View Full Version : The best left jabs in Heavyweight History

boxingbuff
07-20-2009, 04:42 PM
The best left jabs in heavyweight history in order:

Larry Holmes
Sonny Liston
Muhammad Ali
Joe Louis

BTW-Joe Louis's jab is over rated.Look at the films,he used it to set up his other punches.He used it as a "feeler" more than a powerfull jab,that some people believe.

Obama
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
I like Wlad's jab.

Southpaw16BF
07-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Larry Holmes
Sonny Liston
Wladamir Klitschko
Joe Louis
Lennox Lewis
Gene Tunney

boxingbuff
07-20-2009, 04:58 PM
I like Wlad's jab.

The greatest ever?

Who else would you rate as having great left jabs?

Thanks

Obama
07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
The greatest ever?

Who else would you rate as having great left jabs?

Thanks

Nah not the greatest ever, just in addition to the guys you already named. I also rate Ray Mercer's jab pretty highly considering it gave Holyfield and Lewis all kinds of trouble in fights he easily could have won.

Then there's a couple B level guys who had great jabs...I need to watch some 80s fights to remind myself who.

Sugarj
07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Historically it would go something like this:

James Corbett
Jack Johnson
Gene Tunney
Joe Louis
Floyd Patterson (So under rated, clocked faster than Ali's)
Sonny Liston
Muhammad Ali
Larry Holmes
Riddick Bowe
Lennox Lewis
Wladimir Klitschko

There of course were many others, Foreman's deserves a mention for its sheer force, so does Tyson's at his peak, nothing wrong with Holyfield's too.

The best heavyweight left jab in history for me belongs to Larry Holmes. I once had a chat with Earnie Shavers and asked him whose was best between Holmes and Ali because it was such a tough call. Earnie said Ali's was a touch faster but Holmes's hurt more and was so accurate, that was the clincher for me.

As for Louis's jab, I've watched the films and it was a damaging weapon on its own as well as being a range finder for his combinations. Check out the Schmelling rematch for an easy one round example, I think he tripples it at one point. I forget which hapless Louis victim said that 'Louis's left is like being hit by most heavyweight's right'. Nuff said on that one!

TheGreatA
07-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't say that Louis' jab is overrated. It actually doesn't get mentioned all that much whenever people discuss the best jabs in heavyweight history. It was a good punch though, in my opinion. He took the fight out of Baer with the jab, landed it at will.

heatman
07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Holmes wins this hands down for me

princemanspoper
07-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Are you trying to be cute? Why a left jab? considering the three noted greatest jabs in heavyweight history belonged to liston,ali and holmes all of whom used a left jab

why not just say um....jab?

Ziggy Stardust
07-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Then there's a couple B level guys who had great jabs...I need to watch some 80s fights to remind myself who.

Pinklon Thomas.

Poet

Sugarj
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Pinklon Thomas, God Bless him. Shame he didn't bring his jab to the Tyson fight, all the heart in the world aside he was awful that night. Angelo Dundee rightly gave him the verbals in between rounds!

Also in the 80s Carl Williams had a good piston like left jab, Tim Witherspoon, Greg Page, Tony Tubbs, dare I say Tyrell Biggs. Buster Douglas too. World class jabs but pale in comparison with that of Mr Holmes.

Rockin'
07-20-2009, 08:08 PM
I remember watching Renaldo Snipes giving Larry Holmes everything that he could handle with his jab. In the jab depatment he was really good.............Rockin:boxing:

Cotto Rules
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Lennox Lewis deserved to be mentioned.

1SILVA
07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
The best left jabs in heavyweight history in order:

Larry Holmes
Sonny Liston
Muhammad Ali
Joe Louis

BTW-Joe Louis's jab is over rated.Look at the films,he used it to set up his other punches.He used it as a "feeler" more than a powerfull jab,that some people believe.

I would add Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis to that list. The top 4 on your list is my same top 4

Ziggy Stardust
07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Pinklon Thomas, God Bless him. Shame he didn't bring his jab to the Tyson fight, all the heart in the world aside he was awful that night. Angelo Dundee rightly gave him the verbals in between rounds!

Also in the 80s Carl Williams had a good piston like left jab, Tim Witherspoon, Greg Page, Tony Tubbs, dare I say Tyrell Biggs. Buster Douglas too. World class jabs but pale in comparison with that of Mr Holmes.

Funny thing about the Tyson - Thomas fight: I rewatched it again recently and quite honestly Thomas was that bad that night. The HBO announce team actually had Thomas ahead at the time of the stoppage.

Poet

them_apples
07-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Larry Holmes has the best jab to date..it was a cannon in his prime

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Hi Poet, incredible! I watched the fight only a few weeks ago with my mates just for a laugh (as a Tyson slaughter!), its inconceivable how HBO could have had Pinklon ahead. His weedy combinations looked like ineffectual pawings of the air, Tyson clearly walked through everything without blinking.

