View Full Version : Steve Collins

Benncollinsaad
07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Stevo was one of my fav boxers. That was one tough guy! The first one to beat Eubank, officially at least. And the only one to beat Benn and Eubank twice. It's a shame he never fought Roy Jones jr. I believe he and Michalczewski were the only ones who could have beaten him back then. The thing that annoys me is that it's virtually impossible to find any of his fights on the internet, except the one against McCallum where he lost. Not really one of his best efforts. So if anybody knows where I can find some of his fights, tell me.

Freedom.
07-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Steve Collins never received the recognition and respect he deserved because he was white.

Sick/
07-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Steve Collins never received the recognition and respect he deserved because he was white.

LOL :rofl:

#1Assassin
07-26-2009, 04:44 PM

are u serious?

this **** is getting old. real old.

collins was a good fighter who would give anyone a tough fight cuz of his toughness and chin. but he wasnt a great fighter by any means. jones wouldve made him look ordinary.

The Gully Gad
07-26-2009, 04:44 PM

lolol......

paul750
07-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Tunney the comedian, eh. lol.

Freedom.
07-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Tunney the comedian, eh. lol.

Vitali put quite a beating on the love of your life. :lol1:

Freedom.
07-26-2009, 04:59 PM
are u serious?

this **** is getting old. real old.

collins was a good fighter who would give anyone a tough fight cuz of his toughness and chin. but i don't really respect him no matter who he beat because i don't like white boxers
Whoever WINS is the better fighter, not the one who is the race you like.

I notice of your ten favorite fighters on your sig, none are white, and the top 8 are all black. I've never seen you post a positive comment about a white boxer...

Are you a racist?

#1Assassin
07-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Whoever WINS is the better fighter, not the one who is the race you like.

I notice of your ten favorite fighters on your sig, none are white, and the top 8 are all black. I've never seen you post a postive comment about a white boxer...

Are you a racist?

im mulatto myself, my mother is white. so no im not.

the first part i agree with though, however i dont think every single time a white fighter is underrated its due to him being white. thats your problem, u are obsessed with race. im mulatto like i just mentioned so i come across more racism than anyone. u just seem to assume anytime someone says anything negative about a white fighter its cuz hes white.

and as for my list, its true there are mainly blacks in my top 10, its a coinsidence. several non blacks fighters like froch, abraham, adamek and r.marquez just missed the list.

and i say positive things about white fighters all the time. and its bcuz i mean it too, not just to cover up my racism like when u say good things about blacks.

:peeright: carnivore

CiganoBoxer
07-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Stevo was one of my fav boxers. That was one tough guy! The first one to beat Eubank, officially at least. And the only one to beat Benn and Eubank twice. It's a shame he never fought Roy Jones jr. I believe he and Michalczewski were the only ones who could have beaten him back then. The thing that annoys me is that it's virtually impossible to find any of his fights on the internet, except the one against McCallum where he lost. Not really one of his best efforts. So if anybody knows where I can find some of his fights, tell me.
Are you on about the same steve collins that only claim to fame is beating Eubank? And the Benn win dont count does it lol
Oh and is this the same Steve Collins that threw away his WBO title rather than face his no1 contender Joe Calzaghe !

The Gully Gad
07-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Same guy that retired rather then face the wrath that was Joe!!!

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Same guy that retired rather then face the wrath that was Joe!!!
yes Collins fought Eubank, Benn and McCallum and signed to fiight Joe but suddenly got the fear of another fighter. I know u dont believe that. He collapsed during sparing and doctors told him that he could die if he fought again. Collins would take on any man.

The only thing Collins was afraid of was the grim reaper. and if he didnt have a scythe he probably would have taken him on too.

The Gully Gad
07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
The only thing Collins was afraid of was the grim reaper. and if he didnt have a scythe he probably would have taken him on too.

So he was scared of Robin Reid?

Im saying its known between the circles of the Boxing world (Chitty Chat)
That Collins was scared of Joe and did all things to avoid the man..

I dont rate his Benn win and Eubank was a mental mess by then..
Not knocking the man shame he could'nt of fought them in there primes
i like Collins i have most of his big fights but he wasnt anything special in my eyes bar having a chin like concrete....

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 06:29 PM
So he was scared of Robin Reid?

Im saying its known between the circles of the Boxing world (Chitty Chat)
That Collins was scared of Joe and did all things to avoid the man..

I dont rate his Benn win and Eubank was a mental mess by then..
Not knocking the man shame he could'nt of fought them in there primes
i like Collins i have most of his big fights but he wasnt anything special in my eyes bar having a chin like concrete....
i didnt claim he was SRR, but to say he was scared of Joe is border line insane.
Look at the punchers he fought and he was scared of Joe? He chased Jones Jnr forever. At the end he said money didnt even matter, he just wanted to fight him (Jones). Joe was a nobody then.

