View Full Version : The Fist Of Pacman

ZEZ
02-15-2005, 11:07 PM
The Day Cometh.when The Boxing World Explodeth In Cheers For The Pacman's Fists Of Fury. But Only Time Can Tell.because Morales Hast It,too. To Thee My Fellow-boxing-fans! Let's Wait & See The Thrillia! :)

AIR_KENG
02-15-2005, 11:10 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

WTF???

AIR_KENG
02-15-2005, 11:12 PM
since you mentioned pac's fist... anybody noticed how big manny's fist is compared to morales'? look at the press conference pictures when they stood beside each other...

.::|ULTIMATE|::.
02-16-2005, 12:19 AM
since you mentioned pac's fist... anybody noticed how big manny's fist is compared to morales'? look at the press conference pictures when they stood beside each other...

I've seen a couple and it seems to depend on the angle. THere are other pictures where Morales' fist looks bigger or the same.

m00ks
02-16-2005, 12:34 AM
I didn't notice, heres a pic

m00ks
02-16-2005, 12:34 AM
yep looks a bit bigger

ZEZ
02-16-2005, 03:52 AM
I Don't Know The Size But Perhaps KADYO Knows It. Is He In By Now ? Kinda Hope So We could Know better That Size. Coz He's Veteran In Boxing Info.:)JOKEEE ;)
SIZE DOESN'T MATTER THOUGH,IT'S THE ABILITY TO LUNCH MUCH POWER.

J !
02-16-2005, 08:45 AM
ITS THE ANGLE OF PICTURE I GUESS.

but more to the point

who cares?

Pugnacious_Z
02-19-2005, 02:13 AM
im not sure but i have a theory that if u have bigger hands they shud be heavier and u shud have heavier hands. i believe punch force cums from ur bone density and fist size. and dats the first part, then its the speed and how much u weigh

Slipx
02-21-2005, 04:22 PM
smaller fist=

more powerful punch

Crouching Tiger
02-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Fist size or bone structure has nothing to do with power. Force or power comes from within. And size won't matter much since they will be wearing more or less the same kind of gloves.

But in bare-knuckle fighting, having a larger fist has a small advantage because it's the fists that comes in contact with the opponent and which lands the blow or punch. So the larger the fists, the bigger the area of contact or the better chances of landing the punch; conversely, the harder the fists (due to bone structure), the harder the blow is felt. :boxing:

02-21-2005, 06:42 PM
im not sure but i have a theory that if u have bigger hands they shud be heavier and u shud have heavier hands. i believe punch force cums from ur bone density and fist size. and dats the first part, then its the speed and how much u weigh

Im pretty sure #1 is technique lol :D

{BrownBomber}
02-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Fist size or bone structure has nothing to do with power. Force or power comes from within. And size won't matter much since they will be wearing more or less the same kind of gloves.

But in bare-knuckle fighting, having a larger fist has a small advantage because it's the fists that comes in contact with the opponent and which lands the blow or punch. So the larger the fists, the bigger the area of contact or the better chances of landing the punch; conversely, the harder the fists (due to bone structure), the harder the blow is felt. :boxing:
Your right the other day ate one plate of beans and I farted the same as when I ate two plates.lol

fist-of-fury
02-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Your right the other day ate one plate of beans and I farted the same as when I ate two plates.lol

Bleeeaaach!! I can just imagine the force! Must have been like being hit by Pacman's left hook ten times!! :Flush: :puke:

AIR_KENG
02-22-2005, 06:15 AM
ITS THE ANGLE OF PICTURE I GUESS.

but more to the point

who cares?
nah, just brought it up... hehe... well, some answered so they cared, lol...

AIR_KENG
02-22-2005, 06:17 AM
smaller fist=

more powerful punch
obviously a morales nuthugger, hehe, lol.... just messin' with you... or am I?

Kid Achilles
02-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Whoever said that fist size and bone structure have nothing to do with power is wrong. It is the sole reason that a fighter's power decreases as they go up in weight. ODLH can weigh just as much as his middleweight opponents but he has a smaller bone structure than those guys and will never have a big punch at that weight.

