View Full Version : your fav Philly fighter????

TredKiller
07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
who's your fav philly fighter????

Dynamite Kid
07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Matthew Saad Muhammad

Marvin Johnson 1+2
Qawi 1+2
Conteh 1+2
Lopez 1+2

He was in some tough battles.

Gotta say though i thought he had terrible accuracy and as strange as it sounds i dont think his stamina was that great. Great chin and a huge heart though, good puncher.

RightCross94
07-12-2009, 11:46 PM
either hopkins frazier or walcott

MANGLER
07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Respect the hell outta all those guys, but Bhop is my boy.

Eric Holder
07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tc7Kx468fiY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tc7Kx468fiY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FMdGNhSLE6A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FMdGNhSLE6A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

▀ringer
07-13-2009, 02:32 AM
I got love for every Philly fighter that's ever laced them up.

Everybody from Qawi, Muhammad, Levinsky, and Walcott, to Taylor, Frazier, Chambers, Hopkins, Cunningham, Robinson, and Young.

My all time favorite would be Smokin' Joe.

With Hopkins and Taylor battling it out for #2.

BennyST
07-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Man, you forgot the baddest Philly fighter ever! 'Bad' Bennie Briscoe! The ultimate Philly fighter.

▀ringer
07-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Man, you forgot the baddest Philly fighter ever! 'Bad' Bennie Briscoe! The ultimate Philly fighter.

Seems like the only one around in the boxing world that gives Benny any love is Bernard.

He was definitely ahead of his time, and really something special to watch.

JAB5239
07-13-2009, 06:32 AM

Everybody from Qawi, Muhammad, Levinsky, and Walcott, to Taylor, Frazier, Chambers, Hopkins, Cunningham, Robinson, and Young.

Pretty sure Qawi was from Camden NJ.

As far as the original question.....Muhammad was just great to watch. Never in a dull fight.

Monkz
07-13-2009, 06:35 AM
B-hop, simply because I haven't seen enough of the others, I've saw a bit of Frazier but even still I like Hopkins more.

RightCross94
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM

Briscoe was a very good fighter, he never won a title though, pretty odd considering the abilities he had, is there any particular reason why? was he ducked by the champs in his prime?

Dynamite Kid
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM

I must of missed Joe's name on the options, but yeah ive changed my mind its definitely Joe Frazier for me.

Joe Frazier is the toughest SOB ive ever seen and he was waaay more exciting than Ali, he made those fights great by turning them into wars not the other way around.

Fav Frazier fights Quarry 1+2,Bonavena 1+2,Ali 1+3,Bugner,Mathis.

Frazier is a guy you would hate to fight because he never left you alone for 5 min, horrible man to fight.

Southpaw16BF
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Briscoe was a very good fighter, he never won a title though, pretty odd considering the abilities he had, is there any particular reason why? was he ducked by the champs in his prime?

Briscoe would get 3 shots at winning the Middlweight crown and fail in all of them. His lost a UD to Carlos Monzon for the undisputed crown and then was beaten by hard punching Colombian Rodrigo Valdez for the WBC Title and then the WBC and WBA Title's.

Shame real, Briscoe was worthy of a Title, and am sure would of been champ in some era's especailly todays. Do he did get a drawn with future king Monzon the first time they met in 67 in Argentina, he also held wins over George Benton, Tony Mundine, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, and Eugene Hart.

Valdez is the only ever man to finish Briscoe inside the distance, a credit to just how hard Valdez punched.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/azmye7Qp0cg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/azmye7Qp0cg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf0-UZCdsHg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf0-UZCdsHg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMJXj_HvLFg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMJXj_HvLFg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Southpaw16BF
07-13-2009, 08:06 AM
A Article On Briscoe..............
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260588&highlight=bennie+briscoe

bojangles1987
07-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Mine is Frazier, he was amazing and gave us what most consider the greatest trilogy ever and greatest fight ever against Ali.