He signed to fight him and pulled out due to medical advice. Would u have preferred a third serious injury in that group of MW./SMWs?
Dont u think that what happened to Watson and McClellan might have been on his mind when the doctor told him me might die if he fought again?

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 06:33 PM
oh and eubank was unbeaten. Just cos he wasnt trying to finish people of doesnt mean he wasnt trying to win. he beat 12 and drew with 2 after watson. he didnt suddenly turn ****

#1Assassin
07-26-2009, 06:37 PM
collins fought mike mccallum but was scared of joe calzaghe :rofl:

Gettin Jiggy
07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
on a personal level dont like that man, and think he is a pice of ****. but decent fighter in his day! calzaghe would of ****ed him up do!

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
on a personal level dont like that man, and think he is a pice of ****. but decent fighter in his day! calzaghe would of ****ed him up do!
that version of Calz wasnt as good.
Prime for Prime Joe wins . I'm a fan of both, but I think in 1997 (when it was meant to take place the 1st time when Collins retired) Collins wins. Collins was towards the end of his career, but he was a late bloomer. He would have won pretty easily.
In 1999 when he announced his comeback and signed to fight Joe, who knows what the layoff would have done, but I'd still favour him over that version of Calz.

The Gully Gad
07-26-2009, 07:14 PM

Co Sign...Fact was he beat Greats when they wasnt so great..

I rate Collins but not that much..Jones Jnr would of hurt him bad

Benncollinsaad
07-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Lol, Collins would murder Calzaghe! No question who'd win. Ok, maybe not murder, but certainly beat in convincing fashion. I'd loved to see him against Kessler, that would be a great test for Celtic Warrior. And you Eubank fan, quit fooling yourself, there was nothing wrong with Eubank, he lost to a better man.

Chris Eubank was always a bit overated imo. He lost to Ray Close and got away with a draw. Another tough (Northern) Irish fighter, but who never fulfilled his potential. Benn also beat Eubank in the second fight.

The Gully Gad
07-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Lol, Collins would murder Calzaghe! No question who'd win. Ok, maybe not murder, but certainly beat in convincing fashion. I'd loved to see him against Kessler, that would be a great test for Celtic Warrior. And you Eubank fan, quit fooling yourself, there was nothing wrong with Eubank, he lost to a better man.

Chris Eubank was always a bit overated imo. He lost to Ray Close and got away with a draw. Another tough (Northern) Irish fighter, but who never fulfilled his potential. Benn also beat Eubank in the second fight.

U talking to me bruv when you said Eubank fan?

Im a fan of boxing i dont ladyworship anyone fighter and im sooner a fan of Hamed,Mike Tyson,Sugar shane Mosley way way before Eubank...

Im just saying Collins wasnt all that peeps barely remember him
beat a worn out Benn lets give him the Eubank one WoW and fuk all else really..He had a Great chin theres some respect 4 him...

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 07:24 PM
u didnt hear me say i think he'd beat Jones jnr either. I said he wanted to fight him, and badly. And he avoided Joe?

The Gully Gad
07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
u didnt hear me say i think he'd beat Jones jnr either. I said he wanted to fight him, and badly. And he avoided Joe?

Nah i read it G but my reply wasnt to you...

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM

i remember watching those Ray Close fights as a kid. Havent seen them since they hapened. Remember being really pissed of after the first fight that Ray didnt get the decision. Was annoyed after the second but my i remember my dad telling me he lost that one. must watch them again sometime and score them.

If i remember right Ray sounded like his balls hadn't dropped, really squeaky voice

paul750
07-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Prime for Prime Joe wins . I'm a fan of both, but I think in 1997 (when it was meant to take place the 1st time when Collins retired) Collins wins. Collins was towards the end of his career, but he was a late bloomer. He would have won pretty easily.
In 1999 when he announced his comeback and signed to fight Joe, who knows what the layoff would have done, but I'd still favour him over that version of Calz.

Calzaghe may not have been as polished back then, but remember that he had decent power in those days. Anyone who is as relentless as Calzaghe is always going to be tough to beat. I'll rewatch Collins again, but from what I remember he was just very tough with limited ability, but made the most out of what he had.

