View Full Version : Lennox Lewis vs Michael Spinks

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
who would win this fight and how..
Lewis 6ft 41/2 - Spinks 6ft 31/2.. both are well schooled in the art of boxing ability, but will Lewis be able to beat Spinks with his jab, something Larry Holmes was not able to do over 30rds of boxing, size would not be a factor in this fight as Spinks took apart Gerry Cooney who stood 6ft 7ins and who had one of the most destructive left-hooks of the last 50yrs. Spinks was taken out in one round by a peak Mike Tyson and Lewis was taken out in 2rds by Oliver McCall....
Who would win this fight and How?

Abstraction
07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Spinks was an Excellent Boxer.

Arguebally the best LH ever.

At HW, he defeated Larry Holmes (Twice) and ended his unbeaten run.

Spinks is one of the most underrated boxers of all time imo, and is remembered for being KO'd by a Prime Tyson.

But that was Prime Tyson !

If you analyse the two, and compare them head to head, Spinks was one of the most craftiest boxers in history, and would never allow anyone to dominate him. So Lewis's trademark defensive nature by utilizing his reach won't work against someone of Spinks's calibre.

Lewis would be favourite, but i'd expect Spinks to win in an upset.

Spinks by Close UD12 or comfortable UD15.

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Spinks was an Excellent Boxer.

Arguebally the best LH ever.

At HW, he defeated Larry Holmes (Twice) and ended his unbeaten run.

Spinks is one of the most underrated boxers of all time imo, and is remembered for being KO'd by a Prime Tyson.

But that was Prime Tyson !

If you analyse the two, and compare them head to head, Spinks was one of the most craftiest boxers in history, and would never allow anyone to dominate him. So Lewis's trademark defensive nature by utilizing his reach won't work against someone of Spinks's calibre.

Lewis would be favourite, but i'd expect Spinks to win in an upset.

Spinks by Close UD12 or comfortable UD15.

you know your boxing history very well and i agree with everything you say, i see this fight the same as you see it Spinks UD15

Jim Jeffries
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Does anyone really think Spinks beat Holmes either time? While an excellent LHW, and managing to be competitive against an older Holmes at the end of a impressive title reign, there is no way he lasts the distance against a puncher like Lewis.

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Does anyone really think Spinks beat Holmes either time? While an excellent LHW, and managing to be competitive against an older Holmes at the end of a impressive title reign, there is no way he lasts the distance against a puncher like Lewis.
Yes Spinks beat Holmes 10-5rds in there 1st fight 8-7rds in their 2nd fight.. if anyone gets KOd in this fight its most likely Lewis

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes Spinks beat Holmes 10-5rds in there 1st fight 8-7rds in their 2nd fight.. if anyone gets KOd in this fight its most likely Lewis
This match up is almost absurd in Lewis's favour.. Lewis could never get KO'd by Spinks.. He never once wobbled a 38 year old Holmes, needed 4 or 5 shots to put Cooney over (who was an inactive one armed fighter with a suspect chin) and totally **** himself against Mike Tyson.. I'm not ignorant enough to remember him just for that though.. I remember him as the 4th best LH AT, around the same as Lewis at HW..
Can't see Lewis doing the same as Tyson, but I can see him allowing Spinks to box & build up a slight lead, while stalking him for a few rounds.. It wouldn't take long for Lewis to feint a left lead & bring a huge right hand over the top.. Spinks would collapse after about 5 rounds..

MANGLER
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't think Spinks could handle LL's power and jab. LL late KO.

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 03:34 PM
This match up is almost absurd in Lewis's favour.. Lewis could never get KO'd by Spinks.. He never once wobbled a 38 year old Holmes, needed 4 or 5 shots to put Cooney over (who was an inactive one armed fighter with a suspect chin) and totally **** himself against Mike Tyson.. I'm not ignorant enough to remember him just for that though.. I remember him as the 4th best LH AT, around the same as Lewis at HW..
Can't see Lewis doing the same as Tyson, but I can see him allowing Spinks to box & build up a slight lead, while stalking him for a few rounds.. It wouldn't take long for Lewis to feint a left lead & bring a huge right hand over the top.. Spinks would collapse after about 5 rounds.. laughable analysis .. the version of Mike Tyson who Spinks fought would have taken any fighter who ever lived out very quickly that night... Tyson ment business, the look on his face as he entered the ring was terrifying, he looked like he was gonna murder.. Spinks had excellent footwork whereas Lewis had two left feet, no way Lewis beats Spinks

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 04:07 PM
laughable analysis .. the version of Mike Tyson who Spinks fought would have taken any fighter who ever lived out very quickly that night... Tyson ment business, the look on his face as he entered the ring was terrifying, he looked like he was gonna murder.. Spinks had excellent footwork whereas Lewis had two left feet, no way Lewis beats Spinks
That's me out!
If you think my analysis is laughable, we'll see what others have to say.. I won't bother giving opinions for Lewis haters to laugh at.. It's obvious your totaly biased in order to create this ridiculous thread in the 1st place.. "The look on Tysons face" lol.. We're talking about a man whose supposed to be fighting for the undisputed championship of the world.. Being PETRIFIED is NOT an option... "No way Lewis beats Spinks" lol
Now go pick on those that didn't even bother to give you an analysis..

