View Full Version : Is Arturo Gatti a HOF?

1SILVA
07-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Another tragic death hit the world of boxing. He was one of the most exciting fighters in the history of boxing. Severely flawed, he made the most out of his heart, guts and punching power. Did he do enough to make the IBHOF?

MANGLER
07-11-2009, 06:47 PM
He might get in based solely on the fact that fans loved him so much. Achievement wise tho, he shouldn't be there.

KittenFlaps
07-11-2009, 06:50 PM
He might get in based solely on the fact that fans loved him so much. Achievement wise tho, he shouldn't be there.

Agreed. Regardless, boxing will never forget him.

miamijohn
07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I think any fighter who has had 4 "fight of the years" and many wars as he did...should and most likely will . I hope so.

RightCross94
07-11-2009, 06:54 PM
in regards to his achievments....no

but in the wake of his death its hard to say no and im sure the people who decide it feel the same

Hearnsz
07-11-2009, 07:13 PM
in regards to his achievments....no

but in the wake of his death its hard to say no and im sure the people who decide it feel the same

I voted yes and only read afterwards that he died.
It's the hall of FAME.
If you make a thread and ask about the most exciting fighter in the last 20 years most people will say either Gatti or Tyson.
Gatti has also given us multiple fights of the year.
I'm sure that 50 years from now people will still know who Gatti was. That's fame.

PS: Most people will remember Gatti for his chin and heart, and lack of defense. But he laso threw awesome combinations, and used his whole body for punches. It's something you rarely see tbh.

Ziggy Stardust
07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
IBHOF is about popularity not skill: Any fighter with a reasonably sized fan base gets in.

Poet

1SILVA
07-11-2009, 07:20 PM
IBHOF is about popularity not skill: Any fighter with a reasonably sized fan base gets in.

Poet

I always value your opinion poet. Who was the better and more popular fighter. Mancini or Gatti? Who gets in first? I always thought Mancini was a huge fan favorite with limited skill

Ziggy Stardust
07-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I always value your opinion poet. Who was the better and more popular fighter. Mancini or Gatti? Who gets in first? I always thought Mancini was a huge fan favorite with limited skill

I'd say Gatti.....Mancini was quite popular while active but kind of forgotten after he retired. Gatti STILL gets talked about well after his last great fight.

Poet

Boogie Nights
07-11-2009, 07:34 PM
if Jess Willard is in Hall of Fame, then why would anyone deny Gatti a spot?

and dont give me that Johnson win

joe strong
07-11-2009, 07:37 PM
He's in the joe strong hall of fame along with corrales & ward! I'll miss you man!

bklynboy
07-11-2009, 07:54 PM

What is the purpose of the Hall of Fame? I think it is for boxers who deserve to be remembered for what they did in the ring. He's not the GOAT. He's not an ATG, but the man should -- and will -- be remembered as the man with the most amazing comebacks.

I think it all boils down to how you define the HOF. If it's only for the best of the best then Gatti doesn't deserve to be included. But if it includes boxers who participated in numerous memorable fights then he ought to be included.

Gatti deserves to be remembered.

Dynamite Kid
07-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Mancini
Chacon
Gatti

Sooo!!! exciting to watch.

1SILVA
07-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Mancini
Chacon
Gatti

Sooo!!! exciting to watch.

Add Saad Muhammed to that list. Chacon is in the hall of fame

Bushbaby
07-11-2009, 08:48 PM
He's in the joe strong hall of fame along with corrales & ward! I'll miss you man!

That's the best answer yet!!Real talk,Cruzan Mario's hall of fame must include Gatti as well!!

paul750
07-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Last time I checked, you don't win world titles based on heart alone.

GodOfThunder
07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Yes, he deserves it. He was my favorite boxer. Certainly not the best ever, but 4 fights of the year.
Anyone who voted "No" must not have seen any of the Robinson or Ward fights. They were epic.

1SILVA
07-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Reasons why gatti is not a hof'er

didn't win one round in his brutal, one sided losses to mayweather and de la hoya

lost to journeymen like ivan robinson, mickey ward and alfonso gomez

never defeated a single hof fighter.

Loved to see him fight, but he was not a hof'er

roujinziro
07-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Gatti put on great fights, but wasn't a great fighter. He may get in based on sentimentality, but not on merit.

