View Full Version : 20" Neck

buff_mike10
02-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Whats the secret to getting a huge muscular neck like Mike Tysons. Any special workouts he did?

Kid Achilles
02-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Genetics first and foremost, and also bridging. I know for sure he did bridging as I've seen footage of it.

Also roids.

buff_mike10
02-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Yea, i guess genetics do play a big roll. Probably hard to go from 16-20 without steroids.

jack_the_rippuh
02-24-2005, 10:09 PM
You can always get impants..

Slipx
02-24-2005, 11:27 PM
i heard some 310 lb guy broke his neck and is now paralyzed from doing those bridges,so fat asses,dont get a hair up your asses and roll out a towel and just try to do it..imagine ****ing yourself up like that over a dumb exercise

me i've done em but I prefer using a head harness with weights

DrDac
02-24-2005, 11:41 PM
There is some sort of Nautilaus (sp?) exercise machine that you sit in and and work your neck all 4 ways with weighted resistence.

I prefer using this machine over doing neck bridges, I have managed to progress to using the entire stack on the machine, and still have a wimpy neck at about 16.5 inches.

So I'm gonna go with good genetics with this one also.

Kid Achilles
02-24-2005, 11:54 PM
16.5" is a good neck size if your under 6' tall. You really don't want a neck that's too much bigger than that, unless you have a huge head.

fist-of-fury
02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
According to study, it's not actually the chin but a strong neck that helps absorb the impact of an incoming punch, thereby preventing a possible knockout.

Consider Evander Holyfield who's a small HW. Despite his smaller size, Holyfield has always been able to withstand the punishment inflicted from much larger opponents. If you observe his neck, you'll see why he can sustain such punishment. Evanderís neck is rippled with muscles, the reason why he can withstand such a solid punch.

In addition to genetics, there are exercises that help develop and strenthen the neck, like the neck bridges and neck curls. Accidents do happen but as in all forms of exercises, one has to be careful and well warmed up. :cool:

Kid Achilles
02-25-2005, 12:04 AM
The neck is one factor but look at Bob Sapp...

buff_mike10
02-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Yea, it seems like the guys with the huge muscular necks don't go down as much. Did anyone see Buster Douglas rollin Tysons head back over his 20" neck. Thats one knockout i'll never forget

abdiel2k3
02-25-2005, 12:53 AM
Yea, it seems like the guys with the huge muscular necks don't go down as much. Did anyone see Buster Douglas rollin Tysons head back over his 20" neck. Thats one knockout i'll never forget
so lemme get this strait
your in a boxing forum
askin if anyone saw when mike tyson got KTFO
:confused:

MikeHunt
02-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Whats the secret to getting a huge muscular neck like Mike Tysons. Any special workouts he did?

Doesn't Buff Mike have a big neck? I'll bet Jose Canseco can help Buff Mike.................I sound like Roy Jones talking in 3rd person. lol

RwK
02-25-2005, 01:50 AM
The neck is one factor but look at Bob Sapp...

:)

His neck is as big as anyone on earth. Yet he can absolutely not take a punch whatsoever.

Slipx
02-25-2005, 02:08 AM
yep.

also look at george foreman's neck, it's tiny.

evander treated his head like a mounted speed bag, lol, didnt even get wobbled

Slipx
02-25-2005, 02:21 AM
According to study, it's not actually the chin but a strong neck that helps absorb the impact of an incoming punch, thereby preventing a possible knockout.

Consider Evander Holyfield who's a small HW. Despite his smaller size, Holyfield has always been able to withstand the punishment inflicted from much larger opponents. If you observe his neck, you'll see why he can sustain such punishment. Evanderís neck is rippled with muscles, the reason why he can withstand such a solid punch.

In addition to genetics, there are exercises that help develop and strenthen the neck, like the neck bridges and neck curls. Accidents do happen but as in all forms of exercises, one has to be careful and well warmed up. :cool:

if you are gonna quote rossboxing, put a works cited in there, otherwise it makes you look bad.

marvelous_TG
02-25-2005, 05:22 AM
if you are gonna quote rossboxing, put a works cited in there, otherwise it makes you look bad.
hehehe :cool:

Slipx
02-25-2005, 03:15 PM

busters right uppercut echoed through the tokyo dome like a gunshot

bigdlb12
02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
I am 5'9" and have 17.5"

"

MikeHunt
02-25-2005, 05:41 PM
I am 5'9" and have 17.5"

"

LOL 5'9" and a 17 1/2 inch wankerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..Put it away already.