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 04:24 PM
That's me out!
If you think my analysis is laughable, we'll see what others have to say.. I won't bother giving opinions for Lewis haters to laugh at.. It's obvious your totaly biased in order to create this ridiculous thread in the 1st place.. "The look on Tysons face" lol.. We're talking about a man whose supposed to be fighting for the undisputed championship of the world.. Being PETRIFIED is NOT an option... "No way Lewis beats Spinks" lol
Now go pick on those that didn't even bother to give you an analysis..i aint a Lewis hater ive seen him fight `live` 6 times and believe me he is overated, in the early 1990s i thought Lewis was unbeatable after watching him against Mason, McCrory, Williams and Ruddock, i started to have my doubts after his fortunate victory over Bruno in Cardiff, in 94 i sat only a couple of rows from ringside at Wembley for the McCall fight, Lewis got knocked out and leaving the ring he had to be helped down the steps by his handlers, they walked only a couple of feet away from me and i could see Lewis eyes was still glass, "he was out of it" i knew there and then that he was not all i thought he was, Lennox fought timid for the rest of his career, being what i call an oppotunist by only fighting fighters who was on the slide and who he had a huge advantage over... If McCall & Rahman could put Lewis lights out then Michael Spinks with his "Spinks Jinx" would smash his lamp into a million pieces .

Kid McCoy
07-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I***8217;m a big admirer of Spinks, but primarily for what he did as a light-heavy, not heavy. What he did at heavy was just the icing on the cake for a Hall of Fame career.

I don***8217;t really see what Spinks did at heavy to suggest he***8217;d beat Lewis. Prime Lewis is not a 35-year-old Larry Holmes, he***8217;s not Gerry Cooney, and he most certainly is not Steffen Tangstad. The first strong, prime heavy Spinks did face mowed him down in a round. If Spinks had fought and beaten Tony Tucker instead of taking the money fight with Cooney he***8217;d have a much stronger case, but he didn***8217;t.

Spinks had decent pop at heavy, but not the kind of one-shot power of a McCall or Rahman. He never put a serious dent in Holmes in their two fights, and needed about a million flush shots to put Cooney away, even Tangstad got up a couple of times, so I see a Spinks KO win as pretty unlikely.

My pick is Spinks***8217; herky jerky style to make it competitive and awkward, before Lewis eventually catches up to him for a mid-rounds KO.

Ziggy Stardust
07-21-2009, 05:01 PM

I thought Spinks edged an unmotivated and out of shape Holmes in the first fight. I thought Larry CLEARLY won the second fight and got hosed by the judges.

Poet

Abstraction
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Just because Spinks was KO'd by Tyson does not mean Lewis would KO him...

Larry Holmes was hardly over the hill though was he. OK he wasn't at his peak, but he was still the top man at HW. Don't forget, Holmes went on to be successful for like a further decade.

Holmes had one of the best Jabs in history. Far Far better than Lewis, yet it was not enough to keep control of Spinks.

If Spinks can get passed Holmes' Jab, Lewis' Jab would not be that much of a problem.

As for the two bouts, they were close yes, but Spinks took them.

Kid McCoy
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Holmes looked dreadful in the first Spinks fight, barely throwing anything but jabs all night, and a lot of those missed. His jab wasn't the same weapon it had been a few years earlier. I thought he won at least 10 rounds of the rematch, though.

Southpaw Stinger
07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
laughable analysis .. the version of Mike Tyson who Spinks fought would have taken any fighter who ever lived out very quickly that night... Tyson ment business, the look on his face as he entered the ring was terrifying, he looked like he was gonna murder.. Spinks had excellent footwork whereas Lewis had two left feet, no way Lewis beats Spinks

When of course that isn't laughable at all, is it? :rolleyes:

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I've never really considered this matchup. Poor Spinks seems to be forgotten outside of the light heavyweight division. The performances against Holmes were respectable even if you saw them going either way. He also got a good result over Gerry Cooney who lets face it was a big and heavy puncher. That said, I dont remember Cooney really detonating that night as he did against Foreman in 1990.

