View Full Version : Is Respect In Boxing Fading Away?

0Rooster4Life0
07-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Do you think Respect between 2 fighters is Really Fading away?
If so how bad will it get?

Also what is your opinion of History Fans and Modern Fans, do you think they are diffrent? Id like to hear your take.

ROOSTER

JAB5239
07-18-2009, 05:59 AM

Fighters today want to be quotable, and the easiest way to do that is to be insulting or slanderous. It can be funny at times, but mostly its a bunch of crap. I prefer the times when fighters shook hands and were humble, yet let it all hang out in the ring. To many times nowadays we hear all this tough talk only to be let down during the actual fight. Unfortunetly this seems to ne epidemic today.

Also what is your opinion of History Fans and Modern Fans, do you think they are diffrent? Id like to hear your take.

ROOSTER

Many younger fans seem to buy into the hype of someone with a big mouth. Fanjs of history know that it isn't what you say you are going to do, but what you actually do. This is why I prefer the Cotto's, Pac's, JuanMa's and Pwills of today. There may be a little talk, but mostly they're humble and come for war.

princemanspoper
07-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Yes manny pacquiao is really humble demanding 70-30 pay splits with the champion above his weight class that he personally requested

and marquez who whines about any decision that didn't go his way is very humble as is paul "piss and moan about being ducked despite avoiding joshua clottey" williams

JAB5239
07-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Yes manny pacquiao is really humble demanding 70-30 pay splits with the champion above his weight class that he personally requested

and marquez who whines about any decision that didn't go his way is very humble as is paul "piss and moan about being ducked despite avoiding joshua clottey" williams

Your opinion and reputation on this board are already shot to crap. Don't fear though, it shouldn't be to much longer till you're banned.

▀ringer
07-18-2009, 06:24 AM
I think it's just a way of them getting their names out there more than anything.

Boxing isn't the popular sport that it once was here in the United States.

Long gone are the days when people would fill Yankee Stadium to see a Joe Louis fight, or when Muhammad Ali's every move was frontpage news.

It's a fringe sport now.

And because of that, fighters these days are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to getting their share of media coverage.

While a crossover star like an Oscar De La Hoya, a Floyd Mayweather, or even a Manny Pacquiao will come along every once in a while, for the most part ; you make the best out of a bad situation.

Which is why I understand when a fighter steps over the line every once in a while when it comes to promoting a fight.

That said, it does get very tiresome as a fan to watch.

We still have a lot of really great examples of humble sportsmen in the sport today ; you need look no further than the current #1 and #2 pound for pound fighters in the sport to see evidence of that.

them_apples
07-18-2009, 08:53 AM
I think it's just a way of them getting their names out there more than anything.

Boxing isn't the popular sport that it once was here in the United States.

Long gone are the days when people would fill Yankee Stadium to see a Joe Louis fight, or when Muhammad Ali's every move was frontpage news.

It's a fringe sport now.

And because of that, fighters these days are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to getting their share of media coverage.

While a crossover star like an Oscar De La Hoya, a Floyd Mayweather, or even a Manny Pacquiao will come along every once in a while, for the most part ; you make the best out of a bad situation.

Which is why I understand when a fighter steps over the line every once in a while when it comes to promoting a fight.

That said, it does get very tiresome as a fan to watch.

We still have a lot of really great examples of humble sportsmen in the sport today ; you need look no further than the current #1 and #2 pound for pound fighters in the sport to see evidence of that.

every sport seems like a "fringe sport" now. I don't follow football and don't know a single football players name currently (usa football)

I know a few basketball players, and of course tiger woods. I don't know any baseball players. to me every sport get's less coverage only because we get so many different things thrown at us these days.

Pacquiao and Mayweather are actually probably some of the more popular athletes.

The Underboss
07-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Many younger fans seem to buy into the hype of someone with a big mouth. Fanjs of history know that it isn't what you say you are going to do, but what you actually do. This is why I prefer the Cotto's, Pac's, JuanMa's and Pwills of today. There may be a little talk, but mostly they're humble and come for war.

Agreed with both posts :fing02:.

bojangles1987
07-18-2009, 11:00 AM
As great as he was that's what Ali did to boxing, he made having a big mouth popular. The difference is Ali backed it up, whereas fighters today boast and make claims they don't live up to.

mickey malone
07-18-2009, 12:49 PM

ROOSTER
Well.. I think you know about my take on both questions, especially the 2nd one!... Regarding the 1st, just the odd 1or2 posters so far as I'm concerned, but with ref to Boxing in general, I think the fighters show slightly more respect, if anything.. Most of the dissin stuff seems to be getting aimed at the old school fighters these days lol, but in truth, boxings become a bit too much 'hip hop' 4 me amongst the meagres.. I'm still as keen as ever though!

MANGLER
07-18-2009, 12:59 PM

ROOSTER

It's becomin all about $ these days. Fighters got a right to wanna stay paid, but there seems to be less focus on fightin for gr8ness.

I truly hope 'fans' on this site ain't representative of boxing fans as a whole. From my personal experience, thankfully they ain't. When I talk to old school fans they got their biases just like anybody else does, but they got a deeper appreciation for the sport. They been watchin for decades, not just since World Awaits, so I luv talkin to them a lot more. As I mentioned, I don't see much of it elsewhere, but on here the stanism/hatred for fighters and the *****made obsession wit how much $ anotha man makes is ****in disgustin. Older fans know better than that female type ****.

JACK D. RIPPER
07-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Your opinion and reputation on this board are already shot to crap. Don't fear though, it shouldn't be to much longer till you're banned.

Why the hell would he be banned??/

That was a damn good post.

