View Full Version : are pinoys hispanic too?

No Ceiling
08-04-2009, 01:18 AM
https://jspivey.wikispaces.com/file/view/large-spanish-empire.jpg

pilipinas, a former colony of spain

http://acegem.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/vigan02.jpg

BoxingChaos
08-04-2009, 01:35 AM
I enjoy Filipinos who still speak Spanish, they are so cool. It's mostly the older folk but they are good people.
:boxing:

Alexandros
08-04-2009, 02:15 AM
hispanic pinoy are only a minority, im one of them :luvbed: :wave:

Section8Studios
08-04-2009, 02:45 AM
Who ever is from a country that was colonized by Spain is Hispanic,..
the spaniards had a habit of mixing with the locals no matter who they were.
So filipinos are the asian hispanics of Latinasia

AztecWanker
08-04-2009, 03:12 AM
From my knowledge, Hispanics are spanish speaking people of Latin America (carribbean, north, central and south america) of Spanish descent.

One - Shot
08-04-2009, 04:23 AM
my grandpa is half spanish, but we dont speak spanish we speak chavacano.

BOLLOCKS
08-04-2009, 04:24 AM
hispanic pinoy are only a minority, im one of them :luvbed: :wave:

1%%%%%%%%%

Solitario
08-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Well terms like Hispanic or Latino do not specifically refer to race therefore an Asian can be considered hispanic if the individual identifies as such. Filipinos have also been influenced by Spanish/Mexican culture to a certain degree- from their language, food, to religion.

MaD vEiN
08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Pinoys are more Americanized rather than Hispanic in terms of culture influence

Probably because americans introduced democracy to our lifestyle

Spain treated us as lowlife indios

just my 2 cents :D

Alexandros
08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
1%%%%%%%%%

wrong its proabably high as 5% means there about aprrox 4million. :boxing:

Katz
08-04-2009, 09:10 AM
my grandpa is a half Spanish.. he thought me some espanyol before when i was a kid..

most of the mixed-spanish bloodied pinoys are rich and owns big chuncks of lands.. :lol1:

Cleto_Reyes
08-04-2009, 03:27 PM
no way!!!!!!!

Animalistic 2.0
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
No he is a midget from Asia!

BOLLOCKS
08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
wrong its proabably high as 5% means there about aprrox 4million. :boxing:

Nah, 1.5% at the most.

True Story.

steeluv
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
If u think about it pure Spanish Blooded Mexicans are few and far between mainly are a mix of spanish and indigneous Mexican tribes, Cubans are a mix of spanish, african and all others, So if u phillipino and have some spanish blood and u can speak spanish u can be class your self as latino I think

BOLLOCKS
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
If u think about it pure Spanish Blooded Mexicans are few and far between mainly are a mix of spanish and indigneous Mexican tribes, Cubans are a mix of spanish, african and all others, So if u phillipino and have some spanish blood and u can speak spanish u can be class your self as latino I think

Yeah, Most Mexicans are Mixed with Native and Euro. A good 9% are of 100% European decent. That's over 10 million white Mexicans that look like HTownTexan. Most Pinoys are just Native.

Mexico ***8212; Ethnic Groups: Mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%

Philippines ***8212; Ethnic Groups: Tagalog 28.1%, Cebuano 13.1%, Ilocano 9%, Bisaya/Binisaya 7.6%, Hiligaynon Ilonggo 7.5%, Bikol 6%, ...

Alexandros
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah, Most Mexicans are Mixed with Native and Euro. A good 9% are of 100% European decent. That's over 10 million white Mexicans that look like HTownTexan. Most Pinoys are just Native.

Mexico — Ethnic Groups: Mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%

Philippines — Ethnic Groups: Tagalog 28.1%, Cebuano 13.1%, Ilocano 9%, Bisaya/Binisaya 7.6%, Hiligaynon Ilonggo 7.5%, Bikol 6%, ...

i know a lot of people that are having hispanic blood in philippines some of my friends and classmate and even those training at the boxing gym have hispanic blood u can see it in their physical appearance of course and facial structure.... that 1.5% is just racial B.S. i would put it to 5% or even 7% for number of filipino with hispanic. :sombrero:

BOLLOCKS
08-06-2009, 10:07 AM
i know a lot of people that are having hispanic blood in philippines some of my friends and classmate and even those training at the boxing gym have hispanic blood u can see it in their physical appearance of course and facial structure.... That 1.5% is just racial b.s. I would put it to 5% or even 7% for number of filipino with hispanic. :sombrero:

1.5%%%%%%%%%

No Ceiling
09-02-2009, 01:00 AM
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/16061168
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/16061168.jpg
:biggthump lol

Mexicanbadass
09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
****k nooo.....them nuggs is Asiatic or some ****.....

Cuauhtémoc1520
09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Actually, "Hispanic" just means anyone who speaks Spanish. So if a pinoy speaks Spanish, then he is Hispanic technically.

If you talk about ethnically if we are similar to Filipinos, the answer is .....YES.

The people that dominated the America's prior to the European invasion came over from Asia, through the Bearing Straights.

If you look at a lot of Filipinos, they look like Mexicans and Central Americans and vice versa.

freeloada
09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
i think so.. thye are like the hispanics of asia.. lol :lol1:

Alot of our words are very similar to the Tagalog language..

No Ceiling
09-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Actually, "Hispanic" just means anyone who speaks Spanish. So if a pinoy speaks Spanish, then he is Hispanic technically.

