View Full Version : Ricky Hatton

m00ks
11-18-2004, 07:16 PM
I didn't much about Ricky till about 3 days ago when I ddl some of his fights. Funny experience. The kid has somewhat of a potential, good technique but the fact that he only fights in England tells me he don't have the hunger, will and heart. I found it funny how they comentators are in awe of this guy and said the he just defeated "the man who beat the man" refering to a 39 year old Phillips, even overhyping his win against old man Vinny. Also the crowd shouting "Come on Ricky" was amusing and how even before the scorecards are being read he puts on his little cap and goes and see mom and dad. Lol I can see why he doesn't want to fight anywhere else. He's got it made there.

Deejay
11-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Hahaha..that's the english for ya...they're sporting mad but without their fair share of champions. So when someone remotely good at their sport comes up they hype him/her into the stratosphere. Hatton is good but he needs to go to the US and fight a name opponent that's all.

m00ks
11-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Hahaha..that's the english for ya...they're sporting mad but without their fair share of champions. So when someone remotely good at their sport comes up they hype him/her into the stratosphere. Hatton is good but he needs to go to the US and fight a name opponent that's all.

Sham if he doesn't. I see power and technique but I don't think he'd win as convingcingly against p4p fighters ala Cotto Tszyu Mayweather Gatti.

Cletus Funk
11-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Sham if he doesn't. I see power and technique but I don't think he'd win as convingcingly against p4p fighters ala Cotto Tszyu Mayweather Gatti.

Yeah, he definitely needs to start fighting this kind of quality on a regular basis to advance any further. He's not really getting tested at the minute as he's reached a level where he is beating guys like Tackie too easily.

Invader_Stu
11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Hehe, yup - thats English sport for you. Their commentators will praise him till the cows come home, and while he's sitting pretty over there why should he move? Hehe, he probably likes easy money, as opposed to fighting quality fighters and getting KTFO.

bigbadbri
11-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Hatton actually fought in the USA about 5 years ago, at least he isn't afraid of flying. As for the commentators, that would probably have been Ian Darke and Jim Watt, they think the sunshines out of Hatton's backside. I think you will find in the next 6-8 months if a big name fighter does'nt want to come too the UK, then Ricky will travel. Don't disrespect Hatton yet, he's still a young fighter and although he fought a second rate opponent in Mike Stewart, he did to him in 5 rounds what Sharmba Mitchell couldn't do in 12.

tony
11-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Yeah, next year will be the make or break year for Ricky. I think Frank Warren is more to blame than Hatton is in regards to flying outside of the UK. I think Hatton wants to fight the best but Warren never wanted to put his charge at risk. They were both making so much money for fighting no-marks in Manchester... We'll find out what Hatton's really got next year.

m00ks
11-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Hatton actually fought in the USA about 5 years ago, at least he isn't afraid of flying. As for the commentators, that would probably have been Ian Darke and Jim Watt, they think the sunshines out of Hatton's backside. I think you will find in the next 6-8 months if a big name fighter does'nt want to come too the UK, then Ricky will travel. Don't disrespect Hatton yet, he's still a young fighter and although he fought a second rate opponent in Mike Stewart, he did to him in 5 rounds what Sharmba Mitchell couldn't do in 12.

Mitchell isn't as agressive or imposing as Hatton. He is a boxer by nature and therefore isn't expected to get a fast KO against anybody. The kid looks ok it's just that he's being fed to many patsy opponents and that would be his downfall against p4p opponents. He wouldn't know what to do when the battle is harder to win.

elveiel
11-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Hehe, yup - thats English sport for you. Their commentators will praise him till the cows come home, and while he's sitting pretty over there why should he move? Hehe, he probably likes easy money, as opposed to fighting quality fighters and getting KTFO.

WTF!? the english commentator slate him, the English press give all the sport stars hell!! I was watching Showtime covering a Hatton fight after watching Sky tv covering it and The Showtime commentator praising him twice a much as Sky tv were!

