View Full Version : Ray Robinson Question

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I read in the book p4p, that he was a real bad beater of women. he once broke his girlfirends wrist with a punch, his wife edner ray would have to wear make up to hide the marks he'd given her.

I was really shocked about hearing how bad he treated women. and to be honest i lost alot for respect for him. there is no taking away the fact that he is the best and he was a warrior. but i cant help but really have a strong dislike for him on a personal level.

in his prime, he was such a hard man, but yet use to beat on fragile women.

just wanted to get your thoughts on this, i know he aint the only boxer to ever beat a women, there have been plenty etc monzon, tyson.

but havent heard alot about this.

just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this and do you feel like me and have a strong dislike for him on a personal level?

(by the way i dont mean to upset any of his fans, and this is by no means a troll thread)

discuss....

ghost deini
07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
it wouldn't suprise me

corrales,tyson and gatti are the same (apparently) im not sayin it's ok by any means but for me it takes nothing away from them as fighters but maybe as men.

if Ray Robinson did do that then thats ****ed up but he is still the G.O.A.T

i think it's something to do with being a world class fighter and being mentally abit ****ed up it seems to make them lash out at anything they feel challenges them. I mean they do beat the **** outta people for a living so maybe they just can't help exploding from time to time it must be hard.
i think ultimately they must be really insecure to do that **** though

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 11:12 AM
it wouldn't suprise me

corrales,tyson and gatti are the same (apparently) im not sayin it's ok by any means but for me it takes nothing away from them as fighters but maybe as men.

if Ray Robinson did do that then thats ****ed up but he is still the G.O.A.T

i think it's something to do with being a world class fighter and being mentally abit ****ed up it seems to make them lash out at anything they feel challenges them. I mean they do beat the **** outta people for a living so maybe they just can't help exploding from time to time it must be hard.

yeah dude. i lose so much respect for them as men! but like i said there still unbelivable fighters!

Sugarj
07-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Me too, I respect Ray as a fighter. I have no time for domestic abuse of women.

Boxers are put under incredible pressure, are trained to peak performance and nurture aggression, its no suprise that it happens from time to time, not that I'd come close to condoning it.

There is nothing wrong with idolising your heros as men too, but you wont find many legends of the ring with the cleanest of lifestyles. So many have had drug problems, have gambled and thrown away money, have been bad husbands and fathers. I admire boxers firstly for their ability in the ring, anything else is a bonus!

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Boxers are put under incredible pressure, are trained to peak performance and nurture aggression, its no suprise that it happens from time to time, not that I'd come close to condoning it.

There is nothing wrong with idolising your heros as men too, but you wont find many legends of the ring with the cleanest of lifestyles. So many have had drug problems, have gambled and thrown away money, have been bad husbands and fathers. I admire boxers firstly for their ability in the ring, anything else is a bonus!

good post!

Sugarj
07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Cheers bud.

ghost deini
07-15-2009, 12:49 PM

spot on analysis still

mickey malone
07-15-2009, 02:07 PM
There's 1 obscure report that Joe Louis once did this to.. I personally don't believe it, but this is a new one.. Be a shame if he did though, or either of them for that fact.. As already said by some of you, it's not uncommon in the fight game and the reasons were put very precisely by SugarJ..
Fighters also tend to be very passionate creatures, and many have several kids with almost as many women.. Just off the top of my head, I can name Ali, Foreman, Benn, Holyfield as serial fathers.. But none of these guys bash women.. Maybe Ray's girl wasn't putting out lol...

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 02:25 PM
There's 1 obscure report that Joe Louis once did this to.. I personally don't believe it, but this is a new one.. Be a shame if he did though, or either of them for that fact.. As already said by some of you, it's not uncommon in the fight game and the reasons were put very precisely by SugarJ..
Fighters also tend to be very passionate creatures, and many have several kids with almost as many women.. Just off the top of my head, I can name Ali, Foreman, Benn, Holyfield as serial fathers.. But none of these guys bash women.. Maybe Ray's girl wasn't putting out lol...

nah man in the book eder ray his wife, sounds like a real nice woman. And ray also had numerous affairs with other women.

just dont get it why he would beat on a fragile women. makes me real angry, and poster slimey limey also claims Joe Louis has beat on a women, dont know how true that is do. any1 confirm it?

mickey malone
07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
nah man in the book eder ray his wife, sounds like a real nice woman. And ray also had numerous affairs with other women.

just dont get it why he would beat on a fragile women. makes me real angry, and poster slimey limey also claims Joe Louis has beat on a women, dont know how true that is do. any1 confirm it?
Well, I knew about the affairs but wasn't aware of the abuse..
With regard to Slimey's post, I've been arguing the point with him for weeks..
Reason being is that it's a 1 off alegation in a 1off book, written by a couple of baseball correspondents.. The book was also written in 1978 while Louis was in a mental hospital, & it all seems a bit **** & bull.. The exert is on every one of Slimes posts & there's no way he's backing down either, but I'm still searching for evidence to totally disprove it.. We'll see what we can come up with.. You 100% sure on SRR?

Dodie Boy
07-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I dont care what they do in there personal life....Not my concern... I watch boxing. I care what they do in the ring.
If you beat on the women and they are dumb enough to hang around...oh well.
get beat on then. If someone beat on me Id leave them. Plain and simple. I take no pitty for a dumb ass!

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, I knew about the affairs but wasn't aware of the abuse..
With regard to Slimey's post, I've been arguing the point with him for weeks..
Reason being is that it's a 1 off alegation in a 1off book, written by a couple of baseball correspondents.. The book was also written in 1978 while Louis was in a mental hospital, & it all seems a bit **** & bull.. The exert is on every one of Slimes posts & there's no way he's backing down either, but I'm still searching for evidence to totally disprove it.. We'll see what we can come up with.. You 100% sure on SRR?

yeah am 100% dude. it was in the book pound for pound recently released, which his son helped write. he broke his girlfriends wrist with a punch and would regular beat edner ray his wife, she would have to were make up to hide the brusing.

made me sick, even do he is a legend in a boxing ring. i lost alot of respect for him as a man.

