View Full Version : Dwight Qawi

marvelous_TG
02-26-2005, 03:07 PM
What can you guys tell me about him i never saw him but i know he was a really short guy 5'7, and holyfield fought a war with him. But besides those things i don't know much about that guy what can you guys tell me about him?

Dynamite76
02-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Very Agressive little joker, beat up Saad Muhammad pretty bad, punked out against Spinks.

The Phantom Menace
02-26-2005, 10:14 PM
One of the best LHW of all time. Reminded me of Joe Frazier.

Kimmy
02-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Had a fight of the year war with Evander Holyfield in 1986. 15 Rds split dec for Holyfield. They had a rematch the following year but the first encounter had taken everything away from Quawi.
Dwight eventually moved to heavyweight. Beat some bums, lost to some bums, eventually Big Geoarge creamed him and finished him off. Great Lightheavy and crusierweight champ!

marvdave
02-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Qawi (Dwight Braxton) was a damn good light heavy. He should be in any conversation about top Light heavies. He was overshadowed by Spinks and gets forgotten. He was a tireless worker in his day. Very tough and with a huge heart. If you've only seen the Qawi that was a fat heavyweight, you haven't seen the real Qawi. He also was a damn good cruiser and fought Holy to a standstill in their classic first bout.

degenerate gambler's note: Spinks-Braxton was the first fight I ever bet on. My dad put a 10 spot on Braxton for me. ( I was underage) It was a foreshadowing for my gambling future it seems. I bet on Braxton to win a decision.. :mad:

JFB629
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Qawi was a extremely strong powerfull, hard hitting Light Heavyweight, and he was also a deceptively clever boxer with sound whiskers.

Qawi would work his way in behind his high gurad, slipping and rolling away from punchers and then banging with those strong arms, particularly his left hook. He would often overwhelm or were his man down into submission.

Qawi is also a pretty amazing story. He found boxing while in New Jersey's Rahway State Prison. He had no amature bouts and turned Pro at the age of 25.

He would often spar the likes of Philly hard man Bennie Briscoe in Smokin Joe Frazier***8217;s Philadelphia Gym. And them guys were known to be hard on sparring parthers.

Pretty amazing that Dwight was holding his own with them.

But he never got off to the best of starts in his Pro Career. In his fisrt three fights his record stood at 1-1-1. But things would change.

In a four year span Qawi was 18-0. In that span he defeated some of the best LHW fighters around, etc Mike Rossman, James Scott, and Jerry Martin.

But Qawi's most impressive victory at the weight was when he stopped reiging LHW King Matthew Saad Muhammad in 1981. Going into the fight Sadd had made 8 defences of his WBC Title.

Qawi overwhelmed him and stopped him in 10. He would then stop him in 6 in the rematch.

After defending his Title 3 times, he lost in a unifaction bout to Michael Spinks. He the moved up to CW and would go on to win the WBA title, stopping Piet Crous in 11.

He made one defence of the title defeating former Heavyweight Champion Leon Spinks. Before meeting the then unbeaten Evander Holyfield.

The fight was a back and fourth war. In which both men traded heavy leather. Qawi lost on a razor thin SD.

Qawi claims that for that fight Evander was juiced up. Saying ''It was a great fight, but I feel I was cheated in the fight. Cheated out of the win and cheated out of history. I remember before the fight, watching Holyfield fight Lionel Byarm, who was my sparring partner at the time. He could barely go the six rounds with him''.

''He was breathing real hard after just six rounds. In the fight with me, his corner definitely gave Holyfield something. I had him in the fourth and fifth rounds, if you watch the tape you***8217;ll see, but then, in round six, he came back on. He lost fifteen pounds in the fight and had to be hospitalised because his body was in shock. Back then I didn***8217;t really know too much about steroids and stuff, but now I definitely think he took something illegal. I know guys get a second wind, I used to myself, but that was not a second wind when he came on real strong late in the fight. He was throwing loads of punches like an amateur kid or something. It was crazy''.

After the first Holyfield fight Qawi was never quite the same. He was stopped in the rematch by Holyfield.

Qawi ended up eating himself to HW a division he should of never been in. George Foreman overpowered him in 7. He took the fight on short notice. He was ment to be facing Bert Cooper.

He then moved back down.

And he was still a capable enough fighter to take the then WBA CW champion Robert Daniels to a SD.

But after that it all went down hill. He won and lost to medicore oppostion for the next few years. He made a ill advised comeback in 1998 and was defeated on points.

He was inducted into the IBHOF in 2004.

MrMister
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm going to go find a thread from four years ago and bump it for attention,just because I can.