The boxers whose power remains the same as they go up in weight either a.) hit so hard for their frame size that even when they move up they still have enough "relative power" to be devastating or b.) have a large frame and are just really scrawny (fat and muscle wise) so that they were actually fighting at a lower body weight than was natural for them. When they move up they are actually just filling in and fighting at their natural weight class. ODLH is an example of a natural welter who fought at lightweight and it was obvious when you compared his size to his opponents.

Nearly all of the big time punchers had huge hands. Liston, Dempsey, Louis, Shavers, Foreman. All of these guys had hands that were noticeably large for their bodies. Meanwhile, lighter hitting guys like Tunney and Ali for the most part had hands that were average or even small. Jake LaMotta had notoriously small womanlike hands and he scored only 30 KO's in over 100 fights in spite of the fact that he was an explosive slugger and one of the most savage guys to step into the ring. He had the mentality and body mechanics to be a big puncher, but his hands were just too small.

So hand size does play a part in punching power. It is not the only factor by a long shot (as evidenced by Tua who has small hands but is a huge puncher or Fre Oquendo who has large hands and is a mediocre puncher), but to say it does not figure in at all would be foolish.

Crouching Tiger
02-22-2005, 05:56 PM
So hand size does play a part in punching power. It is not the only factor by a long shot (as evidenced by Tua who has small hands but is a huge puncher or Fre Oquendo who has large hands and is a mediocre puncher), but to say it does not figure in at all would be foolish.

You may have some points there, but we may be talking about 2 different things.

As I meant it, the fists (whatever their size or structure are) doesn't have power ON THEIR OWN. You have to give them some kind of force to make it punch. If you don't, they'll just hang lamely on your side, right?. So how do you add power to the punch?

One is correct leverage or pivoting or weight-shifting which transfers weight down at the feet and legs, which in turn sends the hip, which in turn sends the shoulder, and finally the hands or fists.

(Bruce Lee, in one of his movies beautifully demonstrated this technique, and how effective it is regardless of one's size).

Another is proper bone or joint alignment (not structure!). All bones function as perfect transmitters of force. Misaligned, over-tensed, or under-tensed joints will vent off your power. Boxers who wing their punches, for instance, will tend to lose power at the shoulder and elbow. Boxers who bend their wrists when they hook, for another example, will tend to lose the power of that punch at the wrist.

Power in a punch, as in kicks, also comes from good follow-through and not locking out your punches.

There may be more and all these are developed through proper training and exercises.

Good day, amigo! :boxing:

Kid Achilles
02-25-2005, 10:09 PM
I am in agreeance with you 100%. I simply meant that fist size was a factor, but nowhere near the most important.

Moon
02-25-2005, 11:09 PM
smaller fist= more powerful punch
WTF? Are you talking some kinda' new Physics?

Moon
02-25-2005, 11:20 PM
... having a larger fist has a small advantage because it's the fists that comes in contact .... So the larger the fists, the bigger the area of contact or the better chances of landing the punch
Think about pressure distribution (or, force per unit area). Any given force (like a certain fighter's straight flush right hand) when distrubuted over a larger area, has lesser effect. You know, kinda' like 4x4 tires that are tall and skinny, so the weight (i.e., force) of the vehicle is spread-out over a smaller area, which provides greater pressure. Smaller bare hand, bigger effect, for any given fighter.

Trouble is, there's also that equal-and-opposite-reaction **** which means the smaller bare hand feels that increased pressure too, which might mean a snapped bone or two. In which case, the bigger hand would be better. With gloves though, the effect depends on how much of the glove has made contact. Which explains why alot of guys go down on "glancing" blows, which have very little area for all that force to be absorbed over.

Lecture over, time for a beer, make it a Keiths IPA.

Moon
02-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Jake LaMotta had notoriously small womanlike hands and he scored only 30 KO's in over 100 fights in spite of the fact that he was an explosive slugger and one of the most savage guys to step into the ring. He had the mentality and body mechanics to be a big puncher, but his hands were just too small.

This is possibly one of the smartest posts ever. Lamotta used to say that his hands always ****in' hurt and he had to "take it easy". His small fingers/knuckles were often dislocated and Jake said he also had some very nasty finger breaks.

Crouching Tiger
02-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Lecture over, time for a beer, make it a Keiths IPA.