If you talk about ethnically if we are similar to Filipinos, the answer is .....YES.

The people that dominated the America's prior to the European invasion came over from Asia, through the Bearing Straights.

If you look at a lot of Filipinos, they look like Mexicans and Central Americans and vice versa.

how about those hispanic who was born and raised in usa and cant no longer speak spanish fluently but can understand, are they still hispanic?

in zamboanga city, they speak spanish (its called chavacano)

heres a tv news from spain talking about spanish speaking in zamboanga
can you understand those? it sounds spanish eh
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7E-M4ML5SLg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7E-M4ML5SLg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i think so.. thye are like the hispanics of asia.. lol

Alot of our words are very similar to the Tagalog language..

some have different meaning but they are still spanish.

No Ceiling
09-03-2009, 03:32 AM
my grandpa is a half Spanish.. he thought me some espanyol before when i was a kid..

most of the mixed-spanish bloodied pinoys are rich and owns big chuncks of lands.. :lol1:

yeah i kinda notice that too. most of those spaniards in philippines are all rich.

No Ceiling
09-03-2009, 03:53 AM
these are some related video of "chavacano"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7hf7gffTn0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b7hf7gffTn0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_25DrIGTil4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_25DrIGTil4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

thurrmac
09-03-2009, 04:46 AM
i believe so, just read philippine history. here's a short article

Expedition to the Philippines

Statue of López de Legazpi with Datu Sikatuna in Tagbilaran, Bohol, marks the location where the Blood compact alliance took place.López de Legazpi, and his men sailed the Pacific Ocean for 93 days. In 1565, they landed in the Mariana Islands, where they briefly anchored, and replenished their supplies. They fought with Chamorro tribes, and burned several huts.

López de Legazpi's troops arrived in the Philippines, and landed in the shores of Cebu on February 13, 1565. After a brief struggle with hostile natives, they left the island in search of food, water, supplies, and other resources. On February 22, 1565 they reached the island of Samar guided by Datu Urrao. The Spaniards, and their native allies left the island for the nearby islands of Limasawa, and Leyte, guided by Datu Bankaw. Their ships drifted to the coast of Bohol on March 16, 1565 where they befriended with Datu Sikatuna, and Rajah Sigala. López de Legazpi made a blood compact with the native chieftain, Datu Sikatuna, as a sign of friendship between the two people. There, the Spaniards obtained spices, and gold after convincing the natives that they were not Portuguese.

On April 27, 1565, the Spaniards, and their native allies sailed back to Cebu, and attacked the villages of Rajah Tupas, which led to the surrender of the settlements. There, the Spaniards established their colony, naming it "Villa del Santisimo Nombre de Jesús" (Town of the Most Holy Name of Jesus), and "Villa de San Miguel" (Saint Michael's Town).

In 1567, about 2,100 Spaniards, and Mexicans arrived in Cebu under orders of the Spanish king. They established a city, and built the port of Fuerza de San Pedro (Fortress of Saint Peter) which became their outpost for trade with Mexico, and protection from native revolts.

In 1568, López de Legazpi sent one of his men back to Spain to report on his progress. He remained in Cebu, and did not accompany his men during their colonization of Manila because of health problems, and advanced age. Having heard of the rich resources in Luzon, he dispatched two of his Lieutenant-commanders, Martín de Goiti, and Juan de Salcedo, to explore the northern region.

A route of the Spanish expeditions in the Philippines.In late 1569, a force of 300 Spaniards, and several of their native allies, left Cebu and began exploring the Northern regions of the Visayas. The Spaniards discovered the islands of Panay, and Mindoro, where they encountered Chinese sea pirates in the area. Goiti, and Salcedo fought with sea pirates on the eastern coastline of Mindoro, and defeated them on the island, and established their settlements in the region.

The Islamic tribes of the Philippines practiced ancestor, and nature worship, and part of the motivation of the Spaniards was to convert the natives to the Roman Catholic religion. Aside from baptizing the natives, and giving them Christian names, the islands were renamed to "Filipinas" in honor of Felipe II de España (Philip II of Spain).

On May 8, 1570, they arrived in Manila Bay. There, they were welcomed by the natives. Goiti's soldiers camped there for a few weeks, while forming an alliance with the Muslim tribal chief, Rajah Sulaiman III. On May 24, 1570, after disputes and hostility had erupted between the two groups, the Spaniards occupied the villages of Tondo, and Manila, where a battle was fought.

In the same year, more reinforcements arrived in the Philippines, prompting López de Legazpi to leave Cebu. He recruited 250 Spanish soldiers, and 600 native warriors to explore the regions of Leyte, and Panay. He followed Goiti, and Salcedo to Manila the following year, after hearing the villages had been conquered.

In Manila, López de Legazpi formed a peace pact with the native councils, Rajah Sulaiman III, Rajah Sulaiman II, and Rajah Lakan Dula. Both groups agreed to organize a city council, consisting of two mayors, twelve councilors, and a secretary. López de Legazpi established a settlement there on June 24, 1571, and he also ordered the construction of the walled city of Intramuros. He proclaimed the town as the island's capital, and the seat of the Spanish government in the East Indies.[1]

With the help of Augustinian, and Franciscan friars, he established a government on the islands. He became the first Spanish governor of the Philippines, and worked to convert the natives to the Christian religion. In 1609, Antonio de Morga, Alcalde of Criminal Causes, in the Royal Audiencia of New Spain wrote:

"After the islands had been conquered by the sovereign light of the holy gospel which entered therein, the heathen were baptized, the darkness of their paganism was banished, and they changed their own for Christian names. The islands also, losing their former name, took--with the change of religion and the baptism of their inhabitants--that of Filipinas Islands, in recognition of the great favors received at the hands of his Majesty Filipe the Second, our sovereign, in whose fortunate time and reign they were conquered, protected, and encouraged, as a work and achievement of his royal hands." [2]

yeks
09-03-2009, 06:05 AM

no joke... mexicans and filipinos do look a like..:fing02:

Cuauhtémoc1520
09-03-2009, 09:09 AM
how about those hispanic who was born and raised in usa and cant no longer speak spanish fluently but can understand, are they still hispanic?

in zamboanga city, they speak spanish (its called chavacano)

heres a tv news from spain talking about spanish speaking in zamboanga
can you understand those? it sounds spanish eh
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7E-M4ML5SLg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7E-M4ML5SLg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

some have different meaning but they are still spanish.

no joke... mexicans and filipinos do look a like..:fing02:

Like I said, the term "Hispanic" technically is used to describe people that speak Spanish, that's the literal term. Here in the U.S we use it to describe a race of people, like Latin Americans. (Which is kind of wrong as well but that's another argument)

Spain conquered many lands, from Africa, America and Asia and you can see their influence all over the place. So different dialects of Spanish evolved.

Filipinos do look a lot like Mexicans with more pure Asian blood of course. Mexicans were more mixed with Spanish blood that Filipinos and their counterparts that traveled to the Americas from Asia evolved a little more that the people that stayed in Asia.

You should have seen my nephew when he was a little kid, he looked like a Chinese baby.....

shyboirank#1
09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
dont think sooooo.... they are both similar but no maybe el salvador or the uglier places like central america

Sin City
09-03-2009, 10:52 PM
good question.. they have spanish blood in them too. I would say yes?
Come here and give me a hug my asian latin brothas:grouphug:

thurrmac
09-03-2009, 11:37 PM
dont think sooooo.... they are both similar but no maybe el salvador or the uglier places like central america

uglier? are you referring to yourself? are you simply telling spanish are ugly?

Aracibo04
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I enjoy Filipinos who still speak Spanish, they are so cool. It's mostly the older folk but they are good people.
:boxing:

Right!,,

I spoke spanish in the Philippines with some of the older folk, that was cool in deed..

Aracibo04
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM

I say yes they are with the Asian twist.

Who ever is from a country that was colonized by Spain is Hispanic,..
the spaniards had a habit of mixing with the locals no matter who they were.
So filipinos are the asian hispanics of Latinasia

What do they call Zamboanga.. Asia's Latin City.... hehe for sure..

Explain what chavacano is please for those who don't know.
Been there and I could read all the signs and understand about 50 % of what was spoken. It was a very cool experience.

Pinoys are more Americanized rather than Hispanic in terms of culture influence

Probably because americans introduced democracy to our lifestyle

Spain treated us as lowlife indios

just my 2 cents :D

That is true, the new generation ever since the US took over quickly for the most part forgot about the spanish.

Mostly older generation.

yeah i kinda notice that too. most of those spaniards in philippines are all rich.

The same is true in any part of latin america, the decendants of spaniards have the most money and influence.

No Ceiling
09-05-2009, 12:54 AM
The same is true in any part of latin america, the decendants of spaniards have the most money and influence.

oh yeah i forgot to add that one too. thats why they can afford to got to college/universities and become a politicians

princesa should be replaced by 'rico' lol
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2598920601_9357380696.jpg

Aracibo04
09-05-2009, 11:10 AM
oh yeah i forgot to add that one too. thats why they can afford to got to college/universities and become a politicians

princesa should be replaced by 'rico' lol
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2598920601_9357380696.jpg

:haha: it took me a minute to see it LOL

that would be funny if I saw that there....
by they way the best answer in your poll is the last one for sure. we can take all the gold back!

So are you an official member of the Hispanic Lounge ??? hehehe

JM1
09-05-2009, 11:27 AM
filipinos are not hispanic but our culture is somewhat similar cause weve been colonized by spain. theres plenty of pinoys in the PI who have a mix. but, latin america and pilipinas should team up & colonize spain :lol1:

Sin City
09-05-2009, 03:28 PM
filipinos are not hispanic but our culture is somewhat similar cause weve been colonized by spain. theres plenty of pinoys in the PI who have a mix. but, latin america and pilipinas should team up & colonize spain :lol1:
hispanic means that you have spanish blood.. so there are hispanics in the filipinese.

No Ceiling
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
:haha: it took me a minute to see it LOL

that would be funny if I saw that there....
by they way the best answer in your poll is the last one for sure. we can take all the gold back!

So are you an official member of the Hispanic Lounge ??? hehehe

sweet revenge lol!

probably part time member....

filipinos are not hispanic but our culture is somewhat similar cause weve been colonized by spain. theres plenty of pinoys in the PI who have a mix. but, latin america and pilipinas should team up & colonize spain
[QUOTE=Sin City;6026124]hispanic means that you have spanish blood.. so there are hispanics in the filipinese.

lets build an intramuros in spain for pinoys only... :lol1:

hispanic means that you have spanish blood.. so there are hispanics in the filipinese.

is casamayor considered hispanic?

shyboirank#1
09-05-2009, 09:20 PM
uglier? are you referring to yourself? are you simply telling spanish are ugly?

