View Full Version : History's Greatest Body Punchers?

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 05:10 PM
This is an area for debate.. Throughout the sports history, many fighters have enforced vicious body punching as their trademark.. Of the old adage, that if you kill the body, the head will drop..

Who were these fighters?
Who was king of the body snatchers?

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Some of my favorites include,

Rueban Olivares
Mike McCallum
Ike Williams
Mike Tyson

Miburo
07-11-2009, 05:30 PM
McCallum, Chavez, Arguello

Thread Stealer
07-11-2009, 05:38 PM
There's been so many.

Mike McCallum was called the "Body Snatcher" for a reason. Roberto Duran had a vicious body attack. Julio Cesar Chavez and Henry Armstrong of course.

Alexis Arguello mixed in body shots extremely well with his head shots, especially his right uppercut to the body. Fighters like Chavez spend more time focusing on the body. Other fighters like Arguello select it at very opportune times when the opponent is more vulnerable there, and it'll help set up the follow up punch upstairs. Arguello's stoppage of Mancini is an example.

Mike Tyson was a destructive body puncher, as was Joe Frazier.

TredKiller
07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
here's a name that deserves a mentione

fred apostelli, a fierce bodypuncher

Southpaw16BF
07-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Bob Fitzsimmons
Julio Cesar Chavez
Tony Zale
Mike McCaullum
Jake Lamotta
Roberto Duran
Henry Armstrong
Ricky Hatton
Micky Ward
Mike Tyson
Ike Williams
Roy Jones Jr

There's a good few plenty more. Just a good few..........

Dynamite Kid
07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
McCallum
Barrera
Mosley
Chavez
Arguello
Whitaker

Barrera was a committed body puncher, he would focus on the chest only sometimes(Morales 1) and he was excellent at switching the attack from body to head (Paul Lloyd)

His left hook to the body of Wenton was a perfect punch.

I think he would of had trouble finding Hamed, if had not had the foresight to realize that Hamed uses a lot of upper body movement, so focus on hitting the body to stand him up for the head shots. That is exactly what Barrera did if you watch the fight, he went down stairs constantly with his combos and brought them back upstairs.

Left hook to the body of Ayala to.

For such a tall man i always thought Hearns was an underrated Body puncher.

RightCross94
07-11-2009, 07:27 PM
JC chavez sr
Mike McCallum
Duran

Hearns was a vicious, vicious puncher to the body, he definitely deserves a mention

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Some good calls.. Fitzsimmons, Duran, Chavez & Barrera especially..

Jack Dempsey, Tommy Morrison & Ricky Hatton are all worth a mention..

talip bin osman
07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
carlos palomino IMO desrves a mention...

i dont know if he deserves to be on the list with his fairly limited skills & all... but i think micky ward was a terrific body puncher...

Ziggy Stardust
07-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Frazier and McCallum for me. Tyson wasn't really a body puncher: He had the POTENTIAL to be a great one but never really committed himself seriously to doing it.

Poet

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Frazier and McCallum for me. Tyson wasn't really a body puncher: He had the POTENTIAL to be a great one but never really committed himself seriously to doing it.

Poet
But could reduce opponents to 'making womanly gestures' lol

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 09:06 PM
carlos palomino IMO desrves a mention...

i dont know if he deserves to be on the list with his fairly limited skills & all... but i think micky ward was a terrific body puncher...
I thought Hearns was brilliant at everything, but I'm biased, so I'm glad you mentioned him..

Ziggy Stardust
07-11-2009, 09:08 PM
But could reduce opponents to 'making womanly gestures' lol

Tyrell Biggs was an exceptional case: Tyson despised him and wanted to punish him for an extended stretch instead of KOing him. It did show what he should have been capable on a regular bases.

Poet

bojangles1987
07-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Frazier is definitely one, it was the biggest reason he gave Ali so much trouble. Also Duran and Chavez.

mickey malone
07-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Tyrell Biggs was an exceptional case: Tyson despised him and wanted to punish him for an extended stretch instead of KOing him. It did show what he should have been capable on a regular bases.

Poet
Agreed.. He kinda saved it for the guys he had a personal dislike for.. He crippled the body of Tony Tubbs & Julius Francis.. Both were chubby fellows, & Tyson was well known for goading corpulent fighters.. He genuinely thought they were a disgrace.. Just after KO'ing Tubbs, he spouted, 'How dare they step inside a ring with me, and test their primitive skills, looking like that'.. He was one funny dude, and I miss him terribly..

Dynamite Kid
07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I myself dont consider Mike Tyson a great body puncher, i think Tyson looked like a great body punches because he was a great PUNCHER, however my criteria for a great body puncher is someone who commits to body punching and strategically looks to break the opponent down.

Take away Mike's power and did he have a great body attack?

Mike was good at hitting you down stairs and bringing his shots upstairs, but i saw that more as a ploy to find then head rather than to hurt the body.

Having said that if you are knocking guys out with a body shot then your body attack is having the desired effect because the opponent cant continue.