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Calzaghe may not have been as polished back then, but remember that he had decent power in those days. Anyone who is as relentless as Calzaghe is always going to be tough to beat. I'll rewatch Collins again, but from what I remember he was just very tough with limited ability, but made the most out of what he had.
Calz may have had more power then, but Collins chin was more than stirdy, it was his best quality!!!!
Joe could have went in there with a baseball bat and not stopped him
Edit- Collins was really relentless too. he was tougher, stronger, an even better chin than Joe. He was slower than Joe but ths about it like u said Joe wasnt as polished back then

CiganoBoxer
07-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Your joking right ?? Its a well known fact Collins avoided Calzaghe like swine flu lol
Collins wanted to fight his number 2 contender Eubank for a 3rd time but the WBO wouldn't have none of it ....so when they made Calzaghe his no1 contender he threw his title away and vacated it...he didn't want no part of Calslappy !
Eubank and Calslappy then fought for Collin's vacated WBO belt and the rest is history !

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 07:40 PM
feck deleted my message by accident.
Joe may have been a bigger hitter then but Collins chin was his best quality, no way Joe was stopping him. Collins was relentless too. He was tougher, stronger, more willing to go to war, and had an even better chin than Joe. Joe was faster, and thats bout it. Like u said he wasnt as polished back then

Edit - playing poker, not concentrating. i didnt delete my last post

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Your joking right ?? Its a well known fact Collins avoided Calzaghe like swine flu lol
Collins wanted to fight his number 2 contender Eubank for a 3rd time but the WBO wouldn't have none of it ....so when they made Calzaghe his no1 contender he threw his title away and vacated it...he didn't want no part of Calslappy !
Eubank and Calslappy then fought for Collin's vacated WBO belt and the rest is history !
Collins wanted a big payday before retirement. Eubank paid better. But he really wanted Jones jnr for his last fight. Joe was a nobody and the fight would have made **** all.

mickey malone
07-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Collins wasn't that talented, but had an incredible toughness and will to win.. He was always in great shape & came up the hard way, learning his trade under the Petronelli brothers (Haglers management).. This was before Benn or Eubank had even turned pro.. At one press conference, when Mike McCallum was asked who was the toughest man he'd faced, he immediately pointed at Collins who was in the room at the time..
The timing of his arrival back in the Uk, couldn't have been better.. He soon rested the WBO MW title from an inconsistant Chris Pyatt & then went shopping for the ring worn duo of Eubank & Benn, who he beat fair & square.. I don't think Collins backed out with Calzaghe.. He had his heart set on one big pay day with Jones, who at the time was the man to beat.. However, I think, as tough as Collins was, he would have got UD'd by both...

Gettin Jiggy
07-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Co Sign...Fact was he beat Greats when they wasnt so great..

I rate Collins but not that much..Jones Jnr would of hurt him bad

tottally agree with ya bruv. jones jr would of destroyed him with ease!

Gettin Jiggy
07-26-2009, 07:49 PM

even a young calzaghe would of beat him. calzaghe said in his book he is a ****house!

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
tottally agree with ya bruv. jones jr would of destroyed him with ease!
no **** that was prime jones jnr. He destroys pretty much everyone from MW - LHW at that time. He's not KOing him though. Probably win every round

Gettin Jiggy
07-26-2009, 07:59 PM
no **** that was prime jones jnr. He destroys pretty much everyone from MW - LHW at that time. He's not KOing him though. Probably win every round

Your head is really up steve collins's ass. you do know, on a personal level the man was a pice of **** don't you?

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 08:01 PM
im up his ass by saying he loses every round to jones jnr, got ya. that makes sense

Gettin Jiggy
07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
im up his ass by saying he loses every round to jones jnr, got ya. that makes sense

but you seemed to be frustrated admitting it. and saying how he would of beat calzaghe. and you seem to really rave on about him! like he is a big ATG fighter, when he is not

gingeralbino
07-26-2009, 08:10 PM
but you seemed to be frustrated admitting it. and saying how he would of beat calzaghe. and you seem to really rave on about him! like he is a big ATG fighter, when he is not
jesus he's not an ATG re-read the thread, i said he wasnt afraid to fight Joe (or anyone)
I think he beats a 1997 Joe Calz. Its not that big a statement. Collins was a tough mother ****er, theres no denying that, and Joe was young and had never fought anyone like him before.

Adam_Laiolo
07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
he is class

Adam_Laiolo
07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
always thought him and calzaghe wouldve been good, prime v prime

Adam_Laiolo
07-26-2009, 08:37 PM
though id go joe by KO

The Gully Gad
07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Joe would'nt ko him but in saying that Eubank had him pretty much finished but stood back and didnt move in for the kill so he could of..My take is Joe would of outclassed him over the distance...

Collins was to fleetfooted had limited skills but made up for them with heart and his chin thats it fuk all else and wasnt anything special...