Miburo
07-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Gatti put on great fights, but wasn't a great fighter. He may get in based on sentimentality, but not on merit.

Sums it up quite nicely.

K-Nan
07-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Last time I checked, you don't win world titles based on heart alone.

Exactly. People act like he was just a brawling, 1 dimensional fighter. He had a lot more to his game than that.

RightCross94
07-12-2009, 12:42 AM
he probably shouldnt get in based on what he accomplished, but its not like he was a face first uncoordianted retard who just took beatings

the guy had great power (especially at 130), a great left hook, good combinations, he could actually box and move reasonably well when he tried to, had a solid chin for most of his career.....very good fighter

Southpaw16BF
07-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Arturo Gatti's Accomplishments
2 Weight Divison Champion IBF 130(3 Defences) WBC 140(2 Defences)

Resume Of Wins
Tracy Harris Patterson x2
Wilson Rodriguez
Gabriel Ruelas
Joey Gamache
Joe Hutchinson(18-0-2)
Terron Millett
Micky Ward x2
Gianluca Branco (32-0)
Leonard Dorin (22-0)
Jesse James Leija
Thomas Damgaard (37-0)

Involed in 4 Ring Magazines Fight Of The Year.

Now his resume of wins has some pretty good accomplished fighters on it, and Gatti did take beat a good few unbeaten figters, aswell as some accomplished veterans. And lets not forget he is argubaly the most exciting TV fighter.

To be honest I can think of more worthy fighters to be inducted but for the memories he gave the fans and his accomplishments he achieved he should be inducted, especailly after dieing so young.

Owlzfan84
07-12-2009, 01:07 AM
if it comes to accolades he falls short. But i vote him in on the sheer fact that he left everything in the ring in every single one of his fights, and put on the most exciting fights of our generation, not to mention picking up two world titles in two different weight classes. The man has so many legendary and epic fights its scary.

JM1
07-12-2009, 02:25 AM
skill wise he shouldnt be a HOF but if we consider the great fights he gave us then he should be

WhoreUs
07-12-2009, 03:09 AM

what mang said.

it's the hall of fame not hall of titles/achievements/skills.

just on his titles/achievements/skills the answer would be no.

but......the guy was involved in what 4 fight of the years?

he had a great fanbase and he got in there with some great fighters like oscar and floyd.

Heru
07-12-2009, 03:26 AM
Gatti won titles in 3 weight classes, was in 4 FOTY's (it should have been 5), and how can we forget the most important reason... Barry McGuigan is in the Hall of Fame.

RIP Arturo

Leakbeak
07-12-2009, 04:27 AM
I dunno about that. He only ever got battered by elite fighters such as Oscar and Floyd, plus he made an impact on the sport with his Ward trilogy. Even if he didn't die, I think they would induct him for that reason. It isn't just sport it is entertainment too.

I also think you need to look up the people who do make it in the IBHOF. The bar isn't set very high and basically anyone and everyone who is a someone in the sport is eventually inducted in to the HOF. How many boxing fans do you know who haven't heard of Gatti? He would have and should have made it into there anyway.

mickey malone
07-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Right now? He can be whatever we want him to be...

JC Warrior
07-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Can anyone produce the list of criteria from the hall itself that states what makes a fighter qualify for induction?

The name, hall of FAME, suggests that fame would be a significant factor for induction. Arturo Gatti was famous.

I would vote him in based on; 4 times he was in the Ring Magazine Fight of the Year (I thought it should have been five because his fight vs Rodriguez was much more compelling that Tyson Holyfield 1). 3 times involved in the Ring's round of the year, and there was no more entertaining a fighter in the last 30 years with the possible exceptions of Ray Leonard or Mike Tyson.

Clegg
07-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Barry McGuigan has done a lot for other boxers behind the scenes over the years. People always bring him up as if he's a terrible inclusion, but you have to remember that part of the reason for him being there is what he did outside of the ring.

Besides, McGuigan's best win (Pedroza) is better than Gatti's best win.

I like Gatti, but I don't think winning x number of paper titles is enough if you don't have the wins to match the other guys that are being put up for the vote, and IMO there are other guys not yet in there who deserve it more than he does.

Thread Stealer
07-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Really, what's the clear-cut criteria on HOF standards?

I'm personally feel it should be more about your ring accomplishments and I guess you can say I'd rather it be more of a "Hall of Great" than "Hall of Fame".

So because of that, I'd say no.

But since the criteria for induction isn't defined clearly, and it is the Hall of Fame, I won't be bothered that much if Gatti gets in. After all, Jose ****ing Suliaman is the IBHOF. Gatti did good for the sport, Suliaman is a piece of excrement.

brently1979
07-12-2009, 06:10 AM
I dunno about that. He only ever got battered by elite fighters such as Oscar and Floyd, plus he made an impact on the sport with his Ward trilogy. Even if he didn't die, I think they would induct him for that reason. It isn't just sport it is entertainment too.

I also think you need to look up the people who do make it in the IBHOF. The bar isn't set very high and basically anyone and everyone who is a someone in the sport is eventually inducted in to the HOF. How many boxing fans do you know who haven't heard of Gatti? He would have and should have made it into there anyway.

I agree, I think he would have been in even if he didn't die. I think he belongs in there for sure. Without a doubt. He did a lot for boxing, just ask HBO.

Shadow boxer 3
07-12-2009, 06:29 AM
he will get in cause of his heart, the exciting fights he was in, and he had a fanbase. the fact that he was murdered at a young age almost makes it certain he gets in

Tuggers1986
07-12-2009, 06:44 AM
I wonder how this poll would have looked a week ago

mickey malone
07-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Barry McGuigan has done a lot for other boxers behind the scenes over the years. People always bring him up as if he's a terrible inclusion, but you have to remember that part of the reason for him being there is what he did outside of the ring.

Besides, McGuigan's best win (Pedroza) is better than Gatti's best win.

I like Gatti, but I don't think winning x number of paper titles is enough if you don't have the wins to match the other guys that are being put up for the vote, and IMO there are other guys not yet in there who deserve it more than he does.
Discretion being the better part of valor, I won't mention any names, but recently, an ex pro friend of mine organized a charity function in Northern Ireland.. Many other ex pros showed up & gave their support.. A cordial invitation was also sent out to McGuigan.. Barry (by far, the biggest name) responded by sending back a price list, quoting his extortionate hourly rate.. It was then decided to contact him directly by phone in order to persuade him.. Regretably, he declined the opportunity..
I KNOW McGuigan has done countless good for the sport, & I've ALWAYS admired him for it.. But on this particular occasion, he proved far less than positive..

BennyST
07-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Reasons why gatti is not a hof'er

didn't win one round in his brutal, one sided losses to mayweather and de la hoya

lost to journeymen like ivan robinson, mickey ward and alfonso gomez

never defeated a single hof fighter.

Loved to see him fight, but he was not a hof'er

I don't know about that man. You're listing solely his worst points. His losses to Mayweather and Gomez were when he was severely past it. He was never a WW fighter, moving up to fight the best WW at that time in Oscar, Oscar also happened to be a very good WW then too.

I wouldn't necessarily call Robinson a journeyman either. He was never that great but at the time he fought Gatti he was at his best and his best was pretty damn good.

Anyway, while you list only his bad points, why not show his good also?

He was a two time, two division champion and made three defenses of his SFW title that he won off the great fighter Tracy Patterson. He also made three defenses of his JWW title, losing it to the P4P No. 1 in Mayweather.

His resume is actually pretty good. Tracy Patterson (long time SBW and two time, two division champion), Calvin Grove (FW champ), Gabriel Ruelas (SFW champ), Joey Gamache (two division champ), Terron Millett (JWW champ), Leonard Dorin (undefeated JWW champ), Jesse James Leija (two time champion), along with some great fighters and top contenders such as Wilson Rodriguez 44-7, Micky Ward 37-11, Gianluca Branco 32-0, Thomas Damgaard 37-0. That's not such a bad resume for a guy that supposedly could only lose to a journeyman.

Edit: Oh, and admittedly, I also don't believe he should be admitted to the HOF based on his accomplishments because there are better fighters that haven't made it, but he also brought great fights to an otherwise slightly lackluster era and brought a new legion of fans. On that side of things I could understand why he would get in and maybe think he should.