STILL_DETOX
07-12-2009, 12:33 PM
tyson in the ferguson fight
rjjr in the hill fight
gerald mcclellan had a beast left hook to the body

them_apples
07-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Joe Frazier and Marco Antonio Barrera

TheGreatA
07-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Carlos Palomino is a good mention:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJPjpaPIOZU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJPjpaPIOZU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Some of the most brutal body punches I've ever seen. Stracey was a good fighter but he was reduced into a punching bag at the end of it.

Also Jose Torres:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FldIGvKNRPc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FldIGvKNRPc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5CyqzA7AH0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5CyqzA7AH0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He was well-taught by Cus D'Amato, ended every combination he threw with a left hook to the body.

Southpaw16BF
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
tyson in the ferguson fight
rjjr in the hill fight
gerald mcclellan had a beast left hook to the body

McClellan shows his body punching ability against Sammy Brooks
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rd0FzSL20ZE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rd0FzSL20ZE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3:10..........

Dynamite Kid
07-12-2009, 06:40 PM
I love this fight because emphasizes what a World class fighter Marco was, i know he is only fighting Paul Lloyd but still.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/geHBBMRpBMg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/geHBBMRpBMg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JAB5239
07-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Tommy Hearns was a helluva good body puncher. The shots he was hitting Iran Barkley with in their first fight could have felled a tree.

boxingbuff
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Heavyweights......Smokin' Joe Frazier

sonnyboyx2
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Ray Leonard was an awesome body puncher

boxingbuff
07-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Ray Leonard was an awesome body puncher

I agree.But I have a question for you.....Who is the better body puncher,SRL or Roberto Duran.

Watch the 1st Sugar Ray-Duran fight.

oldgringo
07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Not the greatest, but very good anyway:

Michael Dokes (one of the more dedicated body punching heavyweights)

James Toney (he broke down several world class fighters with pinpoint body punches)

Jose Luis Castillo (among the more fierce body punchers of the last 10-15 years)

joseph5620
07-17-2009, 12:27 AM
There's been so many.

Mike McCallum was called the "Body Snatcher" for a reason. Roberto Duran had a vicious body attack. Julio Cesar Chavez and Henry Armstrong of course.

Alexis Arguello mixed in body shots extremely well with his head shots, especially his right uppercut to the body. Fighters like Chavez spend more time focusing on the body. Other fighters like Arguello select it at very opportune times when the opponent is more vulnerable there, and it'll help set up the follow up punch upstairs. Arguello's stoppage of Mancini is an example.

Mike Tyson was a destructive body puncher, as was Joe Frazier.

Those are excellent examples.

joseph5620
07-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Tommy Hearns was a helluva good body puncher. The shots he was hitting Iran Barkley with in their first fight could have felled a tree.

Yeah, Barkley visibly winced in pain.

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I can't think of the term "body puncher" without Julio Cesar Chavez and Roberto Duran immediately springing to mind.

After those two, the next two that immediately spring to mind are Joe Frazier and Marco Antonio Barrera ; two of my all time favorite fighters, and great workers of the body in their own right.

princemanspoper
07-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Most body punchers tend to be some of the most overrated fighters in the history of boxing - Marco Antonio barerra,Joe frazier ect

RightCross94
07-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Most body punchers tend to be some of the most overrated fighters in the history of boxing - Marco Antonio barerra,Joe frazier ect

State why you think Marco and Joe are overrated.......

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 04:54 AM
State why you think Marco and Joe are overrated.......

I wouldn't take this guy too seriously ; I'm still trying to figure out if he's an alt or not.

All I've seen him do thus far in the History section is **** on pretty much every fighter from Robinson and Louis, to Frazier, Barrera, and Ali.

Brunswick Assassin
07-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Micky Ward, James Toney, Marvin Hagler, Mike Mc Callum, Vassiliy Jirov are a few.

RightCross94
07-17-2009, 04:58 AM
I wouldn't take this guy too seriously ; I'm still trying to figure out if he's an alt or not.

All I've seen him do thus far in the History section is **** on pretty much every fighter from Robinson and Louis, to Frazier, Barrera, and Ali.

True, because i just checked out some stuff he's posted in another thread and he's just spewing crap.

princemanspoper
07-17-2009, 05:06 AM
fraziers whole legacy is based off of a win over ali and nothing else and this somehow makes him an all time great even argued as a top 5 of all time yet leon spinks who gave ali a pasting frazier could only dream of and is not even recognized as a top 50 heavyweight,pretty much tells you what you need to know there

barerra's biggest win is over naseem hamed who is now in turn now looked up as an overrated bum,So in using that logic barerra's biggest win is over a bum so in turn his career shows up as much and that overrated bum wasn't even at his best,he was also knocked out and humiliated by junior jones who was a good fighter but nothing more

they were also both very dirty fighters who got away with more than their share of low blows and headbutts

And don't bother using the alt accusations,that creepy bastard poet tried as such and failed

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 05:07 AM
True, because i just checked out some stuff he's posted in another thread and he's just spewing crap.

Don't know why a supposed "fan" of this sport would go out of his way to **** on anybody who laces up the gloves ; let alone some of the best to ever do it.

But that's his M.O. I guess.

He'll tire of it sooner or later once he realizes nobody gives a **** about his vitriolic views.

princemanspoper
07-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Says the guy with a homo blogger as his sig pic.Is he your dad?

