View Full Version : Dumbest fight plans ever!!

Dynamite Kid
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Dumbest fight plans ever!!

Foreman v Ali is undisputedly the dumbest of all time imo.

Honeyghan's against Starling was dumb as fcuk to, although he still might have got schooled but not that bad.

Benn vs Watson :wtf1:

VINXGC
07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
no, no, no..

Hatton's last against pacman deserves FULL credit too, lol

BattlingNelson
07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Leonard vs. Duran I. Leonard chose to brawl with Duran.

Hagler vs. Leonard. Hagler's decision to start othodox and continuing to do so for several rounds was not a smart decision IMO.

Dynamite Kid
07-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Leonard vs. Duran I. Leonard chose to brawl with Duran.

Hagler vs. Leonard. Hagler's decision to start othodox and continuing to do so for several rounds was not a smart decision IMO.

Yep, Leonard beat Hagler with his own ego. Hagler seemed like he wanted to prove he could box with Leonard.

Kinetic Linking
07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Some white guy tried to steamroll mike tyson right after he got out of jail. that was sort of funny but it kind of worked until it didn't.

TheGreatA
07-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Norton vs Shavers. Laying on the ropes and taking a beating from one of the hardest punchers of all time was surely not the best of ideas.

Bowe vs Holyfield III. After using movement to beat Bowe in their rematch, Holyfield decides to go right at Bowe (which had lost him the first fight) and eat numerous uppercuts flush. For a moment it seemed as if he could actually win but he was way too tired to capitalize on a stunned Riddick Bowe.

warp1432
07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Mijares-Darchinyan....

Dynamite Kid
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Norton vs Shavers. Laying on the ropes and taking a beating from one of the hardest punchers of all time was surely not the best of ideas.

Bowe vs Holyfield III. After using movement to beat Bowe in their rematch, Holyfield decides to go right at Bowe (which had lost him the first fight) and eat numerous uppercuts flush. For a moment it seemed as if he could actually win but he was way too tired to capitalize on a stunned Riddick Bowe.

You know when you said stunned there it reminded me of the second fight, i dont think people realize that Bowe was rocking in one of those early round just before the bell, i cant remember what round it was but he deffo looked stunned to me.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ePVfmE7P9Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ePVfmE7P9Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rockin'
07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
ya know hearns game plan going into the hagler fight was not to stand and brawl but to move and box. Long story but he pysically was not able to do it that night, bad legs................Rockin':boxing:

TheGreatA
07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
You know when you said stunned there it reminded me of the second fight, i dont think people realize that Bowe was rocking in one of those early round just before the bell, i cant remember what round it was but he deffo looked stunned to me.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ePVfmE7P9Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ePVfmE7P9Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I agree Bowe was hurt there but in the third fight he seemed finished. Holyfield was simply not able to throw any punches, he had put everything into the left hook he knocked Bowe down with and could hardly raise his arms at that point.

Could have been one of the most amazing comebacks of all time because Holyfield was truly taking a beating and George Foreman was actually shouting at the referee to stop it right before Holyfield knocked Bowe down.

Speaking of terrible gameplans, I really don't know what Bowe's plan was in the rematch with Golota. Perhaps he was too weight-drained because the only thing he did in that fight was lay against the ropes and absorb punishment. Golota actually landed nearly 100 punches in one of the rounds.

In the end he did win as Golota was looking for a way out but he paid a heavy price.

Dynamite Kid
07-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree Bowe was hurt there but in the third fight he seemed finished. Holyfield was simply not able to throw any punches, he had put everything into the left hook he knocked Bowe down with and could hardly raise his arms at that point.

Could have been one of the most amazing comebacks of all time because Holyfield was truly taking a beating and George Foreman was actually shouting at the referee to stop it right before Holyfield knocked Bowe down.

Speaking of terrible gameplans, I really don't know what Bowe's plan was in the rematch with Golota. Perhaps he was too weight-drained because the only thing he did in that fight was lay against the ropes and absorb punishment. Golota actually landed nearly 100 punches in one of the rounds.

In the end he did win as Golota was looking for a way out but he paid a heavy price.

Agree.

You know i dont think Holyfield is any kind of puncher at all, so i think it speaks volumes for how far down the road Bowe was in terms of what he had left.

Holyfield hit Bobby Czyz with everything and never rocked him once, i seem to remember him hitting De Leon with the Kitchen sink before De Leon got stopped, he was literally hitting De Leon with the flushest shots he could muster and he was making no imprint. The punch that rocked Tyson was bang on the chin and by rights it should of knocked Tyson out, if Holyfield was any kind of puncher. I think Czyz campaigned at 168 at one point to.

Herbie Hide also shook Bowe a little before that 3rd Holy fight, so Bowe said in his post fight interview anyway.

bojangles1987
07-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Some white guy tried to steamroll mike tyson right after he got out of jail. that was sort of funny but it kind of worked until it didn't.

Yeah, Peter McNeeley lol. That fight being stopped was ridiculous though, McNeeley was plenty able to fight on and was obviously catching Tyson off guard.

warp1432
07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Cotto slugging with Torres was pretty stupid...

MANGLER
07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Moorer ****ed up tryin to slug to a KO over Foreman.

them_apples
07-21-2009, 01:09 AM
a more recent one, Paulie Malignaggi vs Ricky Hatton, decides to wrestle with him when he's already having success on the outside. I have a feeling he was trying to do what Mayweather did only he failed to recognize that Mayweather was popping a right hand into his face as opposed to a jab.

RightCross94
07-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Holyfields plans in the 1st and 3rd Bowe fights weren't smart and cost him lots of punishment. You could perhaps argue that in the 3rd fight his stamina and legs were preventing him from hopping on his bike and boxing like he did in the 2nd fight, but the first fight was just plain over confidence in his strength and power, trying to brawl with a younger, stronger man. Not smart at all Evander.

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Joe Frazier vs George Foreman 2 was an amusing one. Joe obviously thought he could emulate Ali's win and starts by dancing, hitting and moving and after a few rounds of still being dominated trying this he tried to rope a dope and counter! No suprise that he didn't see the sixth round!!!

#1Assassin
07-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Gerald Mclellan would ALWAYS go for a first round KO in all of his fights. including fights with punchers like julian jackson, mugabi and benn. the crazy part is it worked for him most of the time. it wasnt really stupid just kinda crazy.

hattons lack of gameplan and performance has to be #1.

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Henry Akinwande planned to beat Lennox Lewis by cuddling him all night. He did manage to knock Lewis down enroute and was well on his way to victory when Mills Lane threw him out for 'not trying'!

princemanspoper
07-21-2009, 05:45 AM
No he wasn't,he was down on all scorecards and the knockdown was never counted

You know i dont think Holyfield is any kind of puncher at all, so i think it speaks volumes for how far down the road Bowe was in terms of what he had left.

Herbie Hide also shook Bowe a little before that 3rd Holy fight, so Bowe said in his post fight interview anyway.

I think it speaks volumes to how weak Riddick Bowe's chin was

Dynamite Kid
07-21-2009, 05:51 AM
No he wasn't,he was down on all scorecards and the knockdown was never counted

I think it speaks volumes to how weak Riddick Bowe's chin was

Bowe had a suspect chin then ?

He was never Ko'ed.

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi Prince, my post about Akinwande was meant tongue in cheek! Akinwande's performance was clearly the most disgraceful, cowardly display in 1990s heavyweight boxing!

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Oh and it was no shame for Bowe to be shook by a prime Herbie Hide's punches. Two things Hide never lacked were speed and power, ask Tony Tucker and Michael Bentt.

Bowe's chin was pretty solid.

JAB5239
07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Joe Frazier vs George Foreman 2 was an amusing one. Joe obviously thought he could emulate Ali's win and starts by dancing, hitting and moving and after a few rounds of still being dominated trying this he tried to rope a dope and counter! No suprise that he didn't see the sixth round!!!

Lol, his fight plan in their 1st fight may have been worse. Walking right into Georges power zone was horrible strategy.

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Yea neither was too clever, but Frazier probably felt invincible in 1973, being unbeaten and Foreman being the underdog. He should have known better in 1976.

TheGreatA
07-21-2009, 08:09 AM
To be fair I don't think there was any strategy Frazier could have used to beat Foreman.

