slowed down as well, but he hadn't taken nearly as many punches as Joe had in his career. The only thing that kept Frazier in that fight was his heart and conditioning, and the fact that Ali was never a big puncher.

marvdave
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Clay beating Liston and Ali beating Foreman were by far his greatest accomplishments. Nobody thought he would win either fight. He was looking pretty worn coming into the Foreman fight and dominated the invincable Foreman. He came into the Liston fight as an annoying young guy who nobody took serious and again dominated the "unbeatable" champ.

scottie
02-28-2005, 08:47 PM
where? :confused:
rope-a-dope can be applied to any sport, at least its principle, when you pretend to be in a disadvantage when you are not.

Atwa_66
02-28-2005, 10:23 PM
The Rumble In The Jungle I think was Ali's best fight. The Thrilla in Manilla was great, But the way the rumble ended for Ali was insane. They had the special on epsn classic today, I just finished watching it, very good presentation.

Imira
02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Thrilla' in Manilla is, in my opinion, Ali's best fight ever. Neither Ali nor Frazier would yield an inch and that fight raised the bar for what's expected of a champion in a title fight.

fist-of-fury
03-01-2005, 01:35 PM
They're equally great classics, and have different kind of excitement and thrill to offer, so it's hard to compare them really. Ali's the common denominator in both fights, but you'd see 2 completely different Ali's in there. :boxing:

BadMagick
03-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Thrilla was an awesome fight, but so was the other. It's so hard to decide which was "better." I'd probably go with Thrilla, though.

Verbl_Kint
03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
It would have to be the Thrilla. The Rumble showed what good technique and patience can get you. The thrilla was all about heart and tenacity.

hellfire508
03-01-2005, 11:56 PM
The first Frazier fight was the best Ali fight IMO. His best fight skills wise were certainly against Cleveland Williams, Zora Folley and Ernie Terrel, maybe the first Liston fight too. The biggest accomplishment IMO was the foreman fight, and the thriller in manila was great for the raw heart and determination. The most enjoyable fight of his to watch is probably the third Frazier...but there too many to choose from.
What a fighter he was...

czars_salad
03-04-2005, 07:11 AM
It would have to be the Thrilla. The Rumble showed what good technique and patience can get you. The thrilla was all about heart and tenacity.
you just said the right words for me bro!

i think intelligence and sports skill makes a successful athlete,
but, heart and determination against tremendous adversity makes a successful athlete be legendary

Mr.Talent
03-06-2005, 01:15 PM
gotta go with the Thrilla' in Manilla...it was the perfect fight, boxer vs slugger.

.::EnRiQuE::.
03-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Thrilla in Manila, for Ali-Fraizer 1 could not count as Ali's greatest fight cuz he lost that one ...

Ali won the Thrilla in Manilla by tko in the 14th. I have the tape at my house
but yea i say thrilla in manilla was a better fight than the ali formean fight.

cornerman
03-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Id have to go for the Thriller in Manilla just for the heart and will to win shown by both fighters. Both in this and their first fight they really brought the best out in each other.

SonnyG8R
03-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Clay beating Liston and Ali beating Foreman were by far his greatest accomplishments. Nobody thought he would win either fight. He was looking pretty worn coming into the Foreman fight and dominated the invincable Foreman. He came into the Liston fight as an annoying young guy who nobody took serious and again dominated the "unbeatable" champ.

Good Post; I agree. But The Thrilla was still my favorite Ali fight. Most entertaining.

kapersky
03-10-2005, 01:08 AM
thrilla of course

Dempsey 1919
10-26-2005, 05:44 PM
i agree. liston and foreman were both putty in the butterfly's hands.

Skydog
10-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Muhammad Ali

Greatest Win: George Foreman
Most Exciting Fight: Frazier I or III
Best Performance: Cleveland Williams
Worst Performance: Jimmy Young or Trevor Berbick

Dempsey 1919
10-26-2005, 11:34 PM
the rumble in the jungle was historic, but the thrilla in manila was a better fight and had better dynamics.

