View Full Version : Joe Grim- Geatest Chin Ever

Kid Achilles
02-23-2005, 02:55 AM
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=010815

Check it out. This guy was superhuman.

M26
02-23-2005, 04:45 AM
Yeah, I´ve heard about this guy. He got kinda famous as the man who "couldn´t be knocked out".

stix
02-23-2005, 06:48 AM
If ever there was a human punching bag, this guy has got to be it! That's the worst fight record I've ever seen. :scared:

oldgringo
02-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Marvin Hagler.

tnf1400
02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
whats NWS stand for?

dempseyfire
02-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Joe Grim had an IRON will and heart, and a great beard. He was knocked down dozens upon dozens of times. Under todays rules and referees he wouldve been TKO´d a whole lot more. He sure could take punishment but def. not the greatest chin ever . . .

Kid Achilles
02-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Maybe not, but when neither Fitzsimmons nor Jack Johnson can keep you down when they are hitting you at will, you are an exceptional human being. Remember that this guy had NO defense in the truest sense of the word. Not in the Tex Cobb definition where you merely take much more than you give but still slip the ocassional right hand. This guy simply had nothing going for him but toughness and had no business being in the ring with any of the guys he fought, skill wise.

Someone mentioned Halger but compared to this guy Hagler was Willie Pep. If Hagler ate all of the shots this guy ate, he would have went down dozens of times as well just by the sheer accumulation of the damage.

oldgringo
02-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe not, but when neither Fitzsimmons nor Jack Johnson can keep you down when they are hitting you at will, you are an exceptional human being. Remember that this guy had NO defense in the truest sense of the word. Not in the Tex Cobb definition where you merely take much more than you give but still slip the ocassional right hand. This guy simply had nothing going for him but toughness and had no business being in the ring with any of the guys he fought, skill wise.

Someone mentioned Halger but compared to this guy Hagler was Willie Pep. If Hagler ate all of the shots this guy ate, he would have went down dozens of times as well just by the sheer accumulation of the damage.

Hagler didn't have to eat all of the shots...because he was a better boxer with defense. Hagler ate some MONSTEROUS punches from some of the hardest p4p punchers EVER. Specifically a right cross from Hearns that would have decapitated most and a hellacious uppercut from Mugabi that would KO a T-Rex...and he walked right through them. This guy was for the most part being hit by tomato cans. Can you ever remember Hagler being visibly hurt? I sure can't. Best chin ever.

Kid Achilles
02-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Hagler never fought any all time great heavyweights, did he? Grim was a natural middleweight who fought men of any size. I'm not denying Haglers chin (he took some wicked shots) but he had a lot of other things going for him as well. He did not take anywhere near as many punches as Grim did and not from men who outweighed him as much as Grim's opponents did.

Of course Grim was knocked down many times; he had no defense. If Hagler let guys wail on him (especially heavyweights!) like Grim did he would have been dropped eventually to. Also, theres a huge difference in getting occasionally hit by a guy like Hearns in the course of a fight and having him tee off on you because you have no defense.

George Foreman was once knocked down by a lightweight in one of his first sparring sessions. If you don't know how to defend yourself, you will get dropped, even if you have a great chin. I wouldn't count all those knockdowns against Grim's chin seeing as he was such a lousy, unskilled pug facing historical greats who were phenomenal punchers.

Yogi
02-24-2005, 03:12 PM
The record that boxrec has of Grim is not nearly complete (as is the case with many fighters from those early days), as he had about three times as many fights than what is giving credit for on that site.

The Ring did a story on Grim about twelve years ago, and they also included a much more detailed fight record of his in it. Joe Grim actually had closer to 250/300 fights and even though he lost the vast majority of them, he won a lot more than only the three that boxrec gives him credit for (from memory, his record was something like 35/40 wins and 200+ losses).

buff_mike10
02-24-2005, 09:27 PM
You guys ever heard of Chuck Wepner, remember what Ali did to that guy, i'd say his chin is pretty solid.

Kid Achilles
02-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Wepner was a tough, tough guy. Muhammad may have given him a pasting but the job Liston did on him makes the Ali fight seem like a playground scrap.

To quote the man himself...

“Nobody ever hit me like he (Liston) did. I was never intimidated until I met him. Everytime he hit me he broke something. He broke my cheekbone, my nose and gave me 72 stitches. I was an intimidator until I met him.”

