View Full Version : heavyweigths who punched the hardest to the body from liston to now

lmnorw
02-26-2005, 02:14 PM
i would say foreman.he didnt go to the body alot but when he did it was very affective

cple
02-26-2005, 02:51 PM
NOBODY went to the body with more consistency and determination than Joe Frazier. The greatest bodypunching heavyweight of all-time, imo. However, he was more of an accumilation puncher.

Shot for shot, Foreman and Tyson threw some vicious shots to the midsection.

lmnorw
02-27-2005, 06:18 PM
yeah i should of said shot for shot who hits the hardest not who went to the body more..if you want to see a good example of what i mean watch the second frazier foreman fight..when the hit joe to the body he dropped his elbows

fight fan
02-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Max Baer may have been the hardest hitting heavyweight in history! If not for his clowning and playboy lifestyle taking him away from any serious training he may have done much more! He pulverized his opponents with punches to the body and head. 2 of Max's opponents died due to beatings they sustained in their matches with Max.

BadMagick
02-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Marciano's got to be up there.

"When Marciano was destroying all challengers with his blockbuster assault, the U.S. Testing Co. was asked to measure the power of Rocky's wallop. Its findings:
"Marciano's knockout blow packs more explosive energy than an armour-piercing bullet and represents as much energy as would be required to spot lift 1000 pounds one foot off the ground." Boxing Illustrated December 1963"

I can't see someone hitting much harder than that.

Kid Achilles
02-27-2005, 08:43 PM
For one punch power I would say George Foreman.

All around best bodypunching and inside fighting ability goes to both Louis and Dempsey.

czars_salad
02-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Marciano's got to be up there.

"When Marciano was destroying all challengers with his blockbuster assault, the U.S. Testing Co. was asked to measure the power of Rocky's wallop. Its findings:
"Marciano's knockout blow packs more explosive energy than an armour-piercing bullet and represents as much energy as would be required to spot lift 1000 pounds one foot off the ground." Boxing Illustrated December 1963"

I can't see someone hitting much harder than that.
i'd seen a special on boxing greats and snaps of marciano's fights are very telling that this guy depended heavily on body punches to win fights. he was like a raging bull!

buff_mike10
02-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Yea, Rocky hit with bombs. At 180 pounds, i think its safe to say he was the hardest puncher pound for pound.

dempseyfire
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Foreman actually went to the body quite often and was devastating. He gets my vote. Liston also loved to wail away with both hands at opponentīs midsections when they tried to clinch him, and you could tell those punches were HARD. Wouldīve loved to see Ruiz try his hug-a-thon style against Sonny Liston . .

lmnorw
02-28-2005, 03:41 PM
ummm i said from liston to now so that dont include marciano or baer..the gloves from back then werent really that cushioned..so comparing guys who wore small gloves ,fought alot of small guys and who didnt fight many of the best black fighters isnt really race is it?so please name only people from liston to today please :)

chicagofan
02-28-2005, 04:52 PM
From liston till now. Frazier and Tyson were devistating body punchers
Aaron Pryor is one of the missing links here, he was so good he didnt often get a chance to prove himself he frightened other fighters and who was that boring champ who overwhelmed most everyone he fought o yeah Larry Holmes

Imira
03-01-2005, 12:32 AM
For one punch power I would say George Foreman.

All around best bodypunching and inside fighting ability goes to both Louis and Dempsey.

I'm with you on this one.

dingus
03-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Holyfield was a good body puncher. He had a nice left to the body to set up his shots to the head.

Verbl_Kint
03-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Smokin Joe Frazier and Rocky Marciano are the best for me.

leff
03-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Smokin Joe Frazier and Rocky Marciano are the best for me.

Yeah me too especially marciano he went to the arms and shoulders too.

He hit every thing there was to hit and broke bones that way.

Imira
03-03-2005, 06:35 PM
But, from Liston to now, I have to go with Foreman, Lyle and Shavers. Bonavena gets a nod too.

Grunge54
03-03-2005, 06:51 PM
undefinedundefinedundefined :boxing: I would have to say from time to time Tommy Morrison left hook to the body was up there just as a honorable mention.

Hydro
04-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Frazier And Tyson

Verstyle
04-04-2006, 01:07 AM
i saw cooney do some serious body shots. i think with his right hand. correct me if im wrong

mokele
04-14-2006, 06:03 AM
I haven't seen enough Jack Dempsey to make a comparison, but among the heavyweights I've seen, Foreman, Frazier and Tyson were the best body punchers. Frazier and Tyson depended on it more than Foreman, but Foreman's thudding body blows could take the wind out of a guy. A body shot by Foreman against Norton was the beginning of the end of Ken in that fight. Supposedly, Foreman's body shots did some damage to Ali's kidneys in their fight.

Early in Tyson's career, he was a far better body puncher than he was later on. He could break a man down with his hooks to the body. A good example was his fight against Michael Spinks, where 1 heavy body shot essentially ended the fight.

Frazier knocked out Jerry Quarry with 1 body shot in their 2nd fight. He went to the body a lot against Ali too, but Ali could take body shots like no other.