#1Assassin
07-21-2009, 05:25 AM
holmes. liston second and lewis honorable mention. maybe not the best jab as far as speed and power goes, but he used it well.

princemanspoper
07-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Ken norton managed to out jab the two greatest jabbers when he finally caught up with them.He would out jab Lennox Lewis just as Ray Mercer did

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Yea Norton's jab was good, tricky style. Not incredibly fast or powerful, but hell, he used it well.

I cant see Norton beating Lewis though even if he could out jab him for a while, I think Lewis would do a Foreman, Cooney or Shavers on him.

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 07:16 AM
I'd say Holmes is the undisputed king of the Jabs, closely followed by Lewis..
Liston had the hardest jab, but not the speed to operate it to maximum effect..

Other mentionables..

Ali
Norton
Machen
Tyson
Wlad
Witherspoon
Bruno
Tunney

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 07:46 AM
I would have chipped in Bruno too Mickey but didn't want to face the backlash. For all Frank's other shortcomings his jab was not too shabby, heavy (like a lance!), accurate and he used it well.

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 08:03 AM
I would have chipped in Bruno too Mickey but didn't want to face the backlash. For all Frank's other shortcomings his jab was not too shabby, heavy (like a lance!), accurate and he used it well.
I know lol... But don't forget.... I'm terrified of the bully boy posters lol....

Just going back to Thomas... He was darn lucky not to get himself killed that night..
I remember the pre fight interview.. He'd not long been outta Heroin rehabilitation.. His eyes were glazed, & he was having difficulties in constructing a sentence.. Seeing him get KTFO twice (twice meaning once again on the way down).. It's a wonder he's still alive.. Real shame, cos before the drugs, Larry Holmes touted him as the best jab out there, & Holmes wasn't one for compliments...

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Ha Ha funny guy. Nothing more threatening than an Internet hard man!

No Thomas did have potential, one of the better prospects of the mid eighties. Tremendous and ridiculously quick decline. I gather he faced either Bowe or Lewis at some point as either was climbing the ranks. Not a fight I ever saw but wonder how bad he was in the early 90s.

Its a shame that many of the 80s alphabet heavyweights turned to the hard drugs, alot of wasted talent.

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Ha Ha funny guy. Nothing more threatening than an Internet hard man!

No Thomas did have potential, one of the better prospects of the mid eighties. Tremendous and ridiculously quick decline. I gather he faced either Bowe or Lewis at some point as either was climbing the ranks. Not a fight I ever saw but wonder how bad he was in the early 90s.

Its a shame that many of the 80s alphabet heavyweights turned to the hard drugs, alot of wasted talent.
Note you said 'hard drugs'
Should'a taken a 'leaf' outta Terrible Tims bag...lol

JAB5239
07-21-2009, 08:42 AM

Not according to guys who fought him. James Braddock said Louis' jab was like other heavyweights right hands.

Louis' jab was excellent. It was fast, accurate and powerful. It just gets overlooked in comparison to the rest of his offensive arsenal.

As far as best jabs in history.....Holmes, Liston, Louis, Ali, Wlad, Lennox. All are/were capable of controlling a fight with that punch alone.

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Quite right Mickey, I'll 'crack' my head open on my vintage collection of Tony Tubbs fight films too!

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Oh and thanks for the info JAB, I posted earlier about one of Louis's challengers saying that about Louis's left hand and forgot if it was Braddock or Baer!

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Quite right Mickey, I'll 'crack' my head open on my vintage collection of Tony Tubbs fight films too!
Great example actually.. He had magnificent hand speed for a heavy, & was a force to be reckoned with while corpulent.. Can remember him coming outta rehab, looking comparitively lean & mean, but was brutally KO'd by Lionel Butler who was like a poor mans Tyson at the time..

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Yea Lionel Butler, cannon fodder for Lennox Lewis's rehabilitation after McCall 1.

Some thought Tony Tubbs deserved the verdict over an up and coming Bowe. And fair to him he won round one against a peak Tyson in 1988, a miracle in itself!! Ha ha

The Jackal
07-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Larry Homes best jab in boxing & Ali go down to middleweight Carlos Monzon

princemanspoper
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Yea Norton's jab was good, tricky style. Not incredibly fast or powerful, but hell, he used it well.

I cant see Norton beating Lewis though even if he could out jab him for a while, I think Lewis would do a Foreman, Cooney or Shavers on him.

Lewis isn't foreman,shavers or cooney.Nortons tactics of staying on the ropes cost him against shavers and cooney,Lewis who had a hell of a right hand was a boxer first and foremost.Lennox Lewis like many other outside fighters didn't like pressure and as seen against ray mercer struggled against a pressure fighter with a good jab,something norton was and had

I wouldn't make a prediction as the example I used in Ray Mercer lost a close decision but I'd be very confident in that lewis wouldn't knock him out

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I honestly dont think that Norton had the chin to absorb Lewis's punches even though he would have been a stylistic nightmare for Lewis.