GJC
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm going to go find a thread from four years ago and bump it for attention,just because I can.
Or a genuinely new poster who is looking for old posts that interest him and writing a good post about them, because he can.
Welcome back poop, play nice this time round eh?

sonnyboyx2
11-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Braxton was a tough cookie who`s best perfornaces was against.
James Scott
Leon Spinks
Saad Muhammad (2)
Evander Holyfield (1)
Jerry Martin

Braxton fought a unification fight against Michael Spinks.. Spinks won on a `shut-out`saying in the after fight interview that he knew he would whip Braxton because Dwight had borrowed $20 from him several years earlier and never paid him it back.... Dwight was also well beaten by Mike"Bounty"Hunter who was a real treat to watch.

mrboxer
11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
What can you guys tell me about him i never saw him but i know he was a really short guy 5'7, and holyfield fought a war with him. But besides those things i don't know much about that guy what can you guys tell me about him?all he did was bob and weave and he was always on the receiving end of punches landing to his jaw,he was overrated rated and never beat anyone with a big name,he got schooled and lost to holyfield,and he got demolished against foreman,he is a miniture frazier,2 bob and weavers who were on the receiving end of taking too many shots:boxing:

sonnyboyx2
11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
all he did was bob and weave and he was always on the receiving end of punches landing to his jaw,he was overrated rated and never beat anyone with a big name,he got schooled and lost to holyfield,and he got demolished against foreman,he is a miniture frazier,2 bob and weavers who were on the receiving end of taking too many shots:boxing:

i take it Qawi is in yout Top 100

Lord Finesse
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
all he did was bob and weave and he was always on the receiving end of punches landing to his jaw,he was overrated rated and never beat anyone with a big name,he got schooled and lost to holyfield,and he got demolished against foreman,he is a miniture frazier,2 bob and weavers who were on the receiving end of taking too many shots:boxing:

You're forgetting that he was only about 5'6. That was very small for a light heavyweight/cruiserweight. The bob and weave style was perfect for a man of his size.

Here's some very good names on his record:

Matthew Saad Muhammad x2 (light heavyweight champion + hall of famer)
Mike Rossman (light heavyweight champion)
Leon Spinks (heavyweight champion)
Piet Crous (cruiserweight champion)
Lee Roy Murphy (cruiserweight champion)
Jerry Martin (good contender)
James Scott (good contender)

mrboxer
11-30-2009, 04:12 PM
when he was in the bob position he stood at roughly 5 foot even which made him easy target practice,the bob and weave has not been in existence since dwight and joe,joe tried it and dwight copied joe,so you had dwight and joe who were basically using the now defunct bob and weave:boxing:

Lord Finesse
11-30-2009, 04:20 PM
when he was in the bob position he stood at roughly 5 foot even which made him easy target practice,the bob and weave has not been in existence since dwight and joe,joe tried it and dwight copied joe,so you had dwight and joe who were basically using the now defunct bob and weave:boxing:

It's not defunct.

And what are you trying to prove? So what if he uses that style? He beat a lot of good opponents.

It was perfect for him because he was always the smaller man. The same with Frazier.

mrboxer
11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
what do you mean what am i trying to prove,i am not a pheasant,dwight and joe did not have a style[bob and weave]that was effective at times it was somewhat effective but the majority of the time they just got peppered with lefts, rights and unannounced jabs,:boxing:

Lord Finesse
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
what do you mean what am i trying to prove,i am not a pheasant,dwight and joe did not have a style[bob and weave]that was effective at times it was somewhat effective but the majority of the time they just got peppered with lefts, rights and unannounced jabs,:boxing:

I just don't get how you can say it wasn't effective.

Frazier won the heavyweight championship of the world and beat most of the top heavyweights of his time (including Ali). He only lost to two people in his whole career.

Qawi won titles in two different weight classes that were considered too big for a man of his size. He beat five world champions.

You have to admit that it must be effective if that's what they did.

Marcov
12-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Dwight had amazing defensive capabilities, especially for a shorter fighter. Amazing considering he was shorter than Ray Leonard but fought from 174-210. He was as tough as they come. I remember the early days when he was fighting Mike Rossman and James Scott(one of my favorites). Back then he seemed like any other shorter pressure fighter. It wasn't til he dismantled Saad Muhammad that his skills really showed for me.

Trenchant
12-01-2009, 03:10 AM
He beat some great fighters, he was light heavy champ in a very tough division at that time. spinks beat him with his master boxing and decent punch. Spinks had the combination needed to beat Qawi but if Spinks had'nt come along he would have had the title for quite awhile.

DeepSleep
12-01-2009, 03:35 AM

Defunct??? Mormeck dominated the cruiserweight division using the exact same style as Qawi and Frazier. You must not watch too much boxing…

mrboxer
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
never heard of him,i have seen dwight and joe a lot and the bob and weave is not my thing,they were both short,and when they were in the bob position they got leveled with uppercuts and when they were in the weave position they got hammered with barrages of lefts and rights:boxing:

BG_Knocc_Out
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Mr. Boxer, you should really take a strong look at their fights. Have you ever been in the ring? I myself somewhat implement the bob & weave techniques to my style and the work perfect for setting up counters and hooks effectively. Frazier's left hook wouldn't be so strong without the bob & weave style. And also, they don't get "leveled" as often as you think, whenever Ali would shoot a straight punches and hooks at Frazier during his bob & weaving tactics, he would easily miss, hit the top of Fraziers head, or hit hit his gloves (Frazier had a cross defense where he held his arms up horizontally as he would go down, covering his face.) This style also almost nuetralizes body attacks also, seeing as how they would lean forward and keep their bodies at a safe distance to their opponents arm length. You can't just say they got leveled with shots, try to make your posts credible.

Gojira
12-01-2009, 07:12 PM
his fight with foreman was hilarious. george looked like he wasnt even botherd and qawi couldnt beat him. the face of george though when he was battering qawi, it was like he was reading the paper.