View Full Version : Heavyweight Champs Tale of the tape!

{BrownBomber}
02-18-2005, 10:40 PM
The Heavyweight Champs Tale of the Tape

Check it out.

http://www.ibhof.com/ibhftape.htm

SonnyG8R
02-19-2005, 12:05 AM
That's interesting, but what it tells me is that despite the beliefs of a few, height and weight advantage really don't mean that much. If they did the greatest heavyweight champs would be guys like Jess Willard, Primo Carnera and Lennox Lewis instead of Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, and Jack Johnson. :boxing:

M26
02-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Hmmm. George Foreman got taller as the years went on it seems. I knew it had to be something extraordinary with that man. Hell, heŽll probably come back at 60, being 6'7 or something. :)

Neuraxis
02-19-2005, 04:19 PM
This is like saying that you don't need steroids in order to hit 70 homeruns during a season.

Slipx
02-19-2005, 05:30 PM
That's interesting, but what it tells me is that despite the beliefs of a few, height and weight advantage really don't mean that much. If they did the greatest heavyweight champs would be guys like Jess Willard, Primo Carnera and Lennox Lewis instead of Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, and Jack Johnson. :boxing:

Putting jack johnson in with the names of Ali and Louis is a disgrace to the sport. just because he was the first black heavyweight champ doesnt mean he was the greatest..if Golata became champion he'd be the first polish hvy champ but would he be the greatest?

anyway ali isnt even in my top five, he was overrated, just like marciano

larry holmes in his prime would have beaten ali, larry had a better jab

id like to say a prime bowe would also beat down ali but since bowe's chin was questionable I cant say that, holmes however, in his prime, had a granite chin.

Sir_Jose
02-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Oh god.

You know you do have to have some kind of SKILL to go along with size to be considered great.

And yes weight does matter in boxing thats why we have weight classes.

buff_mike10
02-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Putting jack johnson in with the names of Ali and Louis is a disgrace to the sport. just because he was the first black heavyweight champ doesnt mean he was the greatest..if Golata became champion he'd be the first polish hvy champ but would he be the greatest?

id like to say a prime bowe would also beat down ali but since bowe's chin was questionable I cant say that, holmes however, in his prime, had a granite chin.

Your right, Holmes had such a more powerful jab

SonnyG8R
02-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Oh god.

You know you do have to have some kind of SKILL to go along with size to be considered great.

And yes weight does matter in boxing thats why we have weight classes.

Weight and height are overrated. And forgive me but I didn't see the stat "skill" anywhere in that tale of the tape. That was my point. The tale of the tape don't mean all that much.

SonnyG8R
02-19-2005, 08:37 PM

Ok pal, do me a favor. Learn the sport and then get back to me. :rolleyes:

leff
02-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks, but why is the older foremann 6.4 and the younger 6.3.

Pluss it says tyson is 5.11 and 3/4.

Thats almost 2 inches more than he useally is.

Tha Greatest
02-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks, but why is the older foremann 6.4 and the younger 6.3.

Pluss it says tyson is 5.11 and 3/4.

Thats almost 2 inches more than he useally is.

Mike Tyson is 5'11....It's maybe with their shoes on

leff
02-20-2005, 05:57 PM
So young george is wearing shoes and old george aint?

Who hte hell measure people with shoes on anyway?

Anyway tyson was offically 5.10 and then they increased it as he got more famous.

tyson
02-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Why is Ali overrated?
Larry Holmes was the main sparring partner for Ali for a looong time, and learned most of his stuff from him.
I know for a fact that Holmes broke Ali's ribs before a fight, but Ali was so sure of winning that he went on with the fight anyways.
Before the Foreman fight, Holmes was told to hit Ali in the body like crazy, while Ali was doing the rope-a-dope, in order to prepare Ali for the fight.
He actually managed to knock down Ali with body punches too, but that was of course without any fighting back from Ali.

I can follow you in the thought of Holmes in his prime being able to beat Ali, but I don't see why you think Ali is overrated?

Slipx
02-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok pal, do me a favor. Learn the sport and then get back to me. :rolleyes:

You mentioned Jack Johnson with Joe Louis and Ali, Louis and Ali= undefeated in their primes,(except for Louis' slip up with Schmeling, but it was a one time affair. If you look at Johnson's record, you'll see sporadic tko/ko losses, granted, back then they took fights on shorter notice, and had no idea who they were fighting, but still, the man's name need not be mentioned with the aforementioned greats.

Jack Johnson's largest accomplishment wasn't even in the ring, it was the way he turned his cheek against the blatant racism that took place in this country, and I highly respect him for it.

Johnson got KO'd by a 34 year old Jesse Willard, this is after giving Willard everything he had.
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/Images/willard.gif

Of course your JJ fans will say he threw the fight, but I disagree, the punch landed flush on his jaw, and the round before that, he took a mean right hand to the heart, making the final blow on that chin that much more shocking to the body. Also, Johnson bet 2500.00 on himself to win that fight, and the referee that did that bout (Jack Welsh) attests to him losing via KO.

I'm not saying that Jack Johnson wasn't great, he was a great fighter, and should definately be mentioned along the lines of great fighters. But if you are gonna pick three fighters, like you did, I would suggest replacing JJ's name with Dempsey, Marciano, or JJ Walcott, because saying JJ fit's in with Ali and Louis two only tells us fellow boxing enthusiasts that you have a miniscule knowledge of the sport.
:hijacked: