View Full Version : Which brand of headgear?

boxernyc
02-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I've just started to spar in the last two weeks or so. I have been using my trainer's headgear which looks like it was from when Ali was an amatuer. I have already gotten a black eye and want to get my own headgear so that I have better protection. I know that the headgear may not stop me from getting black eyes if I keep getting hit right on the eye, but do they afford some protection from black eyes. I'm currently working on my evasion techniques, which is to say don't get hit like a doofus by backing up straight!

So after all this rambling, what headgear do people here use and which is the best? What brand?
Thanks.

elveiel
02-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I see a lot of fighter wearing these now, its not my type headguard but its a pretty good idea.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1831_30609003

.::EnRiQuE::.
02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
i usually use everlast usa headgear with cheeks. i can use it to sparr or at the fights. sparr about 4 or 5 times then it'll be worn in and fit great. u can find it on titleboxing.com

boxernyc
02-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks. Is the Title branded one okay for amatuer fights? Do they have restrictions on what headgear can be worn? Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the one I used had cheeks at all and it certainly didn't have the bar across the bottom. Does anyone know if that makes it uncofortable to breathe?

dansweeney
02-15-2005, 05:01 PM
i prefer Trojan brand Ribbed and lubricated

boxernyc
02-15-2005, 05:26 PM
i prefer Trojan brand Ribbed and lubricated

But is it comfortable to breathe?

elveiel
02-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks. Is the Title branded one okay for amatuer fights? Do they have restrictions on what headgear can be worn? Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the one I used had cheeks at all and it certainly didn't have the bar across the bottom. Does anyone know if that makes it uncofortable to breathe?

It just covers the nose, breathing should be fine but i'm not 100% certain because i havent worn one.

It wont be ok for competion, i think its only a sparring headguard to prevent you from suffering face injury close to the fight.

I use the below headguard when fighting, its lightweight and hardly feels like your wearing one. i hate wearing headguards because my awareness goes to ****, this is the only one i can stand wearing.

Title UK website link (http://www.titlefitness.com/acatalog/Top_Ten_Boxing___Kick_Boxing_Equipment_Collection. html)

http://www.titlefitness.com/acatalog/060b.jpg

elveiel
02-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh yeah, you can get a lot of headguards from martial arts sites, some have face cages which will protect you more.

I know for a fact my coach wouldnt allow me to spar in one though, so you better check with yours first. I suppose its a good job i wouldnt want to wear one. :D

boxernyc
02-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Oh yeah, you can get a lot of headguards from martial arts sites, some have face cages which will protect you more.

I know for a fact my coach wouldnt allow me to spar in one though, so you better check with yours first. I suppose its a good job i wouldnt want to wear one. :D

Thanks very much. A lot of good advice. :)

m00ks
02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Yo boxerNYC check this

http://www.fogdog.com/graphics/product_images/p1773482dt.jpg

I won auctions for 2 sets on ebay. One set i got for 15.50$ and the other for 21.00$. Dirt cheap if you ask me. The headgear looks pretty protected. Check out the guy on the pic. He looks well hidden. Vision looks ok plus it has cheek protection.

Atwa_66
02-15-2005, 10:25 PM
I see a lot of fighter wearing these now, its not my type headguard but its a pretty good idea.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1831_30609003
This one is perfect for training
But you can't use it for competition
I got a no named brand headgear off ebay
I got 2 headgear, and 2 pairs of bag gloves
For about thirty dollars, and it's working great
I would use everlast with cheeks for competition
And the Title one for sparring and training

.::EnRiQuE::.
02-17-2005, 08:36 PM
go with the everlast with cheeks. it specified for the US amateur boxing regulations. i use it in all my fights and its done me good.

DrDac
02-28-2005, 11:22 PM
FightGear has great head gear. I have a "Full Face Headgear" or called something to that extent. Let me tell you, when you see, feel, and try on their gear, you will know its quality.

Also the foam seems to provide good protection as well.