Why fight for big money at home when you can travel across the world and fight for nothing!!?? Yeah that makes sense!! :confused:

The rings in the US are exactly the same as the UK!! Why would it make him better for fighting in the US? :rolleyes:

Without the fair share of champions!? have you ever seen how small the UK is?? the ratio of champions per person is brilliant.

Cletus Funk
11-19-2004, 01:54 PM
WTF!? the english commentator slate him, the English press give all the sport stars hell!! I was watching Showtime covering a Hatton fight after watching Sky tv covering it and The Showtime commentator praising him twice a much as Sky tv were!

Why fight for big money at home when you can travel across the world and fight for nothing!!?? Yeah that makes sense!! :confused:

The rings in the US are exactly the same as the UK!! Why would it make him better for fighting in the US? :rolleyes:

Without the fair share of champions!? have you ever seen how small the UK is?? the ratio of champions per person is brilliant.

I definitely agree that it doesn't matter where Hatton fights as long as it's against the top guys...why don't some of these American boys prove they can travel? If the Kosta fight ever comes off the best place for that would probably be London with the high number of Aussies living there, but everyone's saying he should travel to the US for that. I don't recall Barry McGuigan getting all this **** and he only fought outside of Britain twice and outside of Northern Ireland on a handfull of occasions.

m00ks
11-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I definitely agree that it doesn't matter where Hatton fights as long as it's against the top guys...why don't some of these American boys prove they can travel? If the Kosta fight ever comes off the best place for that would probably be London with the high number of Aussies living there, but everyone's saying he should travel to the US for that. I don't recall Barry McGuigan getting all this **** and he only fought outside of Britain twice and outside of Northern Ireland on a handfull of occasions.

Well he hasn't been fighting quality opposition and the fighters that are fed to him don't even stand a chance. In the US there is an overflow of talent specially in his division. No one will fight him in the UK because if the fight is close and goes to the cards, Hatton will get the win.

Honestly, pit Hatton against a Cotto or a Gatti or a Tsyu and he won't be smiling anymore.

Cletus Funk
11-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Well he hasn't been fighting quality opposition and the fighters that are fed to him don't even stand a chance. In the US there is an overflow of talent specially in his division. No one will fight him in the UK because if the fight is close and goes to the cards, Hatton will get the win.

Honestly, pit Hatton against a Cotto or a Gatti or a Tsyu and he won't be smiling anymore.

KT maybe, but Gatti would get beaten down fairly quickly...I've met Hatton and he's massive for the weight. Cotto's no more proven than Hatton but I won't say your wrong as I've seen very little of him. He'd have to be on level close to KT to do it though IMO.

I disagree that the UK has a record of home town decisions. There's more of a history of bad decisions in the US than anywhere except for maybe Germany and Italy.

elveiel
11-19-2004, 02:28 PM
KT maybe, but Gatti would get beaten down fairly quickly...I've met Hatton and he's massive for the weight. Cotto's no more proven than Hatton but I won't say your wrong as I've seen very little of him. He'd have to be on level close to KT to do it though IMO.

I disagree that the UK has a record of home town decisions. There's more of a history of bad decisions in the US than anywhere except for maybe Germany and Italy.

I agree.

The UK judges are too fair :D The only time i have a guy from oversea's robbed was G.Jones vs J.Nelson!! and that was only a draw!! The worst are(in order) Germany, Italy and US.

I have seen Cotto since he turned pro and its a 50/50 for Hatton, it depends on how well the styles mix. The only come forward pressure fighter cotto's faced(Ndou) give him a lot of trouble, I'm 100% certain Hatton is a lot better than Ndou.

m00ks
11-19-2004, 02:58 PM

Don't count Gatti out that quickly. He's faced a lot and I mean A LOT more quality opposition than Hatton and have been in memorable war. His will and heart is unparralled, his chin tested. If Mcgee was able to drop Hatton, Gatti can inflict a lot of damage. The man's got power and I think Hatton would be in for a ride. It would be bodyshots galore if the two ever face each other but I think Gatti has Hatton's number.