The Mike Tyson fight was sickeningly one sided, Spinks clearly freezed and didn't have his usual wily guile. He wasn't the only Tyson victim to do this!

Even if the Mike Tyson fight didn't happen I still would find it hard to pick Spinks in a matchup with a prime Lewis (1997 IMO). It might well be a fight Spinks could do well in or win, but I see a prime Lewis as a tougher opponent than the 85/86 version of Holmes, partially down to size, the prime Lewis was faster than the 85/86 Holmes and also had a considerable advantage in sheer hitting power.

I'd plump for a decision for Lewis with a late stoppage very much possible, Spinks may well win rounds and make things very difficult but I dont think he had the power to stop Lewis.

Abstraction
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Don't see why Lewis would only lose by stoppage.

Spinks had many 15 rounders. Larry Holmes is enough imo.

Spinks UD

Silencers
07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I think Lewis wins this by decision, Spinks didn't prove too much at heavyweight apart from beating a faded Larry Holmes in close, somewhat controversial decisions, especially in the rematch so I think Lewis would have won on the outside using his jab and keeping distance, clinching when Spinks gets in close.

Infern0
07-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Spinks got Destroyed by the Mental Midget Tyson.

Lewis would DESTROY him

sonnyboyx2
07-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I've never really considered this matchup. Poor Spinks seems to be forgotten outside of the light heavyweight division. The performances against Holmes were respectable even if you saw them going either way. He also got a good result over Gerry Cooney who lets face it was a big and heavy puncher. That said, I dont remember Cooney really detonating that night as he did against Foreman in 1990.

The Mike Tyson fight was sickeningly one sided, Spinks clearly freezed and didn't have his usual wily guile. He wasn't the only Tyson victim to do this!

Even if the Mike Tyson fight didn't happen I still would find it hard to pick Spinks in a matchup with a prime Lewis (1997 IMO). It might well be a fight Spinks could do well in or win, but I see a prime Lewis as a tougher opponent than the 85/86 version of Holmes, partially down to size, the prime Lewis was faster than the 85/86 Holmes and also had a considerable advantage in sheer hitting power.

I'd plump for a decision for Lewis with a late stoppage very much possible, Spinks may well win rounds and make things very difficult but I dont think he had the power to stop Lewis.i think it would be a tough fight to win for both men, i agree Lewis has a big advantage over Spinks and Holmes in hitting power, but i dont think Holmes was as washed-up as many seem to think, he fought on and had many good wins over the next decade yet Spinks licked him and licked him good in their first fight, Spinks is one of thee greatest ring tacticians in ring history and that includes Larry Holmes, Spinks could go 15rds blind-folded, he was a very very good fighter and as we seen against Cooney he could hit with incredible speed, power and accuracy, he beat Tangsted who some ridicule yet i have lots of fights of Tangsted and i would rate him far better than Mavrovich who Lennox Lewis defended his title against... This match-up is not the cakewalk for Lewis that some seem to quickly think it would be, if Spinks landed the `Spinks Jinx` on Lewis chin at anytime during this fight i see Lewis hitting the canvas, the same would happen if Lennox landed his big right hand on Spinks, IMO Spinks ringcraft wins this fight

Abstraction
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Holmes looked dreadful in the first Spinks fight,

Maybe Spinks had something to do with it??:tapedshut

Sugarj
07-22-2009, 06:23 PM
We seem to be more in agreement on this one Sonnybox than usual, we've been disagreeing on most matters recently. I did say in paragraph 3 that its a fight Spinks could well win.

Yes Larry was more than useful in the 90s, beating Mercer and losing respectably to Holyfield and McCall on points (for a grandfather) was impressive.

I think a peak Holmes (circa 1980) is far more effective than the 85/86 guy. I favour the peak Holmes over Lewis too.

And yes I was not too impressed with Lewis vs Mavrovich much either!

Kid McCoy
07-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Maybe Spinks had something to do with it??:tapedshut

Possibly, although Larry had been looking a bit ropey for a while by that point. Carl the Truth arguably beat him in his previous fight, ditto Witherpoon, and Bonecrusher had given him a tough go too. His best days were behind him and it was only a matter of time before someone knocked him off, imo.

Obviously Spinks deserves full credit for being the one to do it and as an underdog to boot, I just see a big difference between a 35 year old Larry Holmes and a prime Lennox Lewis.

Abstraction
07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Possibly, although Larry had been looking a bit ropey for a while by that point. Carl the Truth arguably beat him in his previous fight, ditto Witherpoon, and Bonecrusher had given him a tough go too. His best days were behind him and it was only a matter of time before someone knocked him off, imo.

Obviously Spinks deserves full credit for being the one to do it and as an underdog to boot, I just see a big difference between a 35 year old Larry Holmes and a prime Lennox Lewis.

Indeed, Larry Holmes had seen better days, but i wouldn't say he was Passed it.

He was still a dominant HW and imo, only a little passed his peak, he was still very very good.

Carl Williams and Bonecrusher gave him a hard time because they too were talented and World Class. But like Spinks, are remembered for being steam rolled by Prime Tyson.

Dan...
07-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Lewis by KO.

TheGreatA
07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Indeed, Larry Holmes had seen better days, but i wouldn't say he was Passed it.

He was still a dominant HW and imo, only a little passed his peak, he was still very very good.

Carl Williams and Bonecrusher gave him a hard time because they too were talented and World Class. But like Spinks, are remembered for being steam rolled by Prime Tyson.

Holmes was past it for sure. He had been in numerous hard fights, looked very slow and his reflexes were close to shot. Spinks of course had a lot to do with how Holmes was made to look but I think he caught Holmes at the right time and won two controversial decisions. Holmes was at his best in 1978-1982 in my opinion.

Spinks was very, very awkward and would be a tough puzzle to solve for most heavyweights. The ones with punching power could turn his lights out however and Lewis is one of them. He was at times overly cautious though and might let Spinks into the fight. If Lewis went at Spinks like he did against Golota and Grant, it might end up being a short night for the much smaller Spinks.

I wouldn't describe Bonecrusher Smith as "talented". To me he is one of the least schooled boxers to ever capture a title. He had big power in his right hand but that was about all he had. Went rounds with both Tyson and Holmes though.

Now Williams was very talented, had a great jab but his chin was found out by Mike Weaver in just two rounds.

sonnyboyx2
07-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Holmes was past it for sure. He had been in numerous hard fights, looked very slow and his reflexes were close to shot. Spinks of course had a lot to do with how Holmes was made to look but I think he caught Holmes at the right time and won two controversial decisions. Holmes was at his best in 1978-1982 in my opinion.

Spinks was very, very awkward and would be a tough puzzle to solve for most heavyweights. The ones with punching power could turn his lights out however and Lewis is one of them. He was at times overly cautious though and might let Spinks into the fight. If Lewis went at Spinks like he did against Golota and Grant, it might end up being a short night for the much smaller Spinks.

I wouldn't describe Bonecrusher Smith as "talented". To me he is one of the least schooled boxers to ever capture a title. He had big power in his right hand but that was about all he had. Went rounds with both Tyson and Holmes though.

Now Williams was very talented, had a great jab but his chin was found out by Mike Weaver in just two rounds.

yes fair comments by most of you guys and i agree with most of the points made... i am not a Lewis hater ` far from it` ive seen the guy fight on 6 occasions, no-one pays good money to watch someone they hate, yet believe me when i say,"There was no excuses to be made the night Lewis got knocked out by McCall" - no fast count, no dodgy referee, etc etc Lewis was gone, and if the referee had not stopped the fight when he did McCall would have ended the career of Lewis...McCall made a comment after the fight claiming Lewis had 2 left feet, no footwork what-so-ever.. in this head-2-head topic i just feel Spinks with his movement, speed and ring-smarts would be to much for Lewis and would win via UD15 ... i am not saying its carved in stone, its just my opinion

mickey malone
07-23-2009, 07:58 AM
yes fair comments by most of you guys and i agree with most of the points made... i am not a Lewis hater ` far from it` ive seen the guy fight on 6 occasions, no-one pays good money to watch someone they hate, yet believe me when i say,"There was no excuses to be made the night Lewis got knocked out by McCall" - no fast count, no dodgy referee, etc etc Lewis was gone, and if the referee had not stopped the fight when he did McCall would have ended the career of Lewis...McCall made a comment after the fight claiming Lewis had 2 left feet, no footwork what-so-ever.. in this head-2-head topic i just feel Spinks with his movement, speed and ring-smarts would be to much for Lewis and would win via UD15 ... i am not saying its carved in stone, its just my opinion
So the Spinx Jinx wouldn't smash his jaw into tiny little pieces then?... Lol... I'm only joking, but surely.... Lewis is simply far too big.. Spinks was right on the edge of his boundaries against a flabby Holmes.. Prime Lewis would stop him, for sure..
As you've noticed... I totally agree with you on the night Lewis got KTFO.. But, I can't find a way to agree on this one..