TheGreatA
07-13-2009, 10:57 AM

He wasn't good enough to beat Monzon or Valdez. Perhaps if he had gotten a shot earlier, he could have beaten a declining Benvenuti before Monzon got to him.

Recently I've watched a lot of film of Joey Giardello, an enduring middleweight contender in the 1950's and 60's. He eventually won the championship from Dick Tiger at 33 years of age, having fought more than 120 times.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ny_tiYLIFCw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ny_tiYLIFCw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tommy Loughran was a classic boxer who wasn't afraid of fighting anybody. Fought Harry Greb, Gene Tunney, Mickey Walker, Max Baer, Jim Braddock and several other champions from middleweight up to heavyweight.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lkgm5C7Xvfc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lkgm5C7Xvfc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mickey malone
07-13-2009, 11:22 AM
who's your fav philly fighter????
Terrible Tim Witherspoon was a fighter I followed throughout the 80's & 90's would effectionatly be my fav.. He could'a been so much better, if he'd have been more responsive to life style & training issues.. Getting ripped off my King didn't exactly help either..

sugarshanenas
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Meldrick Taylor and also one of my fav fighters of all time

1SILVA
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
The Executioner is my favorite Philly fighter of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadow boxer 3
07-13-2009, 04:35 PM
meldrick taylor. hands speed for days

Southpaw16BF
07-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Am not surprised. But one great Philly fighter who hasnt been mentioned is former WBA Bantamweight Champion Jeff Chandler.

Here's a thread I done about him for all you need to know about this extremely underrated fighter...........
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243712&highlight=jeff+chandler

▀ringer
07-14-2009, 01:25 AM
Pretty sure Qawi was from Camden NJ.

As far as the original question.....Muhammad was just great to watch. Never in a dull fight.

Yep, you're correct.

I just checked ; born in Baltimore, moved to Camden.

Could've sworn he was a Philly guy.

▀ringer
07-14-2009, 01:30 AM
I must of missed Joe's name on the options, but yeah ive changed my mind its definitely Joe Frazier for me.

Joe Frazier is the toughest SOB ive ever seen and he was waaay more exciting than Ali, he made those fights great by turning them into wars not the other way around.

Frazier is a guy you would hate to fight because he never left you alone for 5 min, horrible man to fight.

Absolutely.

That's what endeared me to him at a very early age. I loved that style, take away Joe's style and ability to absorb and dish out the punishment, and those 3 Ali fights wouldn't be very memorable.

I loved the Quarry fights as well, my favorite of all time is obviously Ali 1 ; Joe must've felt like a million bucks that night after he won that one.

I still watch it from time to time and smile when I see him celebrating.

JAB5239
07-14-2009, 05:08 AM
Yep, you're correct.

I just checked ; born in Baltimore, moved to Camden.

Could've sworn he was a Philly guy.

He fought like a Philly fighter. Always reminded me of a poor mans Joe Frazier.

▀ringer
07-14-2009, 05:18 AM
He fought like a Philly fighter. Always reminded me of a poor mans Joe Frazier.

I'm pretty sure the style had something to do with it.

I guess I just wasn't paying any attention to the intro's.

The Holyfield fight was actually on TV just the other week.

ironjab
07-14-2009, 06:24 AM
meldrick taylor, a prime taylor v a prime mayweather, who would you pick?

mickey malone
07-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Glad you mentioned Bugner.. I went to that fight with my Dad at Earls Court in 1973.. Bugner put up a terrific fight, getting knocked down & coming back stronger.. Frazier rightly took the DC but finished with both eyes nearly shut..
I do a little bit of business with JB occasionaly.. He's a top bloke...

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Absolutely.

That's what endeared me to him at a very early age. I loved that style, take away Joe's style and ability to absorb and dish out the punishment, and those 3 Ali fights wouldn't be very memorable.

I loved the Quarry fights as well, my favorite of all time is obviously Ali 1 ; Joe must've felt like a million bucks that night after he won that one.

I still watch it from time to time and smile when I see him celebrating.