As a writer once said, Hatton should avoid Cotto like a plaque. The kid is too tough and too hungry.

elveiel
11-19-2004, 03:12 PM
Don't count Gatti out that quickly. He's faced a lot and I mean A LOT more quality opposition than Hatton and have been in memorable war. His will and heart is unparralled, his chin tested. If Mcgee was able to drop Hatton, Gatti can inflict a lot of damage. The man's got power and I think Hatton would be in for a ride. It would be bodyshots galore if the two ever face each other but I think Gatti has Hatton's number.

As a writer once said, Hatton should avoid Cotto like a plaque. The kid is too tough and too hungry.

Gatti's been dropped and stopped by some average fighters, his chins good but i wouldnt say its anything special.

Hatton chins solid, Magee didnt hurt even hurt him, it was just a flash knockdown with a counter punch. Hatton taken some big shots a been ok so i have no reason to doubt it.

I wouldnt write Gatti off but Hattons got a lot more to offer than Micky Ward(no disrespect to Ward). It would be a very good fight.

m00ks
11-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Gatti's been dropped and stopped by some average fighters, his chins good but i wouldnt say its anything special.

Hatton chins solid, Magee didnt hurt even hurt him, it was just a flash knockdown with a counter punch. Hatton taken some big shots a been ok so i have no reason to doubt it.

I wouldnt write Gatti off but Hattons got a lot more to offer than Micky Ward(no disrespect to Ward). It would be a very good fight.

Well Ward got mad outboxed specially in the second fight. Ward may not be the best boxer but is tough as nails with a super chin...and Gatti dropped him.
It's so hard to rate Hatton however because of his lack of quality opposition. I just don't get it. I heard he became a mandatory for two alphabet belts and didn't do **** with it. I mean, some guys would kill to get that shot but him, he's in no hurry. 37 wins and still won't leave the country.

Silverfox
11-19-2004, 06:36 PM
And that says it all! Ricky Hatton will punch the **** out of the top contenders in the US! He is the only fighter who is capable of a sustained body attack. Not for a long time, have I seen a boxer who has so learned his trade.
Don't underestimate this boykie!! He is destined for great heights!

m00ks
11-19-2004, 07:04 PM
And that says it all! Ricky Hatton will punch the **** out of the top contenders in the US! He is the only fighter who is capable of a sustained body attack. Not for a long time, have I seen a boxer who has so learned his trade.
Don't underestimate this boykie!! He is destined for great heights!

What makes you so sure if he has never fought anybody worth mentioning? What makes you so sure he'll do amazing in the US against the world elites when he himself is unproven?

chrisa
11-19-2004, 07:10 PM
unstoppable,,, it will take a big man to take him out

m00ks
11-19-2004, 07:26 PM
unstoppable,,, it will take a big man to take him out

it aint all about the size

elveiel
11-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Well Ward got mad outboxed specially in the second fight. Ward may not be the best boxer but is tough as nails with a super chin...and Gatti dropped him.
It's so hard to rate Hatton however because of his lack of quality opposition. I just don't get it. I heard he became a mandatory for two alphabet belts and didn't do **** with it. I mean, some guys would kill to get that shot but him, he's in no hurry. 37 wins and still won't leave the country.

Boxings about the money, it was nice when people wanted to be world champ but now there are so many belts its no big deal anymore! Hatton doesnt want to fight into his 30's, so he needs to set up his retirement fund and look after his family. Thats why he aint going to take chump change against fighters like Harris and Mitchell. You cant blame the man for that, i'd do exactly the same!

I feel its Hattons time to step up now and fight the elite, a fight with Gatti would be amazing, the general feeling is that Hatton would KO Gatti late but it could easily go the other way. The Gatti vs Ward fights were great but i always felt that Gatti was a better fighter, its possible this could be a closer fight in terms of ability.