MEXICAN !!! not latino or hispanic ...

WhoreUs
09-05-2009, 09:22 PM
england invaded philippines too.

we're limeys. :)

D-MiZe
09-05-2009, 09:27 PM
england invaded philippines too.

we're limeys. :)

Pacman is related to me.

WhoreUs
09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Pacman is related to me.

pacman's great great great great great grandfather was a british army officer.

pacman is a limey.

D-MiZe
09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
pacman's great great great great great grandfather was a british army officer.

pacman is a limey.

Well, God is British too..

So, that wouldn't surprise me.

WhoreUs
09-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Well, God is British too..

So, that wouldn't surprise me.

pacquiao is god. :lol1:

Sin City
09-06-2009, 01:18 PM
sweet revenge lol!

probably part time member....

[QUOTE]filipinos are not hispanic but our culture is somewhat similar cause weve been colonized by spain. theres plenty of pinoys in the PI who have a mix. but, latin america and pilipinas should team up & colonize spain

lets build an intramuros in spain for pinoys only... :lol1:

is casamayor considered hispanic?
yes, Casamayor is considered hispanic.
Brazilians aren't considered Hispanic but are considered Latino.
That's why I kind of have a problem with the term.. it excludes a lot of people.
Then again, you could be straight up European (white) and have been born in
raised in Latin America and still be considered Hispanic/Latino.
It's more of a cultural thing I would say.
You are right though, Filipinos do have a lot of cultural similarities.

Alexandros
09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
why are brazilian not hispanic? portuguese and spaniards are both the same kind of people they are iberians.

The Underboss
09-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Brazilians are of Portugese descent (which is RIGHT NEXT to Spain), how the hell are they not considered hispanic? :ugh:

Doc Holliday
09-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Didn't Lampley once quote Pacquiao as saying he was now the top Asian and Hispanic fighter at 126, right after he beat Barrera? I could be wrong, but I remember him saying that for some reason.

Anyway, I used to think they considered themselves Hispanic, but never really asked. Mainly because many of the Pinoys/Pinays I know have Spanish last names.

JM1
09-07-2009, 04:02 PM

yes there are, thats why i mentioned that some pinoys have a mix. but not all

Texanballer
09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Brazilians are not hispanic because they are not of spanish decent.

The Scientist
09-09-2009, 12:03 PM
You could make the argument that Pinoys are technically Hispanic. I hang out with Pinoys just to be around pretty Pinays, and dried mango snacks. Shhh, don't tell them.

Alexandros
09-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Brazilians are of Portugese descent (which is RIGHT NEXT to Spain), how the hell are they not considered hispanic? :ugh:

coz some are dumb don't know that :op:

No Ceiling
09-10-2009, 12:12 AM
You could make the argument that Pinoys are technically Hispanic. I hang out with Pinoys just to be around pretty Pinays, and dried mango snacks. Shhh, don't tell them.

dried mango is an ATG snack.
http://kyspeaks.com/photos/dried_mango.jpg

WhoreUs
09-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Brazilians are not hispanic because they are not of spanish decent.

they're portuguese.

WhoreUs
09-10-2009, 12:27 AM
why are brazilian not hispanic? portuguese and spaniards are both the same kind of people they are iberians.

hispanic relates to a spanish influenced culture and language.

portuguese are on the same peninsula as spain but they're not spanish.

No Ceiling
09-10-2009, 12:44 AM
hispanic relates to a spanish influenced culture and language.

portuguese are on the same peninsula as spain but they're not spanish.

are you half chinese, spanish, and pinoy?

Eric Holder
09-10-2009, 12:51 AM
dried mango is an ATG snack.
http://kyspeaks.com/photos/dried_mango.jpg

dried mango rule :boxing:

WhoreUs
09-10-2009, 12:55 AM
are you half chinese, spanish, and pinoy?

my pops has a little spanish blood from his dad's side.

my mom is pure chinese blood like her parents but they grew up in philippines.

No Ceiling
09-10-2009, 01:57 AM
dried mango rule
:boxing: agree. how about green mango you like?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3475652728_c4c335eef8.jpg

my pops has a little spanish blood from his dad's side.

my mom is pure chinese blood like her parents but they grew up in philippines.

dude you should visit your ancestors in china

WhoreUs
09-10-2009, 02:23 AM
dude you should visit your ancestors in china

i don't even speak chinese.

No Ceiling
09-10-2009, 04:15 AM
i don't even speak chinese.

you can hire some translator or something..

it turns out one of your ancestor was the engineer of wall of china... lol
http://theeulobby.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/great_wall_of_china.jpg

Eric Holder
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
:boxing: agree. how about green mango you like?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3475652728_c4c335eef8.jpg

green mango's are great also

baracuda
09-10-2009, 10:52 PM
https://jspivey.wikispaces.com/file/view/large-spanish-empire.jpg

http://acegem.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/vigan02.jpg

hell ****in no.....pinoys proud south east asians.....malay race,pinoys who claim to be hispanics are dumbasses....

WhoreUs
09-10-2009, 11:04 PM
hell ****in no.....pinoys proud south east asians.....malay race,pinoys who claim to be hispanics are dumbasses....

doesn't hispanic relate to culture/language not race.

pinoys are asian but one could argue they have hispanic culture.

spain was in philippines for hundred of years and influenced a lot of filipino culture and language.