▀ringer
07-18-2009, 07:30 PM
every sport seems like a "fringe sport" now. I don't follow football and don't know a single football players name currently (usa football)

I know a few basketball players, and of course tiger woods. I don't know any baseball players. to me every sport get's less coverage only because we get so many different things thrown at us these days.

Pacquiao and Mayweather are actually probably some of the more popular athletes.

This is true, also.

Especially since the advent of ESPN and other such network broadcasts that only cover sports.

Still, there was a time here in America when boxing was the sport of the Country. The only sport that mattered.

But with the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, Golf, Auto Racing, Minor Leagues, College Level, High School Level, Soccer, Rugby, Horseback Riding, Gymnastics, and everything else from competitive eating to shin kicking ; no real sports fan gets their "fix" these days very easily.

#1Assassin
07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
not the fighters fault though. i mean look at floyd, hes really a nice guy. but he puts on this bad guy act, and who can blame him? if guys like bradley or dawson ran their mouths of they would be on the p4p list by now. its sad but true, so many ppl tune in to the hollywood drama **** more so than the acctual boxing. wasnt like that back in the day.

princemanspoper
07-19-2009, 06:56 AM
I truly hope 'fans' on this site ain't representative of boxing fans as a whole. From my personal experience, thankfully they ain't. When I talk to old school fans they got their biases just like anybody else does, but they got a deeper appreciation for the sport. They been watchin for decades, not just since World Awaits, so I luv talkin to them a lot more. As I mentioned, I don't see much of it elsewhere, but on here the stanism/hatred for fighters and the *****made obsession wit how much $ anotha man makes is ****in disgustin. Older fans know better than that female type ****.

You mean old farts like kid mccoy,londonringrules,poet and mickey malone?

old cunts like these are some of the most bitter and hate filled boxing fans you will find.These old men shouldn't even have access to a computer especially kid mccoy and his nambla like sympathies

do you know where the "boxing is dying" qoutes originally came from? it came from those within the boxing community,the journalists who despite making money of the blood,sweat and tears of fighters did not appreciate their efforts and dismissed them as inferior to the fighters of the past

I anything the new generation of boxing fan is much better because they tend pick and choose their avourite ighter based upon how they do in the ring rather than outside of it

mickey malone
07-19-2009, 07:42 AM
You mean old farts like kid mccoy,londonringrules,poet and mickey malone?

old cunts like these are some of the most bitter and hate filled boxing fans you will find.These old men shouldn't even have access to a computer especially kid mccoy and his nambla like sympathies

do you know where the "boxing is dying" qoutes originally came from? it came from those within the boxing community,the journalists who despite making money of the blood,sweat and tears of fighters did not appreciate their efforts and dismissed them as inferior to the fighters of the past

I anything the new generation of boxing fan is much better because they tend pick and choose their avourite ighter based upon how they do in the ring rather than outside of it
Horses for courses.. Most posters aren't that bothered what you think about them.. As you've rightly suggested, this is the wrong section for your personal attacks.. I suppose there's only so much beating down a young man like yourself can take.. I mean, according to your avatar , you only started posting a few days ago, & after a measly 51 attempts, you haven't been able to make any friends or influence anyone.. Now, doesn't this tell you something? Surely you must despair at all these knarled up old pricks teaching you a lesson or 2.. You see, familiarity breeds contempt, where as introductions should be polite, b4 anything can be built.. That's why we all know you're an alt.. We've dealt with you before! You're not even a clever alt, & it's a shame, cos I for one never get bored with you.. In fact the more stupid, the better, & you're undisputed in that department.. So.. I think it's time to dry your eyes, & have a crack at Da Gangsta Boyz on NSB.. Your outta your depth on here sonny...

princemanspoper
07-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Ah and here's one of the fab four right now.Yes I am an alt yet the one you accused me of has already been banned yet my account still remains

try again malone and I do not care to make friends on an internet forum.That kind of thing might mean something to those who crave such a thing in their own personal lives but it means very little to me

mickey malone
07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Ah and here's one of the fab four right now.Yes I am an alt yet the one you accused me of has already been banned yet my account still remains

try again malone and I do not care to make friends on an internet forum.That kind of thing might mean something to those who crave such a thing in their own personal lives but it means very little to me
Well... That's a shame, because one or two of your posts, show some obvious knowledge & a passion for the sport.. You'd be forgiven to say that we had something in common, but your attitude to certain members, dispells this..
Can remember times of celebration, getting the bumps at school on my birthday, & there'd always be 1 kid who stuck the boot in.. Does this bring back any memories?

mickey malone
07-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Well... That's a shame, because one or two of your posts, show some obvious knowledge & a passion for the sport.. You'd be forgiven to say that we had something in common, but your attitude to certain members, dispells this..
Can remember times of celebration, getting the bumps at school on my birthday, & there'd always be 1 kid who stuck the boot in.. Does this bring back any memories?

Miburo
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Don't hold your breath waiting for another Arguello. Ironically most of the trend away from this in sports in general rests on Ali's influence.

JAB5239
07-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Don't hold your breath waiting for another Arguello. Ironically most of the trend away from this in sports in general rests on Ali's influence.

Agreed. But Ali was amusing even when being insulting. He was an original. Todays athletes are just insulting and don't have an original bone in them.

Gettin Jiggy
07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Agreed. But Ali was amusing even when being insulting. He was an original. Todays athletes are just insulting and don't have an original bone in them.

do at times ali could go to far aswell. you cant just make excuses for him

JAB5239
07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
do at times ali could go to far aswell. you cant just make excuses for him

Of course there were times he went to far. But nothing he said or did seemed scripted to attract attention, it was just Ali being Ali.

Gettin Jiggy
07-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Of course there were times he went to far. But nothing he said or did seemed scripted to attract attention, it was just Ali being Ali.

tbh always felt sorry for what he was doing to liston and even frazier!