Skydog
10-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Watching the Thrilla in Manilla almost makes me cry. The heart, skills, agression, and guts displayed by two aging greats on that night is as good as it gets. Both men beat the hell out of eachother that night, and left their careers in that ring. Ali had Joe's face swollen like a balloon and was hitting him with shots he couldn't even see, while Joe beat Ali into a brutal submission where he could hardly stay awake in between rounds.

But maybe the greatest moment of the night is when Ali is being interviewed at the end, and can hardly speak, saying "He was definetley the best boxer after me," and "Joe brought out the best in me, and I thank him for that."

Frazier's 15th round
10-27-2005, 10:49 PM
They weren't ****ting when they said Ali fainted. If you watch closely, you can actually see him laying on the ground in the ring. They pick him up and put him on his stool.

I've seen the fight many times before, but I just noticed him passed out. I thought he fainted into someone's arms and they put him on the stool.

Dempsey 1919
10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
he fainted because he gave everything he got. he is a true champion.

Linx
10-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the first Ali fight was better than the Thriller? Anyway onto the topic, I'd go with Thriller in Manilla.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 02:00 PM
nope, his first fight wasn't better, and don't think im the only one who thinks that.

at the first one he wasnt actually 'ready' for Joe frazier, he was still rusty, but by the time they got to their 3rd fight ali was v.ready for frazier

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the first Ali fight was better than the Thriller? Anyway onto the topic, I'd go with Thriller in Manilla.
no, you are not the only one. i think ali-frazier I was the greatest boxing match of all time, with ali-frazier III a close second.

habZ
10-29-2005, 02:08 PM
He had 3 years off and like 7 months later he was fighting for the title :O

Dempsey 1919
10-29-2005, 02:10 PM
nope, his first fight wasn't better, and don't think im the only one who thinks that.

at the first one he wasnt actually 'ready' for Joe frazier, he was still rusty, but by the time they got to their 3rd fight ali was v.ready for frazier
ali wasn't ready yet, but the first fight was ten times as exciting as the third. at least ali wasn't boring us to death with the rope-a-dope in the first, but in the third he did.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 02:11 PM
they say that it should of took him like 2 years to become a contender for the title, whereas it took him under 7 months, he didnt have time to rest and take things more slowly and comfortably, this resulted in a 'unprepared ali' and if the Ali that faced foreman or the ali that faced frazier III, if it was him then i think ali would have been triumphant, but nevertheless it wasnt destined to happen.

Linx
10-29-2005, 02:16 PM

Ali fought better in the first first than the third IMO. He was younger and fresher than the battle worn version that fought Joe in Manilla. Also Ali had lost his leg speed. He was by no means shot, but he lost A LOT of leg speed in the first fight. In the third he was even more slower. The reason Ali won is because although both guys were past their best, Joe Frazier was shot. He got creamed by Foreman and Ali had beaten him pretty comfortably in the re-match.

Linx
10-29-2005, 02:20 PM
no, you are not the only one. i think ali-frazier I was the greatest boxing match of all time, with ali-frazier III a close second.

Yep, Two undefeated fighters with legit claims to the title. Frazier was primed, Ali was close enough to it. Awesome war between contasting styles with ones strenght anothers weakness and vice versa and a great ending. Ali actually got up at 4 after that monster left hook in the 15th.

fistlegend
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
yes, you have to give him his 'props' for getting up so quickly, most people would have been counted out

KidBlackie
10-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Ali will tell you the Foreman bout meant the most to him. He wasn't a legend before that fight. He was afterwards. He knows fans like his 3rd Frazier bout the best.

Frazier's 15th round
10-30-2005, 03:16 PM
I'd say the whole excuse that Ali wasn't ready for Frazier in FOTC is cancelled out by how bad Frazier was in Manila. He was half-blind, way past his best, fatter, slower, and after FOTC he even admitted that he left something in the ring that night. Frazier shouldn't have even been allowed to fight in 1975.

fistlegend
10-30-2005, 05:41 PM
not really, he did fight well that fight but ali was even better, he had a cataphract ever since he started boxing, but in that fight ali exposed it, because of his jabs, his head began to look like a hand grenade lol.

he was fatter, but so was ali.