RightCross94
07-17-2009, 05:14 AM
fraziers whole legacy is based off of a win over ali and nothing else and this somehow makes him an all time great even argued as a top 5 of all time yet leon spinks who gave ali a pasting frazier could only dream of and is not even recognized as a top 50 heavyweight,pretty much tells you what you need to know there

barerra's biggest win is over naseem hamed who is now in turn now looked up as an overrated bum,So in using that logic barerra's biggest win is over a bum so in turn his career shows up as much and that overrated bum wasn't even at his best,he was also knocked out and humiliated by junior jones who was a good fighter but nothing more

they were also both very dirty fighters who got away with more than their share of low blows and headbutts

And don't bother using the alt accusations,that creepy bastard poet tried as such and failed

what?!@

Frazier's legacy is based on his win over Ali, plus wins over many good contenders and a solid reign as HW champ. Leon Spinks beat a shell of Ali. Frazier beat an Ali who was quite close to his prime. What you said is just plain ridiculous.

Barrera's best win (s) is the 2 wins over Morales. Hamed was not a bum, some argue he was perhaps past his best when Barrera beat him but Barrera fought a great fight and embarassed Naz. Barrera had a great career with some great wins and belts in 3 weight classes. Junior was a very good fighter who caught Barrera out...so what? Barrera went on to establish his greatness and develop his style and skills more later on.

Frazier was not really dirty at all, he was a good body puncher however so he may have accidently slipped in a few lowblows now and then. Barrera can pull a few rough tricks but so what? It's boxing and it's not like he is excessively dirty, just been known to pull a trick here and there.

princemanspoper
07-17-2009, 05:14 AM
You mean like every supposed boxing fan? Oh no because no boxing fan ever cries pisses and moans about certain fighters that brushed sand up their vagina do they?

The most asinine journalists are boxing journalists who use flawed,shady myths to discredit the fighters they claim to support

I'm not a hypocrite either way so You can't use that against me

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 05:17 AM

I don't know why I'm even going to bother giving you the time of day ; but I'm feeling saintly, so I'll amuse you......

1.) Casting Frazier's win over Ali aside, what about his wins over Chuvalo, Bonavena, Mathis, Ramos, Zyglewicz, Quarry, Ellis, Foster, and Bugner? All of those guys were pretty highly rated contenders and challengers during Frazier's run at the top. And he beat them all.

2.) Hamed? Looked at as an overrated bum now? I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. :lol1:

What about Barrera's wins over McKinney, Morales, Tapia, Kelley, Ayala, Peden, Juarez, and Salud?

Let me guess ; a bunch of bums, right?

3.) Barrera was a bit of a dirty fighter, but who cares? Every fighter bends the rules a bit in one way or another to get away with what they can from time to time. Everybody from Abe Attell and Sandy Saddler to Evander Holyfield, Joel Casamayor, and Felix Trinidad.

Give me an example of Joe Frazier being a "dirty" fighter.

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Micky Ward, James Toney, Marvin Hagler, Mike Mc Callum, Vassiliy Jirov are a few.
Jirov's an excellent call!

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 07:16 AM
You mean like every supposed boxing fan? Oh no because no boxing fan ever cries pisses and moans about certain fighters that brushed sand up their vagina do they?

The most asinine journalists are boxing journalists who use flawed,shady myths to discredit the fighters they claim to support

I'm not a hypocrite either way so You can't use that against me
Welcome back... Slimey Benitez

BennyST
07-17-2009, 07:50 AM
I think Carlos Palomino was a brilliant body puncher and a hugely underrated one. He was one of those fighters that was very popular at the time but has seemed to fall under the radar a lot. He is a great selection as one of the most brutal body punchers. He absolutely tore John Stracey and Dave Boy Green to pieces with body punching in those fights.

If you haven't seen those, try and find them as they are really great fights. Anyway, Palomino had some of the hardest body shots I think I've ever seen. Simply brutal. Watching Stracey in the twelfth round of that fight was painful. Seeing him scream out in agony and doubling over as Palomino cracked in these huge shots was just .... Ouch!

It look as though he sinks his whole glove into the side of Stracey.

mickey malone
07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
I think Carlos Palomino was a brilliant body puncher and a hugely underrated one. He was one of those fighters that was very popular at the time but has seemed to fall under the radar a lot. He is a great selection as one of the most brutal body punchers. He absolutely tore John Stracey and Dave Boy Green to pieces with body punching in those fights.

If you haven't seen those, try and find them as they are really great fights. Anyway, Palomino had some of the hardest body shots I think I've ever seen. Simply brutal. Watching Stracey in the twelfth round of that fight was painful. Seeing him scream out in agony and doubling over as Palomino cracked in these huge shots was just .... Ouch!

It look as though he sinks his whole glove into the side of Stracey.
I thought what Stracey did to Napoles up a mountain in Mexico was probably the best AT performance from a British fighter, but the body shots from a young Palomino were simply too much, as they were for Dave boy Green to.. Palomino's a good call, but I personally thought Reuben Olivares epitomized the art of body slugging..