Yeah that was pretty much what made Frazier the fighter he was, he was so tough you just cant emphasize it enough, has anyone ever pushed themselves to the brink as much as Joe ? he gave you everything he had got , he is the type of guy that would of literally fought to death if need be.

The Ali fights did not really show me that Ali was the better fighter over the coarse of the trilogy, because Joe won the first fight clearly and the second fight was not even a Championship distance fight, and Ali was allowed to hold excessively. The 3rd fight Joe was even more shot than Ali because of his wars with Quarry 1+2, Bonavena 1+2,Ali, Bugner, Mathis, and because of his beating to Foreman.

Here is the thing though................people say Joe was getting beat up in those last few rounds in the Thrilla in Manilla, but i have a different take on it because that was Ali' last stand, that was Ali saying im gonna throw everything at you this round because im about to call it a day and quit, so even though Joe took a beating in those rounds it was because Ali turned up the heat because it was last stand before quit, if Joe's corner had read into what Ali was doing they would not have stopped the fight and Joe would of won. Why did Ali have those big rounds and go back to the corner and ask them to cut the gloves off ? because that big barrage was him saying im throwing everything and if you are still there im quitting.

You know Joe is never gonna quit he would have to be carried out the rather than quit, im not saying that to make Ali a quitter because he is not, but im pointing out that Joe's corner stopped that fight when Joe would of kept going.

JAB5239
07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah that was pretty much what made Frazier the fighter he was, he was so tough you just cant emphasize it enough, has anyone ever pushed themselves to the brink as much as Joe ? he gave you everything he had got , he is the type of guy that would of literally fought to death if need be.

The Ali fights did not really show me that Ali was the better fighter over the coarse of the trilogy, because Joe won the first fight clearly and the second fight was not even a Championship distance fight, and Ali was allowed to hold excessively. The 3rd fight Joe was even more shot than Ali because of his wars with Quarry 1+2, Bonavena 1+2,Ali, Bugner, Mathis, and because of his beating to Foreman.

Here is the thing though................people say Joe was getting beat up in those last few rounds in the Thrilla in Manilla, but i have a different take on it because that was Ali' last stand, that was Ali saying im gonna throw everything at you this round because im about to call it a day and quit, so even though Joe took a beating in those rounds it was because Ali turned up the heat because it was last stand before quit, if Joe's corner had read into what Ali was doing they would not have stopped the fight and Joe would of won. Why did Ali have those big rounds and go back to the corner and ask them to cut the gloves off ? because that big barrage was him saying im throwing everything and if you are still there im quitting.

You know Joe is never gonna quit he would have to be carried out the rather than quit, im not saying that to make Ali a quitter because he is not, but im pointing out that Joe's corner stopped that fight when Joe would of kept going.

Very interesting take. Not sure if I agree, but it is definite food for thought.

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Glad you mentioned Bugner.. I went to that fight with my Dad at Earls Court in 1973.. Bugner put up a terrific fight, getting knocked down & coming back stronger.. Frazier rightly took the DC but finished with both eyes nearly shut..
I do a little bit of business with JB occasionaly.. He's a top bloke...

I like it how you mentioned Witherspoon he is one of my fav HW to. The focused 1983 version of Witherspoon was damn good fighter.

Wow you were there, nice one! wish i could of seen Joe Frazier fight in the flesh, lucky get :lol1:

I thought Bugner fought well but when you fight Frazier you need to use more than a left hand to keep him at bay, not to say Bugner could of won but i think he would of done even better if he had let the right hand fly more, he did well early but when Joe starts smokin and gets into his rhythm its pretty much Frazier's fight.

How is JB now ? i remember an article in the newspaper about him suffering from an illness or something.

Dynamite Kid
07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Very interesting take. Not sure if I agree, but it is definite food for thought.

Cheers.

People always like to say that Joe was the worse for wear during that part of the fight, but it would of been interesting to see who was the worse for wear had the spent Ali had to come out for that last round after expending so much energy.