Sugarj
07-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi Sonnybox, Lennox's footwork was much better in the late 90s under Manny Steward. I dont consider Lewis's peak to be 92-96 at all when you consider him being outboxed by Bruno, KO'd by McCall or given a very close battle with Mercer.

1997 onwards, Lennox was the business

sonnyboyx2
07-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Sonnybox, Lennox's footwork was much better in the late 90s under Manny Steward. I dont consider Lewis's peak to be 92-96 at all when you consider him being outboxed by Bruno, KO'd by McCall or given a very close battle with Mercer.

1997 onwards, Lennox was the businessfair enough you may be correct but my mind immediately went back to the 1st Rahman fight and how Rahman walked Lewis into a corner and casually poleaxed him with a crashing right-hand, Lewis still had 2 left feet in that fight, run a few ATG heavyweights through you mind and how they would have reacted to being backed (walked) into that corner, Ali, Tunney, Dempsey, Frazier, Holmes, Holyfield etc would never have been hit with that punch, Lewis stood there all 6ft5in of him with his chin in the air and his guard by his side, he never had the footwork to spin-out or faint or bob-and-weave... Do you think Michael Spinks would have been walked into that corner and nailed?

Not a chance!

Sugarj
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Agreed, the Lewis that turned up for Rahman one was awful. Undermotivated, undertrained (no altitude training), weighing too much, overconfident.

He was so much better in the return.

mickey malone
07-24-2009, 08:15 AM
fair enough you may be correct but my mind immediately went back to the 1st Rahman fight and how Rahman walked Lewis into a corner and casually poleaxed him with a crashing right-hand, Lewis still had 2 left feet in that fight, run a few ATG heavyweights through you mind and how they would have reacted to being backed (walked) into that corner, Ali, Tunney, Dempsey, Frazier, Holmes, Holyfield etc would never have been hit with that punch, Lewis stood there all 6ft5in of him with his chin in the air and his guard by his side, he never had the footwork to spin-out or faint or bob-and-weave... Do you think Michael Spinks would have been walked into that corner and nailed?

Not a chance!
Do you think that LL would freeze & hit the deck, because Mike Tyson had an evil look on his face...

Not a chance!

Sugarj
07-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Giggling! Yes the 'murderous' post a few days ago about Tyson still raises a smile.

mickey malone
07-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Giggling! Yes the 'murderous' post a few days ago about Tyson still raises a smile.
And in a pathetic 49 seconds to! looooool
Or was it 59 secs... Who cares!

sonnyboyx2
07-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Do you think that LL would freeze & hit the deck, because Mike Tyson had an evil look on his face...

Not a chance!
yes i do, thats why he wanted nothing to do with Tyson in 96 he did not want a career highest payday of $10 million+ he did not want a guaranteed title fight, he ran and accepted $2 million step-a-side, no-one forced him to accept that and fore-go a title shot, he done so because he knew he was a 1st round KO for that version on Mike Tyson, Lewis waited another 6yrs and 2 more prison sentences until Tyson self-destructed even more and was only a shell of his former self which was 12yrs earlier, There was no difference with Lewis victory over that Tyson than what there was with Danny Williams & Kevin McBrides victories over him.... "he was shot`.. Spinks would have a field-day with the man with 2 left feet

TheGreatA
07-24-2009, 05:04 PM
yes i do, thats why he wanted nothing to do with Tyson in 96 he did not want a career highest payday of $10 million+ he did not want a guaranteed title fight, he ran and accepted $2 million step-a-side, no-one forced him to accept that and fore-go a title shot, he done so because he knew he was a 1st round KO for that version on Mike Tyson, Lewis waited another 6yrs and 2 more prison sentences until Tyson self-destructed even more and was only a shell of his former self which was 12yrs earlier, There was no difference with Lewis victory over that Tyson than what there was with Danny Williams & Kevin McBrides victories over him.... "he was shot`.. Spinks would have a field-day with the man with 2 left feet

Tyson didn't want anything to do with Lennox Lewis. He paid Lewis millions of dollars for him to step aside and later vacated his title when he was forced to fight Lewis.

mickey malone
07-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Wasn't it Tyson who paid Lewis to step aside???

Sugarj
07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Forgetting the politics I actually think a fight in 96 would have been pretty competitive. Tyson looked good against Bruno, Seldon and for the first five rounds of Holyfield 1.

Before the Holyfield fight Tyson was gaining some real confidence whereas Lewis was rebuilding after the McCall loss. The Mercer fight was the highlight for Lewis in 1996 and he really struggled.

Tyson might, just might have caught Lewis at the right time should the fight have taken place.

General Zod
05-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I hate Lennox Lewis, lol