Frazier's 15th round
10-30-2005, 07:21 PM
not really, he did fight well that fight but ali was even better

Same with the first fight, except the other way around. Ali fought well, but Frazier fought better. That's why the excuses of the layoff and half-blind cancel each other out.

habZ
10-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Thriller in the manilla is the best fight i ever saw, legends fighting their hearts out, ali finally showed respect to frazier after this fight.

Dempsey 1919
10-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Thriller in the manilla is the best fight i ever saw, legends fighting their hearts out, ali finally showed respect to frazier after this fight.
sorry, but the best fight i eva saw was the first fight. it was so much more exciting, not to mention the dynamics. just because ali lost, doesn't mean that that wasn't the better fight.

it was ali, coming back to claim what many people thought was rightfully his. but not against some patsy, against joe frazier, the quintessential killing machine that ran right through his opponents. it was also the first time two undefeated champions fought against each other.

the third one was an aging champion ali and an aging former champion going at it one more time, and giving it all they got. it was great, but it pales in comparison to ali-frazier I.

Skydog
10-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Rumble In The Jungle should not be a nominee for one of the greatest fights ever. To me, a great fight is where 2 fighters give it all they got, fighting a full, 15 or 12 round fight. And the winner is questionable. Although Thrilla was a KO, it showed to aging greats give it all they have, and beat the hell out of eachother.

habZ
10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
sorry, but the best fight i eva saw was the first fight. it was so much more exciting, not to mention the dynamics. just because ali lost, doesn't mean that that wasn't the better fight.

it was ali, coming back to claim what many people thought was rightfully his. but not against some patsy, against joe frazier, the quintessential killing machine that ran right through his opponents. it was also the first time two undefeated champions fought against each other.

the third one was an aging champion ali and an aging former champion going at it one more time, and giving it all they got. it was great, but it pales in comparison to ali-frazier I.

I find Ali-Frazier III to be the best because of the conditions they were fighting in. The temperature was well high, heart wise it is the best fight, i felt sorry for frazier when he lost.

Dempsey 1919
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
the story line and dynamics are better in ali-frazier I.

habZ
11-01-2005, 04:17 PM
yeah promotional wise it's much better

JMCbulls
11-01-2005, 10:25 PM
thrilla in manilla- even tho the rope-a-dope against foreman was great

THRILLAinmanila
11-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Need i say more ?? :D

czars_salad
11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
I find Ali-Frazier III to be the best because of the conditions they were fighting in. The temperature was well high, heart wise it is the best fight, i felt sorry for frazier when he lost.
there was no airconditioning at that time, hehe
and the coliseum was pack to the rafters

im talking about the thrilla in manila fight

Dempsey 1919
11-02-2005, 07:09 PM
fight of the century was truly da fight of da century!

habZ
11-02-2005, 07:11 PM
there was no airconditioning at that time, hehe
and the coliseum was pack to the rafters

im talking about the thrilla in manila fight

yeah thats crazy man, they both faught real hard :boxing:

Skydog
11-02-2005, 07:39 PM
In terms of competitiveness and suspense, where the old, long-lost champ coming to claim his crown from the machine who dominated the scene, definetly Fight of the Century.

To see 2 aging greats beat the living **** out of eachother, show more heart and courage than any other boxer ever, fight for their pride, and the tiebreaker of the legendary trilogy of the greatest sports rivalry ever, then Thrilla in Manilla is the one for you.

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
In terms of competitiveness and suspense, where the old, long-lost champ coming to claim his crown from the machine who dominated the scene, definetly Fight of the Century.

To see 2 aging greats beat the living **** out of eachother, show more heart and courage than any other boxer ever, fight for their pride, and the tiebreaker of the legendary trilogy of the greatest sports rivalry ever, then Thrilla in Manilla is the one for you.
they were both great fights, the two greates fights in my opinion of all time.

VERSION1 (V1)
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
In my eyes his first fight with Frazier will always stand out as the best.
yea that was

Dempsey 1919
11-10-2005, 02:44 PM
amen to that.