Aracibo04
09-10-2009, 11:16 PM

dried mangos? green mangos vs pinays??/ hmmm hahaha both? yeaaaaaa. Just to add to the thread... many pinoys consider themselves pacific islanders and not hispanic or asian.

baracuda
09-10-2009, 11:19 PM
doesn't hispanic relate to culture/language not race.

pinoys are asian but one could argue they have hispanic culture.

spain was in philippines for hundred of years and influenced a lot of filipino culture and language.

i disagree homie......the culture was somewhat influeced by spain,americans,chinese and arabs.....

pinoys=early indonesians and malaysians....theyre language is very similar to alot of our dialects.....

no offense tua but most pinoys who claim this are k-swis wearin mofos mostly from cali.....some of them are even my homeboys...nothing embarrases me more than this **** ,pinoys should just claim to be pinoys and not anything else....

Aracibo04
09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
i disagree homie......the culture was somewhat influeced by spain,americans,chinese and arabs.....

pinoys=early indonesians and malaysians....theyre language is very similar to alot of our dialects.....

no offense tua but most pinoys who claim this are k-swis wearin mofos mostly from cali.....some of them are even my homeboys...nothing embarrases me more than this **** ,pinoys should just claim to be pinoys and not anything else....

I agree with cuda.. all those influences is what makes pinoys who they are. It would be as if a puerto rican claims he is italian coz he has european characteristics, no matter what he is still puerto rican. the only exception to that is he just got of the boat from italy.

Alexandros
09-11-2009, 04:31 AM
No philippines deserve to be hispanic, coz philippines have have very little in common with indonesia and malaysia and the rest of south east asia in terms of culture and way of life, philippines is much more related to latin america in every aspect. Hispanic is not race anyway in latin america u got indians, mestiso, blacks and they are called hispanics if they live in anypart of latin america, black hispanics, amerindian hispanics, white hispanics. Because Hispanic is a culture not a race, and philippines is part of that culture for over 300+ years now.

baracuda
09-11-2009, 07:15 AM
No philippines deserve to be hispanic, coz philippines have have very little in common with indonesia and malaysia and the rest of south east asia in terms of culture and way of life, philippines is much more related to latin america in every aspect. Hispanic is not race anyway in latin america u got indians, mestiso, blacks and they are called hispanics if they live in anypart of latin america, black hispanics, amerindian hispanics, white hispanics. Because Hispanic is a culture not a race, and philippines is part of that culture for over 300+ years now.

learn your history boy!.....let me educate you a bit....pinoys=negritos were the first pinoys...then came the indonesians and malaysians which belong to malay race.....the popular knowledge that the spanish discovered phil is bull****,they only named it after thier king.....the early traders were chinese and arabs so it was either of them.....spanish ruled pi for 333 years to be exact......bottomline is pinoys are not hispanics.......learn your history boy and be proud of it!

Alexandros
09-11-2009, 08:07 AM
learn your history boy!.....let me educate you a bit....pinoys=negritos were the first pinoys...then came the indonesians and malaysians which belong to malay race.....the popular knowledge that the spanish discovered phil is bull****,they only named it after thier king.....the early traders were chinese and arabs so it was either of them.....spanish ruled pi for 333 years to be exact......bottomline is pinoys are not hispanics.......learn your history boy and be proud of it!

those things u type did not really make anysense coz the fact is philippines culture is very much hispanic more related and in common with latin america and very little in common with malaysia or indonesia. :peeright: :haha:

baracuda
09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
those things u type did not really make anysense coz the fact is philippines culture is very much hispanic more related and in common with latin america and very little in common with malaysia or indonesia. :peeright: :haha:

cant help you anymore ..... hope you keep your ignorance to yourself!

No Ceiling
09-11-2009, 07:30 PM

dude relax.. listen to this to make you relax..
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hpkitLUbeEg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hpkitLUbeEg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WhoreUs
09-11-2009, 07:35 PM

you got me wrong , cuda.

i'm not claiming we're hispanic.

as a race i consider pinoys asian.

i'm just saying philippines has a hispanic influenced culture/language. which is the truth.

if you're talking about it in race terms of course we're not hispanic. (hispanic isn't even a race)

but if you're talking about it in cultural/language terms , filipinos are hispanic influenced.

and i am one of those k-swizz wearing pinoys from cali! :lol1:

you won't see me claiming pacific islander or see a 13 on my arm though.

WhoreUs
09-11-2009, 07:44 PM

of course we're malay race for the most part.

i think he's talking about hispanic culture. the definition of hispanic is spanish influenced culture and language.

hispanic is not a race. people think it is because the u.s. census people screwed up. they classified hispanic as a race for central and south americans plus mexico.

that was a mistake because a few south american countries are not even hispanic. some were never spanish colonies but portuguese colonies.

No Ceiling
09-11-2009, 08:52 PM
of course we're malay race for the most part.

i think he's talking about hispanic culture. the definition of hispanic is spanish influenced culture and language.

hispanic is not a race. people think it is because the u.s. census people screwed up. they classified hispanic as a race for central and south americans plus mexico.

that was a mistake because a few south american countries are not even hispanic. some were never spanish colonies but portuguese colonies.

baracuda thought hispanic is a race?

baracuda
09-11-2009, 09:18 PM
you got me wrong , cuda.

i'm not claiming we're hispanic.

as a race i consider pinoys asian.

i'm just saying philippines has a hispanic influenced culture/language. which is the truth.

if you're talking about it in race terms of course we're not hispanic. (hispanic isn't even a race)

but if you're talking about it in cultural/language terms , filipinos are hispanic influenced.

and i am one of those k-swizz wearing pinoys from cali! :lol1:

you won't see me claiming pacific islander or see a 13 on my arm though.

my bad tua......hope its all good!