Great lecture. First bottle's on me! Cheers! :beerchug:

scottie
02-26-2005, 11:15 PM
big or small, don't matter to me, as long as it connects on the jaw, and harrrrd!!!

juicyjoo
03-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Pacquiao by TKO, corner stoppage or ref stoppage. Speed kills. So does unorthodox headmovement and power.

J !
03-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Pacquiao by TKO, corner stoppage or ref stoppage. Speed kills. So does unorthodox headmovement and power.

IM GONNA HAVE TO GO FOR MORALES THEN NEED TO CATCH YOU SOMEHOW IN THE PREDICTION LEAGUE DUDE ;)
(J) :boxing:

diz82
03-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Morales needs ot box in this one for 12 rounds an dim not sur eif he can do it

Cang-ipos
03-08-2005, 10:47 AM
BIG OR SMALL FIST

While a small fist creates a larger force per unit area, the damage it could do should also be considered. A bigger fist might have a lesser force per unit area but if the delivery of the punch is strong enough, I think it can be more devastating.

I believe there is critical amount of force that can negate the advantage of having a smaller fist. From there the bigger fist will cause the more damage as the force of the punch increases.

But how small is small? I also believe there is also a critical size(or area of contact) of fist in every weight division that is most desirable. It will negate the advantages of both the smaller and the bigger fist.

This can be hard to understand for some but those with good physics and engineering background can easily relate and perhaps add more inputs.

boxernyc
03-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Whoever said that fist size and bone structure have nothing to do with power is wrong. It is the sole reason that a fighter's power decreases as they go up in weight. ODLH can weigh just as much as his middleweight opponents but he has a smaller bone structure than those guys and will never have a big punch at that weight.

The boxers whose power remains the same as they go up in weight either a.) hit so hard for their frame size that even when they move up they still have enough "relative power" to be devastating or b.) have a large frame and are just really scrawny (fat and muscle wise) so that they were actually fighting at a lower body weight than was natural for them. When they move up they are actually just filling in and fighting at their natural weight class. ODLH is an example of a natural welter who fought at lightweight and it was obvious when you compared his size to his opponents.

Nearly all of the big time punchers had huge hands. Liston, Dempsey, Louis, Shavers, Foreman. All of these guys had hands that were noticeably large for their bodies. Meanwhile, lighter hitting guys like Tunney and Ali for the most part had hands that were average or even small. Jake LaMotta had notoriously small womanlike hands and he scored only 30 KO's in over 100 fights in spite of the fact that he was an explosive slugger and one of the most savage guys to step into the ring. He had the mentality and body mechanics to be a big puncher, but his hands were just too small.

Great post. This is really a great thread! Many good comments. I wish there were way more threads like this!

My thoughts are that there are different types of power. There is the snapping power which is evidenced by Pacquiao and there is puching power, generally used by heavyweights, Foreman comes to mind. Now I have very limited physics or bio-mechanics knowledge so this is just conjecture. But wouldn't bigger hands be much more effective with the pushing punch since it is applying force over a larger portion of the opponent for a longer period of time than the person who has power from speed. Conversely, wouldn't a person who generates power from tremendous speed do better with smaller hands. My theory is that since the contact point is samller and the contact time is shorter, the snapping motion would be delivered more effectively. It would get the person It would be like hitting a the drivers' side windshield with a fist or a samll balpene hammer. The hammer would shatter it while the person would most likely shatter their hand. (not the best comparison, but I hope the point gets across). The idea is that a smaller contact area will deliver a more localized force. In boxing this translates to the head snapping and rattling the old noggin. If my theories are wrong, I am glad to hear why. I always want to learn more about this kind of stuff. I find it great to know.

Sinatra.Jr
03-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Packman's tremendas left punch knock Morales away to the out of the earth.That's funny.

julDilla
03-11-2005, 06:57 AM
The Day Cometh.when The Boxing World Explodeth In Cheers For The Pacman's Fists Of Fury. But Only Time Can Tell.because Morales Hast It,too. To Thee My Fellow-boxing-fans! Let's Wait & See The Thrillia! :)

bad karma for you!

Sinatra.Jr
03-11-2005, 12:03 PM
The two fighter's fist seems almost the same.
Fist size effects little to damage enemys on glove fights.
More important thing to punching power is speed/tyming and so on.

manila_assasin
03-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I didn't notice, heres a pic

Take a closer look bro. Pac's fist has the size.
:boxing: :boxing:

kadyo
03-12-2005, 12:07 AM

Good karma for you!!! :)

lapulapu
03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
just hope the fist of pacman will not be hurt this time. maybe the winnings gloves will favor pac's fists. of course, i want the other brand of glove but it's moot.

Sinatra.Jr
03-17-2005, 04:33 AM
From this angle Pacman's fists is seemed a bit fragile than ones Morrales has.so I also hope he will not be hurt his fists and they good
bouts.

ZEZ
03-17-2005, 05:50 AM
The two fighter's fist seems almost the same.
Fist size effects little to damage enemys on glove fights.
More important thing to punching power is speed/tyming and so on.
RIGHT.:) RECALLING THE EARLY BOXING THEY HAVN'T HAD GLOVES , BOTH FIGHTERS,PERILOUS FISTS....SCAAARYYYYY!!!! :)

lapulapu
03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
RIGHT.:) RECALLING THE EARLY BOXING THEY HAVN'T HAD GLOVES , BOTH FIGHTERS,PERILOUS FISTS....SCAAARYYYYY!!!! :)

You can see some bouts today without a drop of blood. Without gloves, I don't think its possible not to see a bloody face after a bout.

manila_assasin
03-17-2005, 02:27 PM

Those were the days where the fighters actuallt die. After the fight.

mickst3r
03-17-2005, 05:44 PM
the size of the fist has nothing to do with it... tis all about momentum... momentum =mass * velocity... one might immediately think well the bigger hand would have the bigger mass, however, the hand is transfering all the momentum of the body that is moving forward/turning (any punch that is thrown without body is obviously not very strong).. thus it doesnt matter how big a fist is

ZEZ
03-19-2005, 12:35 AM
the size of the fist has nothing to do with it... tis all about momentum... momentum =mass * velocity... one might immediately think well the bigger hand would have the bigger mass, however, the hand is transfering all the momentum of the body that is moving forward/turning (any punch that is thrown without body is obviously not very strong).. thus it doesnt matter how big a fist is
SIZE MATTERS A LOT & HAVE AN ADVANTAGES IN THE FIGHTING ARENA.

03-19-2005, 01:17 AM
Well for everyone who was curious,

According to HBO they have identical 10" fists.

ZEZ
03-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Well for everyone who was curious,

According to HBO they have identical 10" fists.
O NO!WHO TOLD YOU? PACMAN GOT D GREATER FISTS:)HALF INCH GREATER THAN THAT OF MORALES. I DONT BELIEVE YOU.

goku13
03-19-2005, 03:11 PM
we will see tonight!

J !
03-21-2005, 09:18 AM
YIP AND AS I PREDCITED MORALES WAS TOO BIG TOO EXPERIENCED AND HAD TOO GOOD A CHIN.

Fianlly this may put a stop to all this pac is all time top five feather superfeather yeah right :eek:

He is world class fighter with a good pwer but all time, nope, he isnt adatpable enoug to be so Im afraid, no shame in getting ud'd by morales though.

Guess it set sup a rematch with MAB.

Jeez we are blessed at feather and s-feather right now. :boxing:

manila_assasin
03-21-2005, 10:39 AM
A rematch with Mab is something that looks like happening in the near future.

Arfan1
03-21-2005, 02:30 PM
did any1 here know that pac started to cry at the end of the fight

Joaquin_Adriel
03-21-2005, 09:19 PM
What i dont like about pacman is that he showed too much of his EGO in the ring, he showboat a lot putting his arms up showing that he can take the punch of El-Terrible. When you could see that hes hurting and bleeding and suffering from a barradge of punches. In an interview as shown on TV he said that it was the head that make the right eye bleed, but it was really the punch of morales that caught him. The reporter ask what his reaction is when Joe COrtez did not take any pionts off? coz of that headbut. Manny said "This is their country, this is their territory, we cant do anything about it" does it mean they were ROB? or hes just making o lot of excuses for his lost? A filipino sports annalyst said that team Manny is avoiding El-terrible because he has expirience in that wieght hes been there fo a quit long time compaire to manny 1st time. But because of the big money involve they fight Morales. In my opinion this is not a fight for honor this is not a fight for the Philippines this is all about the MONEY.