Tha Greatest
02-28-2005, 11:36 PM
this one is really cool
i'm gettin it tommorrow

DrDac
02-28-2005, 11:42 PM
A fella at my gym has one of those, Greatest, it drys like a charm. Good Choice!

jpboxer3
02-28-2005, 11:50 PM
This one is perfect for training
But you can't use it for competition
I got a no named brand headgear off ebay
I got 2 headgear, and 2 pairs of bag gloves
For about thirty dollars, and it's working great
I would use everlast with cheeks for competition
And the Title one for sparring and training

I bought these 2Headgears and 2pairs of Boxing gloves off ebay as well.

http://www.applepics.com/51/userfiles/4223e49e538bf.jpg

They work well,its just they seem to be falling apart.The first week I had them,the bottom of one glove ripped just by me clinching a fist.I bought this for only 30bux,so I can't complain.Just make sure you have your ducktape ready.

DrDac
02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
lol man, that red headgear above sure brings back some memories of a headgear I used to have, I don't even remember what the brand was called (something generic) but I tell you what, the foam in that thing...no, infact, it was stuffed with shredded cloth I believe, made it feel hard as a rock. I used to get some real nice black eyes with it also. Ahh the good ol' days. :D

Gio
03-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I have been using my trainer's headgear which looks like it was from when Ali was an amatuer..

:rofl: Ha ha, that some funny **** right there.
But i have the headgear the " tha greatest" posted.
I like it alot. It fits great, its light, comfortable and pretty cheap too. :D

Tha Greatest
03-06-2005, 12:51 PM
:rofl: Ha ha, that some funny **** right there.
But i have the headgear the " tha greatest" posted.
I like it alot. It fits great, its light, comfortable and pretty cheap too. :D

i just bought one two days ago, GREAT headgear!
remember though it's not the type of headgear u got that makes u a champion lol.. but GREAT light headgear n comfortable...

emole123
03-06-2005, 11:18 PM
I got FightGears airmax headgear a few days ago and I am very happy with it. Fightgear makes quality products and are worth every cent.

Rockin'
03-07-2005, 08:36 AM
dude, every picture that you were shown of headgears showed absolute garbage, except for the one the greatest put up there.

The one that has that bar coming acrossed the face is hell to fight with. Besides, it doesnt allow you to be punched in the nose, and thats one thing that you will have to deal with before going out and getting actual matches. It obstructs your vision when a man gets low on you and well just sucks. You need to see a mans body when your fighting him, it will give you early detection of what he is going to do and helps you evade his attacks.

Those karate headgears, garbage. The karate schools dont allow you to throw full force blows, they are geared towards touching a man to score a point. In boxing we score points by busting his ass in the face, hoping to drop him. It would be like wearing a bicycle helmet to race a motorcycle at 100 mph. That headgear is not made for boxing.

Like I said, the picture that the greatest put up is the one to go with. I believe that they cost $45 or so but those things last forever if taken care of properly. The thing that you are looking for in a headgear are, #1 the u.s.a/a.b.f insignia on the back of the headgear (for competition headgears) #2 get one with the cheeck protectors. you could still get the black eyes though, it happens. For sparring only get the ringside headgears with the cheek protectors 14-16 ounces, they last for ever too. Good luck with your go at the sport, work hard and keep those hands held high.........Rockin'

masterdirector
03-07-2005, 08:42 AM
so could you wear a motorcycle helmet to box in? j/k

Doesn't all headgear pretty much obstruct some peripheral viewing? Seems like it would. I've seen guys with no headgear fight guys with headgear and it seemed like the no headgear guys felt more comfortable. Of course, it seems like they were better trained, hence why they didn't feel the need for headgear. So that could've been a factor.

Female boxers should wear full face gear. Not so they don't get hurt, just so I don't have to see their ugly manly faces.

Rockin'
03-07-2005, 09:11 AM
not all do, the ones with the cheeck protectors allow you to see what you need to. But we dont need to see everything. Like I dont need to see some of those manly woman boxers. :D But then again have you seen lucia Ryjker or Kara Ro? Ryjker , theres just something beautifull about her and Ro is just as cute as they come and she can fight :boxing: ........Rockin'

hitman7hearns7
03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
one word folks GREENHILL
comfortable light and nice and tight i have used on in my last 4 fights of wtich one won by the lols and it has been great doesnt move or lift up from shots or any thing really nice great stuff ok there quite expensive but there brill alot of people i know use them

high five for greenhill lol

plus they use them in the olympics so that says it all hu?

boxer2k5
03-08-2005, 01:27 AM
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/titleboxing/epth.jpg

http://store1.yimg.com/I/titleboxing_1831_28808258

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/titleboxing/byrd.jpg

i use everlast headgear