The Scientist
09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
dried mangos? green mangos vs pinays??/ hmmm hahaha both? yeaaaaaa. Just to add to the thread... many pinoys consider themselves pacific islanders and not hispanic or asian.

Give me both, and I'll call it heaven on earth.

WhoreUs
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
my bad tua......hope its all good!

it's all good.

it's weird.

when i first saw the thread i was like "what the hell?"

but if you are talking spanish influence culture/language then i guess you can say pinoys are hispanic influenced.

a lot of our words were taken from spanish (though we put a pinoy accent and spelling to it) and a lot of our culture and religion are taken from the spanish or based on spanish.

baracuda
09-11-2009, 10:12 PM
it's all good.

it's weird.

when i first saw the thread i was like "what the hell?"

but if you are talking spanish influence culture/language then i guess you can say pinoys are hispanic influenced.

a lot of our words were taken from spanish (though we put a pinoy accent and spelling to it) and a lot of our culture and religion are taken from the spanish or based on spanish.

he he...i used to wear k-swiss too homeboy!....lol

WhoreUs
09-11-2009, 10:16 PM
he he...i used to wear k-swiss too homeboy!....lol

i've been all k-swizz since i retired my cortez. :lol1:

i like them. they're not expensive too so i buy them 3-4 at a time. lol

No Ceiling
09-11-2009, 10:28 PM
how about fubu? lol

baracuda
09-11-2009, 10:32 PM
i've been all k-swizz since i retired my cortez. :lol1:

i like them. they're not expensive too so i buy them 3-4 at a time. lol

its better than lugz anyways.eastcoast pinoys love those too..lol.....

Prostitroop
09-12-2009, 01:04 AM

Chavacano (as a proper noun and a derivative of the Spanish adjective "chabacano" and as it is generally accepted in literature, the broadcast media, and Zamboangueños) or Chabacano (from the Spanish adjective) is a creole language or more precisely, the common name for the six dialects of the Philippine Creole Spanish spoken in the Philippines. The word Chavacano is derived from the Spanish language meaning "poor taste," "vulgar," "common," "of low quality," "tacky," or "coarse".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chavacano_language

Alexandros
09-12-2009, 01:37 AM
cant help you anymore ..... hope you keep your ignorance to yourself!

no u are the one who is ignorant, u should thank me for enlightening u up. :D
philippines is predominantly asian as a race but in culture and way of life we are hispanic. :sombrero:

No Ceiling
09-12-2009, 03:39 AM
no u are the one who is ignorant, u should thank me for enlightening u up. :D
philippines is predominantly asian as a race but in culture and way of life we are hispanic. :sombrero:

we are half hispanic half chinese lol. ano name nyang nasa sig mo?

Alexandros
09-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Spanish influence on Filipino culture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Hispanic influence on Filipino culture)
Jump to: navigation, search

Spanish influence on Filipino culture are custom, and tradition performed in the Philippines. Spanish colonization produced a mixed culture of primitive Malayo-Polynesian and Iberian tradition. The Philippines has also received influence from the United States, and other Cultures of Asia such as Islamic, and Chinese. This makes the Philippines a multi-ethnic society.

Filipinos speak various languages such as Tagalog, Cebuano, English, Spanish, and other Philippine languages. There are thousands of Spanish loan words in Philippine languages, and a Spanish creole language called Chavacano is spoken by about one million Filipinos in the southern Philippines.

The Philippines, having been one of the most distant Spanish colonies, received less migration of people from Spain, compare to the colonies in Latin America. Nonetheless, many of the Spanish elements in the Culture of the Philippines have become part of the native tradition.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 History
* 2 Language
* 3 Names of the Philippines
* 4 People
* 5 Religion
o 5.1 Fiestas and religious holidays
o 5.2 Holiday
* 6 Arts, literature and music
* 7 Cuisine
* 8 Business
* 9 See also
* 10 References
* 11 External links

[edit] History
Main article: History of the Philippines

Negrito, and Austronesian peoples called Malayo-Polynesian are the primitive tribes of the Philippines.[1] The Negritos, and Malayo-Polynesians migrated to the Philippines during the last ice age some 30,000 years ago, when land bridges connected the Philippine Islands to mainland Asia.[2][1]

The Philippines was governed from Mexico City as a territory of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, from 1565 to 1821, and became a province of Spain from 1821 to 1898.

In the past few years, the Philippines has begun to re-establish closer ties to its former colonial ruler. The King, and Queen of Spain attended the Centennial celebration of Philippine Independence from Spain on June 12, 1998 in recognition of a shared history, and tradition.

[edit] Language
Main article: Spanish in the Philippines

Spanish spoken in the Philippines today has a great affinity to Mexican Spanish. In fact, the number of Mexican Spanish loan-words that appear in various Indigenous Filipino languages are of Nahuatl origin that were first incorporated into Mexican Spanish, and which do not exist in European Spanish. These words include nanay (nantl), tatay (tatle), bayabas [from guayaba(s), guava], abokado (avocado), papaya, zapote, palengke, and other Nahuatl words.