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I dont care what they do in there personal life....Not my concern... I watch boxing. I care what they do in the ring.
If you beat on the women and they are dumb enough to hang around...oh well.
get beat on then. If someone beat on me Id leave them. Plain and simple. I take no pitty for a dumb ass!

easier said than done. what as asswhipe comment!

Dodie Boy
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
easier said than done. what as asswhipe comment!

Mind your own buisness and you wont be busy minding others. Who the **** are you to judge anyone for things you read. Are you perfect? HELL NO YOU AINT. ASSWHIPE COMMET? No its called REALITY

mickey malone
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
yeah am 100% dude. it was in the book pound for pound recently released, which his son helped write. he broke his girlfriends wrist with a punch and would regular beat edner ray his wife, she would have to were make up to hide the brusing.

made me sick, even do he is a legend in a boxing ring. i lost alot of respect for him as a man.
That sounds ok.. In fairness to Slime, another reason I was suspicious regarding Louis, is that several knowledgable posters discredited the source.. I haven't seen anyone do it on this thread (unless someone's doing it as I write) & SRR is every bit as big a name as Louis was.. Yet another reason, is that Slime tends to pour out his hate for Louis on every post.. You haven't done that.. Seems pretty sound & constructive to me.. Thanks for the info, & we'll see if there are any protests..

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Mind your own buisness and you wont be busy minding others. Who the **** are you to judge anyone for things you read. Are you perfect? HELL NO YOU AINT. ASSWHIPE COMMET? No its called REALITY

never said i was perfect. but beaten on fragile women is wrong. and in no way shape or form can you say otherwise asswhipe.

billionaire
07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
yes its true, hbo did a documentary on ray robinson a few years ago and his son and his former wife talk about ray beating her after catching him with women.....it does make you lost respect for him as a person....

that said nothing in his personal life takes away from his accomplishments in the ring.....same with every other artist, athlete, and professional ever....

Slimey Limey
07-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Sadly people don't know or do not want to acknowledge Joe Louis and Ray Robinson being scumbags who viciously beat their women, amonst many other things that would make a nuthugger sing "Noooo don't let it be trueeeee".

ATG fighters albeit extremely, profoundly, breath takingly OVERRATED both in and out of the ring.

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
yes its true, hbo did a documentary on ray robinson a few years ago and his son and his former wife talk about ray beating her after catching him with women.....it does make you lost respect for him as a person....

that said nothing in his personal life takes away from his accomplishments in the ring.....same with every other artist, athlete, and professional ever....

dam that is a low life thing to do. there is no dotuing robinson was a pice of **** on a personal level but a great fighter in the ring. he also had bad ego problems aswell!

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Sadly people don't know or do not want to acknowledge Joe Louis and Ray Robinson being scumbags who viciously beat their women, amonst many other things that would make a nuthugger sing "Noooo don't let it be trueeeee".

ATG fighters albeit extremely, profoundly, breath takingly OVERRATED both in and out of the ring.

dont know much about louis beatne on women. explain?

Slimey Limey
07-15-2009, 09:36 PM
dont know much about louis beatne on women. explain?

When his woman refused to keep score for the wanker while playing Golf, he hit her with a left hook. WHile she was half dead he started choking her nearly to death, untill her aunt was calling the police.

It's in my sig. According to his moronic nuthuggers she deserved it and Louis is still a perfect role model.

Ziggy Stardust
07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
When his woman refused to keep score for the wanker while playing Golf, he hit her with a left hook. WHile she was half dead he started choking her nearly to death, untill her aunt was calling the police.

It's in my sig. According to his moronic nuthuggers she deserved it and Louis is still a perfect role model.

Do Boxing Scene and the world a favor and go gargle a grenade.

Poet

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM

Poet

well if its true about louis. he is a low life scumbag and poet you cant stick up for these horrible antics that louis done. no matter how much you love him.

Ziggy Stardust
07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
well if its true about louis. he is a low life scumbag and poet you cant stick up for these horrible antics that louis done. no matter how much you love him.

We have only the allegations of Slimey Limey and Billionaire (outspoken Louis haters) quoting a single source that others have already shown to be a sensationalizing muck-raking piece and NOT a credible source.

Poet

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
We have only the allegations of Slimey Limey and Billionaire (outspoken Louis haters) quoting a single source that others have already shown to be a sensationalizing muck-raking piece and NOT a credible source.

Poet

but its fact about robinson do, batering women. lost so much respect for him on a personal level, such a ****house thing to do. surely you agree about robinson being a coward hitting fragile women right?

Slimey Limey
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM

Poet

You wouldn't even need to chew so take your own advice.

but its fact about robinson do, batering women. lost so much respect for him on a personal level, such a ****house thing to do. surely you agree about robinson being a coward hitting fragile women right?

Give up on trying to humanize these idiotic nuthuggers mate. You can throw the proof right in their face and they still don't want to hear anything about it. They're just blinded by love.

Ziggy Stardust
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM

I don't think I've ever held Robinson up as a peragon of virtue. I've always confined my comments about Robinson strictly to boxing issues.

Poet

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
You wouldn't even need to chew so take your own advice.

Give up on trying to humanize these idiotic nuthuggers mate. You can throw the proof right in their face and they still don't want to hear anything about it. They're just blinded by love.

there is no way in the world that you can stick up for what robinson was doing. he broke his girlfirends wrist with a punch. how low is that? come on, when he would get caught with other women by his wife, he would beat her up. sorry to say but they are coward actions.

he was a great fighter in the ring but low life outside of it. FACT

Slimey Limey
07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
there is no way in the world that you can stick up for what robinson was doing. he broke his girlfirends wrist with a punch. how low is that? come on, when he would get caught with other women by his wife, he would beat her up. sorry to say but they are coward actions.

he was a great fighter in the ring but low life outside of it. FACT

Yet these guys get a free pass while Tyson and Mayweather get the most ****.

Gettin Jiggy
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Yet these guys get a free pass while Tyson and Mayweather get the most ****.

fill me in on what mayweather jr done?

▀ringer
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Throughout history there have been dozens upon dozens of good-to-great fighters who've had issues with spousal abuse.

Ray was no different ; he wasn't superman, or anything other than just another flawed human being.

On a peronal level, I don't agree with it whenever anybody lays their hands on a female in an abusive fashion ; fighter or not.

But I am of the belief that nobody in this world is perfect and we all have our own flaws, faults, and crosses to bear.

Therefore I do not pass judgement on any man.

And professionally, it does nothing to change the fact that Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter to ever put on a pair of gloves.

I'll leave you with a great quote from "Bright Lights, Dark Shadows".

Anybody can lead a life where everything goes smoothly. But what's much more interesting is the flaws. Mistakes will be made ; it's a question of what you do after.

Thread Stealer
07-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Ray Robinson was a beater of women, and his children also. It was discussed in the documentary "Bright Lights and Dark Shadows". One of his sons described an incident where he yelled "stop!" when Ray was beating up Edna Mae, and Ray looked at his son in shock. Another time he knocked his son to the floor and his son said to him "does that make you feel like the champion?"

One of Ray's sons, I believe Ray Jr, said he believes his mother's miscarriages were because of Ray's physical abuse of her.

Sugar Ray Leonard also admitted that he physically abused Juanita, while he was going through problems with alcohol and cocaine.

Great fighters, but deeply troubled people.

Poet

Joe Louis wrote about the incident with Lena in his autobiography.

Thread Stealer
07-16-2009, 12:49 AM
This is from a biography about Louis written by someone else. I do remember Louis discussing the incident with Lena in detail in his autobiography as well.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EcnyAHpBNDsC&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=joe+louis+lena+horne+golf&source=bl&ots=vAomuaxrHl&sig=0Fwkg9H8vgciY7wfiGKqrI0QHl8&hl=en&ei=5bBeSvisCIjSNbb4sa4C&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Spartacus Sully
07-16-2009, 01:52 AM
"When Joe Louis asked Lena Horne, with whom he was then having a relationship, to keep score for him at a Hollywood golf benefit, the singer refused -- she was entertaining troops that day. Joe hit her with a left hook. Then he started to choke her. In his 1978 autobiography, written with Edna and Art Rust Jr., Louis said that the only thing that saved Lena's life was an aunt in the next room who threatened to call the police."

Now lets compare the two:

so lena had agreed to keep score in your version.

she was flying to arizona to entertain the troops in your version

joe had smacked her in your version

and the only one that saved her was lenas cousin in your version

really now how many versions are there of the same story?

seems afterwards he went on an army troupe tour thing with a few other boxers like sugar ray robinson...bet they shared some good stories.

"In his 1978 autobiography, written with Edna and Art Rust Jr."

as mentioned in his auto biography? yeah as mickey mentioned 2 baseball corespondents and joe louis in a mental hospital wrote this.

Not saying joe didnt hit her, just saying that its more dangerous to only know 50% of the facts (slimeys sig) then to know nothing at all.

JAB5239
07-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Not saying joe didnt hit her, just saying that its more dangerous to only know 50% of the facts (slimeys sig) then to know nothing at all.

There is an old saying that goes "its better to remain silent and let people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Sally Limey has clearly never heard or understood this saying. :fingersx:

mickey malone
07-16-2009, 07:44 AM
"When Joe Louis asked Lena Horne, with whom he was then having a relationship, to keep score for him at a Hollywood golf benefit, the singer refused -- she was entertaining troops that day. Joe hit her with a left hook. Then he started to choke her. In his 1978 autobiography, written with Edna and Art Rust Jr., Louis said that the only thing that saved Lena's life was an aunt in the next room who threatened to call the police."

Now lets compare the two:

so lena had agreed to keep score in your version.

she was flying to arizona to entertain the troops in your version

joe had smacked her in your version

and the only one that saved her was lenas cousin in your version

really now how many versions are there of the same story?

seems afterwards he went on an army troupe tour thing with a few other boxers like sugar ray robinson...bet they shared some good stories.

"In his 1978 autobiography, written with Edna and Art Rust Jr."

as mentioned in his auto biography? yeah as mickey mentioned 2 baseball corespondents and joe louis in a mental hospital wrote this.

Billionaire kind'a backs him, but mainly on the use of drugs, which I'll accept he participated in during retirement, but a lot of that was to do with temporary wealth & slight brain damage suffered in the ring, probably against Marciano..
However, Billionaire doesn't seem at all confident on the assault alegation.. I believe he was just the 1st guy to post the info, & Slimey then picked up on it like a bluebottle to dogs ****.. Yes, he's a hater alright..

Slimey Limey
07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Thread Stealer, practicely one of the best factual posters is even agreeing with me. That's 3 against several nuthuggers who can't be taken seriously. Again, the proof is just that. What you cunts can't seem to do is disprove it.

Just accept the fact lads. Your idol was a scumbag who tried to murder his woman for something petty.

Your other idol beat just about everyone in his family. I didn't know about Salty GAY Robinson beating up his own children. That's the good juicy stuff.

mickey malone
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Guess whose back, Guess whose back, Guess whose back... lol

Gettin Jiggy
07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Ray Robinson was a beater of women, and his children also. It was discussed in the documentary "Bright Lights and Dark Shadows". One of his sons described an incident where he yelled "stop!" when Ray was beating up Edna Mae, and Ray looked at his son in shock. Another time he knocked his son to the floor and his son said to him "does that make you feel like the champion?"

One of Ray's sons, I believe Ray Jr, said he believes his mother's miscarriages were because of Ray's physical abuse of her.

Sugar Ray Leonard also admitted that he physically abused Juanita, while he was going through problems with alcohol and cocaine.

Joe Louis wrote about the incident with Lena in his autobiography.

wow shocked about leonard and louis. thanks for confiming everything.

mickey malone
07-16-2009, 11:13 AM
wow shocked about leonard and louis. thanks for confiming everything.
The 1 off quote on Louis doesn't come from a reliable source.. He was in a mental hospital at the time.. The supposed author(s) were baseball correspondents doing a 1 off boxing book, while Louis lie on his death bed & unable to think for himself.. This was an ideal opportunity, to sell controversy, with minimal chance of liability.. Maybe it's time to do a 'boxers who bashed their women' thread.. Must admit, I've never heard about SRL & cocaine either, but if he was on it at the time, he probably did, but only if.. So easy to take peoples words, & in an ideal world I'd like to, but it aint, so we can never be too sure... There's so many **** stirrers & spin doctors out there..

Sugarj
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
To be fair I'd never heard about Joe Louis beating his wife, the tale certainly seemed out of character.

As for Ray Leonard, he did admit to having a cocaine spell in the mid 80s after the detached retina forced a temporary retirement (before the Hagler comeback). He put it down to attending alot of celebrity parties and said 'everyone was doing it'. He kicked the habit! I never heard that he hit his wife though.

Gettin Jiggy
07-16-2009, 11:24 AM
The 1 off quote on Louis doesn't come from a reliable source.. He was in a mental hospital at the time.. The supposed author(s) were baseball correspondents doing a 1 off boxing book, while Louis lie on his death bed & unable to think for himself.. This was an ideal opportunity, to sell controversy, with minimal chance of liability.. Maybe it's time to do a 'boxers who bashed their women' thread.. Must admit, I've never heard about SRL & cocaine either, but if he was on it at the time, he probably did, but only if.. So easy to take peoples words, & in an ideal world I'd like to, but it aint, so we can never be too sure...

No poster Thread Stealer claimed louis said this in his book. i dout TS would make this up.

mickey malone
07-16-2009, 11:45 AM
No poster Thread Stealer claimed louis said this in his book. i dout TS would make this up.
He didn't... The author(s) did... They wern't boxing people & wouldn't have give a ****.. It was easy to slander people back then.. It hasn't shown up in anything written by a qualified boxing historian though.. And when you consider the thousands of scripts about Joe Louis it beggars belief that people can believe this bollocks... Art & Nora (ball people, who are probably both dead) are the only people in the world ever to suggest this.. If Threadstealer or anyone else can find me more accurate info for one of the most famous sportsmen of all time, then I'll be gladly amazed & extremely grateful.. And there's a few more autobiographys on Louis, that's 4 sure....

Andrade (although good) has that Valuev look about him lol...

Gettin Jiggy
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
He didn't... The author(s) did... They wern't boxing people & wouldn't have give a ****.. It was easy to slander people back then.. It hasn't shown up in anything written by a qualified boxing historian though.. And when you consider the thousands of scripts about Joe Louis it beggars belief that people can believe this bollocks... Art & Nora (ball people, who are probably both dead) are the only people in the world ever to suggest this.. If Threadstealer or anyone else can find me more accurate info for one of the most famous sportsmen of all time, then I'll be gladly amazed & extremely grateful.. And there's a few more autobiographys on Louis, that's 4 sure....

i've heard about louis a few times. andrade is a great fighter and a freak of nature

Slimey Limey
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
The 1 off quote on Louis doesn't come from a reliable source.. He was in a mental hospital at the time.. The supposed author(s) were baseball correspondents doing a 1 off boxing book, while Louis lie on his death bed & unable to think for himself.. This was an ideal opportunity, to sell controversy, with minimal chance of liability.. Maybe it's time to do a 'boxers who bashed their women' thread.. Must admit, I've never heard about SRL & cocaine either, but if he was on it at the time, he probably did, but only if.. So easy to take peoples words, & in an ideal world I'd like to, but it aint, so we can never be too sure... There's so many **** stirrers & spin doctors out there..

Alright then, can I play this fantasy game as well?

Louis was in a mental hospital and felt as though this was his chance to tell his life story in his own words. He likely felt depressed and didn't care about his image anymore. So he probably felt like he was just going to tell the truth about everything, because wether it was the good juicy stuff like attempting to murder his woman, he had nothing to lose. Wether the authors were in the game of Boxing or in the game of chess pool, who gives a ****? They are authors of books and this is Louis' biography.

See how easy that is, mate? Only diffirence is that we have posted sources and you haven't. So obviously you should just be ignored because you sound like a typical nuthugger who can't face the truth. You got nothing my lad.

mickey malone
07-16-2009, 12:18 PM
i've heard about louis a few times. andrade is a great fighter and a freak of nature
A few from thousands isn't exactly a great compliment to the 1 source, is it? I mean everyone knows that Mike Tyson raped Desire Washington, but it probably isn't true.. Well definitely not, in my opinion!

Only just starting to get to know about Andrade.. Looks good, & I hope I'm writing about him in years to come.. Resembles a beast 4 sure!

mickey malone
07-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Alright then, can I play this fantasy game as well?

Louis was in a mental hospital and felt as though this was his chance to tell his life story in his own words. He likely felt depressed and didn't care about his image anymore. So he probably felt like he was just going to tell the truth about everything, because wether it was the good juicy stuff like attempting to murder his woman, he had nothing to lose. Wether the authors were in the game of Boxing or in the game of chess pool, who gives a ****? They are authors of books and this is Louis' biography.

See how easy that is, mate? Only diffirence is that we have posted sources and you haven't. So obviously you should just be ignored because you sound like a typical nuthugger who can't face the truth. You got nothing my lad.
Depressed being the operative word..

GJC
07-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't know whether the Robinson and Louis storys are right or not to be honest.
Do know one thing though when a public figure has several biographies written about them they do tend to get more contraversial as time goes on. There is a tendancy to spice up an already told story.

Gettin Jiggy
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Don't know whether the Robinson and Louis storys are right or not to be honest.
Do know one thing though when a public figure has several biographies written about them they do tend to get more contraversial as time goes on. There is a tendancy to spice up an already told story.

the robinson story is true you cant deny it man. even his son admitts it.

TheGreatA
07-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I wonder if Lena Horne herself ever talked about it? Her relationship with Louis I mean.

Robinson did try to make up for his wrongs during his later years with the Sugar Ray Robinson Youth Foundation. He acknowledged that he had neglected his wife and children and tried to prevent other people from doing it.

It's very ironic that he once won a "Father of the Year" award.

Robinson was also supposedly drugged by his wife according to his son but I would have to read more about this to make sure.

"In 1965, Robinson married Millie Wiggins Bruce, who was several years his senior, and the couple settled in Los Angeles.[19] When Robinson was sick with his various ailments, his son accused Robinson's wife of keeping him under the influence of medication to manipulate him. According to Ray Robinson Jr., when Sugar Ray's mother died, Sugar Ray could not attend his mother's funeral because Millie was drugging and controlling him.[49] However, Robinson had been hospitalized the day before his mother's death due to agitation which caused his blood pressure to rise. Robinson Jr. and Edna Mae also claimed that they were kept away from Robinson by Millie during the last years of his life.[49]"

The sport of boxing has many great stories but the boxers themselves have rarely been perfect human beings.

Gettin Jiggy
07-16-2009, 02:57 PM
I wonder if Lena Horne herself ever talked about it? Her relationship with Louis I mean.

Robinson did try to make up for his wrongs during his later years with the Sugar Ray Robinson Youth Foundation. He acknowledged that he had neglected his wife and children and tried to prevent other people from doing it.

It's very ironic that he once won a "Father of the Year" award.

Robinson was also supposedly drugged by his wife according to his son but I would have to read more about this to make sure.

The sport of boxing has many great stories but the boxers themselves have rarely been perfect human beings.

No ray beat his first wife edner ray, who was a nice women. robinson would beat her, and he once broke a girfriends wrist. that is a very low thing to do.

no excuses for him

TheGreatA
07-16-2009, 03:21 PM
No ray beat his first wife edner ray, who was a nice women. robinson would beat her, and he once broke a girfriends wrist. that is a very low thing to do.

no excuses for him

I'm not offering any excuses for him. I'm a bit surprised that people didn't know about this though, it was all in the popular HBO document "Bright Lights, Dark Shadows".

Gettin Jiggy
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not offering any excuses for him. I'm a bit surprised that people didn't know about this though, it was all in the popular HBO document "Bright Lights, Dark Shadows".

to be honest shocked about how many people dont know. on a personal level robinson was a pice of dog ****, but in the ring what a fighter.

billionaire
07-16-2009, 06:18 PM

hey get it thru your ****in head....it has been confirmed from louis autobiography, look at jabs post #108 in the Who Is Boxings WORST Role Model?....if you wanna downplay it to one incident fine, but dont deny it anymore

Ok, the all elusive passage from "Joe Louis:My Life". It talks about her failing to live up to her commitment to to be one of the celebrity score keepers. This wasn't her refusing Joe in just some game, but a benefit for the U.S.O. that she had committed to in Joe's name. This refusal was to spite Joe because he had been in town a few months and only called her a few times. When Louis went to talk to her personally she wouldn't budge and said she "didn't give a damn" that she committed. Joe took of a gold bracelet Horne had given him and dropped it in her suitcase as he was leaving. Lene exploded in a rage cursing Louis like he'd never been cursed and he goes on to say, and this is verbatim "before I knew it it, I hit her with a left hook and knocked her on the bed. Then I jumped on her and started choking her. The thing, thank God, that saved her was that her aunt was in the apartment. Lena was screaming and her aunt ran in and tried to pull me off. When she said "if you don't stop, I'll call the police", that brought me straight to. I stopped".

This isn't a case of some serial women beater, but an isolated incident fueled by passion. Im not saying its right, but its hardly the way Sally Limey described it.

"Passion can mess you up; next day I couldn't show up for the tournament-My mind was ruined and my body felt to weak".

"I called Lena to apologize and she hung up on me. end of romance".

Does anybody think this sounds like the deranged person Sally has made Joe out to be, or maybe just a guy who lost it for a minute, did a bad thing, and was sincerly remorseful?

billionaire
07-16-2009, 06:20 PM
To be fair I'd never heard about Joe Louis beating his wife, the tale certainly seemed out of character.

As for Ray Leonard, he did admit to having a cocaine spell in the mid 80s after the detached retina forced a temporary retirement (before the Hagler comeback). He put it down to attending alot of celebrity parties and said 'everyone was doing it'. He kicked the habit! I never heard that he hit his wife though.

yea he beat his wife too during his 1st retirement, and did blow remember mainstream america loved him so he was hanging around business ceo ****suckers who put the kid onto that **** because they wanted to be his friend.....but he seemed to have improved his life when he came back to boxing....

Gettin Jiggy
07-16-2009, 06:24 PM
hey get it thru your ****in head....it has been confirmed from louis autobiography, look at jabs post #108 in the Who Is Boxings WORST Role Model?....if you wanna downplay it to one incident fine, but dont deny it anymore

Micky Malone I think it is all confirmed about louis now dude. just admit your wrong.

JAB5239
07-16-2009, 06:34 PM

Im just curious, have you heard of any other incidents with Louis hitting women, or read about from other sources? If not, would you agree this appears to be an isolated incident?

billionaire
07-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Im just curious, have you heard of any other incidents with Louis hitting women, or read about from other sources? If not, would you agree this appears to be an isolated incident?

no but if you saw his hbo film his family said he would leave for weeks at a time......

like i said i dont care, when i hear joe louis i think of a great fighter, but if you put him up on a pedastal as a person ill break him down....

JAB5239
07-16-2009, 07:08 PM
no but if you saw his hbo film his family said he would leave for weeks at a time......

like i said i dont care, when i hear joe louis i think of a great fighter, but if you put him up on a pedastal as a person ill break him down....

Can this not also be done with almost any figure in history? And if that is the case ans you combine it with the reasons I've previously given,than Joe Louis is a good role model, certainly better than many people of the past and today who are looked up to, no?

GJC
07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
[/B]

Can this not also be done with almost any figure in history? And if that is the case ans you combine it with the reasons I've previously given,than Joe Louis is a good role model, certainly better than many people of the past and today who are looked up to, no?
I made this point earlier, can't remember whether it was this thread or the "lets stick the boot into Joe Louis" thread.
If you want to look for feet of clay Martin Luther King JNR, Gandhi and Mother Theresa don't stand up to close scrutiny but the world is a better place for them having lived in it.
Whilst I do not condone their actions but we are talking about men who's trade was violence.

Miburo
07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Robinson and LaMotta were KOing spouses contemporaneously.

Thread Stealer
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I made this point earlier, can't remember whether it was this thread or the "lets stick the boot into Joe Louis" thread.
If you want to look for feet of clay Martin Luther King JNR, Gandhi and Mother Theresa don't stand up to close scrutiny but the world is a better place for them having lived in it.
Whilst I do not condone their actions but we are talking about men who's trade was violence.

Hell, even MLK wasn't known as the most faithful husband. But he did a lot of great things regardless.

I recognize and accept that a lot of boxers have their demons outside the ring. Alexis Arguello was one of the most gracious sportsmen boxing has seen. He had his personal issues as well.

It's somewhat understandable that some fighters cannot turn their violent tendencies on and off and the right times. I'm not saying it isn't wrong, of course it still is, but if you're being trained and paid and loved for your ability to inflict violence and pain on others for a living, you can see how some fighters may have a tough time always controlling it. Don't get me wrong though, I think someone like Tony Ayala is a waste of human life.

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 05:26 AM
There's no smoke without fire, & I'm not denying it.. But attempted murder?????? I think an isolated back hander would'a been nearer the truth..
Unfortunately.... Your mate Slimey (or your alt) insists it was the horrendous crime of attempted murder... I've told him a Billion times NOT to exaggerate..

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 05:34 AM
He did choke her but usually when i choke women im just trying to shake the crap out of them and the neck is the easiest thing to grab. know what i mean?

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Micky Malone I think it is all confirmed about louis now dude. just admit your wrong.
Sorry mate, Been around too long to be that gullible..
There's an element of truth that has obviously been blown out of all proportion by hype mongers & controversial authors..

JAB5239
07-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Sorry mate, Been around too long to be that gullible..
There's an element of truth that has obviously been blown out of all proportion by hype mongers & controversial authors..

Im not saying it didn't happen, it most likely did. But please, stop making it more than it was. Because as far as I know, as far as anybody else knows, this was something that happened ONE time. No police reports. No history of it happening before or after. ONE time. It pales in comparison to the great things he did for his country and his race. Anybody trying to say different is a fool.

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson on the other hand is a horrible horrible person. though he did inspire countless amounts of people including Ali who in turn inspired countless amounts of people like sugar ray Leonard and Tyson who in turn inspired countless other people.

Though if i had been there and seen him raise a hand to his family i would have probably beat the crap out of him.

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Im not saying it didn't happen, it most likely did. But please, stop making it more than it was. Because as far as I know, as far as anybody else knows, this was something that happened ONE time. No police reports. No history of it happening before or after. ONE time. It pales in comparison to the great things he did for his country and his race. Anybody trying to say different is a fool.
Totally agreed!

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 05:57 AM

And there it is.

:fing02:

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson on the other hand is a horrible horrible person. though he did inspire countless amounts of people including Ali who in turn inspired countless amounts of people like sugar ray Leonard and Tyson who in turn inspired countless other people.

Though if i had been there and seen him raise a hand to his family i would have probably beat the crap out of him.
Me too!.... But with a big stick I think.... lol

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 05:59 AM

Robinson's not the only man to ever raise his hand in anger to a member of his family.

Was he a saint? Not at all.

Was he abusive? Absolutely.

But every man wrestles with his own demons.

If you've lived enough years ; you know what I'm talking about.

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Everyone has their demons but it dosent feel as though he wrestled with them all that much.

a truly great person would have beaten such demons after the first encounter.

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Everyone has their demons but it dosent feel as though he wrestled with them all that much.

a truly great person would have beaten such demons after the first encounter.

I don't agree with that last part at all.

There have been some truly amazing people throughout history that have done things much greater than Ray Robinson did, and they were never able to defeat their demons.

I'm not making any excuses for Ray, and I don't condone his actions in the least.

But like I said before ; none of us are perfect, and each of us have our own faults, flaws, and crosses to bear.

To speak out against Ray's abusive actions is absolutely justified.

But I don't think any of us should passing judgment on him without taking a long, hard look in the mirror first.

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 06:52 AM
"I don't agree with that last part at all.

There have been some truly amazing people throughout history that have done things much greater than Ray Robinson did, and they were never able to defeat their demons."

dont think so. Maybe and if you can think of some people that would be cool all i can think of are people like poe and frued but they were just crazy and didnt really do that much to influence my life.

more so in my statement i said such demons refering to beating ones that you love. a truly great person should be able to realize their mistake and grow in that case.

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
dont think so. Maybe and if you can think of some people that would be cool all i can think of are people like poe and frued but they were just crazy and didnt really do that much to influence my life.

more so in my statement i said such demons refering to beating ones that you love. a truly great person should be able to realize their mistake and grow in that case.

So because Poe and Freud didn't influence you in particular, they don't count?

I didn't even mention them ; you did.

That aside, I'm not going to draw up a list of the hundreds of inspirational figures throughout history who've struggled with demons of their own, be it ; alcoholism, drug addiction, spousal abuse, other physical violence, sexual perversions, mental illness, or what have you.

First off it would be too time consuming.

Secondly, you seem to be implying that you want a specific example of an influential figure who failed to conquer his or her demons, that specifically influenced you.

I'm not a mind reader.

Anyway, this is getting really off topic now.

The point is this ; All I'm saying is that I'm willing to bet that at least half of the people in here trashing Robinson for his abusive behavior have something in their past that they should be equally ashamed of.

If not, they're too young to. And they can come talk to me again in 10 years.

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 07:48 AM
all right so i wasnt asking for a huge list of inspirational figures i was asking for some one that did something other then write a bunch of poetry or figure out that everthing thats wrong with you stems from your parents. drawing a picture and listening to people dosent make you great.

didnt have any one specific one in mind just couldnt think of any that didnt defeat their demons that i consider all that great and was hoping you could think of a few though i guess if i had to think of one i would have to say newton. crazy guy complete ******* personally i think he drank way to much mercury but boy did he change the way things are in this world

probably tons of historic leaders beat their many wives and did all kinds of drugs so you dont have to come up with a giant list.

Jim morrison from the doors made all kinds of great music and did all kinds of drugs and continued to till he died was he a great person?

Its not because Ray had demons that make him an ungreat person its that the demons remained and it didnt seem like he cared all that much.

i cant speak for the rest of the people but i have had my fair share of demons and regrets and ive defeated every demon and learned from every regret so far.

For he who learns from his mistakes and regrets lives a life with out mistakes and regrets.

GJC
07-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Def get the jab working lol

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
psh ali had a faster jab

Kid McCoy
07-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Was anyone actually making Robinson out to be a saint? He was a boxer, with the same human frailties as anyone else. Monzon, LaMotta, Ibeabuchi, Tyson, Lyle, Corrales, Johnson and scores of others all have histories of criminality, thuggery or general odiousness. Didn't stop them being fine boxers though.

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I was making him out to be not great.

Slimey Limey
07-17-2009, 10:19 AM
There's no smoke without fire, & I'm not denying it.. But attempted murder?????? I think an isolated back hander would'a been nearer the truth..
Unfortunately.... Your mate Slimey (or your alt) insists it was the horrendous crime of attempted murder... I've told him a Billion times NOT to exaggerate..

I don't know how dumb and gullible you have to be not to understand that the 'greatest puncher ever' knocked a woman down with a left hook, then started choking her nearly to death ONLY stopping because someone got him out of his rage.
These are pure facts, pure facts mate. It is impossible "to make it out to be something else".

What if he did this to your sister? Would you not say Louis tried to kill your sister?

He did choke her but usually when i choke women im just trying to shake the crap out of them and the neck is the easiest thing to grab. know what i mean?

A perfect example of a Louis fan, which describes exactly why they condone his wife beating actions.

Again dumbarse, it's impossible to "make it more than it was" when it's a fact it did happen that way.
One time eh lad? You wish. I'm trying to find more dirt on bumbeater and he sure was a lad.

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 10:30 AM
"A perfect example of a Louis fan, which describes exactly why they condone his wife beating actions."

Come on seriously now....i thought my comments were pretty funny

saw it on some chris rock standup or something id never hit a b***h but id shake the crap out of her just grab her shoulders and (makes shaking motion)

Slimey Limey
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
"A perfect example of a Louis fan, which describes exactly why they condone his wife beating actions."

Come on seriously now....i thought my comments were pretty funny

saw it on some chris rock standup or something id never hit a b***h but id shake the crap out of her just grab her shoulders and (makes shaking motion)

And they call me an alt.
You've been posting like a useless trolling fool in the past few pages.

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Ah fool thats great. What are your opinions on Ray again? what are your opinions on what makes some one great? whats your value of a family member compared to some woman that your sleeping with?same? why do you feel both situations are so unforgivable?

Spartacus Sully
07-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Personally i think that ray should not be conisdered as great of a person i feel as though he got away with sleeping with other women and beating his wife till he got old or bored with it.

I think that joe louis felt remorse and lost something that he cared deeply about due to this i am able to forgive him and look past his discretion's.

JAB5239
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't know how dumb and gullible you have to be not to understand that the 'greatest puncher ever' knocked a woman down with a left hook, then started choking her nearly to death ONLY stopping because someone got him out of his rage.
These are pure facts, pure facts mate. It is impossible "to make it out to be something else".

What if he did this to your sister? Would you not say Louis tried to kill your sister?

A perfect example of a Louis fan, which describes exactly why they condone his wife beating actions.

Again dumbarse, it's impossible to "make it more than it was" when it's a fact it did happen that way.
One time eh lad? You wish. I'm trying to find more dirt on bumbeater and he sure was a lad.

You obviously don't understand the difference between simple assault and felony attempted murder. It no wonder though, you haven't shown yourself to be that bright to begin with.

And how are you "trying to dig up more dirt" on Louis, let someone else find something than you sig it? BRILLIANT!!!!

Boogie Nights
07-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Joe frazier had also assaulted his girlfriend and left a big bruise on her cheek, but she decided not to press charges.

billionaire
07-17-2009, 03:28 PM

were not the same person, i dont say its attempted murder it is what it is.....but ill give you credit cuz at least you are open to debate not like that whore hoet putting me on ignore lol....

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 03:52 PM
were not the same person, i dont say its attempted murder it is what it is.....but ill give you credit cuz at least you are open to debate not like that whore hoet putting me on ignore lol....
Cheers... Sorry for the sarcasm... It was indirectly aimed at someone else...

Ziggy Stardust
07-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billionaire

:haha: I knew the babies would start whinging :bottle: Too bad, so sad, but the trolls aren't going to be allowed to ruin that thread they way they do with every other thread they post in.

Poet

Slimey Limey
07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
You obviously don't understand the difference between simple assault and felony attempted murder. It no wonder though, you haven't shown yourself to be that bright to begin with.

And how are you "trying to dig up more dirt" on Louis, let someone else find something than you sig it? BRILLIANT!!!!

Simple assualt is almost choking somebody to death after nearly knocking her head off?

The fact that you are still trying to condone this act shows what a disgusting wanker you truly are. I hope no woman ever goes near you, because by God you might be the next Ted Bundy if you keep brushing off serious female abuse.

Your last sentence is funny though, I'll give you that lad.

Slimey Limey
07-17-2009, 05:09 PM
:haha: I knew the babies would start whinging :bottle: Too bad, so sad, but the trolls aren't going to be allowed to ruin that thread they way they do with every other thread they post in.

Poet

Hahaha, now you have to sink this low just to get back to the old good days, where you lads could get away with hugging bumbeater's nuts till they became blue all day long, thread after thread.

Blocking everyone else from responding just shows how much you do care what people say.

princemanspoper
07-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Joe frazier had also assaulted his girlfriend and left a big bruise on her cheek, but she decided not to press charges.

Oh no that was Cassus Clay's fault.Joe is a great guy

JAB5239
07-18-2009, 04:50 AM
Simple assualt is almost choking somebody to death after nearly knocking her head off?

We're talking about one of the greatest punchers ever. If he had tried to "knock her head off" she would have been unconscious. And were do you get the "almost choking her to death" crap? It was mere seconds and she was able to scream. If you are able to scream you're able to breath. That is a fact. Im not condoning it, Im setting your twisted facts straight. You have baltently lied and exagerated to put Louis down in any way possible. If it wasn't so pathetic it could almost be funny, as you are so transparent with your hate.

Slimey Limey
07-18-2009, 08:03 AM
We're talking about one of the greatest punchers ever. If he had tried to "knock her head off" she would have been unconscious. And were do you get the "almost choking her to death" crap? It was mere seconds and she was able to scream. If you are able to scream you're able to breath. That is a fact. Im not condoning it, Im setting your twisted facts straight. You have baltently lied and exagerated to put Louis down in any way possible. If it wasn't so pathetic it could almost be funny, as you are so transparent with your hate.

Depends on where he hit her. And if that is right, then Joe Louis' power is overrated, isn't it mate?

I get the almost choking to death crap from the fact that the only reason Louis stopped choking her was because her aunt was pleading for the wanker to stop. That indicates he wasn't gonna stop so yes he almost killed her

You're not setting my facts straight. Facts are facts. You can't twist them any way you'd like. You're just gonna have to deal with them.

mickey malone
07-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Depends on where he hit her. And if that is right, then Joe Louis' power is overrated, isn't it mate?

I get the almost choking to death crap from the fact that the only reason Louis stopped choking her was because her aunt was pleading for the wanker to stop. That indicates he wasn't gonna stop so yes he almost killed her

You're not setting my facts straight. Facts are facts. You can't twist them any way you'd like. You're just gonna have to deal with them.
"And if that's right"..... Confident then are you??

Spartacus Sully
07-18-2009, 09:56 AM
yoou cant just choke some one to death. you have to choke them till they pass out and then continue chokeing them. i'm sure as soon as lena stopped struggling joe would have been like holy **** snapped out of it and let go. at this point in time lena would have started breathing and joe would have attempted murder. since at no point did she become unconscious there was no point when she was close to death, and at no point did he attempt murder.

Slimey Limey
07-18-2009, 10:06 AM
"And if that's right"..... Confident then are you??

Oh my yes mate, I'm not very confident about meself so maybe I should make a thread with a poll asking people about it, like one certain Sticky lad.

yoou cant just choke some one to death. you have to choke them till they pass out and then continue chokeing them. i'm sure as soon as lena stopped struggling joe would have been like holy **** snapped out of it and let go. at this point in time lena would have started breathing and joe would have attempted murder. since at no point did she become unconscious there was no point when she was close to death, and at no point did he attempt murder.

He was not gonna stop because it took a person going ape**** to finally get him out of his rage. At that moment when he was showing his true colors, he was in an evil blind rage and would have killed her. This is the man you lads are looking up to. This is the perfect great guy you all claim him to be.

I got slack for calling this wanker a coward. I guess it's BRAVE to beat up a fragile woman, innit lads?

mickey malone
07-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Oh my yes mate, I'm not very confident about meself so maybe I should make a thread with a poll asking people about it, like one certain Sticky lad.

He was not gonna stop because it took a person going ape**** to finally get him out of his rage. At that moment when he was showing his true colors, he was in an evil blind rage and would have killed her. This is the man you lads are looking up to. This is the perfect great guy you all claim him to be.

I got slack for calling this wanker a coward. I guess it's BRAVE to beat up a fragile woman, innit lads?
Well if you're anything to go by, She was probably a 20 odd stone phsyco like Cathy Bates in the film, 'Misery' with James Cann.. Who can blame him????