View Full Version : Is boxing ghetto?

pyrovampx
07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Man you know how boxing is seen as a sport where people from the projects become awesome fighters. Man I asked my gym how much it is and it's 400$ a year. I live in pretty much the ghetto and so is the gym I'm located in. I trained there for a year I was able to pay that when I had a job now I got no job and no money. How do they expect young people to join. Most people that train there are little kids or middle aged folks who are ballin btw. It's so hard to find a job and if I sold my xbox 360 I'd only have half to pay for it. Is there any places that are cheaper where I can compete in amature. I asked my gym if I get a discount since I compete amature for them and they said no.
Can you compete in ymca boxing or anything like that.

It sucks if I have a job I have no time for boxing.
If I don't have a job I have no money for boxing.
Plus my parents aren't gonna dish out 400$ for me to go box I already asked em.

Chr0nic
07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Man you know how boxing is seen as a sport where people from the projects become awesome fighters. Man I asked my gym how much it is and it's 400$ a year. I live in pretty much the ghetto and so is the gym I'm located in. I trained there for a year I was able to pay that when I had a job now I got no job and no money. How do they expect young people to join. Most people that train there are little kids or middle aged folks who are ballin btw. It's so hard to find a job and if I sold my xbox 360 I'd only have half to pay for it. Is there any places that are cheaper where I can compete in amature. I asked my gym if I get a discount since I compete amature for them and they said no.

is'nt that a song?

jadavill587
07-14-2009, 11:58 AM
whenever i dont have the money to pay the gyms monthly dues I just go to the Boys n Girls Club boxing gym. Depending on your age they will let you in for free or they might charge you a little. There have been a lot of prospects, contenders, and champions that trained with our local boys n girls club

screwhead1
07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
i think you'll have to pay damn near wherever you go...unless it's just an open gym...but those seem to be rare...when i was in training...our gym was $15 a month...but damn near no one paid...the coach didn't really care anyway...as long as you were there to learn something...he did it for free...

STILL_DETOX
07-14-2009, 01:48 PM
u should probably invest ur money on some good english classes instead

them_apples
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
yea its bs now..its 80 a month at my gym

gyms should be dirt cheap..I have hardly any money either

Alexandros
07-14-2009, 06:30 PM
mines $40 a month... :D when im broke i just train at home then come back when i got money again.

Dynamite Glove
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
80 a month fuuuuck that

I3C727
07-14-2009, 08:04 PM
yea 80 a month is rediculous.

Don Flamenco
07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
180 a month here. Did the $50 a month at someone's basement, but the coach didn't have mitts to work with. Probably start doing that again next month cause times are tough.

keepthemhandsup
07-14-2009, 11:41 PM

300 a year:owned2:

RightCross94
07-15-2009, 12:58 AM
$15 a week lol, and thats australian dollars too

fraidycat
07-18-2009, 03:16 AM
My gym is a nonprofit. They run "boxing fitness" classes during the day at $100/month and then have a sliding scale for boxing training. I actually donate to my gym in addition to my training fee -- the donations are tax-deductible. :boxing:

Check into your local Boys & Girls Club, and talk to a cop, too -- some cities have police-run boxing gyms for disadvantaged kids. If you live near a military base, some bases have boxing programs.

mikey-g
07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
yeah i pay 105 a month... for boxing muay tai and kickboxing

LVBoxer1
07-18-2009, 10:27 PM
My area has a free gym, that one dude actually turned pro in. BUT, its a 140+ person wait list to get in, and its run through the city council for spanish poverty or something like that, and im not spanish, and I dont live in the ghetto anymore, so I feel obligated to let thosr kids soak it up.

DiLLiNGER
07-18-2009, 11:37 PM

you do what you can outside of the gym,skipping,shadow boxing push ups and all that stuff..when u get the money u just go back..dont let negativity befall you..i use to train at a gym where i had to pay 10 $ a session but the thing was that trainer didnt let anyone bring his own water..he said we should support the gym..so it was practicly 12.50 $ a session and 100$ yearly membership which is way too much..the gym im at now its only 50$ a month and 30 $ for unemployed people..and u can train 6 days a week twice a day and the coaches are much better too..and i can bring my own water from home :dance:

fuddoh
07-19-2009, 09:06 AM
you do what you can outside of the gym,skipping,shadow boxing push ups and all that stuff..when u get the money u just go back..dont let negativity befall you..i use to train at a gym where i had to pay 10 $ a session but the thing was that trainer didnt let anyone bring his own water..he said we should support the gym..so it was practicly 12.50 $ a session and 100$ yearly membership which is way too much..the gym im at now its only 50$ a month and 30 $ for unemployed people..and u can train 6 days a week twice a day and the coaches are much better too..and i can bring my own water from home :dance:

Damn they actually charged you for the water?
My gym charges about $100/ 6 months.

kryo
07-19-2009, 03:33 PM
First gym was 50 a month, if you couldn't pay, they would have you clean equipment and stuff.. very nice people. Second gym was completely free, only thing was you had to compete - they didn't want cardio bunnies. My current gym is also free. Free, free, free, free.

Free.

:]

Find a PAL gym brah.

Rockin'
07-19-2009, 03:43 PM
if your in "the ghetto" then they must have a rec center somewhere in there. Detroit had a bunch of them through out the city, probably 7 or 8 of them that you could train at for like $45-$50 a year, and the trainers in there knew their ****. Now with michigans economy many/most have closed up. I know of 2 still running with boxing. I dont know what city/state your in but look at all the rec centers in the area, they are there for you from tax dollars that your parents pay, look into them..............Rockin':boxing:

Malik
12-17-2009, 10:59 AM
80 a month is bad? 95 a month it cost here in raleigh.

Richie-G
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
5 a week which is pretty good considering our coach takes us all over the country to compete for free....

rochemback
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Georges Carpentier: "I am a boxer, because I am more intelligent than others"
Hanging on a badge in my gym, which charges a bit less than 500 ***8364; per year, by the way, but you can use the gym (including weights and gym machines) every day and attend boxing and kickboxing classes.

Kiid Dynamite
12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
u shouldnt pay a lot to train, its a joke

i pay only 2 aka $2

Kiid Dynamite
12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
5 a week which is pretty good considering our coach takes us all over the country to compete for free....

what gym do u box for??

Third Degree MM
12-18-2009, 01:03 AM
i have my own apartment so i'm always broke, so what i do is go to my 9th grade High School gym(that i had been expelled from 5 years earlier) to use the equipment and lift some weights, i just wear the school P.E. close ha! they have no clue i don't belong there, i already graduated from another High School a year an a half ago and i still go 4 times a weak for 2 hours hahaha! the ****in boys and girls club gym here is garbage. i went once and was crushed to see all they had was trash.

supRa
12-18-2009, 01:10 AM
wow thats f0ckin crazy man... i wouldnt pay that much money... who the fock do they think they are? ****.... rather pay a fockin phone bill than that... :smh:
how much is freddie roach wild card gym a month? lol...

Spartacus Sully
12-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Georges Carpentier: "I am a boxer, because I am more intelligent than others"
Hanging on a badge in my gym, which charges a bit less than 500 ***8364; per year, by the way, but you can use the gym (including weights and gym machines) every day and attend boxing and kickboxing classes.

Read it wrong.

Danny Gunz
12-18-2009, 03:02 PM
talk to the owner, for my gym i talked to the owner told him i didnt have the money at the time and he just told me not to worry about it and pay whenever i can.

Richie-G
12-19-2009, 11:04 AM
what gym do u box for??

oakmead abc in bournemouth, you might not have heard of us we aint been going that long. what about you?

ScottDBA
12-19-2009, 11:42 AM
how much is freddie roach wild card gym a month? lol...
$50 per month or $5 per day iirc.

That's just to workout there, doesn't mean that's how much it costs to get Freddie to train you.

Jordee-G
12-19-2009, 08:29 PM
My boxin club is 40 a year lol :lame:

Hook00513z
01-01-2010, 01:16 AM
i know one gym in new york thats free

its the best gym in the world..

and the youngest heavyweight champ was raised in it.

Danny_123
01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Get a part time job...
Then you have money to train, and you have time to train.
Or see if you can help out at the gym for a discount, say cleaning or training kids or something.

failing that, i suggest you go out and do some lookin for a gym, if your a fighter you'll do just that.