DudeManGuy216
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
i think Tyson or Frazier.
In the first Ruddock fight Tyson's body shots just caused Ruddock's legs to turn to jelly.they hurt me
Frazier was a body destroyer that doubled his shots up on the body and head. he also used to grunt when hitting someone. badass

Islandboy3
04-14-2006, 01:43 PM
I would have to go with the Iron Mike. Out of all the people listed here he was the smallest. If mike was the size of Forman just imagine what he would have done. He not only had power but speed.3,4,5 punches to the body. And we all know how effective he was when he circled to his right moving around his opponent then throwing a perfect right hook to the body which caused opponents to freeze and drop there hands then comes the most vicious uppercut. End of story.

XionComrade
04-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Gerry Cooney blows them all away. Where Shavers had the hardest upstairs Cooney had the hardest downstairs.

Skydog
04-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Hardest, probably Foreman. But the best body attack since Liston? Definetly Frazier.

Come on, this is a no contest. I really think that if Frazier went to the body more in FOTC and Thrilla In Manilla that he could have KO'ed Ali. He almost had Ali quitting after a bunch of headshots. Think if he had went to the body more that night. Ali would most likely have quit.

After Frazier, either Foreman or Tyson.

Dempsey 1919
04-15-2006, 01:51 AM
well, since george foreman punches the hardest, then i guess that would mean he punched the hardest to the body, i guess. :confused: so i will say george foreman. tyson and frazier deserve a mention as well.

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 03:16 AM
well, since george foreman punches the hardest, then i guess that would mean he punched the hardest to the body, i guess. :confused: so i will say george foreman. tyson and frazier deserve a mention as well.

punching power from the body and face r totally different strengths my friend ;)

The_One77
04-18-2006, 09:01 PM
joe, rocky and tyson
all similar styles, and all great body punchers
George too

Pugnacious_Z
04-19-2006, 12:43 AM
from everything ive read and seen, i would say Cooney is up there with the best, if u dont believe me, watch Cooney Vs Lyle and you'll know what im talking about.

Azteca
04-19-2006, 12:45 AM
my initial thought was chuvalo. unlike popular belief, he was a vicious body puncher. perhaps one of the best.

tommyhearns804
04-19-2006, 03:00 AM
Tyson in his prime was about 220 to 225 Foreman in this prime was 220 to 230.So Foreman wasn't bigger than Tyson.And who did Tyson fight that could compare to the guys Foreman fought?
Rocky Marciano was a joke.A bum.Did he fight any 220 plus pound fighters period?Nope.Did Joe Louis?Nope.The person who made this post said who was the most effectice.Not who is more popular or who threw to the body the most.
Cooney was good but using his fight with Lyle is hilarious.Lyle was washed up by that point.Foreman had already knocked him out so did Ali and i believe a couple of other guys did the trick.
And Comrade how many times do i have to say this.Did you fight Shavers?Nope but Ali did and he said Foreman was the hardest puncher he fought period and since he fought Shavers to that would mean Foreman punched harder than him.
So anyway it has to be between Foreman or Tyson.Not many heavyweights since Liston went to the body much.Most fighters were or are head hunters.Even the so called great Ali never worked the body which would of helped him out in alot of his fights.
Oh and by the way the topic again is fighters since Sonny Liston.So that means Louis and Marciano shouldn't be mentioned at all.

Yaman
04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Tyson in his prime was about 220 to 225 Foreman in this prime was 220 to 230.So Foreman wasn't bigger than Tyson.And who did Tyson fight that could compare to the guys Foreman fought?
Rocky Marciano was a joke.A bum.Did he fight any 220 plus pound fighters period?Nope.Did Joe Louis?Nope.The person who made this post said who was the most effectice.Not who is more popular or who threw to the body the most.
Cooney was good but using his fight with Lyle is hilarious.Lyle was washed up by that point.Foreman had already knocked him out so did Ali and i believe a couple of other guys did the trick.
And Comrade how many times do i have to say this.Did you fight Shavers?Nope but Ali did and he said Foreman was the hardest puncher he fought period and since he fought Shavers to that would mean Foreman punched harder than him.
So anyway it has to be between Foreman or Tyson.Not many heavyweights since Liston went to the body much.Most fighters were or are head hunters.Even the so called great Ali never worked the body which would of helped him out in alot of his fights.
Oh and by the way the topic again is fighters since Sonny Liston.So that means Louis and Marciano shouldn't be mentioned at all.

Actually, Ali said Shavers hit the hardest, same as Norton and some other fighters.

King Koyle
04-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah I agree with Cple,definetly Joe Frazier.But the runner up
would be Marciano.

Kid Achilles
04-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Rocky Marciano was a joke.A bum.Did he fight any 220 plus pound fighters period?Nope.Did Joe Louis?Nope.

Hello ****ingmoron804, good to see you've been losing some brain cells since the last time we talked. Louis fought several men over 220, and 250 pounds for that matter. Even a complete degenerate idiot like you should be able to check boxrec.com.

Dempsey 1919
04-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Hello ****ingmoron804, good to see you've been losing some brain cells since the last time we talked. Louis fought several men over 220, and 250 pounds for that matter. Even a complete degenerate idiot like you should be able to check boxrec.com.

he has you on ignore, so he won't be able to read your post.

kjellho
04-20-2006, 01:52 AM
forman, tyson, frazier. in that exact order.