Jungleboy
02-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Oliver McCall has a great chin! Apparently over 300 rounds of sparing with tyson and never down ( not sure how reliable my sources are? ) And watching him repeatedly charge at and head butt Lennox lewis's strait right hand then shake his head as if it meant nothing when he had a mental breakdown in there second fight was an odd spectical :eek:

Kid Achilles
02-25-2005, 09:23 PM
McCall has the best chin since Mercer IMO.

czars_salad
02-26-2005, 07:17 AM
i believe hagler has the best chin of all, never been downed

lmnorw
02-26-2005, 12:44 PM
having a great chin means you get hit with huge punches and never go down like chuvalo not getting hit by just average punches and get knocked down but you just get back up..that just means he had alot of heart.big heart but no so great of a chin

wmute
02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
whats NWS stand for?

newspaper decision

lmnorw
02-27-2005, 05:06 PM
wepner was probably just being nice about liston ..liston did give him a beating but liston died soon after they fought..foreman fought wepner and stopped him in 3 and it took sonny 9 rounds so evidently foreman hit him harder..and dont say styles make fights because the point is both hit him and he couldnt last as long as he did with foreman as he did with liston but anyways wepner was a damn tough man..neighther liston or foreman put him down.i believe the only man to drop him was ali..great chin but chuvalo again has never been knocked down

The Jackal
09-20-2008, 01:38 PM
wepner was probably just being nice about liston ..liston did give him a beating but liston died soon after they fought..foreman fought wepner and stopped him in 3 and it took sonny 9 rounds so evidently foreman hit him harder..and dont say styles make fights because the point is both hit him and he couldnt last as long as he did with foreman as he did with liston but anyways wepner was a damn tough man..neighther liston or foreman put him down.i believe the only man to drop him was ali..great chin but chuvalo again has never been knocked down
what about jake la motta 107 pro fights never kod & mixed it with sugar ray robinson 6 times

The Jackal
09-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Jake la Motta has da hardest chin ever as voted by da ring he was never knocked down & fought the great sugar ray Robinson 6 times when sugar ray was in his prime la Motta da fact he was weight drained is even more testament how good his chin was Robinson worked him with 1 god almighty beating & he was never knocked down he shouted at Robinson u cant do it u cant put me down & he never did.

Southpaw Stinger
09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
And George Chuvalo needs a mention, so he does.

The Jackal
09-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Chuvalo took some shots great fighter to go in with the men he did.
But il stick with Jake la motta an awful class difference between chuvalo / la motta

KostyaTszyu44
09-20-2008, 07:26 PM
whats NWS stand for?

newspaper decision...i think

im pretty sure sometimes in the old days the newspapers would announce the winner...not 100 % though

sugarshanenas
09-20-2008, 07:40 PM
lamotta was down once in his entire career by danny nardico but by that time he was pretty much out of his prime and drinking and other bad habits had caught up to him...

but imo lamotta had the best chin ever

TheGreatA
09-20-2008, 07:45 PM
lamotta was down once in his entire career by danny nardico but by that time he was pretty much out of his prime and drinking and other bad habits had caught up to him...

but imo lamotta had the best chin ever

LaMotta took a brutal beating from Nardico but the knockdown looked more like a push than a punch atleast on film.

It seemed like LaMotta was off balance when Nardico landed the right that put Jake down.

sugarshanenas
09-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I've never seen the video before, is it a clip or a video?

TheGreatA
09-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I've never seen the video before, is it a clip or a video?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ta3GFGc250E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ta3GFGc250E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
LaMotta knocked down at 9:12

sugarshanenas
09-20-2008, 08:36 PM
thanks
+repped

Dynamite76
09-22-2008, 10:07 AM
And George Chuvalo needs a mention, so he does.

So do Tex Cobb, Oliver McCall, Mitch Green, and Juan LaPorte.

The Jackal
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
good point man.
maybe theres fruit for thought of carlos monzon who was only knocked down once in a 101 fight career & it was only a flash knock down like la mottas

BattlingNelson
09-22-2008, 11:58 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ta3GFGc250E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ta3GFGc250E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
LaMotta knocked down at 9:12
Thanks for posting.

That was ugly. Lamotta holding the rope with one hand and just taking haymaker after haymaker. Brutal. That fight would have been stopped a lot earlier today.

ABOSWORTH
09-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for posting.

That was ugly. Lamotta holding the rope with one hand and just taking haymaker after haymaker. Brutal. That fight would have been stopped a lot earlier today.

Definitely would have been stopped earlier today. Isn't holding the rope, illegal now as well?

Arka
09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
He's been mentioned previously but George Chuvalo had a great chin.He was genetically gifted but always to fight in shape.I remember seeing him in the UK on ESPN,taliking with Bert Sugar.Apparently he was never knocked down either in sparring or actual fights.To condition and strengthen his neck, he used to do wrestler's bridges.
Oliver McCall too was very gifted-him and Ray Mercer.It's a pity they didn't have half decent boxing brains...they could have been outstanding.