View Full Version : Shoulder Muscles

The Italian Stallion
02-27-2005, 01:04 PM
http://img157.exs.cx/img157/788/brocklesnar4pq.jpg
Do you see how Brock Lesnar has those muscles on his shoulders. Well, how do you get them?

theironone
02-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Do a **** load of shrugs for many years or do a few a day and swallow about a thousands pounds worth of gear!!!

Kid Achilles
02-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Those muscles are called traps (trapezius) and you can develop them by doing shrugs.

leff
02-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Too get those kinds off trpezius`s you need steroids.

The Italian Stallion
02-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Those muscles are called traps (trapezius) and you can develop them by doing shrugs.
I don't mean to sound like a n00b but how do you do a shrugs?

Kid Achilles
02-27-2005, 05:12 PM
http://www.leehayward.com/art27.htm

Ignore the picture of the huge guy demonstrating the exercise. He bends his elbows and thrusts his head forward. Bad form.

dino
02-27-2005, 06:07 PM
brock lesner is a weird man who probably gets off by lifting weights...chances are youll never have muscles like him

elveiel
02-27-2005, 06:26 PM
http://img157.exs.cx/img157/788/brocklesnar4pq.jpg
Do you see how Brock Lesnar has those muscles on his shoulders. Well, how do you get them?

Is this Brock Lesnar guy trying to look scary, for **** sake he's wearing a pair of swimming trunks!! :D

*elveiel hates steroid abusing *****

jack_the_rippuh
02-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Bill Goldberg's trapezius muscles were bigger..

DrDac
02-28-2005, 10:44 AM
His traps aren't that large, he is flexing them for one, go look in the mirror while flexing your own, you'll see that Brock's aren't THAT impressive.

And as everyone has already said, Shrugs build up the traps.
But, you can do many variations of a shrug: barbell, barbell behind the back, dumbbell, overhead shrug, "power" shrug (momentum), and I am sure theres more.

Dead lifts, upright rows, and olympic lifts also build the traps.

The Italian Stallion
02-28-2005, 05:41 PM
So which variation of the shrug works the fastest, and tell me how to do it please.

m00ks
02-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Shrugs and the T-bar

DrDac
02-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Stallion, all the shrugs mentioned in this thread work great if performed consistently and correctly. It is by no means necessary to performs more than 2 variations of shrugs in one workout, so just pick one or two of them and give them a try for a while...When you get bored with performing that technique of shrugs, switch it up to other variations listed.

I will search for a link that demonstrates various shrug techniques.

DrDac
02-28-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Traps

This site shows a good amount of the listed variations.

I don't think it talks about a "power shrug" nor "overhead shrug"

So I will try to explain the quickly, but by all means, try to find someone more qualified to explain them completely.

Power shrugs: the principle behind these is you use about 20% or so more weight than you use for regular shrugs when using good form. So lets say you have 225 on the barbell and are ready to perofrm your powershrugs. Deadlift the bar, stand up straight (bar hanging at waist) now squat/bend down ever so slightly, and explode upward with your hips, legs, and shrugging to your ears all in one motion. Repeat from the bar hanging at waist stage.

Overhead Shrugs: these are odd, most likely you havent seen anyone perform this exercise at your gym, but you never know. First off do not expect to use the weight you perform proper form shrugs with, you'll be using way less. Atleast I did. What percentage of weight you will use, just find out what works best for you. Okay, lets say you have 135 on the bar. Deadlift the bar and clean it to your shoulder level (or just clean if from the ground), as if you were in position to do standing military presses. Press the bar overhead. Keep the Bar locked out, over your head for the entire set. Now standing there with the bar locked out, shrug your shoulders up towards your ears. Repeat.
Its a pretty unorthadox exercise, so give it a try being cautious.

Pugnacious_Z
03-02-2005, 12:48 AM
lesnars traps are big but losts of ppl can get them

Slipx
03-02-2005, 10:59 AM
you do not need large traps to be a great puncher.
corrie sanders.

buff_mike10
03-02-2005, 11:27 PM
I remember in the second Tyson and Frank Bruno fight, Bruno's traps were HUGE. He looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger out there. Tyson showed him who's ring he was in though.

Slipx
03-03-2005, 11:05 AM
You gotta think, every time you punch, those huge traps will be asking your water reservior in your body for water, making you all the more tired with every punch.

thats why david tua tried to get u outta there early, he knew he was worthless post rd 3

hitman7hearns7
03-07-2005, 08:37 PM
any one seen bob sapp the K1 fighter hes got sum big traps

tino
03-07-2005, 08:55 PM
itallian stalion , is it really interesting and cool to look like a turtle ?

RwK
03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I don't mean to sound like a n00b but how do you do a shrugs?

Grab a barbell with at least 150 lbs on it. Lift it up to your thighs, like a stiff legged dead lift and shrug your shoulders like you are being asked a question you dont know.

.::EnRiQuE::.
03-07-2005, 09:03 PM
itallian stalion , is it really interesting and cool to look like a turtle ?
LoL...people do kinda look like a turtle when they get huge traps. :rofl:

boxer2k5
03-08-2005, 12:21 AM
having shoulders liek that will do nothign for u in boxing hahahaha

and yeah liek they said shruges with lots of weight

i hate that workout

Prospekt
03-16-2005, 12:02 AM
be careful when doing shrugs because although many can do very heavy high reps of shoulder shrugs you have to remember to face forward, do not bend elbows, and keep back straight. You should pause at the top for increases results.

mickst3r
03-16-2005, 12:12 AM
aigh tis been determined... shrugs are best for those... but y do u want them in the first place?

mickst3r
03-16-2005, 12:19 AM
www.speedbagcentral.com/Demos.html

that'll show you some variety... that guy is AMAZING

Echojaybird
03-16-2005, 08:30 AM
I think the muscles you want are deltoids. Deltoids help keep your arms up and, in my opinion, more useful in the sport of boxing.

Echo