Pugnacious_Z
03-01-2005, 05:44 AM
i dont believe dat u have to be genetic freak to have 20inch neck. my bro is naturally skinny guy byt now hes 170 pounds and 6ft/ his neck used to be 16 inches. now its 18 inches. and dats after like a month of neck workouts. so 20 inches weighing 220pounds+ isnt really hard

Pugnacious_Z
03-01-2005, 05:46 AM
and one more thing. i wud like to ask one question. does any1 here know how they measure professional boxers necks? is it while leaning ur head back or just standing straight normally. becoz it increases ur neck size by an inche or so?

tino
03-01-2005, 05:57 AM
makes me think about the song

"my neck my back lick my p... and my ..."

Kid Achilles
03-01-2005, 09:46 AM
They measure it with the neck flexed, as big as the fighter can make it. The same with any other measurement, except for the chest which is taken both relaxed and expanded.

Kid Achilles
03-01-2005, 09:48 AM
"i dont believe dat u have to be genetic freak to have 20inch neck. my bro is naturally skinny guy byt now hes 170 pounds and 6ft/ his neck used to be 16 inches. now its 18 inches. and dats after like a month of neck workouts. so 20 inches weighing 220pounds+ isnt really hard"

Okay well where are all the people with 20" necks if it's so easy?

buff_mike10
03-01-2005, 10:59 AM
i dont believe dat u have to be genetic freak to have 20inch neck. my bro is naturally skinny guy byt now hes 170 pounds and 6ft/ his neck used to be 16 inches. now its 18 inches. and dats after like a month of neck workouts. so 20 inches weighing 220pounds+ isnt really hard
If your brothers neck grew 2 inches in one month he's either using steroids or you are exaggerating.

Slipx
03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
i think in order to have a neck around 20" you need to be a heavyweight, a middleweight with a huge neck like that would look like an alien..

i just measured mine and it's like 19.2 inches, we used to have a neck harness in the field house but I didn't really even use it that much,

i think neck size and strength is dependant on your head size, because most baseball caps dont fit me ;-)

Kid Achilles
03-01-2005, 02:10 PM
It is very much dependant on head size. George Foreman neck, which someone called skinny, is actually 20 inches. He just has a HUGE body and large head so those 20" don't seem as impressive in comparison.

All measurements are relative to body size. Tyson actually has a pretty small body, and his biceps were not much bigger than Dempsey's were. It's just that Dempsey had a taller, larger frame and wider shoulders so his arms seemed much skinnier in comparison to the rest of his body than Tyson's bulging limbs.

GhostInMachines
01-06-2008, 03:54 PM
and one more thing. i wud like to ask one question. does any1 here know how they measure professional boxers necks? is it while leaning ur head back or just standing straight normally. becoz it increases ur neck size by an inche or so?

thought i would just bump this up instead of re-post the thread.. is this true? do you measure it normal or flexed? if thats true my neck is about 19.5" flexed but I feel like it's your regular size they record

TheGreatA
01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsite/games/pc/sim/playboy_the_mansion_butterbean.jpg
What about having NO neck?

El Chicano
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Yep, the key to a great chin is in the neck, however a fighter should always have his mouth closed and tight when hit directly on the chin, a loose chin is disasterous in boxing. Watch Fernando Vargas, he always had his mouth open. Also, good eyes, reflexes to be able to prepare your body for the punch and strong legs for when the punch makes ur legs rubberbandish.

DIOS DOMINICANO
01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Genetics first and foremost, and also bridging. I know for sure he did bridging as I've seen footage of it.

Also roids.

I bridged since I was 14. My neck got strong...but never big.

You know how some guys can work calves like crazy but they never grow? I think necks are like that.

I can get bigger...but not my neck. By contrast, I see some football players who are ALL neck, but can't develop elsewhere.

Tyson Jones
01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah to the guy who said his bro gained 2 inched to his neck in a month. Thats a lie. Im sorry but it is. Floyd mayweather does hardcore neck exercises and over a 2 month period span, his neck only grew 1/4 inches in diameter. And I doubt your bro worked his neck like floyd did.

Tyson was born with a huge neck, however, he did increase the strength of it by his crazy bridging.