cyber_redz
03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
A rematch with Mab is something that looks like happening in the near future.

noypi
03-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Dude, There are many reasons why He did not punched or moved that well that night, but I am not going to mention those and use it as an excuse. But let me tell you this, the cut on his eye came from the accidental head butt and not from punches. It got bigger at the later round I admit. Don't fool yourself of thinking it came from a punch. Anyways that don't matter no more. I just hope that Morales will give him a rematch and let see what happen!.. But for sure I'll have my money on Pacquio!!...

J !
03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Dude, There are many reasons why He did not punched or moved that well that night, but I am not going to mention those and use it as an excuse. But let me tell you this, the cut on his eye came from the accidental head butt and not from punches. It got bigger at the later round I admit. Don't fool yourself of thinking it came from a punch. Anyways that don't matter no more. I just hope that Morales will give him a rematch and let see what happen!.. But for sure I'll have my money on Pacquio!!...

laughable and delusional.
pac needs to drop to feather and clean up.
s feather is too heavy for him.

manila_assasin
03-22-2005, 01:43 PM

Somehow I want to think the same thing that he is a little awkward in S feather.

J !
03-23-2005, 01:53 PM
YEAH I JUST FEEL HE HAS GONE UP TOO MANY WEIGHTS IN TOO SHORT A TIME.

he is a good offensive boxer but when plan A doesnt work you need to have a plan B, he didnt have one post second round against marquez, and he sure didnt have one against Eric.

he will learn tho and props to Manny, kin A, he doesnt duck a challenge thats for sure, I just had a feeling he was gonna find Morales at S feather too big, too smart and too experienced.

My advice drop back to S feather, Marquez should be his target, if marquez doesnt want to know then take on Chi or harrison, two fights he has to be favourite in, get two of the belts even then see what Marquez says huh.

that would force his hand. :boxing:

chito
03-27-2005, 11:54 PM
What i dont like about pacman is that he showed too much of his EGO in the ring, he showboat a lot putting his arms up showing that he can take the punch of El-Terrible. When you could see that hes hurting and bleeding and suffering from a barradge of punches. In an interview as shown on TV he said that it was the head that make the right eye bleed, but it was really the punch of morales that caught him. The reporter ask what his reaction is when Joe COrtez did not take any pionts off? coz of that headbut. Manny said "This is their country, this is their territory, we cant do anything about it" does it mean they were ROB? or hes just making o lot of excuses for his lost? A filipino sports annalyst said that team Manny is avoiding El-terrible because he has expirience in that wieght hes been there fo a quit long time compaire to manny 1st time. But because of the big money involve they fight Morales. In my opinion this is not a fight for honor this is not a fight for the Philippines this is all about the MONEY.

it was clear when they replayed it in slo-mo that it came from a headbutt! and yes if i may say that money is the no. 1 motivation, what else do fighters and famous boxers fight for? money is the reason why they are risking their lives. but it was for honor and pride too. these 3 factors, these what make boxers tick. money changes everything.

ZEZ
03-28-2005, 02:16 AM
YOU GOT THE POINT.BUT PACMAN HAS THE CHANCE TO REAP EM ALL IN THAT LINE OF S FEATHER.DID HE FALL TKO? LET'S THINK ABOUT THAT.

SEE!!?? I'M AIMING MY BOOMERANG SHOULD ANYBODY RESPONSES IN CONTRAST:)

J !
03-29-2005, 08:45 AM
he doesnt have the power at superfeather morales was huge in there against him mate.
why do it, the guy started out at flyweight for crying out loud and he is too young to have bulekd up that much already.

He can be the dominant force at Feather imo.
He got a lesson agianst Eric this time and as I said he is a great offensive fighter but had no plan B.

he only knows one way to fight and if that doesnt work then he has a problem mate.

drop to feather get some belts (chi or harrison fro example two fights pac would be favourite) call out marquez thats gotta be the way :boxing: