View Full Version : Roy Jone's STYLE vs Ali's STYLE

Infern0
07-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Ok so if these guys were the same size, same chin, same everything except for styles and they fought which would come out on top?

Basically Ali vs a 6"3 Iron Jawed Roy Jones?

bojangles1987
07-14-2009, 08:03 AM
If you're telling me Roy's speed and reflexes translate at that size, plus he has an iron chin, that's the greatest fighter ever.

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Ok so if these guys were the same size, same chin, same everything except for styles and they fought which would come out on top?

Basically Ali vs a 6"3 Iron Jawed Roy Jones?

How can you ask this question and say..............same chin ?

Ali had a better chin so why make Roy's as good as Ali's to give him a better chance at a favorable outcome ?

Chr0nic
07-14-2009, 08:40 AM
How can you ask this question and say..............same chin ?

Ali had a better chin so why make Roy's as good as Ali's to give him a better chance at a favorable outcome ?
he's pretty much asking which style beats the other

but the thing is ali was one dimensional and roy jones was a big puncher that carried his punching power well, if he was 6'3 , even tho ali has a great jaw, there would be a high percentage in ali being stopped in the championship rounds

ali's style = jab to the head, keep distance
roy's style = in and out, power shots

mickey malone
07-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Oh no!

Silly posts starting to creep in on the HISTORY of the sport..
To avoid embarrassment, please put this crap on Fantasy Fights..

C'mmon! Just look at the poll... Sorry.... I don't want to be invoved...

Chr0nic
07-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Oh no!

that poll is proof that some people are just retarded for fighters of the past

alfredkubin
07-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I think one should rather hypothesize about that matchup with both fighters at their normal size and capabilities. To me, the heavyweight version of Roy Jones was very similiar to one of Alis real life opponents. I am talking about Floyd Patterson. Similiar to Patterson, Roy was a natural light heavy, had tremendous reflexes, speed and power, a terrific left hook and a somewhat unusual boxing style. Both fighters also had a glass jaw. Still, Patterson was a mainstay in the heavyweight division for almost twenty years and held the championship twice. In the first fight with Muhammad Ali, he allegedly had back problems and was completely outclassed. In the second fight (Floyds last fight at age 37), he gave Ali a very good tussle and was leading on the cards, but was stopped on a severe cut. Of note, Patterson was floored a million times by other fighters, but Ali never managed to drop him. I still think that Ali would beat Jones, but I could envision a somewhat competitive fight fought on similiar terms as the Ali-Patterson rematch. A Liston-type puncher would easily beat Jones, as easily as he beat Patterson twice. Styles make fights!

mickey malone
07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
that poll is proof that some people are just retarded for fighters of the past
I love you're avatar.. But keep the posts sensible..
A 6'3" 228lb iron jawed Jones would OBVIOUSLY win... But he hasn't showed up over the last 1000,000 years.. Please! stop it! You're killing me loooool...

Chr0nic
07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
hey i did'nt make the thread

mickey malone
07-14-2009, 09:41 AM
hey i did'nt make the thread
Sorry mate! Looked like you was backing it.. Seems like the opposite now... Cool! Love the avatar lol....

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 10:06 AM
he's pretty much asking which style beats the other

but the thing is ali was one dimensional and roy jones was a big puncher that carried his punching power well, if he was 6'3 , even tho ali has a great jaw, there would be a high percentage in ali being stopped in the championship rounds

ali's style = jab to the head, keep distance
roy's style = in and out, power shots

Roy was not that big of a puncher at LHW imo.

Guys like Del Valle, Gonzalez, Telesco did not have THAT much trouble with his power.

Ali was no more one dimensional than Roy, neither fighter was good inside.

Roy punched of angles well, but that also got him knocked out, past prime or not.

Chr0nic
07-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Roy was not that big of a puncher at LHW imo, neither fighter was good inside.

Roy punched of angles well, but that also got him knocked out, past prime or not.

Guys like Del Valle, Gonzalez, Telesco did not have THAT much trouble with his power.

Ali was no more one dimensional than Roy.
riiiight........

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 10:19 AM
riiiight........

Roy could not fight inside either.

Roy had trouble with left handers

Roy was not comfortable on the front foot taking the lead.

I dont think Roy was one dimensional but neither was Ali.

Chr0nic
07-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Roy could not fight inside either.

Roy had trouble with left handers

Roy was not comfortable in the front foot taking the lead.

I dont think Roy was one dimensional but neither was Ali.
ali = jab to the head, keep distance

how many times have you seen ali punch to the body?
that's one dimensional
roy jones switched it up, he went from orthodox to southpaw, fought with either hand(fought with left hand against hopkins, right against telesco) and has gone to the body, gone to the head occasionally, one after the other in combo's whilst circling the opponent

i've given you some examples of why 'I' think jones is not one dimensional
what you got for ali? i honestly dont ever remember a body punch by him except for maybe a feint to the body but that hardly counts as a bodyshot, i never seen him in the inside neither, jones has the upperhand in in-fighting as i've seen him do it, even if he aint great at it

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 10:41 AM
ali = jab to the head, keep distance

how many times have you seen ali punch to the body?
that's one dimensional
roy jones switched it up, he went from orthodox to southpaw, fought with either hand(fought with left hand against hopkins, right against telesco) and has gone to the body, gone to the head occasionally, one after the other in combo's whilst circling the opponent

i've given you some examples of why 'I' think jones is not one dimensional
what you got for ali? i honestly dont ever remember a body punch by him except for maybe a feint to the body but that hardly counts as a bodyshot, i never seen him in the inside neither, jones has the upperhand in in-fighting as i've seen him do it, even if he aint great at it

Its true Ali was a long range fighter that rarely threw body punches but that does not= one dimensional.

If Jones was not "one dimensional" his career would not have ended as early as it did, you can bring up him coming back down from HW but the bottom line is he did not have the ability to adapt when he lost his reflexes. I think he was 35 at the time, although i could be wrong.

Id hazard a guess that Ali was still beating good fighters at that stage of his career, if he was so one dimmenional he would not of been able to do that. Also if he was as one dimensional as you claim you would of thought more fighters would of been able to capitalize on what he could not do in the ring NO?

When you have the footwork, jab and countering skills of Ali its not a necessity to fight inside, same as it was not for Jones when he was in his prime.

Roy is not better inside than Ali was imo, could Roy have got through what Ali went through with Frazier ? i dont think so.

Ziggy Stardust
07-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Oh no!

Better yet, keep silly posts in NSB were the other prepubescent fan-bois post theirs.

Poet

THE REED™
07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Its true Ali was a long range fighter that rarely threw body punches but that does not= one dimensional.

If Jones was not "one dimensional" his career would not have ended as early as it did, you can bring up him coming back down from HW but the bottom line is he did not have the ability to adapt when he lost his reflexes. I think he was 35 at the time, although i could be wrong.

Id hazard a guess that Ali was still beating good fighters at that stage of his career, if he was so one dimmenional he would not of been able to do that. Also if he was as one dimensional as you claim you would of thought more fighters would of been able to capitalize on what he could not do in the ring NO?

When you have the footwork, jab and countering skills of Ali its not a necessity to fight inside, same as it was not for Jones when he was in his prime.

Roy is not better inside than Ali was imo, could Roy have got through what Ali went through with Frazier ? i dont think so.

Roy isnt going to stand in a corner getting pummeled on for the sake of it... in his prime...

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Roy isnt going to stand in a corner getting pummeled on for the sake of it... in his prime...

You think Roy could keep the fight in the centre of the ring with Joe Frazier over the coarse of a 15 rounder ?

THE REED™
07-14-2009, 10:49 AM
You think Roy could keep the fight in the centre of the ring with Joe Frazier over the coarse of a 15 rounder ?

I think he would do his damnest to keep it in the center of the ring.... Roys not playing rope a dope against a Joe Frazier... its more ridiculous to think hes doing the rope a dope to frazier than to circle him...

PRIME ROY... PRIME... doesnt get tired, 6x faster than Frazier...

He either outboxes the **** out of him or gets knocked the **** out

mickey malone
07-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Better yet, keep silly posts in NSB were the other prepubescent fan-bois post theirs.

Poet
I only go on there to take the piss lol....

Ziggy Stardust
07-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I only go on there to take the piss lol....

Yeah no kidding.....The level of stupidity and ignorance in NSB can be entertaining at times, nauseating at others. Most of the children in there can count on there fingers the number of pre-1990 fights they've seen.....and practically all of them nuthug on the current era. Sad thing is, most of them don't realize that they're prime evidence for the argument that mankind's intelligence is regressing not moving forward.

Poet

TheGreatA
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I think he would do his damnest to keep it in the center of the ring.... Roys not playing rope a dope against a Joe Frazier... its more ridiculous to think hes doing the rope a dope to frazier than to circle him...

Roy did go against the ropes quite often though, even in his prime.

I don't think anyone could keep the fight in the center of the ring against Frazier without knocking him out.

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 11:03 AM

I don't think anyone could keep the fight in the center of the ring against Frazier without knocking him out.

Agree on both counts.

THE REED™
07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

he went to the ropes for a second.... hed use his arms to block punches for 10 seconds maybe, then get out of there...

hes talking about going thru what ali went thru which is, completely the opposite... circle frazier for 10 seconds.. and spend the next 2 1/2 on the ropes...

Roy isnt going to do that...

Roy would know what he would have to do to beat frazier, and laying on the ropes wouldnt be one of them

Roy also wasnt laying on the ropes against someone the size of Frazier

mickey malone
07-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah no kidding.....The level of stupidity and ignorance in NSB can be entertaining at times, nauseating at others. Most of the children in there can count on there fingers the number of pre-1990 fights they've seen.....and practically all of them nuthug on the current era. Sad thing is, most of them don't realize that they're prime evidence for the argument that mankind's intelligence is regressing not moving forward.

Poet
And to think that dinosaurs ruled the earth for over 300,000,000 years.. What hope is there for the future of mankind lol...

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey guys to keep it in perspective, the basis of bringing Frazier into it was to establish whether or not Roy was better inside than Ali or not.

Good or bad analogy to use but what do you think about who was better inside ? Ali or Jones.

I dont think there is much to choose.

THE REED™
07-14-2009, 11:27 AM
too tough to compare... u have a guy who didnt do a lot of inside fighting compared to a guy who did a lot...

THe thing is Ali got hit a lot on the inside, he was just tough enough to absorb it..

IMO neither fighter is REALLY good fighting on the inside

I think Floyd is incredible on the inside... but hes not in the discussion

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
too tough to compare... u have a guy who didnt do a lot of inside fighting compared to a guy who did a lot...

[B]THe thing is Ali got hit a lot on the inside, he was just tough enough to absorb it../B]

IMO neither fighter is REALLY good fighting on the inside

I think Floyd is incredible on the inside... but hes not in the discussion

That is pretty much why i cant choose one over the other, because Ali did take a lot on the inside and still came through tough fights, but Roy did also slip and fire a few nice hooks to the body around the elbows when inside etc.

Jones was probably better offensively inside but i think Ali was better at protecting himself inside, although that sounds strange thing to say because he did take a lot on the inside, Jones tried hard to keep his back of the ropes where as Ali was sometimes to content to lay there, Jones looked vulnerable to me when on the inside where as Ali looked more at ease albeit not that effective.

Toney did occasionally have Roy on the ropes in their fight and Roy did a pretty decent job there, but thats the thing with Roy he did look okay when firing back, but he looked open and uncomfortable when he just kept his hands up, hence the reason i say Ali was better defensively and Roy offensively.

THE REED™
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM
i would accept that