I dont understand why the location of fights is an issue!? Hatton doesnt get any favours from the refs or judges, the fans will help Hatton slighty but if i were a Hatton opponent i would love to step out at the M.E.N. with all that hate, i'd be fired up and ready for a war!! Its better than going to a small arena with neutral fans, where's the fun in that??

elveiel
11-19-2004, 08:05 PM
it aint all about the size

I agree, but it will take a big puncher to take him out. I'd be a little worried about Harris's straight right and very worried about every shots Tszyu throws, that man can punch!!!

m00ks
11-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Boxings about the money, it was nice when people wanted to be world champ but now there are so many belts its no big deal anymore! Hatton doesnt want to fight into his 30's, so he needs to set up his retirement fund and look after his family. Thats why he aint going to take chump change against fighters like Harris and Mitchell. You cant blame the man for that, i'd do exactly the same!

I feel its Hattons time to step up now and fight the elite, a fight with Gatti would be amazing, the general feeling is that Hatton would KO Gatti late but it could easily go the other way. The Gatti vs Ward fights were great but i always felt that Gatti was a better fighter, its possible this could be a closer fight in terms of ability.

I dont understand why the location of fights is an issue!? Hatton doesnt get any favours from the refs or judges, the fans will help Hatton slighty but if i were a Hatton opponent i would love to step out at the M.E.N. with all that hate, i'd be fired up and ready for a war!! Its better than going to a small arena with neutral fans, where's the fun in that??

Good points. But as you said this could be a close fight and it's possible that close rounds might be given to Hatton. With judges these days it's hard to take that risk. Also, I don't think that it should be the elite 140lbers chasing Hatton. For what? If anything it should be Hatton chasing THEM around because the issue here is to erase people's doubts about Ricky.

Like you said it's all buisness. This would certainly be a PPV bout and HBO ain't gonna fly all their equipment and personnel all the way to England. Too much cost when there are plenty of crowd attracting venues in the US. MGM Grand, Staples Center take your pick.

This is what I do not get. Everyone fights in the US. Fighters from accross the globe. Why doesn't Ricky do the same? Why do fighters have to come to HIM in England?

m00ks
11-19-2004, 09:15 PM
I agree, but it will take a big puncher to take him out. I'd be a little worried about Harris's straight right and very worried about every shots Tszyu throws, that man can punch!!!

KT is a cyborg. He doesn't seem human. Also I wanan see Ricky against Floyd Mayweather. How would he fare against a master boxer with near impenetrable defense?

Cletus Funk
11-20-2004, 02:31 AM
KT is a cyborg. He doesn't seem human. Also I wanan see Ricky against Floyd Mayweather. How would he fare against a master boxer with near impenetrable defense?

PBF has got the tools to outpoint him, no doubt. If he tries his **** on the ropes though I think he'd be in trouble. It's yet to be seen how PBF copes with a real top 140'er who can bang and who doesn't stop throwing punches.

Cletus Funk
11-20-2004, 03:05 AM
What makes you so sure if he has never fought anybody worth mentioning? What makes you so sure he'll do amazing in the US against the world elites when he himself is unproven?

Possibly the same thing that makes people over there go so nuts over Cotto?

elveiel
11-20-2004, 06:35 AM
Good points. But as you said this could be a close fight and it's possible that close rounds might be given to Hatton. With judges these days it's hard to take that risk. Also, I don't think that it should be the elite 140lbers chasing Hatton. For what? If anything it should be Hatton chasing THEM around because the issue here is to erase people's doubts about Ricky.

Like you said it's all buisness. This would certainly be a PPV bout and HBO ain't gonna fly all their equipment and personnel all the way to England. Too much cost when there are plenty of crowd attracting venues in the US. MGM Grand, Staples Center take your pick.

This is what I do not get. Everyone fights in the US. Fighters from accross the globe. Why doesn't Ricky do the same? Why do fighters have to come to HIM in England?

I get the impression he's no going to play ball with fighters who demand more money than they are worth, Frank Warrens VERY clever business man and wont be robbed by fighters with similar records to Hatton, regardless of US reputation and titles the won by beating weak opponents. Because lets face it who have Harris, Cotto and Mitchell beaten to get this respect?? NOBODY SPECIAL!