Lewis was a big, heavy handed guy with good speed that would make the seventies Foreman and Shavers look small! The 205Lbs Norton would look tiny in comparison. Lewis's uppercut and straight right would find their targets enough I'm sure to force a mid rounds stoppage if not earlier.

mrswong
07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
muhammad ali's jab, no doubt the best

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Holmes wins this hands down for meHolmes could not out-jab Michael Spinks over 30rds, Holmes also failed to master Bonecrusher Smith & Carl"the truth"Williams, he also struggled with Tim Witherspoon... Muhammad Ali had the fastest and best jab in boxing history even better than Sonny Liston

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Lennox Lewis deserved to be mentioned.Frank Bruno gave Lewis a lesson in how to jab

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 03:45 PM

I cant see Norton beating Lewis though even if he could out jab him for a while, I think Lewis would do a Foreman, Cooney or Shavers on him.Norton would slaughter Lewis... Norton beat Muhammad Ali lost a split decision to Holmes, beat Quarry yet your saying he would get destroyed by china-chin Lennox Lewis ... bazarre

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I honestly dont think that Norton had the chin to absorb Lewis's punches even though he would have been a stylistic nightmare for Lewis.

Lewis was a big, heavy handed guy with good speed that would make the seventies Foreman and Shavers look small! The 205Lbs Norton would look tiny in comparison. Lewis's uppercut and straight right would find their targets enough I'm sure to force a mid rounds stoppage if not earlier.
you may as well say Primo Carnera would beat Norton as Lou Duva described Lewis as another Carnera and over-rated

mickey malone
07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Norton would slaughter Lewis... Norton beat Muhammad Ali lost a split decision to Holmes, beat Quarry yet your saying he would get destroyed by china-chin Lennox Lewis ... bazarre
You're right on one thing.. Bruno did outjab Lewis that night.. You may have noticed I was also the only poster who put him on my list, but hating on Lewis is a pointless waste of time.. And to say he'd get owned by Norton is simply preposterous.. Is it the Canadian thing that's bugging you.. If you're a 90's fan from the UK, this would explain a lot...

them_apples
07-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Lewis isn't foreman,shavers or cooney.Nortons tactics of staying on the ropes cost him against shavers and cooney,Lewis who had a hell of a right hand was a boxer first and foremost.Lennox Lewis like many other outside fighters didn't like pressure and as seen against ray mercer struggled against a pressure fighter with a good jab,something norton was and had

I wouldn't make a prediction as the example I used in Ray Mercer lost a close decision but I'd be very confident in that lewis wouldn't knock him out

I agree, Lewis isn't a destructive knock out artist like those guys mentioned, he's a boxer with good power at times.

boxingbuff
07-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Norton 205lbs?

I just watched Ali-Norton 11,and I swore he weighed 218 lbs.

Anybody have Norton's weight against Ali 3 times,and Forman?

TheGreatA
07-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Norton 205lbs?

I just watched Ali-Norton 11,and I swore he weighed 218 lbs.

Anybody have Norton's weight against Ali 3 times,and Forman?

vs Ali I 210 lbs
vs Ali II 205 lbs
vs Foreman 212 lbs
vs Quarry 218 lbs
vs Ali III 217 lbs
vs Holmes 220 lbs

Ziggy Stardust
07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi Poet, incredible! I watched the fight only a few weeks ago with my mates just for a laugh (as a Tyson slaughter!), its inconceivable how HBO could have had Pinklon ahead. His weedy combinations looked like ineffectual pawings of the air, Tyson clearly walked through everything without blinking.

Out of curiosity who was doing the broadcast in the one you watched? If you have the HBO broadcast watch it again and listen to the commentary especially Larry Merchant: I think he gave like three rounds in a row to Thomas.

Poet

Sugarj
07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Poet, it was a British broadcast, I think it was Steve Holdsworth commentating. Shame I dont have the HBO version, not that Larry Merchant would trick me out of what I thought I was actually viewing.

Bless Larry Merchant I love and hate him in equal doses. His analysis can be awful, but I love his post fight interviews, he'll ask anything! His worst colour commentary has to be in Byrd vs Ibeabuchi, calling Chris Byrd cowardly when he was clearly outboxing a monster in Ibeabuchi (who stopped him eventually).

Oh and hi Boxingbuff, I always fancied that the peak Norton was the 1973 guy who faced Ali twice and swapped close decisions, The Great A was right with his 205lb statistic.

Ziggy Stardust
07-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Poet, it was a British broadcast, I think it was Steve Holdsworth commentating. Shame I dont have the HBO version, not that Larry Merchant would trick me out of what I thought I was actually viewing.

Bless Larry Merchant I love and hate him in equal doses. His analysis can be awful, but I love his post fight interviews, he'll ask anything! His worst colour commentary has to be in Byrd vs Ibeabuchi, calling Chris Byrd cowardly when he was clearly outboxing a monster in Ibeabuchi (who stopped him eventually).

Oh and hi Boxingbuff, I always fancied that the peak Norton was the 1973 guy who faced Ali twice and swapped close decisions, The Great A was right with his 205lb statistic.

The HBO version is in this package if you want to get a load of the commentary:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=64RUGSRP