Spanish was introduced in the 16th century, and by the 19th century remained as the official language of Philippines. However, it was never spoken by the majority of the Philippine population as lingua franca. At its peak in the early 20th century, the language was spoken by approximately 60% of the population (with different degrees of fluence), and by 10 to 15% as a first language. After the Spanish-American War of 1898, settlers from the United States introduced English to the islands. Spanish remained as a co-official language, along with Tagalog, and English until 1987, when it lost its status, prompting the Philippine government to declare Tagalog, and English as the official languages of the Philippines. Today, Spanish is spoken by the Philippines' Hispanic communities, that includes other Filipinos, Spaniards, and Mestizo of Hispanic ancestry.

However, various Philippine Indigenous languages have significantly assimilated aspects of the Spanish language, and contain thousands of loan words. Numerous words, and some grammatical concepts of Spanish origin are used in Chavacano, Cebuano, and Tagalog.

[edit] Names of the Philippines

The name of the Philippines comes from the king of Spain, Philip II. It was given by the Spanish explorer Ruy López de Villalobos who named the islands of Samar, and Leyte "Las Islas Filipinas" (The Philippine Islands), during his expedition in 1543. Throughout the colonial period, the name Filipinas (Philippines) was used, and became the official name of the Philippines.

There are many Provinces in the Philippines with Spanish names, such as Nueva Vizcaya, Nueva Ecija, Laguna, Isabela, Quirino, Aurora, La Union, Marinduque, Antique, Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, and Valle de Compostela.

Many cities, and towns are also named in Spanish, such as Medellin, Santander, Nueva Valencia, Naga City (prior to 1919 was known as Nueva Cáceres), Las Piñas, Prosperidad, Isabela, Sierra Bullones, Angeles, La Paz, Esperanza, Buenavista, Pilar, La Trinidad, Garcia Hernandez, Trece Martires, Los Baños, Floridablanca and many more. There are numerous other towns named after saints, such as San Fernando, Santa Rosa, Santa Rita, San Jose, San Pablo, and San Marcelino, as well as after Spanish cities, such as Sevilla, Toledo, Cadiz, Zaragoza, Ávila, Lucena, and Salamanca.

Many other Indigenous names are spelled using Spanish orthography, such as Cagayán de Oro, Parañaque, and Cebú.

[edit] People
Main article: Demographics of the Philippines

Most Filipinos are an Asian ethnic group called Malayo-Polynesian people. A group of the Austronesian-speaking people.

Throughout Philippine history, different races and nationalities, such as the Chinese, Spaniards, and Americans have intermarried with the Philippine population. Their descendants are known as Filipino mestizos. The official population of all types of mixed-blood individuals in the Philippines remained unknown.

[edit] Religion
Main article: Religion in the Philippines

The Philippines is one of two predominantly Roman Catholic nations in Asia, the other being East Timor. About 90% of the Philippine population are Christians. About 5% are Muslim, and about 5% practiced other religion, and those with no religion.

Filipinos at home set up altars in Hispanic Catholic tradition, adorned with Christian icons, flowers, statues, and candles. On festival season, most barrios organized religious church service, and processions in honor of their patron saint, and cooked a variety of Philippine food.

[edit] Fiestas and religious holidays
Main article: Public holidays in the Philippines

All major Roman Catholic holy days are observed as official national holidays of the Philippines. Spanish-Mexican culture, and Christianity has influenced the custom, and tradition of the Philippines.

Every year on the 3rd week of January, the Philippines celebrates the festival of the "Santo Niño" (Holy Child Jesus), the largest being held in Cebu City.

[edit] Holiday

* March or April - Semana Santa (Holy Week or Easter)
* October 31 to November 2 - Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos), Araw ng mga Kaluluwa (All Souls' Day), and Todos Los Santos (All Saints' Day) where families spend much of the 3 days and 3 evenings visiting their ancestral graves, showing respect and honoring the departed relatives by feasting, decorating and offering prayers.
* December 24 - Nochebuena (Good night or Christmas Eve)
* December 25 - Christmas (Navidad or Pasko)
* January 1 - New Years Day (Año Nuevo or Bagong Taon)
* November 29 - Show Love For Phia Day (Phia Francheska Cauguiran's Day)

[edit] Arts, literature and music
Main articles: Arts of the Philippines, Literature of the Philippines, and Music in the Philippines

Hispanic influence is based on Indigenous, and European tradition. Folk dance, music, and literature have remained intact in the 21st century. These were introduced from Spain, and Mexico in the 16th century, and can be regarded as largely Hispanic in constitution, which have remained in the Philippines for centuries.

[edit] Cuisine
Main article: Filipino cuisine

The food of the Philippines reflects on the adaptation of Spanish, and Mexican cuisine.