Warren is under big pressure to get Hatton the big fights, Ricky will fight in the US, he would fight anywhere but against opponents like i mention the only way of making enough money is the sell out the M.E.N and have SKY & Showtime backing. It doesnt make good business sense to fight outside the UK, why do you think Bob Arum would rather Cotto fight Hatton in the UK?? Because Hatton generates so much money there, Bob Arum is also a very clever business man!!

Hatton can fight Gatti and Tszyu anywhere, i'm certain them two can generate enough cash to keep everyone happy because they both have a huge fan bases and ppv appeal, So i doubt Hatton would have any problem fighting abroad for them.

elveiel
11-20-2004, 06:49 AM

PBF has got the tools to outpoint him, no doubt. If he tries his **** on the ropes though I think he'd be in trouble. It's yet to be seen how PBF copes with a real top 140'er who can bang and who doesn't stop throwing punches.

Mayweathers a great fighter, hes a true champion because he wants to fight the best, i give him a lot of respect for that(i hate him out of the ring though)

I have picked Hatton to beat Mayweather a long time ago, everone thought i was crazy but a lot people are changing there mind now, obviously most think Mayweather will win and some people still think i'm crazy! :D

I watch a lot of Mayweather and Hatton fights, if Hatton backs Maywether up like Castillo and Chavez did then Mayweather would get beaten. Mayweather has the ability to beat Hatton on points but it would be hard under all that pressure.

BigMikeD
11-28-2004, 09:19 PM
i totally agree

BigMikeD
11-28-2004, 09:19 PM
gatti is done

BigMikeD
11-28-2004, 09:20 PM
yes he really can punch

moochi
12-17-2004, 07:10 AM
i don't think that much of him at all.............although he is young and has potential..apart from that "who" has he beaten.......his best opponent was a fading ben tackie.

elveiel
12-18-2004, 07:42 AM
i don't think that much of him at all.............although he is young and has potential..apart from that "who" has he beaten.......his best opponent was a fading ben tackie.

Its been mentioned before in this thread about other fighters opponents, Hattons is no worst then most of the top 5 fighters.

I have watched most of Hattons fights, and i know that the guys he's beaten have ability. there definitly not bums, they deserve a lot more respect than people give them.

RobbieD
12-19-2004, 02:28 PM
I love how people go on about Hatton and Calzaghe not travelling as a negative on them. Do they have it made here? Yeah I guess so. But they are also draws here both in buildings and on TV which is more than I can say about a lot of American fighters. And when in the blue hell do "marquee" American fighters ever fight abroad? The decent names and not the Vivian "I've seen girls with more balls than me" Harris' of the world.

amaru
12-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Its been mentioned before in this thread about other fighters opponents, Hattons is no worst then most of the top 5 fighters.

I have watched most of Hattons fights, and i know that the guys he's beaten have ability. there definitly not bums, they deserve a lot more respect than people give them.

i agree with you but i think 2005 is the year hatton must have a fight with a top 5 140lb fighter, whether its tzsyu, vivian harris, mayweather or gatti, he needs a big fight to truly show if he is to be considered an elite fighter. if he doesnt get a big fight next year then hatton should consider gettin rid of frank warren.

elveiel
12-19-2004, 06:39 PM
i agree with you but i think 2005 is the year hatton must have a fight with a top 5 140lb fighter, whether its tzsyu, vivian harris, mayweather or gatti, he needs a big fight to truly show if he is to be considered an elite fighter. if he doesnt get a big fight next year then hatton should consider gettin rid of frank warren.

I see Warren as part of the Hatton problem, i think the main problem is the opponents demanding more than they are worth because they know Hatton brings the money and could be a risky fight. Warrens only a problem in the sense he's not as powerful in the US as he is in the UK, Warren can normally control any deal in the UK but i imagine its very difficult against big named US based fighters with very big ego's.

The only promoter i think can do a better job than Warren in the US(not the UK) is Arum, but i dont think Hatton and Cotto under the same promoter would be good for the division/sport.

Hattons got to fight a top 5 fighter at 140 in 2005, Warren knows there no were else to turn and he has to take any deal he can agaisnt Tszyu, if he doenst he could lose his golden boy or have to make a match he doesnt want to make yet against Cotto.