He fought with his usual style in 1973 and nearly got killed. He tried to use footwork, head movement and counter punching to confuse Foreman in 1976 and went a couple of more rounds.

I don't think he was in the best possible shape for either of them, especially the second fight. Don't see the point in Frazier coming in at nearly 230 lbs.

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Hatton Pac takes the biscuit.. After surviving the 1st round, you'd have thought he'd have tried to raise his guard a little, instead of putting his chin on a plate..
Another one that amazed me was Thompson Eubank2.. Can't remember the round, but Eubank decked Thompson quite heavily.. He took a count, raised himself on groggy legs, & just stood in the corner waiting for Chris to finish him off.. Eubank just did his Charles Atlas impression & waited for him to recover.. Real strange, as he went on to get stopped with a badly closed eye..

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm so suprised that Floyd senior didn't warn Hatton about the right hook which had been catching him all round one in between rounds. Not that it mattered seeing as Ricky was KO'd with a left. No survival instinct at all, he should have covered up and got on his bike a bit in round two!

It was actually the first Thompson fight where the knockdown occurred, Eubank's uppercut which decked him was so beautifully timed. We all know that Eubank was haunted by Michael Watson demons, no suprise he didn't try to finish Thompson off.

Both fights showed that Eubank was clearly the more tallented. I'll never forget Eubank crying at receiving so many cheers from the crowd before the second fight started. The poor sod barely got a cheer when he was winning.....and those eye injuries were nasty.

#1Assassin
07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
I think it speaks volumes to how weak Riddick Bowe's chin was[/QUOTE]

are u serious? bowe was never KOd in his whole career. his chin was good if not great. certainly not weak.

your a tool. he was far from dominated. he fought a stylistic nightmare and did what he had too, adjust.

joe didnt fight badly at all, george just had too much power.

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 09:41 AM
I make a point of not calling anyone names Assassin. Calling me a 'tool' is juvenile.

Frazier didn't win a round in Foreman 2, he tried to copy a blue print from Ali, who was in everyway a stylistic and physically much physically different fighter. It was ridiculous that he even entertained the notion of dancing and moving and then rope a doping.

Granted Frazier landed some good left hooks during the fight and looked entertaining whilst slipping some of George's punches, he was a great heavyweight but come on it was a daft strategy.

#1Assassin
07-21-2009, 09:54 AM
I make a point of not calling anyone names Assassin. Calling me a 'tool' is juvenile.

Frazier didn't win a round in Foreman 2, he tried to copy a blue print from Ali, who was in everyway a stylistic and physically much physically different fighter. It was ridiculous that he even entertained the notion of dancing and moving and then rope a doping.

Granted Frazier landed some good left hooks during the fight and looked entertaining whilst slipping some of George's punches, he was a great heavyweight but come on it was a daft strategy.

what other choice did he have? lets just face it, frazier isnt gon beat foreman no matter how he fights. in the second fight he tried to catch foreman walking in with a big left hook, foreman took it well. he kept boxing and lasted longer. how can u say it was daft? what should he had done instead? gon straight at him and get destroyed in 2 rounds again?

princemanspoper
07-21-2009, 09:59 AM
joe didnt fight badly at all, george just had too much power.

Don't sugarcoat his performance,he was raped for the second time.The biggest reaction either got that night was when joe frazier revealed his silly bald head

#1Assassin
07-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Don't sugarcoat his performance,he was raped for the second time.The biggest reaction either got that night was when joe frazier revealed his silly bald head

bcuz it was a stylistic nightmare. like i said before, frazier would never beat foreman. if they fought 100 times gerorge would win 100 times. that said joe put on a good fight, showed skills and heart. and he didnt go quietly. he performed well he was just in with a man he could not beat.

i was impressed with his skills in that fight, aswell as the fact he wasnt too stubborn to adapt. he did the best he possibly could. landed more shots then the first fight and lasted longer.

and u shouldnt say he got raped, its dissrespectful. u should get in the ring yourself, i know u havent cuz if u did u would have more respect for a warrior like frazier.