They include:

* Adobo
* Albondigas
* Afritada
* Asado
* Avocado
* Brazo de Mercedes
* Calabaza
* Galantina
* Caldereta
* Camote
* Chicharrón
* Chorizo
* Dulce de Membrillo
* Dulce de Leche
* Empanadas
* Embutido
* Ensaymadas
* Escabeche
* Flan
* Galletas
* Jamón
* Lechón
* Longaniza
* Mamon
* Mechado
* Menudo
* Mazapan
* Natilla
* Paella
* Pan de sal
* Pastel de lengua
* Pastillas de leche
* Pescado
* Picadillo
* Pochero de bacalao
* Quezo de Bola
* Relleno
* Tamales
* Torta del cielo
* Tortas
* Tortilla quesada
* Tocino
* Tocino del Cielo
* Turrones de Casuy

[edit] Business

In the business community, the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) plays an integral role in the economic, political and social development of the nation. Historically, the chamber can be traced back as early as the 1890s with the inauguration of the Cámara de Comercio de Filipinas. This organization was composed mainly of Spanish companies such as the Compañía General de Tabaco de Filipinas, Fábrica de Cerveza San Miguel, and Elizalde y Cia, among other Spanish, and Philippine companies.

During the first half of the 20th century commerce, and industrial trades with other Hispanic countries declined due to the United States administration of the Philippines. However the resurgence of trade between Spain, and Latin American nations had risen toward the closing of the century. 1998 marked the centennial celebration of Philippine independence, it also opened a new opportunity for both Spanish, and Filipino businesses to reconnect their historic ties as trade between the Philippines, and Spain continues to rise during the 21st century.

Spanish influence on Filipino culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_influence_on_Filipino_culture)

Alexandros
09-12-2009, 09:15 AM
yep, filipinos are hispanic by default and more on the mexican side, love it or hate it but thats the truth children. :D

WhoreUs
09-12-2009, 04:53 PM
yep, filipinos are hispanic by default and more on the mexican side, love it or hate it but thats the truth children. :D

philippines should have stayed part of the u.s.

then i wouldn't need a passport to visit.

The Underboss
09-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Manny Pacquiao was born on a city where it was inhabitated by tribes of Mexico, so he's automaticaly ''Hispanic'':lurk:

WhoreUs
09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Manny Pacquiao was born on a city where it was inhabitated by tribes of Mexico, so he's automaticaly ''Hispanic'':lurk:

pacquiao is a limey.

BOLLOCKS
09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Back when they spoke Spanish they were Asian Hispanics, not anymore.

Don Flamenco
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Actually, "hispanic" is a term coined by the Nixon administration. A white man basically decided it would be more usefull to lump brown spanish speaking people of south America and the Carribean. So if you guys like to call yourselves Hispanic or latino then go for it. I actually like to call Mexicans as mexicans or Chicanos and Puerto Ricans as such instead of calling them a term that white man made up.

and LOl at 5% of the people n the Philippines with gringo blood. Thats like me believing every Pinay ***** saying she is half hawaiin, spanish and chinese and ****.

Don Flamenco
09-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Also Malays and indonesians came from the hilippines and NOT the other way around. The migrtion came from the North, taiwan/Formosa). So when people say the "Malay" race, it is a dated term. It is the Malays who should be calling themselves Filipinos.

Alexandros
09-12-2009, 08:11 PM
but the culture way of life and everything is still hispanic yea it may not be as hispanic as latin america but by default when u compare philippines to its neighbhors it has nothing in common with them but it has more in common with latin america so by default its hispanic its greatest common factor is the hisapnic culture and heritage. ;)

WhoreUs
09-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Also Malays and indonesians came from the hilippines and NOT the other way around. The migrtion came from the North, taiwan/Formosa). So when people say the "Malay" race, it is a dated term. It is the Malays who should be calling themselves Filipinos.

filipino is not a race.

it's a nationality.

crown mac
09-13-2009, 09:24 AM
pinay woman have bigger tits than the other asian woman:luvbed:

Alexandros
09-13-2009, 09:30 AM
It's also explains why pinoy culture is also more artistic and friendly comapred to its neighbors. A similar culture that we share with latin america and not with south east asia :D

No Ceiling
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/fax3j9.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2dkh6oo.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3527/3469058331_6dc5d80044_o.jpg

The Underboss
12-01-2009, 10:42 PM
^ interesting...

but filipinos hate the spanish for invading their country, that's why many don't speak spanish and don't want to relate to the spaniards.

No Ceiling
12-01-2009, 11:16 PM
^ interesting...

but filipinos hate the spanish for invading their country, that's why many don't speak spanish and don't want to relate to the spaniards.

probably the reason why some hate them because they treat the filipino like ****. calling them indio back in the day.

this news paper in the 40s during ww2
http://i46.tinypic.com/2rn9e8y.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/x27yfq.jpg

Third Degree MM
12-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Mexico — Ethnic Groups: Mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%

Philippines — Ethnic Groups: Tagalog 28.1%, Cebuano 13.1%, Ilocano 9%, Bisaya/Binisaya 7.6%, Hiligaynon Ilonggo 7.5%, Bikol 6%, ...

man if you got that from the great Wikipedia dont take as fact

Mandirigama
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Well Filipino's like most of South East Asia is very diverse and can't really claim
just one culture or ethnic group. Filipino's like mention before are a mix of Arab,Chinese,Austronesian,Indonesian and Malaysian and we have Pacific Islander and Spanish to a certain degree. So it really is up to the individual what they want to call themselves, the present Filipinos now are like Malaysian,Indonesian,Austronesian and Chinese. I have met Malaysians who were friends with my uncle and they have dialects and certain things they do that have similarities to Filipino culture and that can be the same with the Spanish who brought there culture also. But you have to be careful with some Filipinos who regard the Spanish who gave them names with no meaning.

dde91
12-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Love live filipinossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss

dde91
12-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss!!!!!!!!!!!