TheGreatA
07-21-2009, 10:12 AM

I'm pretty sure he thought Foreman would run out of gas throwing and missing all of the punches that he did but he didn't. Joe's left hooks didn't affect him either.

Frazier did get awarded an even round in round 4 where he landed several counter hooks. He came out more aggressive in the 5th and got caught.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lmVAILcrt0o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lmVAILcrt0o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

All in all I think the best fight he could've fought against Foreman would have been similar to how he fought George Chuvalo, moving in and out, landing combinations and getting out of the way. He was too over-confident the first time and too old and overweight the second time.

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
If Frazier were to fight Foreman ten times he'd probably get beat ten times, poor guy didn't have the sort of chin to absorb Foreman's blows or the reactions to dodge or block enough of them. I admire Joe for the sheer guts he showed getting in the ring that night.

But this was world class boxing, his trainer (I forget if Eddie Futch was with him this night!) had to know Frazier had little chance to win and the last place to survive against George was on the ropes! Ali had the height to pull away from alot of George's blows as he leaned back, but Frazier's 5ft 11 left him a sitting duck.

I couldn't recommend a winning strategy for Frazier. I'm not a world class trainer, he may have done a bit better with more lateral head movement or even by adopting an Archie Moore cross armed defense so as to negate the uppercuts and practiced throwing more counter right hands (he had a good right hand that was sorely underused). Now Foreman may have not expected that any more than a fleet footed Frazier, but either way its too hard an ask for Joe.

A jab and move style was tampering with him far too much, he'd never done this his whole career.

TheGreatA
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KcmMPBT8NAY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KcmMPBT8NAY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Great find Great A.

Theres some nice bobbing from Joe there, hell he was a gold medal winner. Solid amateur credentials. I dont feel any version of Frazier beats Foreman, this one may have lasted to the seventh or eighth. Who knows!!

bojangles1987
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Frazier really just couldn't beat Foreman. Simply too small and Foreman was too strong. You can't blame him for trying different strategies the second time around, he lasted much longer than he did the first time around. I think the best Frazier could have done was to move in and land a couple punches and then clinch. That's it, and even then Foreman would most likely win most the rounds and eventually clock Joe.

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm so suprised that Floyd senior didn't warn Hatton about the right hook which had been catching him all round one in between rounds. Not that it mattered seeing as Ricky was KO'd with a left. No survival instinct at all, he should have covered up and got on his bike a bit in round two!

It was actually the first Thompson fight where the knockdown occurred, Eubank's uppercut which decked him was so beautifully timed. We all know that Eubank was haunted by Michael Watson demons, no suprise he didn't try to finish Thompson off.

Both fights showed that Eubank was clearly the more tallented. I'll never forget Eubank crying at receiving so many cheers from the crowd before the second fight started. The poor sod barely got a cheer when he was winning.....and those eye injuries were nasty.
Both fights were great wars & when you consider Eubank was way past prime & moving up 2 weight divisions against a strong & seasoned cruiser champ, they were great performances, that ironically cemented the one thing always missing throughout his career.. RESPECT.. You're so right, because he got virtually none as an undefeated champion.. So many people, for some reason get offended by eccentrics.. I wonder why this is?....
With regard to Hatton.... Well what do you expect after jumping ship.. Almost like Montgomerie asking Hitler for advice.. Mayweather snr wouldn't have given a damn if Hatton got killed out there.. I expect he was paid up front anyway.. All that surprised me was Hatton commiting suicide like a rabbit in the headlights.. With ref to the KO, it was a right hook.. Hat moved left & straight onto it.. Blinding KO to..

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Frazier really just couldn't beat Foreman. Simply too small and Foreman was too strong. You can't blame him for trying different strategies the second time around, he lasted much longer than he did the first time around. I think the best Frazier could have done was to move in and land a couple punches and then clinch. That's it, and even then Foreman would most likely win most the rounds and eventually clock Joe.
Agreed with all posters..

It's almost impossible to find a way that Joe beats George.. It would mean changing almost everything he does.. The only way he'd do it is by fighting totally from the outside, & firing quick combinations through the middle,while moving off onto the back foot.. In other words Joe would have to become Hector Camacho for the night.. It just aint gonna happen..